Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Asset Inventory - Search Inside Your Assets

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ImpossibleRobert, Jul 12, 2022.

1. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Sorry for the late reply, this comment has totally slipped my attention. Usually the response time is within a day. Happy new year!

Does the problem still occur? Are you using a custom cache directory specified in Unity? If yes, did you add this folder as an additional folder in the settings and deactivate the default "Asset Store Downloads" setting (The documentation also has a small section on this). Otherwise the tool will check in the wrong cache folder and these inconsistencies will happen.

2. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Great chance to get the asset right now with 50% off during the New Year Sale

upload_2024-1-2_12-0-42.png

3. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Grab Asset Inventory while still on discount! Price increase incoming.

4. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Version 2.0 will release soon with a huge load of new features. And with a bit higher price. Good chance to grab Asset Inventory still right now. Just saying :)

5. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Today is a big day everyone. It's been 11 major updates since the release of version 1. We came such a long way from the initial dream of revolutionizing the asset workflow by focusing on assets instead of packages.

I spent the last five months working on the biggest update yet and I am proud to announce: ASSET INVENTORY 2. Today we all can take asset management in Unity to a new level with more than 190 enhancements: dramatic performance improvements all over the place, full support for registry packages, multi-select, a 100% correct update view, package media, audio scrubbing, automatic URP material conversion, third party support, new wizards, much more and that all in a cleaned-up and simplified UI and a huge list of bug fixes.

Many of the features were first discussed or even suggested in the amazing Discord community. I am so grateful for everyone who contributes, gives feedback and helps with testing. The current beta had nearly 20 beta testers that added a level of polish and quality that I would not have dreamed of 5 months ago. I am deeply grateful to you. You all rock. It is all really coming together.

Version 2 marks a new era, a new release cycle and as that is a new package. It will be free for everyone who bought the asset during the last 6 months and 70% off for all owners of version 1. I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your support.

While this is a great day, I also want to ask you a favor. Developing an asset like this is a huge amount of work. I spend most available time developing it rather than coming up with marketing plans and the like. If you have any contacts to reviewers, influencers or are active on social media, please please share these news and your opinion about the tool. Please add a review. Please spread the word.

There is a huge change log, have fun reading it (and the new docs), and have fun trying it out! Looking forward to your feedback.

Start here: https://u3d.as/3e4D

andreiagmu, Oblord and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  6. VanaheimSoftware

VanaheimSoftware

I have to apologize as well. Had quite a load of unforeseen events happening in personal life, so had to shelf this for a while.
    I did a fresh setup a few weeks ago, with a custom cache directory for Unity, since I gave a dedicated SSD for Unity work.
    I had missed that piece of the information from the documentation and it works well.

Appreciate the help.

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  7. JanH

JanH

Robert,

First I want to say the Asset Inventory is a really great product. Well done!

However, you very recently deprecated version 1 and released a version 2 that is virtually identical, but requiring your new customers to buy your product again to install it in new projects (at a decent discount, but still).

I have noticed a number of my assets disappearing like this over the last weeks, and it seems like a cynical money grab by asset makers (and Unity!) to get paid several times for the same asset.

Will you deprecate version 2 in a month or so, and require your customers to buy version 3, and so on?

Areltoid, IIAlex84II and lloydsummers like this.
  8. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I am really glad you like it. Asset Inventory 2 has a change log of more than 190 improvements and fixes. Many of these are huge implementation efforts and make the asset leaps better. Many things also happened under the hood which is really important for an asset like this. The UI got heavily optimized but not dramatically changed (which I personally like). I can only recommend to switch, it is really hard to compare it to version 1 anymore.

Concerning upgrades: Existing users get 70% off and I have opted to have a really big upgrade window of 180 days, so everybody who bought it in that time frame actually gets it for free.

I want to make a personal remark as well regarding asset viability: Asset Inventory 1 had a life-time of 1.5 years and in that time frame received 11 major massive updates (free). Version 2 will have a similar life-cycle. If you want assets to survive on the store and not get abandoned like many others, publishers need to have some sort of recurring purchase happening. This ensures ongoing development and support. The store is simply not big enough to finance this through new customers (and actually not big enough to finance any asset dev full time compared to being employed somewhere).

Check out the full change log since version 1, it's quite a nice list I think: https://wetzold.com/tools/assetinventory/CHANGELOG.md

9. JanH

JanH

At least you're honest enough to admit you deliberately abandon your paying customers every 1.5 years. Please add that note to your asset store description, too, so people will not be mislead into thinking they buy a product, as opposed to renting it for a while.

> I have opted to have a really big upgrade window of 180 days,

So I, who was a long time customer and fell outside that window, was actually punished for my early purchase and had to buy it again.

10. lod3

lod3

For v2, do entire packs still need to be downloaded to import, let's say, just 1 file? For example, downloading a 4.2GB pack where all you need is a 37kb fire hydrant model? This is why I'd ended up discontinuing use of v1.

Please advise!

andreiagmu likes this.
  11. hopeful

hopeful

If only the UAS worked this way. Then we wouldn't have to burn bandwidth and gigs of space just to get a tiny file.

If this was old Unity (4-5.0 era) they'd approach you and pay you to add this to their asset store.

ImpossibleRobert and marcoantap like this.
  12. qwnick

qwnick

Hi, I have a problem, when you click on media assets that are indexed, but no downloaded, it is
    1. Don't show source package on the right tab
    2. Removing assets from search, so with new search, I can't find it anymore.
    3. It's writing "File is not contained in this version of the package anymore. Removing from index" for just indexed assets, and if I download package myself, audio will be there.

Am I doing something wrong, can you suggest solution? upload_2024-4-7_2-36-7.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
  13. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Yes, unfortunately Unity does not have any good means to access only parts of a package. They introduced the option with 2022+ to put the cache folder to a different drive though, which makes it possible to offload this all to a bigger external or additional drive.

andreiagmu likes this.
  14. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Are you by any chance the person I am writing with via Discord? The package information not appearing means that the linked package for this asset does not exist anymore in the database. Did you delete something by any chance or trigger some actions during indexing? The easiest solution is to reindex the affected package. Version 2.1 should come out today or tomorrow and that will include a Maintenance Wizard which will help you clean up the database from such "orphaned" files. Then they will not clutter your search results anymore.

15. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

You are welcome to use AI 1.11 for as long as you wish. I invested a huge amount of time + all the updates over the release cycle to give you a tool for $19 (and now only a $12 upgrade) that is potentially saving you so much more in time and effort and project clutter. I do understand where you are coming from but lifelong free feature development and support is not a model anybody outside open source software should ever do. It is harmful to the developer and the tool itself. People who just bought it should definitely be considered differently since they could not enjoy the life-cycle with all the updates but can now with version 2. I don't want to argue with you. We might have different views on the matter and that's perfectly fine. I will give my best to create the most awesome asset management tool there is :)

andreiagmu likes this.
  16. qwnick

qwnick

No, I am not in contact with you in discord

17. JanH

JanH

I have purchased v2 and the update is certainly well worth it. Thank you for engaging with me honestly on this topic.

As a hoarder of asset packs (and thus part of your core customer segment!) it is disturbing that packs I have paid good money for are discontinued before I even get to use them in a project, but I see the problem faced by you and other developers, too.

andreiagmu and ImpossibleRobert like this.
  18. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

The 50% sale is getting to an end soon. Last chance in a while to get AI 2.0 for half the price.

JanH likes this.
  19. VanaheimSoftware

VanaheimSoftware

Tried to import a prefab from Search tab, and got this exception:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AssetInventory.AssetUtils.RemoveTrailing (System.String source, System.String text) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Utils/AssetUtils.cs:59)
    AssetInventory.AssetInventory.CopyTo (AssetInventory.AssetInfo info, System.String selectedPath, System.Boolean withDependencies, System.Boolean withScripts, System.Boolean fromDragDrop) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/AssetInventory.cs:1549)
    AssetInventory.IndexUI.CopyTo (AssetInventory.AssetInfo info, System.String targetFolder, System.Boolean withDependencies, System.Boolean withScripts, System.Boolean autoPing, System.Boolean fromDragDrop) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/GUI/IndexUI+Search.cs:1357)
    System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__7_0 (System.Object state) (at <7ec8e29954a6455daa48484a381ec418>:0)
    UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext+WorkRequest.Invoke () (at <5879d8d225474494bcffdfe64965038e>:0)
    UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.Exec () (at <5879d8d225474494bcffdfe64965038e>:0)
    UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.ExecuteTasks () (at <5879d8d225474494bcffdfe64965038e>:0)
    Using AI version 2.1.1 in Unity 2022.3.15f1

20. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Is it possible you created the index with version 2.0 of the tool? This can unfortunately lead to such effects. The easiest solution is to reindex that specific package (go to Package List, select package, hold CTRL and select "Reindex Now"). Depending on the amount of packages you have it might be prudent to just reindex all once (fresh DB) with 2.1.1 and you should be good to go with everything. I am really sorry that there were these unfortunate cases with 2.0 that could happen.

If you did not create the index with 2.0 we'll dig deeper from here.

21. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Feature Preview: Sub-package support coming in 2.2

upload_2024-4-30_15-54-43.png

22. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Version 2.2 is huge and has been a long time in the making and in beta testing. It is a non-compatible upgrade though as it introduces some breaking changes:
    • it will change all paths pointing to the Unity asset cache and package cache to use [ac] and [pc] for the root path instead of the absolute path. Advantage is that this still works when moving the cache or when using the database on another computer or sharing between Mac and PC. Old versions of the tool will not understand this though and report the package missing.
    • it will change all paths to use forward slashes only. Advantage is again uniformity across different operating systems allowing interchangeability.
    There will be an upgrade wizard shown before the process starts. Make a backup of your database. Once done this update is a huge step forward in making the database much better reusable. And I actually reap the fruits of the introduction of key mappings I introduced last year which nobody ever used but is now the foundation for all the cache paths.

Feature wise there is a lot in here. Most notable: Sub-Packages, rar & 7z support, dependency support for shaders and cginc making it much better useable importing VFX prefabs, support to use Unity projects as additional folders, the ability to manage package samples and so much more. Check out the change log!

Sub-packages (see screenshot) will appear after reindexing a package containing these, and will be displayed under the main package in the package view. In addition, a ton of smaller things was implemented making it just much better useable.

Thanks so much to the amazing beta tester group who always give so much valuable feedback. You all rock!
    • Sub-Package support (packages in packages, archives in packages, packages in archives, recursive)
    • Display sub-packages as tree under package
    • Support rar & 7z archives
    • Support dependency analysis for shaders, hlsl and cginc files
    • Support dependency resolution for old Unity package formats
    • Support adding Unity projects as additional media folders (will only scan /Assets folder)
    • Support importing prefabs from media folders
    • Support for installing and removing package samples
    • Hide common files defined in search settings only when returning all results
    • Scan all files in media folders when selecting -All- instead of only media files
    • Introduce new default folder type "All Media" which has old behavior of only scanning for audio, images and models
    • Store Asset and Package cache references in relative fashion, making it much easier to reuse the same database on multiple devices out of the box
    • Store all paths (assets, files, additional folders) with forward slashes
    • Index media folders faster
    • New validator: Orphaned Packages
    • New validator: Missing parent package
    • New validator: Orphaned preview folders
    • New validator: Orphaned tag assignments
    • New maintenance view: Packages with Sub-Packages
    • New advanced option to extract only single files when previewing audio clips
    • Support importing full archives
    • Better indicator if something is already in the project
    • Ability to turn off extension filtering in search settings
    • Allow ignoring excluded extensions temporarily when no search results exist
    • Change import structure default (keep original structure and import into ThirdParty sub folder)
    • Improve package delete dialog to include an actual cancel
    • Remove also tags, media and previews when deleting a package
    • Show detected Unity project in folder wizard
    • Show download progress even if total size is not known
    • React more gracefully when database is locked
    • Allow to reindex archives instantly as well
    • Show last update date also for archives
    • Timeout and auto-cleanup of temp files for downloads that are stuck after 30 seconds
    • Make sure extraction cache supports identically named packages in different locations (will invalidate existing cache)
    • Make Asset Store refresh cycle configurable
    • Order dependencies view by path and not type
    • New optional default setting to keep new packages extracted
    • Better report unresolveable dependencies
    • Slighty improve performance of package indexing
    • Fix package list previews disappearing after entering play mode
    • Show indexed file count in package details
    • Wrap long publisher names
    • Use icon for custom packages
    • Optional tile size slider directly under search window
    • New package sort options: Rating, #Reviews
    • Better indication of indexable packages by changing package count display a bit
    • Show number of abandoned packages and sub-packages
    • Align statistics on packages and settings tab
    • Allow turning off additional folders indexing completely
    • Introduce versioned configurations and config upgrader
    • Small UI improvements
    • Improve "Reindex Now" behavior to start much quicker and don't index items twice in edge cases
    • Reduce cache monitoring resource consumption
    • Don't ping assets in temp folder
    • Fix case of version comparison with qualifiers not working as expected
    • Fix packages not being indexed on Reindex Now
    • Fix registry package state not reflected immediately when uninstalling
    • Fix tag search being case-sensitive
    • Fix auto-downloads still happening after setting limit if size is not determined yet
    • Fix media folder caching not working when patterns were used
    • Fix incorrect dependency state for disappeared files
    • Fix edge case of sub progress bar disappearing
    • Fix persistent cache size calculation
    • Fix hotness parsing
    • Fix edge case of stopping indexing not working

andreiagmu and hopeful like this.
  23. tnoel125

tnoel125

Hi,

I'm having an issue where it is taking a long time to extract and some files just aren't working. Is that just an issue with large packages? It's been abut 5 minutes and it still hasn't extracted. I created the index in an empty project upload_2024-5-3_9-57-23.png

24. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Unity packages use the tar format which is indeed really slow to unpack. If you don't see any error in the console it is happily extracting away. I suspect from your screenshot it is one of those gigantic sound bundles like Total Music Collection (17gb) which take a loooong time depending on drive speed. Once extracted they will remain in the extracted cache though so every next access is instant.

25. luamct

luamct

Hello!

I'm currently using AssetInventory 2.2.0 and I'm struggling to index my collection (not that big, 200 packages). The process gets stuck all the time! Sometimes errors pop out, like this one in particular:

IOException: The process cannot access the file 'D:\Users\Luam\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x\Infinity PBR Magic Pig Games\3D ModelsPropsClothingArmor\.Armor Pack 1 - Fantasy RPG-135427.tmp' because it is being used by another process.
    System.IO.FileSystem.DeleteFile (System.String fullPath) (at <b11ba2a8fbf24f219f7cc98532a11304>:0)

But most of the time the process just gets stuck forever on the same package, and I need to manually stop and start it again (sometimes do some cleaning up). I'm taking about 12 hours on a 40Mb package o_O

I know downloading a bunch of stuff is bound to produce some errors, but I'm on package 67/180 and I had to restart it 5 times already! For a fairly pricy asset (which btw I had to buy twice, since I had version 1, had similar issues and decide to buy 2 in the hopes of having a better experience), I'm really not happy with the indexing process so far!

Any suggestions on what can I do to improve or debug the situation?

andreiagmu likes this.
  26. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

This definitely sounds wrong and I'll give my best to get you up to speed. Indexing 200 assets should be around 1-2 hours max. Could you post the full strack trace of the error please so that I can see where this is happening? It is not something I have encountered before but from the looks of it should be quick to fix.

The auto-download process seems to conflict somehow with what Unity package manager is doing. If you have the disk space I recommend downloading the assets you want to index through package manager and then do the indexing through AI.

If you have Discord that would be the best way to chat since I think we need a short bit of back and forth to get this fully cleaned up.

27. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Just in case you want to fix the immediate issue right now, change line 122 in AssetDownloader.cs to this block:

Code (CSharp):
    2. try
    3.                     {
    4.                         File.Delete(fileInfo.FullName);
    5.                     }
    6.                     catch (Exception e)
    7.                     {
    8.                         Debug.Log($"Could not delete temp file {fileInfo.FullName}: {e.Message}. This is unusual but not a problem. Continuing with next package.");
    9.                     }

andreiagmu likes this.
  28. luamct

luamct

Thanks for the quick reply! So, I think the main issue wasn't with AI2, because I tried to download all my packages with the Package Manager before indexing and had similar issues. It kept getting stuck without showing any errors, so I imagine it's some instability with the Asset Store.

After downloading all packages, I managed to finish the Indexing (not without some errors along the way). However I'm having a different issue now, which is a bunch of duplicate packages, like shown in the attached image.

Screenshot 2024-05-10 114858.png

29. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

This seems to be some side effect of the initially failed state. You have two options here: delete the duplicate packages (from the screenshot it looks like the first one is always the wrong one, as it also does not have sub packages) or delete all and let it run a reindex on a clean state.

I'd still like to investigate why the duplications appeared though. If you don't mind, it would be great if you can send me the AssetInventory.db file. That might give a clue.

30. luamct

luamct

Sure! I had to upload to my google drive because it was too big for the forum.

I also got a SQLiteException during the process, which forced me to restart unity. It's down below, in case it helps in your investigation.

About the duplications, I'll try reindexing everything and let you know. Thanks!

SQLiteException: database is locked
    SQLite.PreparedSqlLiteInsertCommand.ExecuteNonQuery (System.Object[] source) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/ThirdParty/SQLite-Net/SQLite.cs.cs:3648)
    SQLite.SQLiteConnection.Insert (System.Object obj, System.String extra, System.Type objType) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/ThirdParty/SQLite-Net/SQLite.cs.cs:1765)
    SQLite.SQLiteConnection.Insert (System.Object obj) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/ThirdParty/SQLite-Net/SQLite.cs.cs:1625)
    AssetInventory.AssetImporter.Persist (AssetInventory.AssetFile file) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/AssetImporter.cs:189)
    AssetInventory.UnityPackageImporter.IndexPackage (AssetInventory.Asset asset, System.Int32 progressId) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/UnityPackageImporter.cs:400)
    AssetInventory.UnityPackageImporter.IndexDetails (System.Int32 assetId, System.Boolean actAsSubImporter) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/UnityPackageImporter.cs:287)
    AssetInventory.AssetInventory.RefreshIndex (System.Boolean force) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/AssetInventory.cs:957)

31. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Is it possible you are using the tool from multiple open projects in parallel right now? This might explain the locking. I recommend closing the AI window when it's not needed in that case.

32. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Preview (v2.3): Grid view for packages was surprisingly one of the most requested features lately. So here we go.

andreiagmu likes this.
  33. andreiagmu

andreiagmu

While using the auto-download option to index my packages, I was frequently having the same (first) issue as @luamct.
    ("IOException: The process cannot access the file 'X' because it is being used by another process. System.IO.FileSystem.DeleteFile...")

This made Asset Inventory to freeze, forcing me to stop and restart Asset Inventory multiple times, to resume the indexing.

After applying this fix, I didn't have this "Asset Inventory freeze" error anymore!
    By the way, I didn't have the other "duplicate packages" error.

Thanks for sharing the fix! :D

Last edited: May 15, 2024
  34. trinistry

trinistry

Hi,
    I got AI a few days ago and I love it.
    Just a quick question, it is not possible to have previews for UI prefabs, is it?

Edit: Another one. Why are some prefabs with missing previews a darker shade of blue than others in the search view?

Last edited: May 20, 2024
  35. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

First, thanks a lot! Concerning previews, here some background: When Asset authors create Unity packages for the Asset Store, Unity will create previews for each file. Unity itself cannot create previews for VFX and UI elements, so these are per default not available. Also, depending on which Unity version is used, the preview images evolve slightly. Audio will change it's tone of orange, the preview cubes their shade of blue.

That being said, version 2.4 of the asset will most likely have preview recreation as its main theme (2.3 is nearly wrapped up). I will then support recreation of any preview in also higher resolutions, with custom lighting if wanted, and most likely also for UI and VFX if I can come up with a good camera algorithm.

36. trinistry

trinistry

That sounds amazing, thank you! It is already so helpful as it is, but previews for UI prefabs would be an extra level of usefulness!

37. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Will do my best. If you have any other suggestions don't hesitate to bring them up here or in the Discord.

38. knighthawk

knighthawk

Hi,

Since updating to the new version of AssetInventory yesterday, on Unity 2022.3.15f1 I am getting the below error in Phase 3 and it stops working.

All was working fine on the older version.

This is the only extra package installed within the Unity Project, eventually it showed a Failed in the Background Tasks and restarting Unity did not make any difference.

I found 8 packages that seems to show up in Update Available, coincidenlty matching the number left before it errors, even after updating these they kept appearing in the list, so I have excluded them but it still errors.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AssetInventory.AssetStore.RetrieveAssetDownloadInfo (System.Int32 id, System.Action`1[T] responseIssueCodeCallback) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/AssetStore.cs:93)
    AssetInventory.AssetInventory.FetchAssetsDetails (System.Boolean forceUpdate, System.Int32 assetId, System.Boolean skipProgress) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/AssetInventory.cs:1416)
    AssetInventory.IndexUI.FetchAssetDetails (System.Boolean forceUpdate, System.Int32 assetId) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/GUI/IndexUI.cs:623)
    System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__7_0 (System.Object state) (at <7ec8e29954a6455daa48484a381ec418>:0)
    UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext+WorkRequest.Invoke () (at <5879d8d225474494bcffdfe64965038e>:0)
    UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.Exec () (at <5879d8d225474494bcffdfe64965038e>:0)
    UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.ExecuteTasks () (at <5879d8d225474494bcffdfe64965038e>:0)

I also have 10 Packages that it states have not been downloaded but they have, and no matter how many times I download them Asset Inventory still states they need to be downloaded.

Detailed Screenshots attached.

Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Attached Files:

39. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I'd love to know which asset is doing this but there will be no indication yet. I solved the immediate error and added some logging so it would be great if you could tell me the asset Id that does this. Please replace the section in AssetStore.cs from line 91 with this longer one:

Code (CSharp):
    1. // special handling of "." also in AssetStoreDownloadInfo
    2. if (result?.result?.download != null)
    3. {
    4.     if (result.result.download.filename_safe_category_name != null)
    5.     {
    6.         result.result.download.filename_safe_category_name = result.result.download.filename_safe_category_name.Replace(".", string.Empty);
    7.     }
    8.     else
    9.     {
    10.         Debug.LogWarning($"Missing category information for asset {id} in Asset Store download info");
    11.     }
    12.     if (result.result.download.filename_safe_package_name != null)
    13.     {
    14.         result.result.download.filename_safe_package_name = result.result.download.filename_safe_package_name.Replace(".", string.Empty);
    15.     }
    16.     else
    17.     {
    18.         Debug.LogWarning($"Missing package information for asset {id} in Asset Store download info");
    19.     }
    20.     if (result.result.download.filename_safe_publisher_name != null)
    21.     {
    22.         result.result.download.filename_safe_publisher_name = result.result.download.filename_safe_publisher_name.Replace(".", string.Empty);
    23.     }
    24.     else
    25.     {
    26.         Debug.LogWarning($"Missing publisher information for asset {id} in Asset Store download info");
    27.     }
    28. }

40. knighthawk

knighthawk

Thank you I will try that now.

Mike

41. knighthawk

knighthawk

That worked, and the warning is below.

Missing category information for asset 125547 in Asset Store download info
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning (object)
    AssetInventory.AssetStore/<RetrieveAssetDownloadInfo>d__20:MoveNext () (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/AssetStore.cs:99)
    System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1<AssetInventory.DownloadInfoResult>:SetResult (AssetInventory.DownloadInfoResult)
    AssetInventory.AssetUtils/<FetchAPIData>d__16`1<AssetInventory.DownloadInfoResult>:MoveNext () (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Utils/AssetUtils.cs:270)
    UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext:ExecuteTasks ()

Missing package information for asset 125547 in Asset Store download info
    AssetInventory.AssetStore/<RetrieveAssetDownloadInfo>d__20:MoveNext () (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/AssetStore.cs:107)
    System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1<AssetInventory.DownloadInfoResult>:SetResult (AssetInventory.DownloadInfoResult)
    AssetInventory.AssetUtils/<FetchAPIData>d__16`1<AssetInventory.DownloadInfoResult>:MoveNext () (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Utils/AssetUtils.cs:270)

Missing publisher information for asset 125547 in Asset Store download info
    AssetInventory.AssetStore/<RetrieveAssetDownloadInfo>d__20:MoveNext () (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/AssetStore.cs:115)

Could not fetch download detail information for 'Untitled'
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log (object)
    AssetInventory.AssetInventory/<FetchAssetsDetails>d__131:MoveNext () (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/AssetInventory.cs:1429)
    System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder`1<AssetInventory.DownloadInfo>:SetResult (AssetInventory.DownloadInfo)
    AssetInventory.AssetStore/<RetrieveAssetDownloadInfo>d__20:MoveNext () (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/AssetStore.cs:126)

Mike

42. knighthawk

knighthawk

I have found an asset titled Untitled.Unitypackage which is a 2018 file from Unity EDU.

I have removed it and will see how it goes.

Thank you for all your help.

Mike

43. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Yes that seems to be the item: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/tutorials/untitled-125547. Could you by any chance send the UnityPackage file for this item for investigation? Thanks for bringing it up. Interesting edge case, hopefully the only one.

44. knighthawk

knighthawk

45. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Great news everyone! Version 2.3 is now available. It's a big mixture of visible changes and exciting enhancements under the hood.

The most visible additions are the long requested grid view for packages, a completely reworked package download experience and import queue and the package data editor. If you are working in a team and provide a central share with custom assets, the new overrides feature might be for you to provide additional metadata.

Nearly all other sections and features got more capabilities, better usability, big performance enhancements and some very important bug fixes. Finally there is a fancy experimental feature which made it in: the ability to create captions for every preview image using AI which can provide even better search results. Looking forward to your feedback on that.

Thanks a lot to the amazing beta community to help shape this update. It's the best version we had so far. Enjoy!

upload_2024-5-28_16-45-4.png

- Allow to switch package view between list and grid display
    - Ability to enlarge or center grid or hide text below a specified tile size
    - Support new package override format to specify package metadata already during indexing
    - Ability to set only search phrase of a saved search leaving all other filters untouched
    - Package data editor for custom unlinked packages
    - Ability to set custom preview images for custom packages and archives
    - Significant performance optimizations after recompile
    - Multiple significant performance optimizations when reloading asset list
    - Allow installing incompatible package versions using advanced option
    - Allow export of archives
    - Create better readable display names for archives
    - Speed up validator for unindexed sub-packages and don't reindex whole package just to add missing sub-packages
    - Ability to deactivate Asset Store live updates
    - Highly improved package import
    - Fix Unity progress bars overlaying interactive import window
    - Fix import getting stuck on packages that are already imported due to missing Unity event
    - Retry cancelled imports upon manual restart
    - Show sub-package count in bulk selection info
    - Initial AI caption generation with fully local and free tooling
    - Ability to search in AI captions
    - Support editing package license and description
    - Periodically recommend database optimization
    - Disallow importing into package folders
    - Persist selected tab in preferences
    - Much improved package download support (pause, resume, abort)
    - Slight Unity 6 UI adjustments
    - Do not search and filter inside sub-packages, just consider root and always show all sub-packages
    - Validator for unprocessed sub-packages
    - Better captions for Fix button in maintenance wizard
    - Advanced option to disable some error logs
    - "What will happen" explanation under "Update" button
    - Handle case of incomplete asset data when fetching from Asset Store
    - Fix DB upgrade on new DB being triggered every time potentially
    - Fix package preview icons missing on scene change
    - Fix missing registry package icons in Unity 2019
    - Fix import not resuming with next in queue after completion in Unity 2023+
    - Fix indexable asset calculation also considering excluded packages now
    - Fix filtered package list not showing a result in some cases with sub-packages
    - Fix constant multi-select when advanced UI is always visible
    - Fix some progress index off by 1 issues
    - Fix edge case of grouped package list with sub packages not displaying
    - Fix import button visible although target path not valid
    - Fix CTRL to deselect not possible in package list

marcoantap and hopeful like this.
  46. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

I've not tried it yet but is there a view additional to that grid view, where selecting from that grid package and seeing the asset images/description in another view .. ie instantly? like where the data is saved locally to disk instead of waiting for it to load from unity servers everytime like existing package manager, adding to unity's constant snail pace time wasting in just about everything it does these days.

curious as that would be worth running the addon through my assets again just to get it all locally cached for quicker browsing

47. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Yes both the metadata as well as the images are saved and cached locally (fun fact: Unity actually only shows the first 4 images and no videos, my tool will show all). Metadata is requested in bulk at first update. Media files are cached upon first access, so the click will load them (pretty fast) and the second click will instantly get them from the cache.

I added the capabilities to fully manage your registry packages including samples now as well and package downloads can be started/paused and resumed. It is shaping up as the much more convenient Package Manager 2.0 :)