Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Asset Inventory - Search Inside Your Assets

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ImpossibleRobert, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

any idea on the tagging? and if I start with processing packages now.. will for 1.7 it update and transfer to folder structure without going through import process again?

2. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I checked if there is any explicit issue with importing tags and so far all seems nominal. I checked updating existing tags and also starting completely empty. Both without issues. Could you check if the tags have been created at all? Click on any "Add Tag..." button in the tool and then on the small cog to see a list of all available tags.

upload_2022-11-2_13-45-22.png

3. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

yeah creating tags manually does work.. though weird bug where it doesn't show that tip about 'Press RETURN to create a new tag' ... didn't know how to add a tag until I tried that, seems like bug anyway because sometimes it does show that tip when entering text and othertimes not.

Anyway "if I start with processing packages now.. will for 1.7 it update and transfer to folder structure without going through import process again?"

I'll start importing if that is a yes otherwise I'll just wait for the next update.

Attached Files:

4. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Yes it will transfer it upon start of the tool, I wrote an upgrade step which you cannot skip.

Do you see your asset store tags in the Tags list? Would be great to know if they are not retrieved at all or if they are at least saved as tags but not assigned.

5. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

as side thing I notice it does check package details.. while its collecting package details.. maybe it could also collect the asset image previews.. so there could be a bottom panel in the package view.. that could show the cached/downloaded asset images... would be HUGE benefit.. as the untiy's package manager never thought about caching images or results.. so its always a loading delay for searching assets then delay to load images etc.. if asset inventory could cache those asset images it would make getting a quicker idea of what was in that asset how it looked what it does etc a bit quicker.. as for alot of packages what's in the package might just be particle fx/non texture related stuff... so those asset image previews are pretty important imo...and its one less reason to even bother with unity's slow useless package manager.

And could it also collect the invoice number for the asset?... unity's useless asset store.. only tells you 'You purchased this item on May 31, 2021' etc when going to the assets actual page after purchasing which you then got to go through there useless order history page (cus why would make anything easy or add a search) page to then try locate by order date to then go through multiple purchases on the day just to find which order id is the correct invoice number for that asset... which seems to be a common request for various asset developers wanting invoice numbers on discord channels and I get so sick of trying to find the invoice numbers for past purchases.... Well if you could solve that, would be great.. honestly I don't get why Unity doesn't have a better HUB that actually has proper package/asset manager everything they do so uuugh like there built in package manager ‍♂️

"Do you see your asset store tags in the Tags list?"
    yes if create a tag manually it will add it to the asset and will update the Tags column in package view... no idea why the current imported ones didn't get any official tags assigned though?... I will start importing again and let it finish, will see if it actually gets the existing asset tags..

6. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Which version of Unity are you using actually? Maybe some versions of Unity don't transport the tags, I could test that.

7. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I just checked if I can find the info in the API somehow but only the order Id and the order date is available, not the invoice number. Would the other two fields help you already? Downloading the images is quite high on the wishlist so that will come! I just saw Unity 2023.1 Alpha also pulls the images now and caches them but the versions before are rather sluggish.

8. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

...2023.1.0a15 ..which version do you recommend?

9. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

"order Id and the order date" both of those would help alot!
    I did leave it running last night.. seems to hang the editor after some point where nothing in the UI is accessible..but still doing downloading/package stuff

upload_2022-11-3_12-10-31.png

would nice if you could just select a batch of packages and choose to download and index. like a Package Index button in the details view? ... also if you do select alot of packages to download.. is no way to [ctrl] click on some of them to deselect individual ones...the highlight remains selected on them.

Package size column ...sortable columns would be nice aswel.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Texture has out of range width / height
    2. UnityEngine.ImageConversion:LoadImage (UnityEngine.Texture2D,byte[])
    3. AssetInventory.AssertImporter/<ProcessMediaAttributes>d__6:MoveNext () (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/AssetImporter.cs:141)
    4. System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder:Start<AssetInventory.AssertImporter/<ProcessMediaAttributes>d__6> (AssetInventory.AssertImporter/<ProcessMediaAttributes>d__6&)
    5. AssetInventory.AssertImporter:ProcessMediaAttributes (string,AssetInventory.AssetFile,AssetInventory.Asset)
    6. AssetInventory.UnityPackageImporter/<IndexPackage>d__4:MoveNext () (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/UnityPackageImporter.cs:214)
    7. UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext:ExecuteTasks ()
    "I just saw Unity 2023.1 Alpha also pulls the images now and caches them but the versions before are rather sluggish."

I am using that 2023 alpha and its still slow (in so many ways actually)..but they are still doing stuff like making you wait for it to download the list of packages you own everytime with extra buttons to click to load more packages or all... nothing in that is cached so you have to wait..... is no reason that couldn't be cached first.. same with searching .. its all based on connecting to there servers first.. and instead of local cache of that data and then either updating it in the background or giving the user the option to update it... its not like the assets someone owns changes much even depreciated ones.. so I still think the entire thing kinda blows really.. its also visually less appealing with less details than old asset store webpage in the tab... meaning you still have to open the actual site page for details... the whole point of them making a proper package manager was to do better job of it then the old way the asset store stuff worked, was a while before they even added the asset images into it ..... so I think your asset is going to end up doing a better job of being a package manager then what they've done/not done.

On the asset store package it has a tab to view the package directory structure.. and I do think it would be nice if your tool could store that info and provide a view for looking at a package that way.. like treeview/.thumbnail.. using the cached previews for visual assets... mayybe one for the bottom panel in the package view? not sure how you intend to design it.

also scripts..is a filter option for it but nothing shows and can't search them?

few more errors.. would be nice if showed the asset title instead of the number.. I seem to have a lot of these ones ..
    Code (CSharp):
    2. Error downloading asset 123773 at 0/0: Error:
    3. UnityEngine.Debug:LogError (object)
    4. AssetInventory.AssetDownloaderUtils:OnDownloadDone (string,string,int,int) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/AssetDownloader.cs:160)
    some other random ones..
    Code (CSharp):
    2. Error: Cannot create FMOD::Sound instance for clip "" (FMOD error: Unsupported file or audio format. )
    3. UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
    4. AssetInventory.AssetUtils/<LoadAudioFromFile>d__5:MoveNext () (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Utils/AssetUtils.cs:73)
    5. UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext:ExecuteTasks ()
    not sure I like what this one is implying... data corruption :S
    Code (CSharp):
    2. IOException: The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable : 'S:\Unity_AssetInventory\Extracted\Aria Soundscapes Complete 4GB Audio Library\7f3af493db630b1459588a8f0119239e'
    3. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1[TResult].FindNextEntry () (at <ce684c3e0df64d06ab6e471b9b78c4aa>:0)
    4. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1[TResult].DirectoryFinished () (at <ce684c3e0df64d06ab6e471b9b78c4aa>:0)
    5. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1[TResult].FindNextEntry () (at <ce684c3e0df64d06ab6e471b9b78c4aa>:0)
    6. System.IO.Enumeration.FileSystemEnumerator`1[TResult].MoveNext () (at <ce684c3e0df64d06ab6e471b9b78c4aa>:0)
    7. System.Collections.Generic.LargeArrayBuilder`1[T].AddRange (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] items) (at <ce684c3e0df64d06ab6e471b9b78c4aa>:0)
    8. System.Collections.Generic.EnumerableHelpers.ToArray[T] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source) (at <ce684c3e0df64d06ab6e471b9b78c4aa>:0)
    9. System.IO.MonoLinqHelper.ToArray[T] (System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] source) (at <ce684c3e0df64d06ab6e471b9b78c4aa>:0)
    10. System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, System.IO.EnumerationOptions enumerationOptions) (at <ce684c3e0df64d06ab6e471b9b78c4aa>:0)
    11. System.IO.Directory.GetFiles (System.String path, System.String searchPattern, System.IO.SearchOption searchOption) (at <ce684c3e0df64d06ab6e471b9b78c4aa>:0)
    12. AssetInventory.UnityPackageImporter.IndexPackage (AssetInventory.Asset asset, System.Int32 progressId) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/UnityPackageImporter.cs:173)
    13. AssetInventory.UnityPackageImporter.IndexDetails (System.Int32 assetId) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/UnityPackageImporter.cs:140)
    14. AssetInventory.AssetInventory.RefreshIndex (System.Int32 assetId, System.Boolean force) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/AssetInventory.cs:478)
    15. System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__7_0 (System.Object state) (at <ce684c3e0df64d06ab6e471b9b78c4aa>:0)
    16. UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext+WorkRequest.Invoke () (at <edb6605116084fe79ebff1632d97b8a8>:0)
    17. UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.Exec () (at <edb6605116084fe79ebff1632d97b8a8>:0)
    18. UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.ExecuteTasks () (at <edb6605116084fe79ebff1632d97b8a8>:0)
    anyway the addon is hanging on that one above in indexing... so obviously hit on some problem though I do think should be an option to not have it generate waveforms for audio files... the visual waveform isn't much use to me as audio is audio.. hopefully in the future you could support an option to extract/re-encode a lower quality clip of the scanned audio.. like 5sec sample for 30sec sound file..or 10sec for a 1min or more etc..user defined option?.. and have that cached for the asset as preview audio .. but currently not much use, I just didn't deselect the audio only packages.

I did force kill the editor a few times yesterday while it had locked up during indexing/downloading.. left it on overnight still ahdnt' finished ...windows screwed up and restarted the pc... I'm not sure how well this has handled any packages it was downloading that might not have been finished.. they downloaded as tmp files and are renamed to unitypackage once complete? Just wondering if I've got some packages that ought to redownloaded.

Anyway making me think I should reindex this on another unity version as I'm aware 2023 a15 broke Odin where the've made internal changes to things.. so maybe that is why its not getting the asset tags aswel... just no errors on it so I dunno.

10. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

Seems to have just stopped indexing and is hanging on this one.... be nice if it just moved on to another one and the package view had some column indication of which packages failed to index etc... I try to leave it running in the background this one might have been hanging for a while doing nothing.

Code (CSharp):
    1. FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "S:\Unity_AssetInventory\Extracted\Dark Fantasy Gigantic Environment\5b5ac456e157e0b44b54b8d309b78acf\pathname"
    2. System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.Boolean anonymous, System.IO.FileOptions options) (at <f4694e4600d74e03a4e35def8b97021c>:0)
    3. System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, System.IO.FileMode mode, System.IO.FileAccess access, System.IO.FileShare share, System.Int32 bufferSize, System.IO.FileOptions options) (at <f4694e4600d74e03a4e35def8b97021c>:0)
    4. (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.FileStream..ctor(string,System.IO.FileMode,System.IO.FileAccess,System.IO.FileShare,int,System.IO.FileOptions)
    5. System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, System.Boolean detectEncodingFromByteOrderMarks, System.Int32 bufferSize) (at <f4694e4600d74e03a4e35def8b97021c>:0)
    6. System.IO.StreamReader..ctor (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding) (at <f4694e4600d74e03a4e35def8b97021c>:0)
    7. (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.IO.StreamReader..ctor(string,System.Text.Encoding)
    8. System.IO.ReadLinesIterator.CreateIterator (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding, System.IO.StreamReader reader) (at <f4694e4600d74e03a4e35def8b97021c>:0)
    9. System.IO.ReadLinesIterator.CreateIterator (System.String path, System.Text.Encoding encoding) (at <f4694e4600d74e03a4e35def8b97021c>:0)
    10. System.IO.File.ReadLines (System.String path) (at <f4694e4600d74e03a4e35def8b97021c>:0)
    11. AssetInventory.UnityPackageImporter.IndexPackage (AssetInventory.Asset asset, System.Int32 progressId) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/UnityPackageImporter.cs:179)
    12. AssetInventory.UnityPackageImporter.IndexDetails (System.Int32 assetId) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Importers/UnityPackageImporter.cs:140)
    13. AssetInventory.AssetInventory.RefreshIndex (System.Int32 assetId, System.Boolean force) (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/AssetInventory.cs:478)
    14. System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore+<>c.<ThrowAsync>b__7_0 (System.Object state) (at <f4694e4600d74e03a4e35def8b97021c>:0)
    15. UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext+WorkRequest.Invoke () (at <18e8109bbc8d4d9bbd519504205f489b>:0)
    16. UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.Exec () (at <18e8109bbc8d4d9bbd519504205f489b>:0)
    17. UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext.ExecuteTasks () (at <18e8109bbc8d4d9bbd519504205f489b>:0)
    upload_2022-11-3_16-4-0.png

11. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

Also I had switched Unity version for this project to 2022.1...and started re-indexing..the tags still aren't getting added :(

12. bocs

bocs

I'm seeing assets showing an update is available, but they are updated and have done an update index.
    any suggestions?

upload_2022-11-10_20-54-18.png

13. gg_michael

gg_michael

Great asset, loving it so far! One very small note... as a Mac user, "Open in Explorer" threw me for a second. Should be "Open in Finder" for MacOS ;)

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  14. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

The new release 1.7 has just been published everyone

- Support drag and drop from search to project browser!
    - Ability to recreate previews! (individually, per package, per database)
    - Custom UI to visualize dependencies, showing total size & grouping by file types
    - Dependency view now shows which assets are already in the project
    - Materialize dependencies when recreating previews (enables prefab and material preview generation)
    - Automatically remove missing scripts from prefabs for improved dependency calculation
    - Search view option to show only with or without available previews
    - New search mode: individual words do not need to appear in that order anymore, except if search starts with ~.
    - Search can be told that words must not appear in the result by prefixing a word with "-"
    - Export Data wizard
    - Ability to turn off auto-search
    - Structure preview images into sub-folders
    - Show upgrade wizard if needed when updating tool
    - Allow reimporting individual assets even if they are already in project
    - Improve color detection by switching to hue
    - Faster color indexing, reduced DB size
    - Match colors by custom range (advanced setting directly in config json)
    - Don't extract package for sound preview if file is already inside project
    - New shortcut to select same package from search view in package view
    - Auto-mark missing preview images to be redone and reset internal state
    - Backup only selected packages
    - New bulk action: enable/disable backups
    - Make auto-hiding view settings configurable
    - Format configuration JSON for easier editing
    - Treat DLLs as script dependencies
    - Improve dependency recursion detection
    - New maintenance view: marked for backup
    - Make reporting asynchronous, show progress and allow cancellation
    - Scroll back to top when changing search result pages
    - Configurable hard-limit when selecting to see -All- search results to keep Unity responsive in case of giant result sets
    - Work-around Unity issue that deleted assets are still reported as existing in project (fixes reimport & missing dependencies on second import)
    - Limit current search quickly to selected package
    - Add tip to documentation to use empty project for initial indexing
    - Add advanced configuration section to documentation
    - Skip audio files per default during color indexing
    - Remove warning in 2023.1
    - When sorting by color only return indexed items
    - Hide more dangerous maintenance functions initially
    - Don't fail indexing when there are extraction errors
    - Abort texture loading in asset tree when entering play-mode
    - Ensure preview images are reloaded when existing play-mode and tool is docked
    - Don't accidentally mark packages as done when cancelling indexing
    - Catch cases when local package list is not available
    - Fix potentially wrong package getting selected when going from Package view to Search view
    - Fix edge case of preview images sometimes not being created
    - Fix edge case of cache directory not being able to be deleted
    - Fix case of search returning no results if it was on a sub page before
    - Fix long lists of dependencies not being able to visualize
    - Fix Asset Store packages manually stored in different folders being marked as outdated
    - Fix files with multiple . not being able to be previewed
    - Fix import with dependencies failing when asset file ends with a space
    - Fix Ping not selecting asset correctly if project view was not visible before

It's been only two weeks since the last big release and while I initially wanted to wait until December so much has accumulated that I didn't want to keep that from you. This is a good one! My favorites:

Drag and Drop is finally there! Select something in the search (needs to be selected first, that is the only limitation right now) and move it into the project view. AI will automatically extract the package if needed, determine the dependencies and select the correct import mode. Feels like magic :)

Preview images really needed some love and with 1.7 we go the first big step. It's now possible to recreate preview images easily and also create previews where they are missing with one click. AI will automatically handle prefabs and materials correctly and with the new improvements to dependency calculation this works better than ever before. In future updates you will be able to customize previews and create also higher resolutions.

Speeking of dependencies, there is now a dedicated dependency browser for prefabs giving much better insights into what is already imported and what you will get when importing it.

The search learned some great new tricks, most notably that it does not do a literal match anymore per default. This means when you type in "car horn" it will find "car_horn.wav" but also "hornOf-aCar.mp3" resulting in much better results. You can still get back to the original mode by prefixing your search with ~. And speaking of cool little details, you can use - to state something should not appear in the results, e.g. "car horn -police".

And there is tons of other stuff, like a data export wizard, selective backups, an improved color calculation algorithm and some really handy bugfixes.

As always remove the old version first, then install the new. There will be a (new) upgrade wizard which you need to launch once which will reorganize how preview images are stored and prepare for the new color calculations. This will need to be redone once so make sure to click that Update button under settings.

I hope you like the new release! Have fun and if you want to support me, please add a review and spread the word.

Slashbot64 likes this.
  15. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

ah unity package manager showing 1.7 the download is still the previous version it seems.. :/

did you find anything on that tag stuff not working?

16. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

You need to download it in Unity Package manager (usually the "update" button) and then install it (after removing the old version). Regarding the tags, I can still not reproduce the issue. They come through just right on my and other users systems which is really puzzling me. I will add a bit of debug logs so we can check that in the next version for you!

17. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

deleted package and asset folder and yeah 1.7 imported fine now... so the preview folders are numbered... couldn't those just be the package name for convenience? if I look at folder '20' or 'af-11425.png' ..nothing in the asset inv search shows what asset that is from..so I'd prefer human readable folder name for the previews to be stored in..

Also the option to reindex package on the next run.... could there be one to just reindex right now? (happy to test a version with the debuggin in for tagging.. reluctant to let it index everything with that problem still lingerering)

a few of these...
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Error: Cannot create FMOD::Sound instance for clip "" (FMOD error: Unsupported file or audio format. )
    2. UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
    3. AssetInventory.AssetUtils/<LoadAudioFromFile>d__7:MoveNext () (at Assets/AssetInventory/Editor/Scripts/Utils/AssetUtils.cs:90)
    4. UnityEngine.UnitySynchronizationContext:ExecuteTasks ()

18. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Names are really not a good idea when it comes to Unity package management (we actually briefly touched this point above). Package names are 1) not unique and 2) change more often than one thinks. You can see the Id of a package when hovering your mouse over the "Source" label. That should make it quick to find. Reverse search is easy by typing "=Asset.Id=123" into the search (you can even save that as a saved search for quick lookup).

Reindex now is available but hidden as an expert function. Press CTRL and it will appear!

The FMOD error is thrown by Unity and nothing I can catch unfortunately but it also does not have any negative effect so simply ignore it (see the documentation for a list of typical Unity errors you can safely ignore).

19. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

oh yeah I forgot.. still could have the number <34>.<packagename> no?

Anyway it did finish indexing and yeah no tags.. I don't get it.

20. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

With Christmas quickly approaching I don't want to miss the chance to give you something new to play with during the vacation time: Update 1.8

I managed to squeeze in a ton of your community request and some quality of life bug fixes so there should be something for everyone.

- Allow to create a new package for each media folder where indexed files are attached to instead of all being under -no attached package-
    - Media Folders have a setting now to remove orphaned files from the index that don't exist anymore in the directory!
    - Support materializing imported files from UnityPackages and archives into their original folder structure!
    - Settings for import destination and structure
    - Allow to keep original structure of individual assets during import
    - Support custom fixed target import folder
    - Special rule to materialize files without dependencies during drag and drop directly into target folder
    - Allow marking new packages for backup automatically
    - Consider ASSETSTORE_CACHE_PATH for default asset path if set
    - Improved and extended hard disk space usage overview
    - Show available updates for registry packages
    - Expose Hue field for export
    - Allow marking packages to be always extracted for faster access
    - Delete old cache entry for always extracted packages when encountering new version to index
    - Remove redundant preview information from database (size reduction + performance improvement of ~10%)
    - Maintenance function to remove orphaned preview images
    - Change "Open in Explorer" to "Open in Finder" on Mac
    - Backup excluded assets as well
    - Remove another unneeded preview field from the database
    - Consolidate more settings into the Settings panel
    - Continue indexing even if default asset cache could not be found
    - Support special case of Unity packages that are not zipped
    - Improve color importer to mark missing preview images correctly
    - Dramatically reduce set of files to go through in Color indexer if audio indexing is disabled
    - Handle packages correctly where seat has been revoked after initial indexing by switching them to custom packages until they reappear in the purchases
    - Fix package previews not showing in all cases
    - Fix metadata sometimes not getting updated during online refresh if package indexing is running in parallel
    - Fix warnings throw by compiler
    - Fix temporary extraction for archives not getting removed again after indexing
    - Fix folder size calculation error if Extracted folder does not exist

Unity has just started the New Years Sale with many great assets for 50% off. AI is also part of it so that could be the perfect chance to recommend it to a friend and/or stock up on additional seats should you need them.

I wish you all a wonderful vacation time and a great start into the new year. I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the great interactions we had here and the ideas and friendlyness. You all rock! I'll still be working every now and then but it will be much more quiet here from my side until the 9th of January.

21. dev_project

dev_project

Hi, it's still not clear: do I need to download all my assets first? I've got zillions of assets purchased over the years and I keep getting this:

upload_2023-1-4_17-9-56.png

Is there a chance your asset will be able to fetch the assets remotely on its own or does it always have to go via Unity package manager? Thanks.

22. dev_project

dev_project

Also, is there a chance you tool will be generating thumbnails for prefabs that contain a mesh?
    Just like it's done within the Unity's project window:

upload_2023-1-4_17-23-3.png

23. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

yeah I still have problems with it not getting meta tags for some reason.

24. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

yes this should already be possible. You can recreate preview images for individual files or for the whole package at once. Press CTRL to make that option visible!

25. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

still working on adding more debug information. Will try to get that into the next version to find the root of the issue.

26. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Yes the assets need to be downloaded. You can use either the package manager or the download option in the tool. Both results in the same. In the Next version I’ll try to get the automatic download in which will temporarily download the asset, index it and then delete it again. This will be the most convenient I think.

27. dev_project

dev_project

Thanks, not having to download each would be helpful. Actually, I tried selecting multiple assets to download but it didn't seem to work so I had to manually download the ones I was after via the standard package manager.
    A couple of more suggestions:
    1. It would be great to be able to type the number here (e.g. I've got 5000 assets and would like to break down into 2000 or 2500)
    upload_2023-1-4_21-32-27.png

2. How can I choose a specific page without having to go through each one by hitting next?
    upload_2023-1-4_21-34-23.png

3. It would be helpful to have some text next to the dropdown (something like "Asset Type"). It took me some time to realise that I can filter out specific asset types because I haven't even noticed this option first:
    upload_2023-1-4_21-35-36.png

It seems that it would be more intuitive to have this dropdown in the filters section:
    upload_2023-1-4_21-36-57.png

28. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Good suggestions! I’ll add more page sizes in the next update. I don’t really want to make the UI more complex so I try to find the best compromise between full customizability and presets. Suggestions always welcome!

Jumping to a specific page will also come, will most likely be a drop-down when clicking on the page number.

29. Slashbot64

Slashbot64

anything?

30. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I have added extensive diagnostics to the upcoming version 1.9 which will hopefully give us more information about what could go wrong. Release should be sometime next week.

andreiagmu and Slashbot64 like this.
  31. dmenefee

dmenefee

Hi. I just updated Asset Inventory to the latest release and am seeing these compilation errors:

The call is ambiguous between the following methods or properties:
    'ColorUtils.ToHue(Color)' and 'ImageUtils.ToHue(Color)'

on lines 3282 and 3283 in Editor/Scripts/GUI/IndexUI.cs

I'm on Unity 2020.3.44f1 on Windows 11.

Edit: I'm pretty sure there's another active extension in an ImageUtils class that conflicts with yours. I'll try removing that if I can. Leaving this here in case anyone else sees it.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2023
  32. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Please remember to remove the old version first before updating but since you already did, delete the file ColorUtils.cs and that will fix it!

dmenefee likes this.
  33. dmenefee

dmenefee

Thanks! I'm really impressed with this asset, BTW.

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  34. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

The first update in the new year has landed, version 1.9, and it contains exciting features. Most notable is the ability to index all assets you have even if they were not downloaded yet by automatically downloading them temporarily, index and then deleting them again. It is turned off by default for now but most likely will be active from the next version. You can activate it in the settings. In addition I tried to squeeze in many community requests so hopefully there is something for everybody!

Remember to delete the old asset first before updating since one file was renamed.

- Auto-Download packages from Asset Store during indexing!
    - Ability to jump to specific page in search results
    - Ability to upscale preview images (simple resize for now)
    - Play available audio previews even during extraction
    - Show view settings button also when there are no search results
    - New maintenance view: Indexed packages
    - Support setting cache folder path
    - Ability to specify custom global config location through environment variable
    - Support removing single files from search results
    - Support target folder selection on import also in 2023.1+
    - Add bigger result sizes in drop-down
    - Stop audio preview when entering play-mode
    - Show scroll bars on packages detail pane if necessary
    - New asset category: Animations
    - Show registry updates only if installed in project and compatible to current Unity version
    - Show number of excluded packages in Package statistics
    - Document basic API usage
    - Extend tool diagnostics for support purposes
    - Improve download feature to work more consistently and reliably
    - Allow to jump to search and manage reindexing even if local package does not exist anymore in cache
    - Improve deletion of local package cache files
    - Recover from externally deleted package cache files
    - Fix length not being filterable for fractions of a second

Thanks a lot to all the beta testers and feedback from the community :)

dmenefee likes this.
  35. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I the new version 1.9 I am creating many additional diagnostics logs now. Please do the following to create these: Hit the update button once under settings and let the first phase run through. Then go to the ? section (upper right corner) and there hold the CTRL key pressed. A new option will appear to create diagnostics information. This will open a file browser and in there you will find two json files. If you can send these to me via DM or even better in the Discord for quick discussion I can get closer to the root of the issue!

dmenefee likes this.
  36. John_Leorid

John_Leorid

Feature Request 1: include files inside the current project to the search. The search is much better, faster (cooler dropdown to select "prefabs") and the preview images are bigger than in the project window. Clicking on the Asset will reveal it in the Project Explorer Window, which is all that is required, but if it can be dragged to the scene that would also be awesome.

Feature Request 2: Auto Tag based on Render Pipeline Compatibility so it's quick and easy to filter VFX for a specific RP.

Feature Request 3: an option to set a custom preview image. (just in case you need to differentiate two assets where no preview can be generated because they are ceiling tiles and you are looking at the back faces for example)

37. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Very good requests! Thanks
    • 1 you can already do by adding the Unity project as an additional folder with custom pattern *.*
    • 2 will come, is in the backlog
    • 3 good idea, added to backlog

John_Leorid likes this.
  38. TaranisElsu

TaranisElsu

Hey, thanks for making this. I've been getting good use out of it.

One feature request though: please provide an option to only search only in the filename and not the complete path. Example: searching only the filename would return files that contain "fps" like "fpscounter.prefab" and not files under "CoolFPSPackage/"

Thanks!

39. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Luckily there is already a way to do this but it involves using the expert search feature. It's easy and I'll explain the way below. I will add a new feature though in the search settings to make it selectable what field should be searched through when doing non-expert searches. That is a nice suggestion!

Expert search: To do a query like the one you have above, all you need to enter is the line below

Code (CSharp):
    1. =AssetFile.FileName like "%fps%"
    Once you start a search with = you enter expert search and can do extremely powerful searches. Once you have a query ready you can save it also as a "Saved Search" in the left hand panel and easily recall it later.

40. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Preview of a new upcoming feature that will allow to use the same database and index from different systems. It basically supports using relative paths that are configured per system. Super powerful and handy to access the database from everywhere. Can be activated and deactivated on demand.

pjbaron and Slashbot64 like this.
  41. pjbaron

pjbaron

Thanks for continuing to develop this asset!
    This might be (is probably) be an unreasonable request - but is there any chance you could build a stand-alone interface that searches the database without Unity? I'm using a variety of platforms these days, asset conversion is relatively easy too, so I would love to be able to search all my assets using your excellent system (without waiting for Unity to start-up).
    I'd guess it largely depends on how heavily you use Unity API vs straight C# library calls?

42. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Indeed I fear that is out of scope for a long time. I rely and also profit heavily from the Unity-internal asset import mechanisms and conversions and pull most of the metadata from there. I will not rule it out in the future but it is a long-shot.

pjbaron likes this.
  43. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

44. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Preview of upcoming release v1.10 entering beta now. Asset is 50% off right now so grab it during spring sale :)

upload_2023-5-26_16-27-44.png

Slashbot64 likes this.
  45. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

It took a while to finish but here it is, version 1.10. Lots of new features to dissect.

The big one this time is something which was requested by many professional users: using the same database from multiple devices which works by mapping your drives and folders on a shared network. It's a really nice and easy flow now, see the documentation for details.

The Reporting view finally got some love and now allows to select identified packages, perform bulk actions and more. The Package view can be sorted now, purchase date is a possible criteria. The search view has additional configuration options and actions. Previews are created in a more reliable fashion. And much more.

You find the full list of changes below including tons of quality of life enhancements. Enjoy!

• Cross-device reuse of the same database: Ability to store index in a relative fashion!
    • Show other device mappings, create mapping, select mapping to restore, delete mapping
    • Store current device info in DB for later use
    • Allow sorting packages in package view (if not grouped)
    • Persist purchase date and make sortable in packages view
    • Make packages clickable in Reporting view, show package details for identified packages
    • Multi-select in Reporting view for bulk operations
    • Show also number of identified packages in reporting tab
    • New search preference to specify field to search in (Full Path or File Name)
    • Support automatically adding tags to packages and archives in additional folders
    • Remember selected search type
    • Fetch asset details of new or outdated items first
    • Format numbers with regional settings
    • Support backup also for auto-downloaded packages that get automatically deleted again
    • New KeepAutoDownloads property which will not automatically delete downloads again after indexing
    • Play audio only if selected by user
    • New action to open archive location
    • Simplify dependency display a bit
    • Make it clearer in the UI that zip archives will be treated as a package
    • Allow activating/deactivating preview generation for archives
    • Make preview generation much more reliable at the cost of a bit slower creation
    • Give better hints if asset was not downloaded and details were not fetched yet
    • Updated documentation with many additional scenarios and details and updated screenshots
    • Show performance hint before initial indexing
    • Show interstitial after some imports
    • Add an easy way in the Info section to write a review for the asset
    • Handle failing to save config due to locking gracefully
    • Fix broken online import for edge cases when Unity API returns no categories
    • Detect and handle invalid paths in UnityPackages gracefully
    • Fix "Open in package manager" not working anymore from 2022.2+
    • Fix "Show in package view" not working when view was never open before
    • Fix "indexed" icon in package view not really visible in light theme
    • Fix settings page not fully updated on DB switch
    As always thanks a lot to all beta testers and the great community suggestions. Keep them coming!

46. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Due to a rather unpleasant performance issue I decided to release a version 1.10.1 hotfix. Using the chance to also sneak in some more quality of life improvements and bugfixes.
    • Make "Extracting..." label better readable
    • Speed up parsing of audio files where filenames contain special characters
    • Support unity packages containing audio on network shares
    • Fix grouped package view making editor unresponsive
    • Fix edge case where dependencies could not calculated if package contained identically named files in multiple directories
    • Fix another case of invalid paths causing UI to break

47. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

It has been requested often in the last weeks and next week I'll release the new version 1.11 with: EXPORT. A super convenient way to batch export your assets.

48. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

Version 1.11 just got released. It includes some nice quality of life adjustments but the biggest feature is the ASSET EXPORT allowing you to export packages to reuse parts of them in other contexts or engines, license permitting.

This is a bit of a hot topic with the Unity runtime fee changes and might be a nice opportunity for Asset Inventory to gain a bit more traction again.

I would be super grateful if you could maybe post this capability on social media like Reddit or Facebook groups or forums and help me spread the word.
    • Export assets!
    • New All-In-One export UI (meta data to CSV, assets to external folder, HTML catalog (coming soon))
    • Single or bulk package export, filterable by file type
    • Optional auto-download assets for export if not cached
    • Support looping audio preview
    • Support packages with duplicate names in search (names have [ID] appended now)
    • UI hint to remind users that CTRL will show additional options
    • Support exporting tags into CSV
    • Minor UI adjustments for 2023.1+
    • Fix downloads not being tracked correctly if custom asset cache location is set
    • Fix audio continuing to play when switching tabs
    Thanks a lot for all beta testers, feedback and suggestions. You rock!

49. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

In case you don't utilize Asset Inventory yet: it's now 50% off for CyberMonday!

50. VanaheimSoftware

VanaheimSoftware

I just started using this tool and I have an issue I'm unsure of where I go wrong

Using version 1.11.0 in an empty project in Unity 2022.3.14f1

I changed Database and cache location to a specific location on a SDD

Then I checked "Download Assets for indexing" on

Then I started indexing. It errored out on all assets that was not already downloaded and was not able to download.

So after it had completed indexing what it could, I turned off the download setting and had the Package Manager download them instead.

Now, when I try to Update Index, none of the newly downloaded packages are seen by the tool. If I look in packages tab and selected a package that I know is downloaded, it suggest to download it. Which doesn't work.

I closed the project and reloaded. Didn't work. Newly downloaded packages are still not indexed.

I clicked Clear Cache, but nothing seems to happen there.

So, I wanted to check here, before I delete the whole database folder and start from fresh. But worries me if I buy new assets and it will not be able to update the indexing.