Search Unity

[Released] ARCC : Physic-based character controller

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Epineurien, Jan 17, 2019.

1. Epineurien

Epineurien

Alternative Rigidbody Character Controller (ARCC) is a Unity component I created to try and bring semi-unusual character features from mainstream games into Unity. Things like running on roller-coaster-ish racetracks, walking around small planets, parcourt, etc - all while keeping normal interactions with the physic engine. I also try to keep the asset as "level-agnostic" as possible, so it can be just dropped into existing projects.

Store page : assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/physics/alternative-rigidbody-character-controller-arcc-135972
    Demo (V2.0) : mega.nz/#!MQUWHYxI!NEi5R1sKgXTZDa7PslSxB1hjr8I-qP3MclkyYM3cdFA
    Other video (gravity changes) : youtube.com/watch?v=ZMxe7D-0dZg
    Other video (old demo) : youtube.com/watch?v=Gj9YJ6LWeRI

Current list of features :
    • Moving & rotating platforms management
    • Stairs climbing
    • Sliding behavior on slopes
    • Wall running, wall jumping, wall climbing
    • Aerial jumps
    • Walking along curved surfaces (loops, curved racetracks, ...)
    • Crouching (and preventing un-crouching if there is obstacles above)
    • Tackling
    • Custom individual gravity direction
    • Ground's PhysicMaterial impact acceleration/speed
    • Detection of MeshRenderer material in contact
    • All those behaviors can be enabled/disabled/customized
    • Flagging specific Collider as enabling/disabling features
    Update 2.0 :
    Full re-write of pretty much everything. Compatibility with previous ARCC projects is going to be minimal, please make a clean re-install.
    This new version mostly make everything smoother, cleaner and more stable.

Major changes :
    - Wall climbing : new behavior, character can now climb wall for a short time.
    - Detection of MeshRenderer material : new public property, when possible ARCC will share what material is at the point of contact. Mostly intended so people can customize footsteps' sounds and particle effects.
    - ARCC_Environment_Override component : allow to flag a Collider as enforcing/preventing some of ARCC feature. Useful if you want the player to only be able to climb on rough-looking surface, or prevent them from wall-running on windows.

Minor changes :
    - Pretty much all behaviors have been tweaked / corrected.
    - New demo scene : Speedrun City, intended to be closer to a real game.
    - New demo character : slightly less worse animations, and now offer thrid-person, first-person and 2D-sideway view & controls.

Please use this thread to report any bug, request features, an share any question or remark.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
  2. Epineurien

Epineurien

Update 1.2.0 :

Out-of-schedule small update, as it turn out the prefab characters simply refused to move with the default Unity's Input Manager. Support of XBox controller thus got dropped from the demo.
    Other fixes include some potential script ordering conflict on the Walled and Sliding flags, and switching the management of moving platforms from FixedUpdate to LateUpdate to significantly reduce "lag".

New features :
    • Added a Wall Sticking functionality, making the character fall slower after jumping directly at a wall. This is intended to make wall jumps easier to time and/or give more possibilities for climbing.
    • Added a Terminal Velocity functionality, limiting how fast a character can fall under the influence of gravity.
    • Wall Running now has a maximum angle value, instead of only considering parallel velocity. Tweaking both value allow to make wall running easier while preventing it to happen when the character is just thrown at high speed against a wall.
    • Male prefab character is now using first person controls and camera. (Female one is still the same)
    • Prefab characters now correctly lower the camera while crouching.
    Flying/Swimming update will probably be pushed back a bit because of this one.

3. ciphertheman

ciphertheman

Hello, This is very cool stuff. Is there a way to switch to the first person mode in the demo?

4. Epineurien

Epineurien

Not in version 1.2.
    I will add that to the ToDo list.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  5. ciphertheman

ciphertheman

Great, looking forward to try it.

6. Epineurien

Epineurien

Updated to version 2.0.
    Way behind schedule, and without many new features - mostly because I rewrote pretty much the entire thing.
    It started with me wanting to fix the weird behavior ARCC had with small stairsteps, which forced me to rewrite entirely the way it detect and manage contact points ... and from there it escalated in having to adapt and re-factorize everything.

I'm trying to update the OP with more details, but somehow it trigger the spam filter.
    Edit : Managed to update, but linking the AssetStore page get it flagged as spam. And so does adding link to more videos or the new demo ...

(And for @ciphertheman : you can now switch between view modes with F1/F2/F3)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  7. bgrunewald

bgrunewald

When i stand in front of a box or wall to jump and climb over.
    Jump & Forward will slam the chracter up against the wall and them push it back away.
    Is there a way or am i supposed to use it differently ?

8. Eluem

Eluem

Does this asset include the source code, or is it all compiled?

I'd like to be able to heavily modify and extend it.

Thanks for the info in advance!

Edit:
    The more I look at this, the more I want to use it as a starting point.. or even help work on it with you. I love movement mechanics and I intend to make a game that features a wide variety of movement options for players. I was originally planning on building it with lots of very simple modularized behaviors... that way it's easy to pull it apart and work with it for other projects.

Last edited: May 20, 2021