Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEPRECATED] Anima2D - Advanced 2D Skeletal Animation Plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sergi_mandarina, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonMcintosh

jasonMcintosh

funianrun likes this.
  2. Ben-BearFish

Ben-BearFish

@sergi_mandarina Exactly.

3. Patrascu

Patrascu

Hi,

We are getting this error all the time:

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.String].get_Item (System.String key) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:150)
    Anima2D.SpriteMeshPostprocessor.Initialize () (at Assets/Extensions/Anima2D/Anima2D/Scripts/Editor/SpriteMeshPostprocessor.cs:69)
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallDelayFunctions () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/editor/EditorApplicationBindings.gen.cs:227)

We're using Unity 5.3.6. Thanks.

4. sergi_mandarina

sergi_mandarina

Importing the json files that Spine generates is possible. But that does not mean you can continue authoring the same way. Maybe the animations exported are baked into bones, maybe the IKs are not exported, etc. To be able to do that I should import the entire Spine project file, offer the same features to ensure compatibility, make sure it works for all Spine's project file versions.... This is, in my opinion, out of my scope.

Hi, please try this patch and let me know.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/t78s2k71ocxtfdf/Anima2D_hotfix_2.unitypackage?dl=0

5. Casanuda

Casanuda

Hi,
    This looks like a promising asset. A couple of questions before committing if you don't mind:

1) Does this tool result in animation sequences I can use in mechanim that I could use to eg. blend between running, walking, jumping, etc?
    2) Can I affect the IK in realtime to eg. pick up something?
    3) Can I use this in conjunction with eg. Dynamic Bone https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16743 that would add physics?
    4) Any indication of when your next version with deformations is coming?

Ta
    Cas

6. sergi_mandarina

sergi_mandarina

Hi Casanuda
    1) Yes, all animations are created using the Animation Window. You can use them in Mecanim and blend.
    2) The included IK library was designed to help authoring animations at editor time but it can be used at runtime. The component IK group is needed in this case in order to specify the update order at runtime.
    3) I haven't tried this one but I think it won't be a problem.
    4) Sorry, I can't provide a release date. I am working on it, that's all I can tell.

Cheers

7. Patrascu

Patrascu

Hi. Thanks for the fix. It worked perfectly.

I have a quick question. Is there any reason why 2 sprites sheets shouldn't use the same source sprite? I saw that there there is a Warning when this happens.

Cheers

8. funianrun

funianrun

Is there a way to simply reflect a sprite mesh ? Like the Sprite renderers "Flip" ability.
    Id like to be able to animate or change the direction of the entire characters facing.
    Thank you for any advice

9. sergi_mandarina

sergi_mandarina

The reason is the SpriteMesh overrides the geometry of the Sprite. If there are multiple ones operating the same Sprite, then this is not possible.

You should rotate the root transform of your character 180º on the Y axis.

Patrascu likes this.
  10. Kale

Kale

Question about baking animation... though this might be more of a generic unity question than an anima2d one... Is it better to bake the animation and leave every frame? or is it better to just have key frames, and have unity rotate accordingly?

11. civogames

civogames

Hello guys!

This asset looks so great!

I have one question before buying it:
    Is it that tough to manage programmatically sprite swaping?

I mean:
    Is there any automatic way to simply change at runtime an image of the animated character? for instance change a clothe

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

12. sergi_mandarina

sergi_mandarina

Hi, you can do that in several ways. You can change the spriteMesh at runtime if the new one shares the bone list ( you can set also a new bone list). You can also enable/disable the different parts of your character.

13. civogames

civogames

Thank you for the answer.

In fact, I have like 1000 different Tshirts sharing almost the same size and shape (but different colors, details...), can I do the job only once for one image or do I have to do it for every image (i.e. grab the image, create the meshes, link to the bones, set the weights etc.)?

The perfect solution would be doing the job once with a representative image and then at runtime just switch the png used behind. Is that doable?

I would like to know how big would be my work with your tool if I have one character that can have thousands of different faces, hairs, clothes etc. Can I save time if it is generic images sharing size/shape?

Sorry if I am not clear enough.
    Thank you for trying to answer. ;-)

14. HuldaGnodima

HuldaGnodima

Hiya!

I've said it before and I say it again, This asset is SO LOVELY! Just extremely professional, thank you very much for making it and putting so much effort into helping the community!! :)

Just one quick question, is there currently a quick and easy way to put boundaries on the rotations of the bones built into the asset? Like for example in this video:

Thank you very much for your reply in advance!
    Hugs

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
  15. iEpic

iEpic

Can you use this tool to squash and stretch sprites???

16. Kale

Kale

IIRC, yea, you can squasha and stretched, but it's not that well done right now. Since it is all dependent on the bone. Vertexes are going to be added in the next update from the looks of it, which will allow more fine tuning.

17. civogames

civogames

@sergi_mandarina Hello again.
    I am sorry to insist but could you please answer my last question?

It would be a great help if your asset could easily manage what I ask.
    Thank you very much in advance.

18. sergi_mandarina

sergi_mandarina

My approach in this case would not be creating 1000 assets. One possible approach could be:
    If you make sure the base SpriteMesh matches all your alternate images, you can try by disabling Atlases from your character's textures and make a component that sets your alternate texture to the "_MainTex" of the Renderer's MaterialPropertyBlock at OnWillRenderObject event.
    Still, I haven't tried this, but I think it could work.

Hi, thanks for your kind words :)
    This feature is not there at the moment. Maybe in the future.

Hi, do you mean doing squash and stretch combined with IK?

19. Ravirr

Ravirr

This tool is awesome, i just bought it and am playing around with it. :D

Just one question: Is it possible to add physics to the bones or sprites? I want to create some kind of ragdoll with it.

20. sergi_mandarina

sergi_mandarina

Yes, you can add physics and create ragdolls :)

21. jeffweber

jeffweber

I use physics with anima2d for the diving game I'm making. Works great. Just move the bone transforms with physics output.

mango_khan likes this.
  22. civogames

civogames

Ok thank's sergi_mandarina, I will try (not sure I understand everything just by reading ;-) )

23. sergi_mandarina

sergi_mandarina

wubbycat likes this.
  24. wubbycat

wubbycat

Hey sergi, this script works, but I have a followup question now: instead of overriding the main textures, how can I just attach the extra texture on top of the base texture? My scenario is kind of similar to civogames': I want to animate my character using Anima2D, but I also want to display accessories like bracers. So I basically need to render the original character body texture and then render layers in front and behind the original layer. What's the best way to do that with Anima2D?

HuldaGnodima likes this.
  25. sergi_mandarina

sergi_mandarina

Hi, You can do that by skinning new sprites to the skeleton and using the sorting layer and order in layer properties to sort it in front of or behind your base sprite.

26. Peritectoid

Peritectoid

Why is this asset deprecated?

27. jeffweber

jeffweber

Shame to see such a nice asset deprecated.

28. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Agreed. What the heck yo

29. Gamingbir

Gamingbir

What happened to the nice asset? I was going to buy it and use it in all my 2D games. Where to find this software and make it work in unity or other game engines???

30. Kale

Kale

I sent him an email to ask, so lets see if the author replies.

This is kind of sudden, especially with the features, he was talking about.

31. Rothana

Rothana

It's been a great asset for me, I really like it and I was waiting for FFD but now it deprecated. please tell me it's temporary.

32. XJorba-BIG

XJorba-BIG

https://blogs.unity3d.com/es/2016/12/02/unity-expands-2d-offerings-with-anima2d/

Gamingbir likes this.
  33. jeffweber

jeffweber

34. Kale

Kale

Yea, I just got the email back stating just that.

On the one hand, yea I'm happy for them, and maybe they'll have more support. But yea, it was a pretty expensive asset to buy.

35. nosajtevol

nosajtevol

Wow, even better!! Congratulations! Super psyched to hear this

36. young-xyz

young-xyz

Hi.
    I'm trying to masking Anima2D, something like unity uGui RectMask2D.
    I've found 'sprite mask' in asset store, but it not works with Anima2D sprite mesh.
    Any way to do it?

37. Rothana

Rothana

Hi.
    Correct me if I'm wrong I think you can't use any unity build in mask with sprite mesh or even normal unity sprite, you can only use mask with image, text.. or something in UI. but you can try Mask plug in asset on assetstore.

38. young-xyz

young-xyz

Thanks Rothana,
    I mean - "Is there a way to mask anima2d sprite mesh as if RectMask2D acts on uGui Image?"
    I searched asset store but it seems that there is sprite masking asset only.
    'Sprite Mask' asset is great, but it does not work on sprite mesh.

39. crucialfix

crucialfix

I updated to 5.5 and now when I try to set Bones to a Sprite, It only recognizes 1 of them. I'm able to add multiple to the Sprite Mesh Instance component, but when I Apply in the SpriteMesh Editor, it changes to only one. Which seems to be the Parent bone. Any help would be appreciated.

40. Rothana

Rothana

I don't think you can, you can use UI mask only if you created game object from UI menu. upload_2016-12-9_9-21-55.png

41. Rothana

Rothana

I don't think Anima2d works on unity 5.5, I got many error and sprite meshes were rendered when i update to 5.5, so i downgrade to 5.4.

42. young-xyz

young-xyz

I'm not asking about how to mask UI thing, but how to mask anima2d sprite mesh(skinned mesh)
    Is there any way to mask skinned mesh?

For example, show only red box area of attached image(anima2d t-rex sample).

Attached Files:

• trex.png
      trex.png
      File size:
      160.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  43. Rothana

Rothana

Sorry, I misunderstood. I though you want to mask sprite mesh with RectMask2D. Well maybe you can mask it.
    Try this https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/29764

I can't guarantee that it'll work.

44. young-xyz

young-xyz

Thanks Rothana!!
    I'll try it.

45. awesomedata

awesomedata

I wonder if the new version will have FFD or if they'll just 'ignore' vertex deformation animations... anyone know the plan?

46. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I see in my Purchased Assets that Anima2D is to be updated but it is also Depreciated. Why. Does that mean it can't be used with Unity newer versions?

47. wubbycat

wubbycat

Hey Sergi, is there a way to do what TextureOverride does, but instead of providing a single override texture, provide multiple texture overrides (of the same size) that all get merged down and rendered together?

48. awesomedata

awesomedata

I'll ask again -- any plans for FFD animation?

Unity Sprites and Bones' new fork is much better than this so far since it actually supports Free Form Deformation animation. It's free AND open-source. No idea why the Unity powers-that-be chose this (paid) asset instead?? It's lacking a pretty important feature for modular game-animation. Not being able to animate the individual verts of a sprite mesh is definitely a HUGE loss to keep that stiff cutout-style animation from being so grossly obvious.

The only additional issue that Unity needs to address is offering some native way to limit the FPS artificially with this type of animation (i.e. 24 fps). Not only would it look more like traditional hand-drawn animation with FFD animation, it would save CPU time too!!

49. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Anima2D is now back in the Asset Store but it is now by Unity. I was an early adopter and paid $60.00 bucks for this AND NOW IT IS FREE! https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/79840

I guess I am supposed to feel like a terrible human being because this pisses me off.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    funianrun likes this.
  50. civogames

civogames

@sergi_mandarina Thank's a lot for the TextureOverride script and most of all :
    thank's for your asset that I downloaded yesterday! It is very convenient. (Instead of using Blender + Unity for example.) Thank's a lot!

One suggestion :
    for the weight paint (in the sprite mesh editor) : it could be great to be able to select several points (the pies) at the same time and apply same values. Because one pie by one pie could be long for very precise deformations...

Anyway : thank you very much!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.