Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[DEPRECATED] Anima2D - Advanced 2D Skeletal Animation Plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sergi_mandarina, Nov 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Creature-Queen

The-Creature-Queen

This is a huge thread to sift through, wow! I'm sorry for adding to the load of questions, I've actually been using Anima for months and refuse to change. Buuuut I'm working on a fish breeding simulator. Which means exact png sprites with exact sizes- no difference except different coloration.

I can set up a rig and blend weights beautifully, good topology for 2D. :) But I can't paste it to the other colors. They are essentially a new rig that I can swap with skinmaster. How do I use the original topology and blend weights for the color variants?

2. The-Creature-Queen

The-Creature-Queen

Kind of a game stopper. No right to complain given Anima2D is free (Hooray!), but I can pay for support if it is an incentive. I love using Anima so much; I really don't want to have to find something else with dynamic bones.

Please see this beauty in action:

I want to put that rig on many variants, like this:

How the heck do I get the original mesh configuration/blend weights onto my other fishies? Edit: I just use script to scale the tiny bones -slightly- to simulate genetics of fin length, so it's the same rig.

3. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Hi, you can use the TextureOverride script if you are not using SpriteAtlas. Otherwise you need to duplicate your SpriteMesh and drag a new Sprite in the inspector.
    Hope it helps!

4. malyzeli

malyzeli

Hello,

I'm importing Anima2D package to new project and I would like to know what is contained in attached DLLs found in Lib/Editor/xxx, since I didn't find the information anywhere.

What are those files needed for? Tried to delete them in other project and everything seems to work without any difference, so I would prefer keep our repo clean of things we don't need.

Thanks!

5. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

This dll/bundle contains a function to calculate weights automatically.

6. malyzeli

malyzeli

Good to know! So we might actually need it...
    Thank you for response. :)

7. The-Creature-Queen

The-Creature-Queen

Thank you immensely! Simply duplicating was my first try but at the time I couldn't come up with a way to duplicate a file in the project inside of Unity. I checked it off in my mind as 'didn't work', but forgot you can right click files, view it in explorer, and duplicate there. After rebinding the bones, worked like a charm. I am so, so very grateful, your help is going to be meaningful to a large course of what comes with releasing this game and the after effects of doing so. Thank you for Anima.

malyzeli likes this.
  8. malyzeli

malyzeli

Today I got stuck on an issue I'm trying to solve and I don't know what else should I try, so I'm gonna ask here...

EDIT: Problem solved, see below.

We are using Anima in 2D scenes and everything works as expected, but now I wanted to use the same animations in 3D space (using sprites to render objects and units in 3D world, like for example Don't Starve), and my skeletons got deformed as soon as I try to rotate them by X axis (billboard script making objects face camera in proper angle).

Not sure what to do - tried to fiddle with various settings, tried to put whole animation into empty container game object and put a billboard script on it instead, but still getting the same results. Interesting is that only X axis rotation is problem, with Y and Z rotation it's okay.

Here is video how our scene looks like:

Here is screenshot how it is placed (looking parallel with X axis):

And now here is video what happens when I try to rotate Anima object to face the camera (first enabling the billboard script which sets X rotation to 60, then reverting it to 0 and rotating X manually, in the end also showing Y and Z rotation), on the left there is character sprite without animation for a reference:

Seems that this issue is caused by IK scripts, but don't know how to fix it. Might it be that bone positions are set in a world space instead of local space, so it gets messed up when rotated? Really no idea, just guessing...

If anybody knows what should I do to get my animations displayed correctly, I'll be really glad to hear the solution!

---

EDIT: So after another few hours of studying and experimenting I finally found the solution. The problem was caused by runtime IK calculations, because I forget to bake the animations.

If I bake them and then remove/disable IKs, the problem is gone and I can rotate objects around as needed. Hope this helps if anybody gets into similar situation.

On the other hand I believe that there might be situations where I don't want to bake my animations, for example if I want to simulate some physics based movement, move IKs from script and let them modify the skeleton at the runtime. In this case I would be screwed.

@Sergi_Valls can you please point me in the right direction, if I would decide to make this working even with runtime IKs? As I wrote above, I suspect is caused by IKs calculating in world space instead of local. Would it be enough to modify scripts to use localPosition instead? I guess there is more to it...

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  9. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Looks like LimbIK doesn't handle well 3D space rotations. I'll try to fix if I have the time.
    Anima2D's IKs were not ment to be a runtime IK solution. You can try the new IK package from https://forum.unity.com/threads/2d-animation-preview-packages.521778/ or use other packages like FinalIK.

malyzeli likes this.
  10. codegasm

codegasm

Will Anima2D be updated to support newer versions of Unity? I recently updated to 2018.1 and there were a bunch of deprecation warnings already. I fixed most of them, apart from the one related to `UnityEngine.Keyframe.tangentMode` which someone also mentioned in the reviews over on the Asset Store.

I'm also getting a lot of errors related to view frustum, but since I haven't found any other reports about this I guess there's something wrong with my camera setup. I pasted the error below in case someone happens to know the fix.

Code (CSharp):
    2. Screen position out of view frustum (screen pos -36.000000, 1079.000000) (Camera rect 0 892 1518 0)
    3. UnityEditor.HandleUtility:GUIPointToWorldRay(Vector2)
    4. Anima2D.EditorEventHandler:GetMouseWorldPosition() (at Assets/Anima2D/Scripts/Editor/EditorEventHandler.cs:55)
    5. Anima2D.EditorEventHandler:OnSceneGUI(SceneView) (at Assets/Anima2D/Scripts/Editor/EditorEventHandler.cs:112)
    6. UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

7_11 likes this.
  11. YD_JMysior

YD_JMysior

Hi, where should we report bugs for Anima2D?
    When editing a SpriteMesh in Unity (2017.4.2f2) we get the following error in the console:

Not allowed to override geometry on sprite 'banan_arm01'
    UnityEngine.Sprite:OverrideGeometry(Vector2[], UInt16[])
    Anima2D.SpriteMeshPostprocessor:DoSpriteOverride(SpriteMesh, Sprite) (at Assets/Anima2D/Scripts/Editor/SpriteMeshPostprocessor.cs:577)
    Anima2D.SpriteMeshPostprocessor:OnPostprocessSprites(Texture2D, Sprite[]) (at Assets/Anima2D/Scripts/Editor/SpriteMeshPostprocessor.cs:532)
    UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:StopAssetEditing()
    Anima2D.SpriteMeshCache:ApplyChanges() (at Assets/Anima2D/Scripts/Editor/SpriteMeshCache.cs:287)
    Anima2D.SpriteMeshEditorWindow:DoApply() (at Assets/Anima2D/Scripts/Editor/SpriteMeshEditorWindow.cs:1219)
    Anima2D.SpriteMeshEditorWindow:DoToolbarGUI() (at Assets/Anima2D/Scripts/Editor/SpriteMeshEditorWindow.cs:1275)
    Anima2D.TextureEditorWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/Anima2D/Scripts/Editor/TextureEditorWindow.cs:390)
    Anima2D.SpriteMeshEditorWindow:OnGUI() (at Assets/Anima2D/Scripts/Editor/SpriteMeshEditorWindow.cs:191)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

12. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Hi, please send the repro case to me. Thanks

13. SirNW

SirNW

Hello, first off thanks keeping Anima2D up to date, it is amazing!!!!
    I'm not sure if this is also the place to report issues with the spring bones, but it seems whenever we build our games for phones, the Spring Bone Major settings aren't being read. Luckily we just set all the individual Spring Bone components to override so that has been working pretty well. If you would like more info just let me know, this is my first time writing here.

14. YD_JMysior

YD_JMysior

Repro case sent. After a bit of digging around I've found out it has to do with sprite import settings - our Mesh Type was set to Full Rect. It would be nice if Anima could warn users it has to be set to Tight.

By the way: is there a roadmap for Anima2D? If so, where?
    Anima2D has not been updated on the Asset Store for half a year now... which is a little scary.

15. MattChowski

MattChowski

You can fix this by going to the script of SpringManager and change from
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public SpringBone[] springBones;
    to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public List<SpringBone> springBones;
    You'll have to change all "Length" methods that Unity will throw up as errors and change them to "Count" and voila!

Beware you have to import the namespace Unity.Collections.Generic into the script for this to work. I had the same issue, tried that and it worked!

16. Brockoala

Brockoala

Hi, thank you for this awesome plugin! I need to create animation for a spaceship, I have rigged the bones to sprites, but when I rotate a bone on the Wing, it deforms the spaceship's hull, I don't want a child bone to deform parent bone's mesh, how can I achieve this?

17. Demyanovskyy

Demyanovskyy

Hi,
    Please help with the problem of the failure of the IK CCD.
    Example of a skeleton in picture # 1
    Gun_Ik_CCD is bound to Gun_bone and is controlled by a script - mouse movement.
    L_A_Ik_CCD is tied to the bone L_A_3_bone. I made her a daughter to Gun_bone so that the left hand would follow the movement of the cannon.

Everything works fine until I need to do an animation without being bound to Gun_Ik_CcD, which is controlled by the mouse.
    In the animator, at the beginning of the animation, I disable the Gun_Ik_CCD, and at the end of the animation I turn it on again. after which the L_A_Ik_CCD ceases to follow Gon_bone.
    Tell me what can be my problem?

Sorry for my English

picture # 1 - skelet
    upload_2018-7-2_21-49-16.png
    picture # 2 - problem left arm
    upload_2018-7-2_21-45-4.png
    picture # 3 - animation
    upload_2018-7-2_21-51-45.png

Attached Files:

18. sorasora

sorasora

Some problem that i solve . May be it will be useful for someone
    Unity generate 10-digit numbers Unique ID for Sorting layers (2361994117 for example)
    When i change sorting layer of sprite mesh instance via animator - it write layer ID on animation, but animation don`t support 10 digit numbers and convert it into float ( -1.932973e+09 for example) as a result - Unknown layer at inspector and broken animation.
    I find a way for settle it like change Unique layer ID by myself into 2 or 8 digit Int at debug mode, and then changes of sorting layer via animator work fine.

Attached Files:

19. 7_11

7_11

I have the same problem. Dear Unity, please update Anima2D or a least don't ignore the question

20. cybergaston007

cybergaston007

I'm having an annoying issue with Anima2D + Unity SpritePacker + Bundles.

I have Anima2D setup and it works well using Sprites all contained in Atlas pack with Unity SpritePacker (Legacy).

I create my bundles for IOS, and everything works well.
    Then I switch platform and create Bundles for Android, and everything works well.

Now my issue comes :
    When I switch platform back to IOS. The bundle manager now thinks that I have change stuff and rebuild the bundle. But I haven't changed anything. Anim2D has changed a timestamp on the sprites and that's it. Because it seems that if Anima2D does't reapply Mesh between IOS and Android, then the Sprites are all screwed up.

So basically, when using Anima2D even thought I have one bundle that never changes, Unity will rebuilt all the time the Bundle. :(

I'm not sure what info/data Anima2D stores to get the correct Atlas, but that data should be stored separately depending on platforms. Like that when swapping platform that data won't get overwritten each time, and it won't rebuild the bundles each time.

21. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Anima2D will be updated if it stops working.

Timestamp on texture's userdata is only changed when you hit apply on the SpriteMeshEditor.
    Every time a sprite reimports, Anima2D will see if it can find a SpriteMesh associated with it. If that's the case, Anima2D will override the geometry of that sprite. This is what makes atlas to work.

22. cybergaston007

cybergaston007

What I'm saying is even I do not modify the Atlas pack by Sprite Packer in Unity. When I switch between IOS and Android, then Anima2D is broken unless I put apply on the SpriteMeshEditor...(and that modifies the Timestamp).

23. Chaintrier

Chaintrier

Hello,

I have issues with anima 2D and i was wondering if some of you could help me.
    Here is my problem :

I have to handle mutiple differents skins on one unique animated skeleton and therefore i have to find a workflow to manage all of these and i was wondering how to proceed.

More concretely, it's about handeling different skin on a football player ingame, so we have about 3 skin colour, different haircuts ans also a loooooot of jersey. So i'm looking for a way to settle it easily or at least use it easily.

I first tried to generate, bind and manage all the sprites mesh by using the sprite mesh animaton script component but this is slow and not easy to swap sprite by sprite to achieve a complete skin ( i have 14 part to my player, and more that 3 to 100 skin for each part ).

Thanks you for your time,
    i'm sorry for my bad english this is not my mothertongue so do not hesitate to ask me precisions.

24. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Please, send me a private message with a simple project reproducing the issue. Thanks.

25. TargetDetected

TargetDetected

It seems that Sorting Group isnt working properly in Unity 2018.2.3+. Different parts of two characters got mixed after they overlaps, while having sorting groups with same order in layer.

26. ThirtysixLab

ThirtysixLab

Hi, Dear Unity/Anima2D Guru's!
    I made an animation with Ik limbs. After that, for a long time, I polished the scripts with tons of errors, and after... animation was fine, but connections between the bones and limbs was lost! How can it be? I was able to restore it only when I deleted LIMB component - add ICC component - delete ICC component - add LIMB component to old animated limb object. Other methods does not work. What do you think about it and may be you can add a reset button to Anima components? Or something else... Thank you.

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

hello guys,
    I actually learn anima2D. I know how to animate one character from different sprites thanks to bones. is it better from a performance point of view to do it from an atlas (one texture for all the body parts)? if it is the case, please can you explain the process or send me a link to a tutorial. I learnt the basics with this one:

thanks for your answer,
    Paul
    http://www.paul-lamydelachapelle.com

28. newsnet

newsnet

Hi, I have the same issue with bind mesh and bones. Do you have solution?

29. ThirtysixLab

ThirtysixLab

Hello again.
    I also found that the bones does not return to default position and rotation if it's was not keyframed. The bones still shows position from the previously played animation. In native Unity animations, this is working. Now, I have to assign unused default keyframes at start of all animations.
    Thanks.

30. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

Hi. Sorry if this has been asked already, couldn't find in a search.
    Could I have done this better?:
    I ended up creating bones for the eyes and pupils and also for the hair and mouth. I couldn't figure out how to make them children of the head and set an offset.
    If this is possible it would be great also to be able to animate that offset to move the eyes etc.
    As I can't, for example slide the head down either as animating bone length doesn't seem to be an option. Any advice would be great as at the moment my rig looks like Johnny 5

I found that If I disable those bones, the spritemeshes will be pinned to the model correctly. So currently this means the bones have to be disabled when the character is bending. I still cannot find a way to animate the positions of the eyes without ik and keep them following the bones. (Other than swapping the meshes out)

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  31. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

If support for anima2d is ending as well, how long before 2dik can do multiple meshes?

32. haywirephoenix

haywirephoenix

Where have all the unity Devs gone?

33. Peppered_Pig

Peppered_Pig

Hi I recently updated Anima2D from 1.1.4 to 1.1.5 in a Unity 2017.4.9f1 project I'm working on and I found that onion skinning no longer works upon activating onion skinning and playing an animation I've created. I've attached a picture for details. Thank you for your time. anima2DOnionSkinError.JPG

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  34. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Can you send me a small project which reproduces the problem?
    Thanks

35. Peppered_Pig

Peppered_Pig

I tried two things for my main project while making a small project to demonstrate the problem. 1. Reimport Anima2D and 2. Rebind all my sprite meshes to bones. Neither fixed the problem.

I encountered a new/different problem while making the small project. Every time I have onion skin activated it keeps making a copy of my prefab in the hierarchy after playback of my animations and creates errors in the console log.

Thank you for your time.

Attached Files:

36. Peppered_Pig

Peppered_Pig

I have another question.

Is it possible to scale a parent bone without it scaling its children at the same time?

37. Peppered_Pig

Peppered_Pig

Is it possible to have multiple separate animations in one animation clip using IKs? I'm having an issue where I want two separate animations to play without having IKs blend into eachother on play back.

38. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Hi,

New beta changelog:
    - Removed warnings.
    - Removed deprecated code (used to upgrade from Anima2D 1.0.0)
    - Fix 2018.3 compatibility issues with nested prefabs.
    - Fix onion skin nullrefs.

Download:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/pij1d2gmoiqm4rf/Anima2D_1.1.6b1.unitypackage?dl=0

That's interesting. Please send a bug using the "Help -> Report a bug..." option.

Right now this is not possible as it is the way Transform works in Unity.

I don't fully understand your question. Did you explore Animation Layer Mask feature?

codegasm likes this.
  39. diegonicita

diegonicita

Hi, i have a question ? How is the best way to update anima2d from 1.1.4 to 1.1.5. I have a project and i need to do this. Thanks.

40. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Just import the package normally :)

41. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Is there a way to export anima2d animations into .FBX?

thanks!

42. krisss666

krisss666

Im sorry if there is a response in this thread, but i don't found it !
    i have classic monster with body, arm, hand etc.. and i'd like to move some parts by script.
    i have a Hip then i have a foreArm directly attached to an Arm directly attached to a Hand

for example move hand position from (0,0) to (0,10) and rotation by 10°: of course i want the arm and forearm follow the movement !

I found a script earlier but i can't make it works:

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2. UnityChan.SpringManager.LateUpdate () (at Assets/Anima2D/Examples/Scripts/SpringManager.cs:54)
    I don't know if i need to put the script on the mesh or bone or whatewer.

thanks by advance

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. public class myAction : MonoBehaviour {
    4.              public Transform bone;
    5.          // Use this for initialization
    6.          void Start () {
    7.              bone = GetComponent<Transform>().Find("Hip/ForeArm/Arm/Hand");
    8.          }
    10.          // Update is called once per frame
    11.          void Update () {
    12.              if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.A)){
    13.                  GetComponent<Animation>().Play("animation1");
    14.              }
    15.          }
    16.          void LateUpdate(){
    17.                  if (Input.GetKeyDown (KeyCode.B)) {
    18.                              if(bone != null) {
    19.                                      bone.eulerAngles = new Vector3 (0, 0, 90);
    20.                              }
    21.                              else {
    22.                                   Debug.Log("bone is null!");
    23.                              }
    25.              }
    26.          }
    27. }

43. verity147

verity147

Hey, I was on a wild goose chase for the spring bone script right now only to find I was missing it because I hadn't imported the examples into my project in an attempt to avoid clutter. Now I imported the scripts folder from within examples and hope everything I need is now there, but why is it sorted like this in the first place? Maybe reconsider the organization so examples are actually just that.
    Otherwise anima is doing wonders for my project, so this is just otherwise-happy customer feedback :)

44. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Anima2D can export to a prefab which have no dependencies on Anima2D files, only meshes, transforms and SkinnedMeshRenderers. From there, you can try FBX Exporter https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/essentials/fbx-exporter-101408 and try to convert to FBX. I have not tried myself but, if you try, please share your experience here :)

SpringBones scripts are part of the examples and never were promoted as a feature. I got those scripts from another package made by Unity and adapted to Anima2D just to show some procedural animation. Turned out that tons of people wanted use it. I can't promise anything but if I have the time I might polish the scripts a bit and add better inspectors.

45. Ryukidmm

Ryukidmm

Is there a way to use Anima 2DPrefab that implements SkinnedMeshCombiner with AssetBundle using SpritePacker with subdivided Sprite image (SpriteMode: Single) as it is? SkinnedMeshCombiner is in trouble because it does not work well.

46. Bongmo

Bongmo

I know, that I can load a pose in the inspector with PoseManager.

Can I do something like this?
    I have an empty game object with this script e.g. LoadPose.cs

Code (CSharp):
    1. // Adding the Poses files in the inspector per drag and drop
    2. public List<Pose> m_Poses = new List<Pose>();
    4. void Start() {
    5.      LoadPose( idx[0] );
    6. }
    Is this possible? Load a pose in runtime.

47. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

Ok I'll give it a go and let you know! Thank you :)

48. PaulAfello

PaulAfello

I've been using Anima2D with great pleasure for a year now but this week, somehow, an issue arose that is driving me mad. When I add a control to a bone it works just fine, but neither the limb ik or the CCD ik seem to work anymore. The characters that already had ik set up are still working as expected but any new ik I add simply just doesn't do what it is supposed to do. I have no errors in my console and I reimported Anima2D three times already. Even in a new, clean project I am just not able to get the ik handles to work. I am currently in Unity version 2018.2.17 but it worked before in 2.17 so I am just... so confused right now... help? :confused:

UPDATE: After many frustratingly try outs, from switching to older versions of Unity to trying out the 2018.3 beta I finally managed to get it to work again by copying an older version of Anima2D from a different project. So my final conclusion is, whatever you do, do NOT update your Anima2D as of now. If you have updated and run into the same problem as me but you have no older version available to copy paste, hit me with a PM and I will send you a Dropbox link.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  49. AlexBrull

AlexBrull

Hi,
    I made a little test with anima2d before beginning to use it in a real project but i came across some problems.
    I have weird "glitches" in my animation when a press play but it works fine when i preview it by scrubbing (moving my mouse on the timeline in the animation window).
    I tried to bake my animation to resolve the issue but when the loading (of the baking) is finished... nothing has changed, there are no new keys added to the animation.

Any idea why it's happening ?

50. Sergi_Valls

Sergi_Valls

Unity Technologies

Hi, can you send me the project? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.