Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] All in One Game Kit - ELC Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by GrantMarrs, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Mad_Fox

Mad_Fox

Thanks! I don't have the knowledge to make that type of system, but i think it shouldn't be so much different to the hanging mechanic that you have made, also you can reuse all that rayscasts and "sensors".

Looking forward to that!

2. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Thank you! I'm glad you're excited for it!
    By the way, even though it seems the same, I would actually have to make new raycasts and linecasts for this (since the raycasts would need to come and go from different places). It is the same kind of idea though, lol :) Thanks again!

3. emiller100

emiller100

Does this kit include climbing ladders and climbing walls?

4. tomraegan

tomraegan

Hi!

What setting can be modified so that the character automatically climbs over half-sized cubes?

Regular cubes are scaled as the ninja runs into them, but he gets stumped by a half-sized cube. If it's a set of stairs, he simply runs up them and doesn't need to climb at all, but they are quarter-sized cubes in height. It's the half-size that I need help with.

Thanks!

5. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

It does not, but I will definitely consider it for a future update :) Thanks!

If you go to the "Climbing Detectors" category in the ledge climbing script, then decrease the "Non Ledge Surface Detectors Height" (as well as the "Ledge Detector Height," depending on how low you want a climbable ledge to be), then you should be able to climb over ledges as low as you want :)
    You can see a linecast of this detector (in play mode) by enabling the "Show Non Ledge Surface Detection Rays" option in the "Climbing Detectors" category.

By the way, a quicker way to test if a ledge is climbable or not while you are modifying this value (so that you don't actually have to climb the ledge then jump off every time you want to test it) is by opening the "Current States of Variables" category, then checking if "Climb Up Possible" is true (while you are standing in front of the ledge). I hope this helps! :)

6. tomraegan

tomraegan

That did it. I had to go into negatives, but it worked.

Your controller adds such dynamic...really terrific.

Thanks kindly.

7. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

No problem! I'm glad I could help :D and thank you very much!

8. Brian-Ryer

Brian-Ryer

Just like emiller100 I would love the ability to climb up, down, left and right with ability to also leap whilst climbing.
    maybe a tag based approach to identify which animations to trigger on our character controllers when we hit what we can and can't climb.
    I've whishlist your kit and watched this thread, great looking kit though.

9. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Thank you very much your interest! Good idea with the tags by the way. If I were to implement this, I would use a tag-based approach. :)
    That way, you can always use the same climbing system, but still be able to choose different options for different walls/ladders (by giving them different tags). For example, for a specific tag, you could choose whether or not to climb vertically and/or horizontally, what your climbing speed is, whether the player stays up-right or rotates to face the wall, and etc.

10. Cybless

Cybless

I have played around with the asset and i really love it. Really good job on making it!

But i'm pretty new to scripting, and i have tried to add mouse look to the character.
    And by that i mean than you can look around with the mouse.

Is there are way that i can put it in the code you have somewhere or do i have to make a new script that handles the mouselook?

11. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Thank you! My asset does not come with a mouse look camera script, so you will need to make/find one, but fortunately, once it is made, it can be implemented very easily! The rotation and movement in my asset is controlled entirely by the player controller and ledge climbing script, so all you need to do is remove the "CameraController.cs" script from the camera, and replace it with a mouse look script :)

If you need help finding one, or if you need a reference for making one, there are plenty of great scripts on the wiki! Here's a link to one that I like: MouseOrbitImproved
    I hope this helps! Thanks again :D

12. MrIconic

MrIconic

With this asset can I walk/run up stairs?

If so, does it require me to add invisible ramps and/or change the tags of those stairs?

13. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Yes, you can walk/run up stairs!

It does not require any invisible ramps or specific tags, but if you make a stair too tall, the player might get blocked by it. So to fix this (if you wanted to use tall stairs), you could either use an invisible ramp (depending on how steep it is, you might need to increase the player's "Slope Limit" on his Player Controller script), or decrease the "Non Ledge Surface Detectors Height" and "Ledge Detector Height" of the player's Ledge Climbing script so that he climbs over them like ledges.

Here's a .Gif I made of the player running up stairs (no invisible ramp or anything was used, I just stacked cubes on top of eachother) :)
    http://i.imgur.com/UeskD6s.gif

Hope this helps! Thank you :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  14. bhavi1

bhavi1

any plans for adding ropes climb and swing support?

15. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Unfortunately, there are so many ways of adding this that may or may not mess with other movement scripts (if people choose to use or add their own customizations) or other objects that collide with the player (while he is on the rope), that I do no plan on adding them. I'm very sorry :( Thank you very much for the suggestions though! :)

16. bhavi1

bhavi1

are you adding a switch to make it just side scrolling?

17. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

That's a great suggestion. I will definitely add this to the next update!
    To only move from side to side (on the z-axis) right now though, you need to go to the "Movement" category of "PlayerController.cs", then set the "Forward Speed" and "Back Speed" to 0. Then, at line 1045 of the "PlayerController.cs" script, add: moveDirection.x = 0;

(or, if you only want to move on the x-axis instead, set the "Side Speed" to 0, then, at line 1045 of the "PlayerController.cs" script, add: moveDirection.z = 0; ). :)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  18. bhavi1

bhavi1

is there any support email or something that i can reach out too to ask for specific questions?

19. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Yes! You can email me at: grantrum@gmail.com :)

20. tomraegan

tomraegan

Hi Grant.

When running off the edge of a standard cube I fall gracefully to the ground and the controller doesn't jolt/bump. It's smooth.

When I run off the edge of half-a-cube, the controller jolts to the ground in a sudden and disquieting manner.

Is there a setting that provides for a graceful fall from a lower height than a full cube?

Thanks.

21. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hmm, I can't seem to reproduce what you're talking about. When I run off of a half-cube the player still falls smoothly. Maybe try increasing or decreasing the "Max Grounded Height" or "Max Grounded Distance" in the "Grounded" category of the "PlayerController.cs" script.

If that doesn't work, maybe you could send me a picture of what the half-cube looks like and how it is positioned. That way, I might be able to reproduce it and see how to fix it :) Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  22. tomraegan

tomraegan

Yeah, no easy fix on this one. I can't tweak it to make him fall smoothly. He just pops downward.

I think it's more of a Unity thing than the Ledge Climber, from what I can tell. Something to do with rounded capsule colliders and such. I will make a post if ever I am able to fix it.

Thanks for the help.

23. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

No problem. I hope you can find the fix soon :) Good luck and thanks again.

24. tolosaoldfan

tolosaoldfan

Hello,
    I wonder if your ThirdPerson Controller (in fact your camera script linked to it) works with touch screen Windows PC.
    I have already several packages to implement an third person camera, but it doesn't work when the PC is in touch mode.
    If you don't have any touch PC, you can send me a link to download a small example made with your plugin, and I'll test it for you.
    Thanks

Laurent

25. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hello Lauranet! I am very sorry, but I do not have any sort of demo script for this asset (since only taking a section from the script would not work, since almost every section of the script depends on each other), and I do not have a touch-screen PC. So unfortunately, I am afraid I cannot help :( Sorry again, but good luck on your project!

26. katsuragi545

katsuragi545

Hey - this package seems really great and may help me with my game. Could you answer two things for me before I consider buying:

1) Are you using root motion to control movement? If not, are you controlling movement using Physics like AddForce (for the rigidbody example).

2) Is it possible to prevent the character from sliding down slopes - in the demo the player slides down automatically on a not-so-steep sloped surface - can you change some value so they don't slide at all (not even a little bit)? Thanks.

27. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Hello! Thank you for your interest in my asset :)

1) The animations in my asset are root motion compatible, but my asset does not actually use root motion or physics. Instead, it uses "CharacterController.Move" for Character Controllers, and "Rigidbody.MovePosition" for rigidbodies. This method makes the player's movement more controllable and much easier to manipulate than a physics-based approach would (since characters that used a physic-based approach tend to slide around and move on their own, which makes it hard to completely stop their movement and sharply transition them to a wall for a wall jump for example, while characters that use this approach are told when and when not to slide), and moves just as smoothly.

2) Yes! I have various options regarding slope movement. The main one you are looking for is called the "Slope Limit." The Slope Limit determines the highest angle the player can stand on without sliding down. By default (and in the demo), it is set to 25, but if you change it to 90, the player will not slide down at all, and will treat slopes like normal ground :)

I hope this helps! Thanks again :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  28. Squeyed

Squeyed

Very impressed with the demo, I'm considering a purchase, will you be adding swimming in the future?

29. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Very likely! I have been adding ladder and wall climbing, as well as crouching, into the asset, which were all requested features (although I have not uploaded the update for them yet, since I am still touching things up and I need to make the documentation for them). So I will probably add swimming sometime as well :) and thank you so much for your interest! :D

30. Squeyed

Squeyed

I like the cut of your jib Grantrum, I'm now a proud license owner of your asset. Keep up the awesome work!

31. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Thank you so much, and will do! :D

32. GamdineProductions

GamdineProductions

Hey there, this sounds very interesting, just have couple of questions:
    1- Can I implement this to a 2.5D SideScroller game?
    2- Can I replace the animations you are using with mine?
    Thanks!

33. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

1 - Yes :) The ledge climb script works perfectly in 3D and 2.5D! To make it stay on one axis, all you would need to do is set the "Move Speed" to 0. The player controller script works as well, but to make it stay on one axis, you would need to set the "Forward Speed" and "Back Speed" to 0, then add "moveDirection.x = 0" at line 1045 in the "PlayerController.cs" script.
    (or if you wanted to move on the x-axis, add: "moveDirection.z = 0" instead).

2 - Yes! Every animation can be replaced or even removed from the animator without any problems :D

Thank you so much!

34. ThreeYams

ThreeYams

Very nice. I may be purchasing this in the future.

35. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Thank you very much! I've been adding lots of features to it as well, so once I've finished and uploaded those, it should be really exciting! ;)

36. Aceego

Aceego

Hi and thank you so much for you Kit it saves me so much Time :) Just one question is there an mobile control version. I can not find one.
    Thanks

37. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

It works on mobile devices, but it does not have any mobile on-screen joysticks or buttons built-in, so you would have to add those into your project yourself :) Thank you!

38. Aceego

Aceego

hi and thanks for your work :) is there any future updates that include moving and rotating platforms?

39. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Yes actually! I've already got them perfectly implemented :) I just have a couple of things left to work on for the updates (and I need to write the documentation for them), but hopefully they should all be finished and uploaded this month ;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  40. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Great news everyone!
    The updates are finally live!

New features that have been added:
    - Ladder and wall climbing
    - Crouching
    - Moving platform support
    - Side-scrolling
    - Mouse orbit camera mode
    - First person camera mode (first person view with or without mouse orbiting)
    - Attacks
    - Health
    - Enemies and enemy AI
    - Items
    - Camera targeting and locking on

41. Aceego

Aceego

Thanks for the update it shows a huge progress, did you plan to advance the moving platform part? It works perfect vertically but failed on Horizont moving platforms.

42. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

? It should work for horizontal moving platforms. There is a horizontal moving platform in the side-scrolling demo, and a rotating horizontal platform in the first example stage (and both of them work). Make sure that the tag of your moving platforms is set in the "Moving Platforms" section of the player controller :) Thank you.

43. Aceego

Aceego

AH now i see, great! thx my fault ;)

44. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

No problem! I'm glad I could help :)

45. zenGarden

zenGarden

Change the name of the plugin with simple keyword like "Platformer All in one" for example, i searched with many keywords and could not find your plugin because it starts with "TP,FP".

Does camera handles collision ? Can camera switch to FPS when there is collisions all around in TPS mode ?

46. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Thank you for the suggestion. I will definitely rethink the name then ;)

Yes, it does all of that :)

47. zenGarden

zenGarden

If we don't drag and drop the player on the ennemy slot, ennemy code could find the player in start()
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GameObject playObj =  GameObject.Find("Player");
    Good. But in TPS mode there camera can go inside the character

Some option to define character TPS eyes position could solve the issue when the camera collides with something. Could you add that to the kit ?

I have one other suggestion , this is about wall edge climbing and sliding with hands, when the character reach a corner he has one hand grabbing the wall edge and one hand in empty space.

Could you add some option to have "perfect hand wall grabbing" ?
    The character would stop sliding forward before having one hand grabbing empty space ?

Or adding an option to have the character automatically turn around if we press forward key and if there is enought space on the other corner edge ? To avoid hands grabbing empy space.

Thank you.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  48. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

Thank you for the suggestions. However, I'm not focusing on adding any more updates right now. After 11 months of constant work on this asset, the only thing I'm focusing on right now is taking a break XD Thank you again though :)

49. zenGarden

zenGarden

The player Class is almost 5000 lines because it contains the three view systems, it could have been split in several classes like edge Climbing, Jump class, 2.5D Class and moe to make it more readable.

If i make such changes, i'll send you the code if you wish to include them in the kit that is very complete and a great kit.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  50. GrantMarrs

GrantMarrs

That definitely could have worked as well. However, due to the large amount of "if" and "else" statements used for each view (which are compacted by putting them all in the same nested "if" statements), in order for me to put each view in a different class, I would have to re-include every nested "if" statement, and rewrite every "else" statement as an "if" for all three classes, nearly tripling the size of the script (which could lead to further problems due to the bigger file size and extra statements). I also wanted to make sure that most of the features were in the same script, so that it would be simple for people to use (since you can disable the features as well). A lot of the features in the script are split up into several different named functions in the code and the code is commented, so that helps the organization some. The ledge climbing is actually in its own script by the way ;)

Thank you very much :) and thank you so much for understanding! Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
    zenGarden likes this.