Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Aircraft Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Gargore, Jul 16, 2013.

?

Which features are your favorites to be included in Aircraft Toolkit next releases?

1. Sound barrier and supersonic effects.

19 vote(s)
    22.6%
  2. Ground effects including hovercrafts, helicopters and airplanes.

28 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Touch control compatibility.

20 vote(s)
    23.8%
  4. Drag&drop aircraft pre-made and pre-configured parts.

23 vote(s)
    27.4%
  5. Avionics controller: autopilot, stabilizer and NPCs.

39 vote(s)
    46.4%
  6. Missiles, Rockets and Guns.

38 vote(s)
    45.2%
  7. Birds, dragons and other flying creatures.

24 vote(s)
    28.6%
  8. Buoyancy: balloons and blimps.

21 vote(s)
    25.0%
  9. More examples of airplane physic models.

21 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. More examples of helicopter physic models.

15 vote(s)
    17.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gargore

Gargore

Hi Gibbonuk,

About your mail: we didn't find your previous email or web form question -_-. Can you tell us the date when you send your original message? We want to review deeper what could it happen. Did you email us to uas@gargore.com.

About your questions:

- we have in the to-do list to develop a paragliding example, but we didn't make it yet, so we cannot tell yet properly. We can make a very very basic example for your testing purposes only. For the moment we suspect that additional code for simulate the non-rigidbody nature of the ropes and some additional code will be required to an complete example, but we do not know yet. Also, probably will be better to add more than one element for make a curved wing.

- the lift is performed by the fluid simulation. Maybe you mean to simulate a ascendant current: you may only add upwards component to the wind speed vector. You can also simulate complex wind fields and patterns implementing a class that implements an interface included in the project and registering your class as the wind manager. About more advanced wind issues, we have also in the to-do list to make an glider example.

- about the crash detection, it is done by high acceleration changes, so I guess that is perfect compatible with your case. If you land with a airplane on a rocky terrain a collision will trigger a crash if, for example, a gear crashes with a rock. It is in the to-do list to make things like that triggers a gear break apart. When that is done, if you land a 737 not too gently, the gear will be damaged or even break apart.

- about when could be available a complete paraglider implementation, we do not know yet: we are still improving the avionics-autopilot controllers yet (we already included guns and rockets, and after that avionics-autopilot is the more requested feature, a lock for missiles and for complex AI, and also will enable to include more casual controls). Probably you are interested too in some of those enhancements. Aren't?

If you can, please contact us directly by emailing us to uas@gargore.com so we can talk about the basic paraglider example. Thanks!!!

Kind Regards,
    Gargore.

2. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi thanks for your reply. I emailed in on the 3rd of December. I will email you again but I'll try a different address.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  3. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi, not sure whats going on but ive emailed you from a differnt email (gmail) first email was from AOL, ive also sent you a private mesage on here but not getting any response? I really want to buy if I know this will suit my requirements.

Thanks

4. Gargore

Gargore

Received.

5. Gargore

Gargore

We are happy to announce that 0.80 version is now available on the asset store!

It includes: a lot of minor improvements, most sugested by users, including improvements on the jet fighter model as a previous step for including more fighters soon; we also removed references to older deprecated scripts.

It is already available at https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/9409

6. pinchmass

pinchmass

Hi

I'm trying to start with the aircraft in the air (you explained to dvs_code123 a method to do this with the public bool placeAt)

can you give me an example of the code as I'm a bit lost, loving the Helicopter version

7. Gargore

Gargore

Let me think..... for example imagine that you get the instance reference of an GAircraft object, you can place it at somewhere with that code.

For example, you can add the following code to any MonoBehaviour class:

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class ResetPosition: MonoBehaviour {
    5.     public GAircraft aircraftInstance = null;
    6.     public GameObject startingPosition = null;
    7.     void Start () {
    8.         ...
    9.     }
    10.     void Update () {
    11.         ...
    12.         if (condition for reset position) {
    13.             if ((aircraftInstance != null)  (startingPosition != null)) {
    14.                 aircraftInstance.placeAt(startingPosition.transform.position, startingPosition.transform.eulerAngles);
    15.                 aircraftInstance.ignore_check_simulation_broken();
    16.             }
    17.         }
    18.     }
    19. }
    To setup aircraftInstance and startingPosition objects, you can attach this script to a new gameobject and drag in the inspector, over the properties Aircraft Instance an aircraft, and over the Starting Position propertyany gameobject.

For condition you can use anyone of your choose, for example if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Z)) so when you press the Z key in the keyboard, the aircraft will be placed at startingPosition gameobject position.

There is a complete example of usage in the GSCameraAux.cs script, included in the toolkit, in the function recoverVehicle, near the line 189 (this can vary depeding on which version do you have). Simply search .placeAt in the GSCameraAux.cs code.

Finally you must call ignore_check_simulation_broken method just after placeAt to avoid the crash detector detects the movement as a collision.

Hope that helps. If you contact us by mail at uas@gargore.com would be better for giving you more advanced support.

Kind Regards,
    Gargore Team.

8. Gargore

Gargore

We have made a new video with bad weather tests, here it is:

Hope you like it!

9. pinchmass

pinchmass

fantastic thanks for the help

10. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi, i am trying to make it so i can adjust the COM (center of mass) or _center_ position at runtime? Simply moving the position of _center_ has at runtime has no effect. Is there a way i can do this?

Thanks

11. Gargore

Gargore

Gibbonuk: you must get the aircraft's Rigidbody's instance and change it's centerOfMass property.

However for some reason Unity's physic module behaves far better if you simply do not use centerOfMass (or _center_ which is basically the same) and instead of that, you use colliders: if you place colliders inside the rigidbody group the inertia and center of mass will be calculated using the volume of your colliders. To change the centerOfMass while in runtime, you simply move one or more of that colliders.

12. Gargore

Gargore

13. pinchmass

pinchmass

any updates ?

14. Gargore

Gargore

Input Manager with touch and multitouch support was launched already, and is compatible with every unity library, including current version of Aircraft Toolkit.

We are looking for integrating additional options into Aircraft Toolkit, but you can already use the libraries as they are to get handheld controls.

We are working also in other new features.

15. HugoPeters

HugoPeters

I'm just posting as a happy customer of the toolkit. I have been using this for a long time now and it still keeps me amazed with the flexibility and options.
    Currently I'm using this toolkit for the development of the game Pilot Tycoon and getting more more experience with it as i have around 50 airplanes and actually even some boats and cars using the same toolkit.

See here what the toolkit does for me.

I think for me the power of this toolkit is the C# source code (modules) in combination with the flexible airplane models and options which gives me the possibility to create new features like auto landing.

When I'm a bit further with the development of my game i would like to spend some time to donate some of the (public domain) aircraft I'm using in the game and maybe even the Aircraft carrier which has C# scripts attached like the landing lights, landing cable brakes and the launching.

16. Gargore

Gargore

Nice work!

17. Gargore

Gargore

Now with handheld / touch interfaces support by using the EIM Mobile library (https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/15470).

For integrating EIM Mobile into your existent Aircraft Toolkit project:
    1) import the eim mobile package
    2) go to the examples folder (in /Plugins/Extensible Input Manager/Examples path in the current version).
    3) open the example 5 (virtual joysticks and multitouch).
    4) select all these objects (use ctrl + click in pc or cmd + click in mac) in the scene gameobjects list and copy it: Input Manager, joystick-base, joystick-base, Touch, Touch, Touch, Touch, Touch.
    5) open your scene
    6) paste the copied elements
    7) open the gaircraft script and add the following line (in future versions this step will not be necesary):
    using Input = com.gargore.InputManager.Override.Input;
    Now you can use the unity axes defined by the virtual joysticks: VJoystick1X, VJoystick1Y, VJoystick2X, VJoystick2Y like in this example:

$eim mobile and aircraft toolkit example.png

Finally remember to update the GSCameraAux script properties (usually in the same gameobject that GAircraft to lower the InputHorizontalMouseSensivity and InputVerticalMouseSensivity to one tenth of their value or zero.

$aircraft toolkit GSCameraAux.png

And that's all :) hope you enjoy it!

Of course you can use Extensible Input Manager Touch for any or your other projects in which you need to include touch support.

We will release updates with new cool features in the sooner future :).

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  18. Gargore

Gargore

We have almost ready an upgrade fixing some user-reported issues. We also have included some avionic new features.

If you want to test this version before the release, please contact us at uas@gargore.com for beta testing requests.

Thank you!!

19. diccon

diccon

I have bought the package and am enjoying it so far, I am curious about the autopilot feature. How close are you to getting it working? It seems to work well for the airliner, but not so well for the acrobatic plane. Also what are the differences between the different types of autopilot? I hope you will include some documentation or comments when it is all fully working, but I'm excited about this feature as it will mean we can do nice AI planes.

20. Gargore

Gargore

The airliner and the acrobatic airplanes are handled differently. The acrobatic uses much more the roll, so completely different autopilots are needed. In addition the acrobatic is much faster in turns, so more accurate avionics are needed.

We are still working into it and in addition to finishing the toolkit we also have another project which needs both acrobatic autopilot and acrobatic arcade semi-autopilot (exposes to the player arcade-like controls and manages the simulator controls allowing nice physics and ease controls).

So the features will be available, but we still don't know when.

21. diccon

diccon

Thanks for replying so quickly, I am hoping to develop a War Thunder type of control system as well as AI so this kind of automated control is very interesting to me, I will keep a close eye on your updates.

22. hunterua

hunterua

Hello Gargore
    We are looking for component for flight simulation in our game and your one looks a probably good candidate.
    Mostly because in our game we plan to use airplanes and helicopters.
    I have the following questions:
    - How realistic helicopter physics is implemented ?
    - Is it possible to handle virtual cockpit for helicopter for most of gauges ?
    - What the tasks we should solve to simulate floatplanes or amphibian with your package ? Or is it works out of the box ? One of the mission in the game is about to land plane to the river and Im wondering how is your package is ready for that.

Thank you!

Regards,
    Vyacheslav

23. Gargore

Gargore

Hello Hunterua,

- Helicopter physics are simulated using virtual surfaces instead of rotating ordinary surfaces (direct simulation is not possible due aliasing effects, without increasing the physics framerate with all its drawbacks). We included in the simulation the primary effects, the floor effect and overspeed mach effects, as well as other effects like explosion air vibrations and others. You can test the demo in http://gargore.com/uas/aircraft-toolkit/demo.0.78.2.php ... for example, raise the helicopter over 1500 meters and then gain enough speed to reach the overspeed (around 300-400 km/h you will start to get mach effects because the rotating blade on some points exceeds the sound speed).

- Yes, the helicopter demo have only some handles in the cockpit because the original apache model didn't included gauges. However you can check the airplanes demos. The method for including gauges and handles in airplanes and helicopters is exactly the same, so it will be no problems.

- Toolkit does not include buoyancy itself, however it will work with any buoyancy kit OR if you don't have one you can modify the wheels: place them upwards, a bit inside the aircraft body, replace the bottom colliders, enlarge and make softer the suspension springs and you will get a basic like-buoyancy effect, at least temporarily.

Hope it helps!

Regards,
    Gargore.

24. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi there ,

Is this project still alive and will it be develop further?

We are making a ww2 flight simulator and we like to know if the physic is realistic enough and also if 3d cockpit instruments are possible?

Thank for your time

25. John-G

John-G

Any updates on next release?