Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Advanced Dynamic Shaders - GPU wind shaders

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BOXOPHOBIC, May 16, 2018.

1. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

IMPORTANT: Due to numerous internal changes made for further development, Advanced Dynamic Shaders 2.0 is not compatible with previous versions. By upgrading you will need to delete the old Advanced Dynamic Shaders folder, import version 2.0 and reassign the shaders. Please backup your project before upgrading. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Advanced GPU wind shaders built with AMPLIFY SHADER EDITOR for consoles and mobile with global wind, noise, grass tinting and grass size support. Version 2.0 comes with more features, improved wind and new shader functions for one click integration with any shader created with Amplify Shader Editor. Set your world in motion!

Works with ANY MESH, no pre-preparation needed. Compatible with POLYBRUSH for wind mask painting (Vertex Color Red) in Unity 2017.1 or higher. Please check the features and limitations below and read the documentation for more info. Also make sure you follow the HOW TO steps for a smooth experience! If you have any questions or issues please do not hesitate to contact me.

FEATURES 2.0

VEGETATION STUDIO Instancing Indirect support!
    AMPLIFY SHADER EDITOR (v1.5.5) support!
    AMPLIFY SHADER FUNCTIONS for wind, noise, etc. included
    • Highly customizable Generic, Cloth and Grass shaders included
    • Highly optimized GPU vertex animation
    • Console, Mobile and VR optimized shaders
    • Standard PBR and Mobile Specular lighting models
    • All Unity lighting setting supported (Lightmaps, Realtime GI, Fog, etc)
    • Instacing and Batching support to minimize drawcalls
    • Perspective and Orthographic, 3D and 2D camera support
    • Standard and Mobile demo scenes included​

• Global Wind support
    • Global Wind Noise (Turbulence) support
    • Global Grass Tinting support
    • Global Grass Size support
    • Global Debug Modes support

• Opaque, Cutout, Fade and Transparent blend modes support
    • Front, Back and Double Sided cull modes support
    • Accurate lighting on model backface​

LIMITATIONS

• Only SM3+ hardware is supported
    • Only Metallic Smoothness shaders included
    • Forward Rendering + SSAO will cause visual artifacts on dynamic objects (Unity limitation)
    • The dynamic objects are distorted when using extreme wind settings
    • Models using Polybrush can not be set to Static (Unity limitation)
    • SRP not yet supported​

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  2. Neviah

Neviah

I can't get the link to the asset store to work.
    Do you have any more example videos? It's beautiful to look at.

3. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hi,
    I'm glad that you like it! No other videos for now, I will probably do a features+tutorial video in the near future.
    Fixed the link, btw :D

Neviah likes this.
  4. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

Only SM3 hardware is supported? Did you mean SM3+ hardware? Because this is vertex shader, can you bend grass down, and control the direction of bend using this asset?

5. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hi. I'm trying to avoid building SM2 shaders, it is quite limited and if I want to add some new features it will become harder and harder to support it. The majority of today's phones support SM3 shaders.

Bending and avoidance is not supported but this is definitely something I would like to add in the future.

6. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

Ok, so how does this differ from other assets from the store. Avoidance in a vertex? The thing is I am new to 3D shaders. So can the grass bend down. Because if I do it through a script it will be CPU right

7. UnityRocksAlt

UnityRocksAlt

And this will support Shader Model 5 cards, etc That is what I meant. The reason is because you said it is limited to SM3 only. It's a stupid question to ask from me, but I want to be sure.

8. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

I understand :), It supports SM3 cards and above.

9. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Hi

1) is there a change to have a more complex grass moving or moving on any objects anyway? The movement looks very poor on grass because it's a simple same loop without a dynamic variation.

2) Does the vertex movement speed depends on the distance to the center of the object?
    Btw is there any example tutorial how to spread vertex colors over an Mesh to get specified results?

3) Is there a possibility to delete not used Shader variants?

4) Does the Shader works with simple grass quad meshes using alpha masking?

Thank you.

"Only SM3 hardware is supported" implements for old ugly mobile phones only. :p

10. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hi,

1. The movement is quite basic right now indeed. I want to implement a global turburence but time is not on my side right now. But this is something that I definitely want to add.

2. No it doesn't. Did you see this happening? The animation is done in world space. For vertex and vertex alpha paining you can use Polybrush if you want to use Unity for it. There are tutorials on youtube. Here is one of them:

3. I'm not sure if shader variants can be stripped from shaders. If you own Amplify Shader Editor, then you can take out different variants. Even there are a lot of variants, only the used ones are included in the build.

.4 Yes, alpha masking is supported.

The shaders can work with SM2, but I'm trying to avoid it. It is quite limited.

Thanks!

11. BusterTheWizard

BusterTheWizard

Just got this and love it! Your ASE layout was so neat and organized I ended up reorganizing some of mine to be cleaner.

That said, there is one thing I thing this could benefit from - make all the wind parts of the shader a Shader Function so it can easily be dropped in on any shader in ASE. I already did it myself and it only took a few minutes (just had to rename everything because unless I'm doing something wrong, it's not pasting the names), but it would be awesome for new customers to already have it when they purchase the asset!

12. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Thanks! I'm glad that you like it!
    The wind shader functions are already in work plus some other common functions. I hope I'll finish them asap.
    I'm also planning to add Vegetation Studio support and create separate shader for props, grass, flags to reduce the shader static switches / compilation time.

upload_2018-6-26_7-22-50.png

I also added Global turbulence and a new debug mode for mask and global noise.
    upload_2018-6-26_7-44-33.png

More coming soon!

BusterTheWizard likes this.
  13. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

This is support wind with trees (obj or fbx format) maked with 3d party soft such as Evolved TreeIt ?

14. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hi, TreeIt is already on my roadmap, it shouldn't be too hard to implement.

15. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

This is... good news (c) Star Wars )
    then i must trade it (as i see this is very intresting & must be fast tool)
    one question - treeit in near-ring or far-ring in you roadmap ?

16. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

Hm. I find bug in demos - if i open mobile shader demo then it work on gpu (as write in desciption) (guu - 20 - 30%) & fps is good. after open standard shaders demo gpu working onliy on 4-6% of power (i have gtx 750ti) and have big lags

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  17. metteigel

metteigel

Quick Question before buying:
    Does it Work with the new HD Shader and Pipeline ?

So can i still use my Translucency Map ? Or my Roughness, Normal, AO and Albedo ?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  18. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

metteigel, to LW PR this shader rewrite on one-two (left back foot). for HD exist bug - all in magenta colors (HD settings for scene is active). but may be i not correct rewrite for HD-RP

ps. all maps has be used i think

19. marcrem

marcrem

Hi,

Is it possible to change wind direction during play time and have smooth transitions of the wind animations?

20. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hello,

Unfortunately changing wind direction is not possible in play mode and due to some texture panning on the wind direction it won't be supported.

Thanks!

21. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hello,

I know it is an old question, but somehow I missed it. LWRP and HDRP are not yet supported. I'm planning to add support for unity 2019.1 and SRP 5.0 when it is released. I had some issues with previous versions so I'm waiting for a more stable release.

Thanks!

22. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hello,

Old thread I know, but some how I missed it :)
    I just discovered that in later unity versions, if the Auto Generate lightmap is enabled, the scene is laggy even if GI and Lightmap generation is disabled. I think that unity is checking if any object is set to static and there are many grass objects in the scene.
    I'm using unity 5.6 for greater compatibility and I don't have this problem.

Thanks!

23. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

No Problem!
    and what about tree it wind ? - if i create Trees in this editor & set wind zone in Unity for tree then leaf rotated over branches & not have fixed point
    PS. Yes, and new version Tree It have texture atlas as option (if use, then tree exporting as one mesh & one material)

24. Nihilus0

Nihilus0

Hi, @BOXOPHOBIC
    I have VEGETATION STUDIO. but I don't know how to apply your asset.
    I added your prefab as instructed, but it didn't work on the grass of VEGETATION STUDIO.
    Could you tell me more?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  25. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Unfortunately, I don't have TreeIt support yet officially, but I did some test and so far everything is working fine.
    Sorry things are a bit slow, I'm only working on assets in my free time and not as a full time job .Hopefully I will make it available on the asset store soon :)

Gray_Master likes this.
  26. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hello,

I used Vegetation Studio only for testing purposes, so I only replaced one of the Object used in their demo with my prefab. My goal was to add VS support for my shaders, but I don't really used it to create something.
    upload_2018-11-14_12-27-46.png

This intro tutorial might help:

Please let me know if you have any issues!

Thank you!

Neviah likes this.
  27. Gray_Master

Gray_Master

I trust in You )))

28. DanielThomas

DanielThomas

If someone find a solution to this I would be very interested in hearing! I'm trying to change wind direction and wind strength at runtime.

29. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hello,

Right now the global parameters can be changed only in editor, at runtime I disabled them as an optimization. I could add an option to be able to change the parameters at runtime. Regarding the direction, it cannot be changed due to the scrolling texture that is used as turbulence. Disabling the Global Noise on shader, you should be able to change the wind direction.

Thanks!

30. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

TreeIt shader in progress. Here is a small wip preview so far:

nxrighthere and Neviah like this.
  31. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

TreeIt has some bugs when exporting the vertex color for wind animation, so I decided to go for SpeedTree shaders and SpeedTree with VegetationStudio Instanced Indirect support first. Trunk height blending, bark randomization, cross fade LODs, global color randomization, global leaves amount and new shader UI are a few of the new features.

The price of the asset will increase with the new release, so grab your copy on a lower price today. Set your world in motion!

Unity Asset Store: http://u3d.as/19o4

nxrighthere likes this.
  32. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hello, i just bought it, was wondering if i can make wind turbulence from an chopper ?
    Since is a dynamic shader, we have the wind noise texture, we could add a round texture or something ?

33. Johny-Gull

Johny-Gull

Hello Boxophobic-team! :)
    Can I use Advanced Dynamic Shader with Outline, because in both cases, Local Vertex Offset is used?

34. studio1h

studio1h

Hi!

Just bought your shaders. -- Great work! Love them!!

Quick question: Since you support Vegetation Studio for indirect instancing, have you considered also adding support for Vegetation Studio's touch react system? Personally, I'd love to see that feature added to your shaders.

Thanks!

: )

J

35. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hello, sorry for the late answer! Thanks for buying the asset. I hope you are happy with it so far and thanks for letting me know what do you consider that is mission. Feedback is appreciated!

Happy to announce that ADS won the 3rd place at Unity Awards 2018 in the Best Development Category. Thanks everybody for their support.

I'm planning to add effects like that after the next update and I'm planing to make it texture based so character avoidance, chopper radial motion or explosion deflection could be achieved. More to explorer once I finish with the current update.

Here are 3 new features I'm adding to ADS for the next update:
    1. Tree shader support (SpeedTree compatible)

2. New Advanced Lit shaders, with transmission (for leaves) and tesselation (for tree bark) for greater realism
    foliage_standard.jpg foliage_transmission.jpg

3. New Mesh baking tool to make any plant or tree compatible with ADS.

More coming soon!

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    corjn and nxrighthere like this.
  36. CaliCoastReplay

CaliCoastReplay

Hey, a question -

I'm very interested in a purchase here because I need access to a Wind function for Amplify. This could save me weeks of development. However, I'm hoping to use such a function in my own custom foliage packs and kits that may be sold on the Unity store, and I'm assuming the standard license wouldn't cover that.

What would it take to purchase access to a license allowing me to use your wind functions in my own asset packs?

Best! The demos are great!

37. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Thanks, I'm glad that yo like it!

I don't have any licence added to my shaders or functions. Now all my Amplify functions and scripts are interconnected, so basically you won't be able to use the wind function as is, without including most of my asset in your asset. Since I'm using ASE, I guess that you can use parts of my functions and scripts, modify them to your need and add them to your asset. I don't see a problem with that.

Amplify also included Unity's built in Wind function and they also have a Waving Vertex function, maybe those can help as well.

With the next release, I will include a new tool called Mesh Packer and new foliage and tree shaders. Mesh Packer will pack any custom mesh to be compatible with my shaders and it will have out of the box presets for trees and foliage created from users on the asset store. If you are interested please contact me at boxophobic@gmail.com

The first custom meshes supported by Mesh Packer are SpeedTree and TreeIt (awesome free softwere).
    Here is quick preview for treeit with Advanced Dynamic Shaders:

Thank you!

nxrighthere likes this.
  38. Teila

Teila

Speedtree support? I am sold. Thank you. The new Speetree 8 trees have been released. Will you support them as well? So for I have no 8 trees but who knows what will happen in the future. :)

Looking forward to trying this with VS Pro.

39. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hi, I looked at SpeedTree 8 wind mask and it is the same as V7 so it will be supported.
    Some things that I implemented so far:

Tree Bark Shader:
    • Trunk Texture Variation - each tree has different texture offset
    • Trunk + Moss Blending (height based blending)
    • Trunk + Young Branch Blending (different texture on branches for greater realism)
    • Trunk Tessellation
    • Coming Soon - Scanned trunk base support
    • SpeedTree and TreeIt support
    • Other smaller settings

Tree Leaf Shader:
    • Global Leaves Amount for better randomization
    • Global Leaves Tint
    • Transmission
    Thanks!

Teila likes this.
  40. Teila

Teila

This is great. :) Thank you!

41. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Hi,
    I purchased this simply on the basis that I will not drip feed the ilks of SpeedTree from my monthly income so I can make a tree, they have had their day, now it's time to move on with that financial strategy.

I use TreeIt almost exclusively and have a huge collection of unique (given the permutations available) trees, so what I need now is a way to import animations. This product should complete that workflow. I saw your posts on the TreeIt forums, so the FBX exporter has been fixed (I think). I am sincerely hoping that you will not drop the TreeIt functionality in this asset.

Are you going to announce a release date for the update to this asset, perhaps include via email to those that have purchased already?

Teila likes this.
  42. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hi. I used both SpeedTree and TreeIt at work. Both are awesome but I choose TreeIt for its simplicity and good results.
    TreeIt and SpeedTree are already supported via a mesh converter. This way I can offer support for any custom tree or trees made by other users.

The asset is almost ready, but I need to create the promo video and some tutorials. Hopefully by the end of the they will be ready. On release I will post on this thread and on facebook (https://www.facebook.com/BOXOPHOBIC/). Unfortunately I can't notify people on email using the asset store.

Recently I added a new feature, global seasons (experimental). If everything goes well, I thinking to add global snow, water drop on plants...

Thanks!

OdderOtter, nxrighthere and Teila like this.
  43. Teila

Teila

Fabulous! Cannot wait to try it. :) I checked out Treeit and it is also amazing. So nice to have options.

44. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

Is there going to be an upgrade path, or do we buy the new release at its asset store price?

45. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

No upgrade path. All users that already own the asset will have the new features :)

nxrighthere, A_World_Maker and Teila like this.
  46. A_World_Maker

A_World_Maker

I'll leave this page open and keep checking back

47. StayUpLate

StayUpLate

Just bought it and really liking it. Only thing I noticed is that with the generic shader the object does not light up when I shine a unity light on it. Do I need to take an extra step? Thanks!

48. BOXOPHOBIC

BOXOPHOBIC

Hi, I'm really glad that yo like it!

Are you using the Simple Lit shader? In the current version is not working since I planned to optimize it for mobile. In version 2.2 it will use unity's Lambert lighting and it will support all unity features, forward and deferred rendering.
    With the new Lightweight render pipeline, I'm not sure if I should make or not mobile shaders for the Standard Rendering Pipeline.

I think a poll would be the best way to find out :)

49. StayUpLate

StayUpLate

I agree. Let's do it :D

50. Teila

Teila

Please make it with Standard. Some of us are not yet moving to the new pipelines with existing projects. :) And..I already bought it. lol