Search Unity

[Released] Advanced Details - MicroSplat Module

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by wmpunk, Jan 2, 2018.

1. wmpunk

wmpunk

Don't worry I have nice update in the works that I will push out later this week and include updated documentation and a tutorial video for the splatter utility. I am currently doing a big overhaul on it to make it more intuitive fixing bugs and some performance issues with it.

I just finished updated the GUI and tomorrow I update the shaders and processing logic for it.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. sylon

sylon

Nice!
    So far i have no complaints about performance. But faster is always better :)
    I do have trouble making textures that work well.
    I tried the SplatterPrototype (excellent idea btw) but it had some problems with my alpha channels.
    Could be me though. Just played with it for like an hour.
    Looking forward to the update.

3. wmpunk

wmpunk

So quick update. The Splatter Utility update has taken a lot more time than anticipated and holidays have slowed work but it Is just about done. I rewrote it completely and will hopefully be more comfortable to work with. It now runs in its own window and the shaders use multi-render targets to do just about everything in one pass. Previously the was a pass for every texture and every step wich became performance intensive so I had to lock the preview resolution to 512 resolution and lock the layers to 4. Now it is not a issue. It also allowed you to process AO, Metal, and Emission (currently not supported with Advanced Details, but I hope to support soon). I also adjusted the how things work to make it easier to properly layer the separate channels, before overlaying layers would just overwrite there color values but now they can function more additive to let stacked layers do just that.The only thing left now is to tweak the GUI and shaders and re-implement exporting logic. Just about there.

Ziplock9000 and sylon like this.
  4. Ziplock9000

Ziplock9000

Does this render the details in the same shader that renders the terrain within microsplat or is it a seperate pass and shader? What sort of performance hits do we get with this and how linear is it based on the number of details on a terrain?

5. sylon

sylon

I just saw an update available on the asset store.
    I'm glad. Bit worried about the silence here.

To answer @Ziplock9000 's question..
    It renders in the same shader in the same pass.
    It will cost you a few extra samples, but i don't notice it.
    I am using Microsplat with Streams and Advanced Details on mobile (Huawei P10) and it's looking awesome and i'm still hitting 60fps.

Ziplock9000 and StevenPicard like this.
  6. edwindejongh

edwindejongh

Hey @wmpunk , When I try to enable Advanced Details I get a shader error and my whole terrain turns white. I tried reimporting and I made sure to update all modules to the latest, but it still persists. The shader error I'm getting is 'invalid subscript 'xy' on line 1074. Anything I can do to fix this?

7. Harjawalda

Harjawalda

Hi, when can we expect an update to microsplat 2.6?

8. MrRightclick

MrRightclick

Hey @wmpunk
    we're using your plugin in our mobile game project, but it's causing every build to run at 25fps or lower. Disabling Advanced Details causes FPS to jump back up to 60.
    Are you still supporting this plugin? Seems it hasn't gotten updates since March.

9. Bukyja

Bukyja

Anyone is able to still use this package? I'm able to activate it but paint detail editor saying its not active

10. m506

m506

Hi, this module doesn't seem to work with the latest microsplat version (3.0). Are there any plans to fix this at any point?

11. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

The developer hasn't logged in since November of last year. I hope he is doing well but it does look like this may not be developed further.

12. jbooth

jbooth

in 3.1 I made it so the module will compile again, but I’m not sure if it works or not since I can’t update the code in the module at all (not my asset)

13. m506

m506

such a pity. this module is actually very good and fits microsplat very well. if it is was abandoned, it would be nice to at least work properly even tough no new updates would be released. the latest version i can get working is 2.6 and
    i managed to compile with 3.1 but the details get blurred and alpha doesnt work...

14. jbooth

jbooth

Id be happy to keep it working, but I don’t have access to upload new versions.

15. m506

m506

I don't know if that is feasible but, if that is the case, why don't you re-post the project under your own umbrella? i would be happy to pay for the module again (as an official microsplat module) and i am sure lots of people might as well. this project is not being actively developed so lots of people don't know its existence and its potential. i am sure you could market it properly.

16. jbooth

jbooth

I don't have legal rights to do that without his permission.. Can't just take someone elses work and repost it..

17. m506

m506

i understand... thank you for your attention and your amazing module.
    @wmpunk, kudos as well.