Search Unity

[RELEASED] Acrocatic - Highly customizable 2D platforming character

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinBrouwer, May 7, 2014.

1. MakeGames2

MakeGames2

How about swinging on a vine or rope?

2. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Hi everyone!

This is probably my last message here, but I come with good news!

First of all I want to thank all of you for your support over the years and for all the feedback regarding Acrocatic. I had a blast developing Acrocatic, loved all the awesome reactions and seeing games developed using the asset. I also want to thank you guys for the feedback on my last messages. There was enough info to gather interest for the asset to be picked up again and managed. So that's what's happening!

I'd like to introduce you to the new owner of Acrocatic: Reinaldo Figueroa (rayfigs). He'll chime in with some info on the asset direction, support and more. I saw some stuff he's already working on and it's looking great! So you're in good hands. :)

Well, that's it. Thanks again for all the support, good luck with all of the games you're developing and goodbye!

PS: If you're ever in Amsterdam, be sure to check out Funbase. It's a startup I'm working on at the moment. :)

Too-Nerd-To-Die and docsavage like this.
  3. rayfigs

rayfigs

Thank you Robin for creating such a fun and clean project, it was always fun to use and continues to be a great reference on setting up a 2d adventure character controller.
    I'm excited to be able to pick up the torch from such a great asset.

I have a lot that I would like to say but give me some time while I finish up some loose ends on my side and I'll make sure to make it worth your while.

Sorry for keeping you hanging, I promise it'll be worth the wait :)

Best regards,
    Reinaldo Figueroa

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  4. zer0w0

zer0w0

great project!

rayfigs likes this.
  5. douglasdaquino

douglasdaquino

Hello! How are you doing? So, I'm pretty excited to experiment Acrocatic in my project, since it's about a cat doing acrobatics in an urban environment, but I was wondering about the licensing of this asset, since I couldn't find any information about it in your website or in the asset store... I know it's free and you've created it so other developers like me could test possibilities in 2D gameplay, but what if I used in a commercial project? Can you please clarify that to me? Thank you :) and great work, it looks awesome (and I know how hard it is to make this, since I'm still struggling with the first steps on my own).

6. hodgepodge2022

hodgepodge2022

Looking forward for the next version. I'm excited to see it picked up again

7. egem2015

egem2015

I am also waiting for great updates for this great game.

8. rayfigs

rayfigs

douglasdaquino- The scripts are able to be used in commercial project and you are free to modify the code. I ask that the art not be used in commercial projects. The package was set to free for a limited time but support and development of the code is back so the asset is now paid again. Support is available for all to use (free or paid users alike) so if you have any questions or request please send them my way!

Additional update for all- Expected in the next release I've modified a lot of the player script to allow for touch gestures( no virtual dpad but solely with gestures) this looked like a useful request so I decided to add it to the base code for all to enjoy.

I'll be including my animated score counter in acrocatic, as this will be the base of my health and magic system, which in turn means acrocatic will have the ability to have health,magic/oxygen/fuel for jet packs etc and lives.
    Collectibles will be added

Additionally in the first quarter of the new year I'll be transitioning the kit to be more of a complete solution to building complete game. The base of which is a level editor, so no need to place assets by hand to build levels.

In the meanwhile please let me know how Acrocatic has helped you!

9. KitCoda

KitCoda

Looking forward to this getting upgraded!

10. fnpulido

fnpulido

HI, I've using Acrocatic to do some testings, and I've a problem with the shaders. I've the sprites with normal maps made by Sprite Illuminator, and when I use these sprites with the standar shader, with albedo and normal maps, the Flip doesn't work and when the player goes to the left, this disappear. If I change the shader and I use the Sprite Default shader, the Flip works perfectly.

I've seen in the forum one problem like this one (related to the use a Vector3 in the Flip function of the Player.cs), but I've checked and this bug has been fixed in the last version.

Any people knows wich can be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

Sprite shader

Default shader with albedor and normal maps

11. rayfigs

rayfigs

Hi to me it looks like you are having issue with culling. You can either duplicate or invert normals, or change your shader. I can look to see if I can dynamically invert normals for you if needed.
    Please give this a watch and let me know your thought. If you have extra questions please feel free to shoot me an email.

Cheers,
    Reinaldo

12. fnpulido

fnpulido

Hi, I'm back with this again. I'm afraid I can not change the shader, because I use "Texture Packer / Sprite Illuminator", which uses the normals to add volume to the sprites and produces shadows.
    Because of this I have two possibilities:
    - Invert the normals dynamically.
    - Modify the animator and the animation management to use two different sprites for the directions. Really it is the best solution, because if you do a "Flip", you can not have asymmetrical sprites, for example: sprites with a weapon in one hand and a shield in the other hand.
    The real question is: Is it worthwhile to modify the asset or create a new one? Above all, considering that there is no support in practice and it seems that it is not used too much.