Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Acrocatic - Highly customizable 2D platforming character

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinBrouwer, May 7, 2014.

1. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

ahh thats what it is, i have an invoke script creating clones of a fireball which fall with a rigidbody from the cieling and was trying to make them into a hazard like falling lava or something, i have death scripts attached to them and that's why the timer isnt running, il try and figure out a way round it

also cant wait to try out the v1.2

2. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

also regarding v1.2, what scripts have been changed, all of them or only some of them, reason i ask is ive made alterations to a lot of the scripts for audio and want to figure out the best way of integrating them without affecting what ive already done

3. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Updated all the demo's on the website: http://battlebrothers.io/acrocatic/demo/. All using Unity 5. Animations work way better now thanks to the new Entry / Exit system in Unity 5. :)

Quite a lot has changed (almost all scripts), so I'd advice you to at least back-up your work before trying to add v1.2 to your current project. If you changed stuff at the core, you might have to redo that.

4. ghost012

ghost012

I dont know if this has been asked bevore, but can i use 3D elements(character,map/level) in a 2D fashion? Or does it really have to be 2D sprites?

5. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Acrocatic only uses 2D sprites and uses Unity's built-in 2D mechanics (like Rigidbody2D). So I don't think 3D can be used for the character or setting up the levels.

6. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

Hello guys, congratulations to all who bought this asset, is a great asset and has great support, someone tried using the acrocatic with light?
    Everything in this scene are using Sprite Diffuse and is being affected by the lighting Directional light, but when the player changes direction he loses lighting, someone already found a solution?

Tkz!

7. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Too-Nerd-To-Die likes this.
  8. jocyf

jocyf

Thanks, man. I've been waiting for this update all the month, so now I can try to update my game to Unity 5.

9. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Hey guys, what do you think about the death script being attatched to the objects themself rather than just runnig in the background.

see i encountered a problem that Robin pointed out to me, if you collide with a death object and destroy it shortly after the timer to reset the level will no longer work and you will be stuck there unable to move but the level wont reset

how would be the best way to rework the code so the death script runs in the background and instead works with tags such as if the "player" collides with "deathobject" or something

10. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

One way of doing it:
    There's a Settings GameObject in the Scene. If there's not, just add an empty one and call it settings. Now you just have to attach a script to this object which has a public function called Death(). This function contains the timer instead of the Death object (since it's destroyed). Now it's just a matter of finding the Settings game object from within the 'deathobject', get the corresponding Script and call that Death function on it. Then the timer will run from within the Settings object, which will still exist.

Here's some code. Not 100% sure it would work, but it'll at least point you in the right direction. ;)

Code (CSharp):
    1. // Inside the deathobject
    2. GameObject settings = GameObject.Find("Settings");
    3. settings.GetComponent<DeathTimer>().Death();
    5. // DeathTimer.cs (added to the Settings GameObject)
    6. public void Death() {
    7.   // ... Start the timer inside this script.
    8. }

11. jocyf

jocyf

Here you have a diffuse shader that works. It's bassically the same as Unity's but it does not take into account the sprites normal. The trick is the 'vert' part where normal and tangent are initialized by hand:
    v.normal = float3(0, 0, -1);
    v.tangent = float4(-1, 0, 0, 1);

Code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader "Sprites/Diffuse v2"
    2. {
    3. Properties
    4. {
    5.   [PerRendererData] _MainTex ("Sprite Texture", 2D) = "white" {}
    6.   _Color ("Tint", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    7.   [MaterialToggle] PixelSnap ("Pixel snap", Float) = 0
    8. }
    10. SubShader
    11. {
    12.   Tags
    13.   {
    14.    "Queue"="Transparent"
    15.    "IgnoreProjector"="True"
    16.    "RenderType"="Transparent"
    17.    "PreviewType"="Plane"
    18.    "CanUseSpriteAtlas"="True"
    19.   }
    21.   Cull Off
    22.   Lighting Off
    23.   ZWrite Off
    24.   Fog { Mode Off }
    25.   Blend One OneMinusSrcAlpha
    27.   CGPROGRAM
    28.   #pragma surface surf Lambert vertex:vert
    29.   #pragma multi_compile DUMMY PIXELSNAP_ON
    31.   sampler2D _MainTex;
    32.   fixed4 _Color;
    34.   struct Input
    35.   {
    36.    float2 uv_MainTex;
    37.    fixed4 color;
    38.   };
    40.   void vert (inout appdata_full v, out Input o)
    41.   {
    42.    #if defined(PIXELSNAP_ON) && !defined(SHADER_API_FLASH)
    43.    v.vertex = UnityPixelSnap (v.vertex);
    44.    #endif
    45.    v.normal = float3(0, 0, -1);
    46.    v.tangent = float4(-1, 0, 0, 1);
    48.    UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(Input, o);
    49.    o.color = v.color * _Color;
    50.   }
    52.   void surf (Input IN, inout SurfaceOutput o)
    53.   {
    54.    fixed4 c = tex2D(_MainTex, IN.uv_MainTex) * IN.color;
    55.    o.Albedo = c.rgb * c.a;
    56.    o.Alpha = c.a;
    57.   }
    58.   ENDCG
    59. }
    61. Fallback "Transparent/VertexLit"
    62. }

12. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

Not worked yet, but I suspect the problem is in the player script, in the condition direction of sprite left and right.

If you manually change the scale of 1 to -1 he does not lose the lighting, but if you change the direction of the sprite starts he loses lighting, apparently I think it will be easy to fix, I just cant, because I do not know program, I am designer, but I'm trying to learn code. :)

13. jocyf

jocyf

Uh! I've tried it with point & directional lights in Unity 4.6.3 and it worked perfectly for me. You only have to change the shader in your materials and adjust your light intensity, no need to 'code' anything at all; It should work.
    Witch Unity version are you using? I ask it because I could try it with your Unity's version and see what happens.

14. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

Unity 5.

15. jocyf

jocyf

In Unity 5, disable DirectX11.
    PlayerSettings (Edit-->ProjectSettings->Player), select "Other Settings" and uncheck "use Direc3D 11". Reopen Unity. Done!
    I don't know why it doesn't work in D3D11, I'll have to do some research to figure out (I'm not a shader expertise).

16. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Hey, couldn't figure your way out but i made my own method, i changed the death scipt so it was attached to the player rather than the death objects then changed the tag to "deadly" instead of player, that way all i have to do is tag dangerous objects as deadly and the level will reset

however the part // Make sure the player knows he's dead. doesnt seem to find the player so movement after death doesnt seem to work, i found out its because the original code which does this other.gameObject.GetComponent<Player>().Dead(); can no longer define other as other was defined in the uponTriggerEnter2D section

i tried declaring the player class but cant seem to figure it out, so assuming other is missing from the 2d collision section how do i make sure the player knows he is dead so i can disable movement after death

17. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

I've tried several things and still did not get, and I'm working with dx9.

I'm using unity sprite diffuse shader with directional light, when i turn the character he loses light.

Anyone solved this?

18. cfree

cfree

RobinBrower, thanks for the effort in the 1.2 release... excelent job!!

What are the plans for the 1.3 release? The list of features is really awesome :)

19. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Thanks! :)

Regarding v1.3, I'm planning to add these features:
    - Horizontal climbing where the character kind of 'hangs'. For example: climbing a horizontal hanging rope.
    - Vertical climbing on walls. You can now wall run, slide and jump, but the ability to actually climb the wall would be great. Kind of like in Ori and the Blind Forest: press a specific button when against a wall to simply climb it by pressing up or down.
    - Ledge interaction. Hanging on a ledge, climbing up, falling down... Stuff like that. Not really sure what the best method could be to achieve this, so this will be a small challenge for me. :)
    - Make the 'bouncy' platform a bit more useful. Now it's simply a different physics material, but I want something so you can add a specific force to the bouncy object. And when you press 'jump' at the right time, you can jump higher. Something like that.

Maybe I'll add some smaller features as well. And if a certain feature is more challenging than expected and it hinders the release of v1.3, I might push that feature to v1.4. I'm aiming to release v1.3 in June/July. Maybe sooner if I have more time for it. :)

hodge_podge and Too-Nerd-To-Die like this.
  20. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

Looking forward to it Robin. v1.2 works great on Unity 5 (However, IMHO the code and the way you handle jump through platforms could be improved on a little bit since the player object tends to fall through it. )

I'm glad to see you are still improving this asset.

21. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Haven't experienced that issue before. Do you have this issue on the demo scenes as well?
    Anyone else who experiences this issue?

22. hodge_podge

hodge_podge

Yes, I am using your web player link for my screenshots. Here, the game thinks the player wants to jump down a platform when the player isn't even holding down jump or down, only move left. I find this issue most frequently happens on the 1.2 ladder example. The same issue occurs on standalone builds.

Attached Files:

23. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Pretty strange. I just tested out the web player build and can't seem to replicate the issue. I'll keep trying though! Thanks for sharing the bug. :)

24. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Hey, so im going through all the PlayerWall code and im trying to find the specific line where it states the player must be holding the arrow key in the direction of the wall, see i was going to edit it out so the player could stick if it was just facing the wall and mid jump/not grounded, which specific line handles this?

also i noticed something regarding the experimental keep velocity after jump you included in 1.2, ive noticed it works when running right but not when running left which is quite strange, any reason why?

25. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Line 213. Search for 'player.hor'. :)

Found the bug causing the issue and it'll be fixed in v1.3. If you want to fix it yourself, it's simple. In Player.cs, change line both 144 and 176 to:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (keepVelocityOnGround && (groundedXVelocity > 0 || groundedXVelocity < 0)) {
    I only checked if groundedXVelocity was higher than 0 and not lower than 0. So that's why it only worked when moving to the right. ;)

26. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Even shorter and better:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if (keepVelocityOnGround && groundedXVelocity != 0) {

27. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

hey, yea that code works fine both forwards and backwards now, however its still a little buggy and doesnt seem to carry velocity sometimes, il try and look into it a little further

also i noticed a bug with the wall jumping stance, if the wall the player is attached to moves, or has its box collider disabled the player still stays in the wall jumping phase in the same position as when it started regardless, any idea of how to fix this?

ive been messing around with a lot of the code and its so complex im not sure what to chamge, from my undertanding the sticktowall variable is what determines weather a the player is stuck to the wall, however in no part of the code is said wall referenced so i cant think of how to add in that it can only be stuck to wall if said walls box collider is still there

also i mentioned previously about horizontal movement and attaching to the wall, i found that changing line around 232 to if ((player.facingRight || (!player.facingRight)) and removing the pleyer hor variables will allow you to stick to the wall without holding the arrow key in the direction of said wall, however when moving to the wall jumping phase the player brielfy appears to flip its axis and look like its wall sliding on the opposite axis

this also occurs when the player reaches the bottom of a wall and holds the arrow key away from the wall and has ben in acrocatic since i first noticed it months back, ive attached a photo, any ideas how to fix these two separate issues?
    pic32352525.png

EDIT: back, been messing around and made the player wall jump not mess with the animation frames by using

((player.facingRight && player.hor >= 0) || (!player.facingRight && player.hor <= 0))

however now ive noticed the boomerang jump doesn't work as they can simply press the jump button while sliding and jump strait up into the air

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  28. simondew

simondew

Hi Robin

I'm trying to add some extra functionality to Acrocatic but not sure the best place to fit it in your code.
    I'd like my character to die if it falls from over a certain distance. I thought about storing the last grounded position and then comparing it with the next grounded position and if that is over a certain distance I can call my die function.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Simon

29. simondew

simondew

In the end I implemented it in another script. I'm not sure how water tight it is but works well for now. It would be cool if you have this feature in a future update of Acrocatic.

Thanks

Code (CSharp):
    1.     void Start () {
    3.         player = GetComponent<Player>();
    4.         characterManager = GameObject.FindObjectOfType<CharacterManager>();
    5.         currentPosition = transform.position;
    6.         lastPosition = transform.position;
    7.     }
    10.     void Update () {
    12.         if(player.grounded && enableDieFromHeight)
    13.         {
    14.             currentPosition = transform.position;
    15.         }
    17.         if(lastPosition.y - currentPosition.y >= dieHeight && player.grounded)
    18.         {
    19.               characterManager.Die();  
    20.         }
    22.         if(player.grounded)
    23.         {
    24.             lastPosition = currentPosition;
    25.         }

30. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

Hi Guys Great news!

I managed to solve the problem with the lighting using sprite difuse shader.

In the script Player.cs in the Flip function, change the vector2 to Vector3.

Code (CSharp):
    1. // Multiply the player's x local scale by -1.
    2.                     Vector3 theScale = transform.localScale;
    3.                     theScale.x *= -1;
    4.                     transform.localScale = theScale;

31. cfree

cfree

Hi RobinBrouwer!!!
    Any news on 1.3 release? Is it going well as planned?? :)
    Thanks!!

32. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

i think ive encountered a massive bug with either acrocatic or with unity, hear me out

now the player rotates its direction by inverting the x axis on the scale of the transform to change its direction right, and this all works fine in the editor, however if you actually build a scene with the player then it will not appear visible when facing left or when its x axis = -1

ive messed around and im not sure how to resolve the issue, the worst case scenario is that the animations of everything will have to change completely and will need to incorporate both left and right facing sprites, can anyone else confirm this? build a scene of your game and see if the player is visible or not when facing left or right

33. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

It's still aimed for June/July. July seems more likely though. Very busy at the moment. :)

Seems like the same issue Too Nerd To Die had. See his post above how to solve it. :)
    I'll add that change to v1.3.

34. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Hello Robbin, ive temporarily fixed that issue i mentioned but i wondered if i could ask you something which you will know.

how exactly are the animations handled for the player in acrocatic, im trying to find the specific place where the animations are called but its very confusing, even with the new animation controller in 1.2

see in the game im working on i edited the playerwall script so you dint actually have to be holding the input in the direction of the wall t grab onto it because i though it suited the game play better, that all works fine, however im noticing a small issue with the animation in that if i hold the horizontal input key in the opposite direction of the wall at the split second you grab onto it then the wall sliding animation will play for a split second but be facing the wrong way, ie the opposite direction of the wall before changing to the wall jump animation

was wondering if you had encountered anything similar and could tell me where exactly the animation for wallsliding and walljumping is called from and how exactly as ive seen the bools set in the player script but cant determine what triggers them

also on another note ive noticed some strange things with the wallsliding and walljumping animation in general, in that it only seems to progress to a certain point in the animatior before flicking inbetween the two frames, i can only assume this has something to being called from any state and this is causing it to loop back onto itself or something

anyways would appreciate any advice you could give me on these issues and feel free to ask if you want me to clarify them further.

35. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Sorry for the late response. I'm very busy at the moment.

The animations are handled inside the player's animation controller. It's a bit different compared to previous Unity versions, but it works quite well. The controller uses variables to determine which animation should be shown. These variables are set inside the Player scripts.

I haven't encountered that issue with the walls. The variables for the wall sliding are set inside the PlayerWall script. The function player.SetWallAnimation is called to send the variables to the animator. So you should check the Player.cs class for the SetWallAnimation function to see how this works exactly.

The problem you're having with the wall sliding and wall jumping animation is indeed because of the 'any state' thing. I haven't experienced that, because the default animation for those in Acrocatic consist only of 1 frame. You should add a trigger to the transitions inside the controller and call that trigger when someone is supposed to wall slide or wall jump. Just do it like it's done for wall running inside SetWallAnimation.

I hope this helps. Again, sorry for the late response.

36. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

Any news on the next update?
    We are realy needing that features. :)

37. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Hey there! Aiming for late July. Very busy at the moment, but will have some extra time in the coming weeks. :)

38. Plott

Plott

thanks! just saved me a ton of time!

39. Plott

Plott

So this may have been answered by someone else, but does anyone know how I can have the player 'climb' similar to the run script instead of an automatic move?

I need to have the player climb walls with more control. like up and down

40. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

Any news on the next update?

41. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Hello everyone,

I have some bad news to share with you all. I've decided to stop supporting Acrocatic. The main reason behind it is simply because I don't have the time to support the asset. I'm very busy with my job and personal stuff, which is eating away all of my spare time. That's not the only reason though. Besides that, I simply don't really enjoy working on it anymore and it's currently not doing very well sales wise. So that's why I decided to pull the plug. I'm very sorry to everyone who enjoys working with Acrocatic and was looking forward to lots of new features. I hope you understand why I made this decision.

What about version 1.3?
    There will not be a version 1.3. I was busy developing it, but the main features aren't far enough to release. They basically broke some stuff, so I decided to remove that work in progress and release a last version: 1.2.1. It has a few bugfixes reported on here. It should be on the asset store soon (just submitted it).

Wat about the price?
    Because I won't be supporting Acrocatic, the asset will be free from now on (I just submitted the new price and v1.2.1 to Unity, so it might take a few days). I don't think it's justified to ask money for something I'm not supporting anymore. So everyone is now able to just download Acrocatic and try it out. It's a great template to just start working on your own 2D platformer. Besides that, it's also a great way to learn by just studying the code behind all of it. I hope everyone who downloads it will enjoy using it!

Can we create a public open source repository for Acrocatic?
    You sure can! Just use the code from v1.2.1 and start a repository on something like Github. Be sure to give me a link and I'll add it to the description of the asset.

If you have any questions: please let me know. Again, I'm very sorry that it had to come to this. I wish all of you good luck and lots of fun creating your games!

**Edit** I forgot one important thing. I also want to thank everyone for buying Acrocatic, giving their feedback, sharing their games and reporting bugs. I really appreciate all of it! Also loved all the positive reactions to Acrocatic. You're a great community! Thank you! <3

Kind regards,
    Robin

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  42. cfree

cfree

RobinBrouwer, thanks for this amazing asset.

Good luck with your projects!!

RobinBrouwer likes this.
  43. Migs

Migs

Did you get married? Had a kid? :D

Anyhow, I'm sure everybody understands and you're being really fair play allowing us to put your code on github and making the asset free. Hopefully somebody will take over :)

Thx!
    Cheers

RobinBrouwer likes this.
  44. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Haha, didn't get married and no kids. ;) Really busy with work. Just started another company next to my web development company (it's called Funbase if you're interested :)). Besides that I'm working on a Ruby on Rails book for beginners and some other stuff.

It would be great if a small group maintained the asset on Github or something. We'll see. :)

Migs and Too-Nerd-To-Die like this.
  45. TheFirebrandOfPhoenix

TheFirebrandOfPhoenix

Has anyone successfully added holding jump with virtual controls?

I cannot get the "hold to jump" working with touch controls. Below is what I am working with:
    void Update () {
    foreach(Touch touch in Input.touches)
    {
    if(GetComponent<GUITexture>().HitTest(touch.position) && touch.phase != TouchPhase.Ended)
    {
    GetComponent<GUITexture>().texture = button2;

if(playaRef.grounded)
    {
    playaRef.Jump();
    }
    }
    else if(GetComponent<GUITexture>().HitTest(touch.position) && touch.phase == TouchPhase.Ended)
    {
    GetComponent<GUITexture>().texture = button1;
    }
    }
    }

Any recommendations? What method do I call to use "hold-jump" with touches?

46. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Just a heads up! Acrocatic might resume development and support. Please stay tuned for more info! :)

47. Too-Nerd-To-Die

Too-Nerd-To-Die

Welcome back RobinBrouwer!

48. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

I'm speaking with someone who is interested in continuing development and support for the kit. Could you please show your interest by posting a comment in the thread? What drew your attention to Acrocatic? How has it helped you with your goals? What would you like to see developed in the future? Thank you! :)

49. MakeGames2

MakeGames2

This looks pretty cool to me. I'm trying to learn how to make games and this seems like it could help me with that. I am planning to make a similar styled game with pencil drawn characters and wanted to implement a similar type of setup as this so can hopefully adapt it. It seems great that there is all sorts of things already like ice, ladders, climbable walls.

The other thing I am planning to have somehow is the ability to hit a rock and fall on it and bounce my head off it, because that's just the weird thing about my game. It's more like a cartoon I guess. I don't know how I could implement that into this but I guess some day I'll figure it out if nobody adds it =)

I used an asset called Game Framework ( https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/55334 ) which I managed to finish the tutorials on and am hoping I can figure out how to use this along with that.

I haven't used this Acrocatic yet and was just looking over the examples and am excited to figure out how to use it but maybe I will think of something else to add eventually.

Thank you for this!

50. JayJennings

JayJennings

I wish I could make some suggestions, but I haven't started using Acrocatic yet. It's on my "to do list" for later this summer.