Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Acrocatic - Highly customizable 2D platforming character

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinBrouwer, May 7, 2014.

1. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Two game objects inside the Player are used to check if the player is against a wall: sideCheckTop and sideCheckBot. The location of these two objects are determined by box collider's dimensions. They are placed directly next to the box collider, so that the wall collides with the two objects before hitting the box collider. The circle collider is probably bigger than the box collider, causing the circle collider to hit the wall before the sideCheckTop and sideCheckBot objects are colliding. And because the circle collider isn't a trigger, the character just stops and the two sideCheck objects never collide with the wall. So that's why you can't interact with the wall. The wall has to collider with the sideCheck objects. You either have to make the box collider bigger (in width) than the circle collider, or change the sideCheck object's position based on the circle collider.

I hope that helps. :)

2. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

oh also ive been trying to make my own animations for wall jumping/sliding and i noticed the animation wont play if your pressing the button to trigger the mechanic, for example the wall slide animation will only play when your not pressing the arrow towards the wall your jumping towards, im assuming that because your pressing the button it is continuously starting the animation from the first frame, is there any way to prevent this?

3. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

ahh thanks, il look into this and see if i can go about fixing it

4. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

I'm not really sure I undestand the problem. Could you maybe elaborate a bit more? What's exactly happening when you're trying to wall jump? Is the animation not running and only showing the first frame?

5. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

more or less, ive edited the animation to 4 frames but it only ever plays the first frame, see i did this also with the wall slide and it did the same thing until i let go of the key and then it would play the animation, im assuming that because im holding the key down its constantly replaying the first frame or something, would i have to edit the script to fix this or is it something else

6. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

That's weird and shouldn't happen. Have you changed anything in the animation controller? Because I know of this problem when you use 'Any state' to go to another animation. But that should be fixed because Acrocatic uses a trigger for those kind of animations. Could you maybe send the project to support@battlebrothers.io so I can take a look what's wrong?

7. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

I havnt touched the animation controller at all, il send the latest scene right over to you, thanks for the help

8. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

I just sent the latest scene over though not sure how much it will help, i dont think i can send the entire project over via google mail though

9. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

oh also is there any way for the death script to stop the player from moving, as it takes around a second to kill the player and during that time you can move about as normal

10. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

ah one more thing and il stop for the day, im wondering if there is an easy way to have the jumping animation for wall jumping be different to the regular jumps, it seems like it might be quite hard to code but wondered if there was an easier way

For example will i have to make a new condition in the animator and then add it to the script, because i cant see any conditions for jumping as the blend tree for jumpings only condition is "not grounded" if that makes any sense

wall jump.png
    Here is what the transition looks like so far, I noticed a lot of the others had conditions like "startwallrun", is this something im going to have to write into the script

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  11. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

I'm sorry to get back so late, but it seems the mail ended up in my spam folder. :( But only sending the scene isn't really enough. It references all sorts of assets in your project, but those can't be found, because I don't have them. ;)

I guess the easiest way to achieve this is by disabling all the player's scripts for when the player hits the object.

I think it would be better to put it next to the normal jumping animation in the controller and make a transition from the normal jump. You'll have to add another variable to the controller that determines if the player is performing the jump via a wall or not. When this is true, it should transition to the new animation. When it's not, it should transition back to the normal jump. Hope that helps.

12. cfree

cfree

RobinBrowner, your Acrocatic is awesome! Simple and great!
    I am looking forward the 1.2 version:
    - Multiple jumps that change the jump force based on how many jumps you perform in sequence (like the triple jump in Mario).
    - Jump through platforms. Both up and down!
    - Edge interaction. Allows the character to hang on edges, climb them or fall down.
    - Horizontal climbing. Like on a rope, vines and more.
    When it will be released?
    Greetings from Brazil!!

13. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Hi there! Great to hear that you like it. :)

About v1.2. I'm having some difficulties with that. So everyone who's interested in the next update, please read along. :)

I'm very busy with work and personal stuff, which is eating away time I could spend on Acrocatic. It's kind of hard to manage a full-time job with all the game development stuff I'm doing on the side, so it's going way slower than I had hoped. I'm also running into some very annoying bugs I can't seem to squash. Because of that, some of the features I had planned for 1.2 will be pushed back to 1.3. I could put them in 1.2, but then I would delay other important features like jumping through platforms. So I want to push that out asap. The features I'm currently planning for 1.2 are:

- Namespace for all Acrocatic related scripts.
    - Jumping through platforms (both up and down).
    - Platforms can be rotated as well (wasn't possible in 1.1).
    - Platforms can have several scripts attached. For example: moving, sinking and jumping through on the same platform.
    - Ability to stand on top of the ladder.
    - Horizontal ladders. This allows ladders to also be used for larger areas of climbable walls.
    - Add option to not rotate a player on a slope.
    - Add option to disable scripts on death.
    - Fix several bugs that have been reported.

The other features I promised for 1.2 will be pushed to 1.3. I'm sorry that it's less than I promised for v1.2. I'm hoping to release it next week, but it really depends on if I can fix the bugs I'm experiencing. Maybe someone here can help me with one annoying bug.

The bug that I'm having is that when I jump through a platform (both up and down), the player is considered grounded for a moment, because the groundCheck senses that you're passing through the ground. This causes the animation to flicker from jumping to idle, which isn't something I want. I want to stay in the jumping animation. I've tried a lot of different solutions. Some worked, but broke other parts and some just didn't do anything at all. Some solutions I thought of should fix it, but would screw up stuff like sloped jump-through platforms and moving jump-through platforms. So I'm having a bit of hard time trying to find different solutions that should work for all cases. Very annoying. :(

So if anyone has any idea of how I could fix that, that would speed up the release of v1.2 immensely. Once again, I'm sorry for the delay and I hope to release it as soon as possible.

And I want to thank everyone for using Acrocatic and taking the time to give very valuable feedback and feature requests. It means a lot to me! So: thank you! :)

14. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

While I wrote about the bug I'm having, I may have come up with a solution for it haha. Funny how that works. ;)

15. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

And now I can confirm that I fixed the bug. Now onto the next features (and bugs :(). :D

16. nluckett

nluckett

Nice!

17. meapps

meapps

Keep up the great i hope someday you will release a rope feature too.

18. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

I'm almost done and will 'release' v1.2 tomorrow. I won't submit it to the Asset Store just yet, because I want to test it a bit more. So I'm only releasing it to the current Acrocatic users who'd like to try v1.2. You can send me an email (support@battlebrothers.io) with your invoice number and I'll send you v1.2 tomorrow when I'm done, so you can help test it before the official release. When I'm done testing I'll release it to the Asset Store. Hopefully that will be next week. I'll keep everyone updated! :)

19. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

I have a ZIP file ready for testing. I wanted to finish v1.2 today, but didn't have enough time to complete the 'stand on top of ladder' and 'move horizontal on ladder' functionality. I don't have anything planned this weekend, so I'll finish those features in the weekend.

If you want the current version of v1.2, be sure to email support@battlebrothers.io with your invoice number. I'm going to a theme park in a few hours, so I can't send it until I get back. The ones who already emailed me will be getting the ZIP before I go. :)

20. Valente11

Valente11

Hi there!

I just bought this package and have been playing around with it and tweaking settings and it's great! Thank you very much.

I have a question: I noticed that when the player lands from a jump and continues moving in the same direction there is a little stall at the moment he lands. It seems the player is starting his velocity again from 0 when he lands. Is there a way to remove this? What I'm trying to accomplish is for the player to transition seamlessly from jumping to running without losing velocity. I suspect it happens because the air and ground movements are calculated separately. Would accomplishing a smooth transition in this way be difficult? Anyway, any advice would be much appreciated.

21. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

It's because Acrocatic uses a physics based solution. The ground has friction, which causes the player to slow down. When jumping, you don't have this friction, but when you land, the friction causes the player to slow down. Fixing this is possible, but it's kind of hard to achieve the result you're describing. You can set the player's velocity directly instead of adding a force when moving (this makes the player ignore the friction), but this messes up some other functionality in Acrocatic. It's possible to change the friction of the physic material to a lower value, but that also causes the player to 'slide' more when stopping. Getting the right values for all these different variables (friction, force, etc.) is hard, but it should be possible. Just requires a lot of trial and error.

Good luck!

22. Petrol

Petrol

Hi,

I guess I found a bug with the Jumping through platform feature.

I was playing with the demo scene v1.1-Basic and I saw the character being renderer behind the ladder when reaching the upper platform.

Here's a screen capture :
    playerbehindladder7.PNG

It just happens at this exact position, 10cm after or before, the character is rendered correctly

23. Nicrom

Nicrom

From what I can see the Ladder is rendered on top of the Player. Check the Sorting Layer of the Ladder Sprite, it's possible that you changed it. I tested this scene and did not get this bug.

24. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Hmm that's weird, because I'm also not having this issue. I guess you changed either the ladder's sorting layer, or you changed the order of the sorting layers.

25. Petrol

Petrol

My project lost its preferences. I works fine after having replaced the projects setting files

26. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Ok, great. :)

27. Gunhi

Gunhi

looks great. I'm going to press buy button
    Keep going well!

28. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Hey again, i have a few questions about a few things ive been trying to work out and wondered if you guys might have any insight

First off i cant seem to get the moving platforms to "move on hit" which describes itself to move when the player is standing on it, ive tried altering all the variables in the inspector but it never seems to work, am i doing something wrong or is there some variable which hasnt been programmed into the pack

Also i was wondering if anyone had figured out player sounds, i have to some extent, ive been using this script script 1.png

The script does work, ive attached it to the player prefab and it will only play a sound if the player presses space and if the sound isnt already playing, however because the jump sound is so short it will play if the player presses space mid air and also when in the wall jumping state, you get the picture. is there anyway i could change the script so it only plays a sound if the player jumps or wall jumps and wont play a sound if space is pred in air, could it be as easy as replacing "space" with something? I tried replacing "space" to "jump" but it didnt work, and the only way i can think around it would be if it plays the sound only when the player Ism grounded and presses space but i cant think of how to word the script since im not that great at scripting yet

Any ideas would be much apreciated

29. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Do you have the new version? It's not on the asset store just yet, but you can get it via email. Moving on hit should work in that version.

About the sound issue: in the PlayerJump script it handles the jumping when you're on the ground, so you could fire off an event from there to play the sound.

30. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

No i don't have the new version, if you could send it to me at joelashford2@gmail.com it would be much appreciated, im wondering how much it will interfere will all the prefabs and scripts ive set up, what would be the best way of moving in the assets without interfering with the scenes ive made so far.

regarding the sound, should i import that script into the player prefab or attach it to the player, see i dont want to mess anything up, do you know what the script might look like? see im not so good at scripting at the moment as my friend has been working on that aspect.

thanks for the help

31. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Oh also i forgot to mention, been having a strange issue with the sinking platforms which i cant quite understand, if you pass from a ground surface to a sinking platform at the same level it will start sinking, however if you pass from a sinking platform to another sinking platform they wont sink and will only sink if you jump on them. Its quite odd, ive been doing some tests and if you put a ground block in the middle of the two sinking platforms they will both work, it seems the sinking animation only occurs when you pass from ground to platform and wont work from sinking platfrom to sinking platform unless you jump between them, any ideas?

32. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

I'll send the new version to you. I don't know if it'll mess up your scripts. Also depends on if you changed the scripts or something else inside Acrocatic. Be sure to copy your project and try out the new version in that copy, so if it isn't working correctly, you still have a working version. :)

I haven't worked with sound yet, so I can't really help you there. There should be several examples out there how to add sound. You just need to call the sound when the player starts the jump inside the PlayerJump script. The comments should help you there.

The sinking platform bug is something I haven't experienced yet. I added it to the backlog and will look into it for the next update. :)

33. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Hey, just got the asset pack thanks very much, just have a few questions about how i should load it into unity as it looks like its filed differently from the one i downloaded

There are 3 files, assets, project settings and a file stat says Ds store

In the asset file is the another ds store file and the acrocatic folder which i asume you replace the old one with, however im not sure about the project settings folder, where do you copy that to

Should i delete my old acrocatic folder and copy the rest in?

34. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Oh also the email stated that one of them was to disable scripts on death, thats an issue i mentioned earlier as the player character moves around after contact with the death block, how exactly would i go about making it so it disables player movement upon death

35. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

You can delete the DS_Store file. The project settings has the TagManager.asset en InputManager.asset files you need for Acrocatic. So you can copy those to your project settings, unless you changed something inside. Then you have to check the new files and see what's new and copy those things over to your current project. The Assets folder has Acrocatic inside and you should copy that over to your Assets folder (you can first delete the old one). If you changed something in your previous Acrocatic folder, you should make sure you keep those changes and reimplement them when you copied the new folder over. Just make sure you make a back-up of your current project.

In the new Player class there is a new 'moveAfterDeath' variable. You can disable that to make sure the player can't move after death. :)

36. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Well i tried moving it in but now im getting this error, any ideas?
    error.png

37. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Nevermind i sort of figured it out, i can copy almost everything into the new acrocatic folder except for the platform scripts which results in this error

regarding the death script, you said to change a variable in the player class, im assuming its not in the inspector, where abouts can i find the player class

38. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Okay i figured out what caused his, i deleted a duplicate script which got rid of those two errors

However now there are multiple errors which didn't appear before, see pic related
    In fact it caused so many errors im not ever sure where to start, error2.png
    All i really want at the end of the day is for the player to stop moving when touching the death block, which completely stopped working when i loaded in the new acrocatic stuff, as well as being able to move on hit on the moving platforms

Are you completely sure you sent me the right version? because new errors keep appearing every time now, in one instance the player running and jumping didnt work, should i just wait for you to officially release the full version?

thanks

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  39. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

I sent the correct version and I haven't heard of anyone else having errors because of the new version. Did you really delete the Acrocatic folder and then copy the new one in? And are you referencing Acrocatic scripts in your own scripts? And are you using a Player prefab from the previous version? Because that could also be causing problems I guess.

The whole Death thing is inside the Player script and should be inside the inspector. And making the platforms move on hit should work as well. If you can't figure it out, you can maybe send the project to me via email (just reply on the mail I sent you) and I can take a look at it.

By the way, what version of Unity are you using? I always use the newest version of Unity when working on Acrocatic, so maybe that could also be the issue.

40. joubqa

joubqa

Are attacks and enemies planned for 1.3 or for a later update?

41. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Sorry, that's for a later update. Not sure which one just yet.

42. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Hey, i tried making a completely new project and moving all my previous stuff over and it seems to work fine now, not quite sure how but im just gonna roll with it and keep working on the game

i still cant figure out how to get the moving platforms to move on hit though, do you have to have a certain number of waypoints or something? can you send me a scene over of an example if possible so i can see what im doing wrong

also i wanted the player to be able to speed up the longer they are in the wall sliding phase, but ive noticed the player will only increase in speed while wall sliding when you hold the key pad in the direction of the wall, and if you don't then the animation glitches out as well as slowing down rather than speeding up, here are the parameters i have set
    parameters.png

EDIT: ive looked further into the issue and ive noticed that in the original animation there was a player walk sprite at the 1 second mark, now if when you jump onto the wall and hold the arrow key in the direction of the wall the animation will play and ignore the sprite at the 1 second mark, however when you let go of the arrow key the animation will play the whole 1 second, hence why it appeared to bug out

even more interesting is when you remove the sprite at the 1 second mark, as the animation will glitch out when you you hold the arrow key towards thw wall but if you dont it will play just fine

any ideas? ive had a few myself which i might try and il let you know how it goes
    thanks for all your help

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  43. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

The moving platform should have the option to move on hit. You do see the option right? It should work independent of how many waypoints you have.

About your issue with wall sliding. When you stop moving in the direction of the wall, the wall unstick timer will start and when the timer is done, you will fall down. It's a timer that basically lets you determine how much time the player has from moving away from the wall to wall jump. So when you stop moving towards the wall, it's supposed to stop sliding and eventually fall down. It shouldn't bug out or anything, so I'll check that out. I see your Unstick Timer has a different value than the default one. Could you maybe change that back? Because maybe that's causing the issue. Or do you want your character to slide down even when not moving towards the wall? Because if that's so, you'll have to dive into the code and change some stuff. Because that's not behaviour I have created for the wall interaction.

44. kilik128

kilik128

any new here please

45. RobinBrouwer

RobinBrouwer

Hi there. I already replied to some others asking for an update via mail. This is the situation:

I recently started a new web development company with my brother. Game development is something we do on the side in our spare time and so is working on Acrocatic. However, starting the new company has been really hectic. I'm swamped with work and even most of my spare time has to be devoted to the new company. Because of that I have no time for Acrocatic or other game development related activities at the moment. And that sucks, because I love doing that. So further development on Acrocatic is on pause at the moment. I hope to resume work as soon as possible. I expect the workload to be a bit more maintainable in the beginning of next year. So that's when I'll be continuing to improve on Acrocatic.

Of course I'll be answering all questions on the forum and via mail. And if you still need Acrocatic v1.2, please send an email to support@battlebrothers.io.

I'm very sorry and hope all of you can understand my situation. I would love to work on Acrocatic right now, but it's just not possible. :(

I'll keep you updated on any activities and hope you're all still enjoying working with Acrocatic. :)

46. mimminito

mimminito

Thanks for the update! Its always a shame when work gets in the way of "play" hah, but its something that happens to most of us, and I think everyone will appreciate the situation.

I look forward to seeing updates in the new year when things are more manageable for you.

All the best for the new company!

RobinBrouwer likes this.
  47. RzRsEdge

RzRsEdge

Brilliant plugin, well worth the money. I hope you get a chance to return to it in future!

48. Mr Greebone

Mr Greebone

Hello again, got much more used to scripting and using the acrocatic pack so been quiet for a while but wondered if anyone knew anything about the difference in the player hitbox when grounded and while jumping

to explain further, the player hitbox when grounded and colliding with a wall will slightly clip into the platform as seen in this image if you look really closely (for reference, the player is white, the floor is green and the platform is red) test 3.png

I should note there is a wall colider on this platform similar to in the acrocatic scenes, which allow the player to more fluidly slide up and down the wall, however even with this it still clips slightly

The strange thing is that when jumping, or when the player isnt grounded the hitbox does not clip with the platform, as ilustrated with this image
    test 4.png

The only notable script i may need to edit is the player hitbox script but i dont want to mess around with it before getting some advice, for a scale reference the player is 100 pixels by 200 pixels. Does anyone have any ideas how i can fix this issue

49. Nicrom

Nicrom

Just make the Default and Jump Hitbox X Size a little smaller, don't worry this will not break the Acrocatic Asset. By the way, the HitBox script only changes the Box Collider of the Player depending on what state he is. The Circle Collider remains unchanged so you should change the Circle Collider a little to.

50. joubqa

joubqa

When you start working on it again and it's a bit further along have you thought about making a "how to create your own platformer using Acrocatic!" kind of tutorial? That would be pretty cool