Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Ability & Combat Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mozza, Nov 2, 2019.

1. Duffer123

Duffer123

@Mozza ,

I have read in to the documentation now too, mostly, and just wondering still (for purposes of workflow, organisation and UI) can you have different Types or Categories of Ability aside from Active and Passive - independent of them - like say Combat, Spell, Prayer, etc?

[edit] to save Mozza the time here, I confirm he already (really rapidly) answered my question on the Discord forums:-

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  2. Mozza

Mozza

Been working on a new animation system for ABC. You will soon have the option of selecting animation clips to play without using the Animator :D

Will be available with the next update which I am hoping to upload to the store soon

Havok_ZA and vorokoi like this.
  3. SickaGames1

SickaGames1

Emerald AI and Invector Shooter integration?

4. Mozza

Mozza

Hi SickaGamer, there is no official integration done with those 2 assets yet but it's on the roadmap :D I am quite confident however that ABC should be able to run along side most assets as it's quite independent to it self.

I know of one or two people who have ABC working with Invector and Emerald AI. It just hasn't been officially integrated by me yet.

Neviah, Duffer123 and SickaGames1 like this.
  5. Mozza

Mozza

Hope you all having a great week! Version 1.3 is now available on the asset store which includes the following updates:

1) Added functionality to randomise the potential targets which are retrieved when the AI system decides who to use abilities on

2) Bug Fix: Fixed an issue where the camera shake would not revert camera back to the correct position

3) Added the new ABC Animation Runner system which allows you to select animation clips which will play without using Unity's Animator. This means you do not have to set up anything in the Animator to play animations relating to ABC. This will further increase the potential of ABC integrating with other assets.

Mark_01 and TextusGames like this.
  6. Mozza

Mozza

Here is a showcase of a game made using ABC completely controlled by AI. 2 teams of up to 3 mages to battle it out. Also allows the player to choose from 5 different schools of magic all with their own unique fighting styles.

- Fire vs Lightning: 0:00 - 01:54
    - Fire & Ice vs Lightning & Light: 01:54 - 03:47
    - Ice & Dark & Fire vs Lightning & Light & Ice: 03:47 - 06:45

Mark_01 likes this.
  7. Mozza

Mozza

The Unity Spring Sale has arrived and ABC - Ability & Combat Toolkit has been added as a Hidden Gem which Unity explains as "High quality, powerful assets we think deserve a closer look."

Get it now for 50% off :)

In the next few days I will be posting some previews of the extended weapon functionality which will be released in the next version.

Mark_01, vorokoi and TextusGames like this.
  8. indie_dev85

indie_dev85

Hi, Looking forwards to purchase a license of ABC :)
    Any ETA when you will be officially integrating ABC plugin with Invector and Emerald AI.

9. Mozza

Mozza

Awesome news!

No official ETA yet - currently working on extending the weapon functionality. After that functionality is done there will be a poll for people to vote on what I should develop/integrate with next. I will post on here/discord/twitter when the poll is live. :)

10. Mozza

Mozza

Hey All,

Currently working on extending the weapon functionality to easily allow you to equip weapons which have abilities & attacks assigned to them. Here is some clips of a game I put together whilst testing the new functionality.

Hoping to get this done very soon and get this out in the next version. If anyone has any suggestions of weapon equipping ideas they would like to see in ABC then do let me know :D

TextusGames, vorokoi and Duffer123 like this.
  11. enursha13drs

enursha13drs

I'm following your project very closely homie, out of everything I've tried this is the one! When it comes to coding realistically i'm pretty beginner, however, i'd like to see the option to use ranged weapons!

12. Mozza

Mozza

Thanks for the kind words! I actually created some ranged weapon combat with ABC the other day, find the video below :D

13. hessex

hessex

What a fantastic product!

I recently purchased ABC - Ability & Combat Toolkit, and am already impressed by it's versatility. I am new to Unity, and while I am enjoying learning and exploring, I was not looking forward to the level of effort it was going to take to implement an abilities system into my hobby game. This software has taken away that concern, (Animation, Ability Creation, VFX, Audio, Pooling, Event Systems, Persistent Status Effects, Environmental Physics, Etc... the list goes on and on...) I am able to jump right into the fun stuff.

This is exciting news, I was playing around with doing something like this but would rather use an integrated solution. Any ETA?

Thank you for creating and sharing this wonderful toolkit.

14. kidne

kidne

Just purchased this and I keep getting a Failed to import package with error: Couldn't decompress package

Any chance I can email you my receipt ID and you can send me the decompressed files?

15. Mozza

Mozza

Great to hear you are enjoying ABC, makes me so happy to hear :D Keep me updated with your projects it will be great to see how you progress them with ABC!

ETA on the weapon update should be about 3 weeks if all goes to plan, just currently working on the pickup/drop weapon functionality and then just need to do documentation :)

I will post here when the update is near to be released!

16. Mozza

Mozza

Hey Kidne, I think we may have talked on Discord and it was a space available issue on your HD. If not let me know and we will sort it out :D

17. Mozza

Mozza

Hi All!

I have just submitted version 1.4 to the asset store. I will update this thread when this has been accepted and ready to be downloaded. The main feature added in 1.4 is to do with equipping/unequipping weapons and a whole host of other weapon functionality. This version has the following updates:

1) New Weapon Functionality

- Configure for your characters to equip/unequip weapons
    - Link abilities/attacks to weapons to become enabled when the weapon is equipped, linking abilities with weapons (sword attacks can be used when sword equipped etc)
    - Linked groups with weapons so when a group/weapon is enabled/equipped the weapon/group can be equipped/enabled
    - Display in UI which weapon is equipped
    - Weapons can have ammo/reloading which abilities can consume. Once out of ammo abilities will not activate until reloaded or more ammo is picked up
    - Added enable/equip weapon effects applied by abilities
    - Added adjust weapon ammo effects applied by abilities
    - Functionality included to drop/pick up weapons (weapon pick ups can also be imported so if one character drops a weapon another character can pick it up without having it already setup in their ABC settings)
    - Ammo also updates on weapon pickup/drop
    - Weapon swap functionality allows for you to cycle through weapons using mouse scroll/keys
    - Added an Icon Type which when pressed will equip a weapon
    - Added a filter dropdown to the ability list section, allowing you to see and configure abilities which are linked to weapons/groups
    - Updated Demos to use new weapon functionality for reference
    - Updated Save/Load functionality to include new weapon functionality
    - Updated Animation functionality to allow animations to run on weapons if chosen too

2) Added Toggle Gravity effects which can be applied by abilities

3) Added a setting which will allow for abilities to ignore any prepare time adjustments added by effects (if 'slow' effect increase time to activate abilities, if this setting is set it won't affect that ability)

4) Added a setting to set a max amount of times an effect can duplicate on an entity (if set to do damage every x amount of seconds this setting can cap how many times it will be applied)

5) Added functionality which allows for entities to miss the target when activating ability projectiles/raycasts. A miss chance can be set i.e miss the target 20% of the time. The miss chance can also be adjusted by ability effects (blind spell etc). Abilities can also be set to never miss ignoring the miss chance setting.

6) Improved the ability preparing/progress bar so it now more accurately fills letting the player know how long is left to prepare/cast the ability.

7) The ABC_IEntity class is now partial allowing you to override the methods to easier integrate with your projects which won't get overwritten on new updates

8) Added functionality to move the entity to target when preparing or initiating an ability/attack allowing you to make attacks where the character jumps to the target before striking

9) Improved ID's of all weapons/abilities/groups etc to allow for that instance to always have a unique ID, allows for easier setup and integration with effects if the weapon/ability is moved to another character.

10) Bug Fix: Boomerang functionality now correctly returns the ability back to it's starting position

11) Bug Fix: AI now correctly detects which effects are on potential targets when running through conditions to activate abilities

12) Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where on stay collision was not correctly picked up

13) Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where the interrupt current animation tickbox on hit reactions could not be selected

14) Bug Fix: Improved copy of abilities/weapons/groups to ensure no data is not copied over correctly

15) Improved object moving physics from effects (push etc)

16) Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where always travel did not apply to additional starting position abilities

17) Bug Fix: Restrict movement from activating attacks will no longer overlap if another ability has started before the restrict movement ends

18) Bug Fix: Stopped -adjust health from attacks from healing entity if the entities defence was higher then the damage done

19) Improved adjust ability interval so it accurately increases or decreases the interval before another attack can be activated after the current one initiates

20) Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where swapped icon would not be correctly placed when loading from a save

21) Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where images would not load correct when game save is loaded

22) Bug Fix: Graphic log duration will now default to 5 when starting new (was previously 0)

HeadClot88, SickaGames1 and Duffer123 like this.
  18. Mozza

Mozza

I am happy to announce version 1.4 is now ready to download from the store :D

Happy gaming making!

19. Glovers

Glovers

Hello Mozza. Will you be planning an online addon or Integration with another online system (uMMORPG, 3D MMORPG KIT, etc?).

20. Mozza

Mozza

Hey Glovers! It's currently on the Roadmap so hoping to get to this eventually :D

I did speak to someone previously who got quite far with doing this without any integration work done by me. I will try and catch up and see how successful the project was.

Glovers likes this.
  21. Glovers

Glovers

Thanks for your reply.
    I'd love to see this integrated with MMORPG KIT.

Mozza likes this.
  22. Mozza

Mozza

Hi @Glovers

Not sure if you have seen on Discord but there is a poll currently online where people can vote for what features they want to see in the next version of ABC. This will be a great opportunity to vote for integrating with online assets. The poll can be found here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/PC3JT7C

23. FuTou

FuTou

Hi, does it work with 2d platformer projects?
    I tried it with Corgi Engine, but corgi engine units have 2d colliders, so they can't have 3d colliders, so projectiles can't trigger, what do I do?

24. Mozza

Mozza

Hi FuTou - ABC doesn't currently work with 2D platformer projects however this is roadmapped for the future :D

You might be able to add your own 2D colliders to the ability graphic object instead of clicking for ABC to add the collider. This may work in the mean time

25. FuTou

FuTou

Hi, we want some tutoring, and here's what we are trying to do. We are making an auto-combat rogue"lite" game, where player chooses buffs/ chants/ relics only. Player controls no game combat, only decide how to build the team. A team has 5 characters. My teams meets the enemy crowd, fight them. As I win, I get to choose between several relics/chants, which are essentially buffs.
    the game is 2d, so we modified "foward", "collider" sorts of stuff, from ABC, to make it usable in 2d mode. It was successful.
    But there's a design decision to make: should abilities(for the chant/ relics) be placed on each character, where we have hundreds of abilities on each character; or should abilities be placed on another "God" gameObject?

26. FuTou

FuTou

Besides, here are 3 questions that we want suggestions from you. Thanks!
    • we want buff/debuffs shown on a UI panel, like WOW, we want a list of buff icons
    • we want some abilities to be modified by other abilities, like in
    • we want to directly(manally) cast an ability on target, with none projectile judging, and none time delay. the target should be passed by an script.

27. Mozza

Mozza

Hey FuTou,

Really like the game idea, would love to see some videos when you have any to share! Think the concept will be super fun to play.

To answer your question it sounds like you want each character to have the potential to use any ABC ability you have setup for the game. If I have understood correctly you want to setup the chant/relics in one place and have them ready to be used by all your 5 characters so essentially change a setting in one place and have it applied to all.

The best way I recommend doing this is by making a GameObject which just holds the ABC_Controller component where you setup all the chant/relics in the game. Then if you Prefab this GameObject and place the prefab as a child for each character that should do the trick for you and be the design you are looking for. Now everytime you add or change an ability in the prefab it will automatically be ready to use for all your characters.

So the Hierarchy will look somewhat like this:

upload_2020-7-23_19-15-34.png

When designing the abilities this way I recommend you make use of the 'On Self Tag' position as much as possible. This way you don't have to tie starting points directly on a certain object. With 'On Self Tag' ABC will essentially hunt down the tag on all objects within the character finding the object with the tag defined.

The example picture below shows that the Mystic Missile spell will start from the object with the ABCInitiationLeft tag (in this scenario the characters left hand).

upload_2020-7-23_19-18-33.png

Hope that helps :D

28. Mozza

Mozza

Thank you for the suggestions, I have added the buffs/debuffs idea to the Roadmap to be implemented in future. I think you missed of some wording on the second bullet point so have you got any examples of abilities modifying other abilities? Just so I can make sure I have all the details for implementation.

The third suggestion if I have understood correctly is already possible in ABC by unticking the 'Target Travel' tickbox. If this is unticked then the ability will instantly appear at the target, if you don't want any projectile graphic then I recommend setting the graphic to ABC_EmptyGraphic which is in the ABC prefabs. This is similar to the Mystic Fire ability in the Battle Chamber demo.

upload_2020-7-23_19-28-26.png

You can set a target and activate this ability via script by calling the following code:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. ABC_IEntity abcEntity = new ABC_IEntity(this.gameObject); //gameobject activating the ability
    3. abcEntity.SetNewTarget(target); // target to activate ability on
    4. abcEntity.TriggerAbility(10007); // trigger ability by it's ID
    5. abcEntity.TriggerAbility("AbilityName"); //trigger ability by name
    Let me know if you have any further questions, I will be more then happy to help :D

29. Captain-J

Captain-J

Hi Mozza,

Thanks for providing such an amazing toolkit to us.

I tried the AI funtion in a 3d scene and it works, but it dosen't work on 2d characters. How to implement the AI part in a 2d game?

30. Mozza

Mozza

Hi Captain-J, thanks for getting in touch and for your kind compliment :D

Are you talking about the AI navigation or the ABC AI to activate abilities etc? If you let me know which one you are using I will be more then happy to assist further to ensure it's setup and working correctly. Feel free to also email me at dicelockstudio@gmail.com as it will be easier to communicate.

31. ArawnDev

ArawnDev

Hi Mozza, I am using Adventure Creator as a base for my projects, but unfortunately, it lacks an ability and fighting system. Your asset seems to be the perfect match for adding these abilities to Adventure Creator. Is an integration to AC on your road map?

EDIT: I just noticed that there is actually no integration needed as in my case it works out of the box with AC. Nice!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  32. Mozza

Mozza

Hey, thanks for getting in touch! I was about to post that I haven't officially tried it myself but it should work with AC as ABC has been designed to work alongside most assets. However by the looks of your edit you have already tried it out successfully which is great news :D

Hope you have a great rest of the week!

Kind regards,

Mark_01 likes this.
  33. DrewofDonuts

DrewofDonuts

Is there melee shield block functionality?

34. Mozza

Mozza

Hey DrewofDonuts! There is blocking and parrying in the next version update which is only a few weeks away. Unfortunately my graphics card blew up this week so I am waiting for a replacement, once I get that sorted I will post some videos here :D

As well as the above here is some of the other features coming up in v1.5:

- Combo Keys to activate abilities/attacks (think Mortal Kombat type game i.e X > X > Y does a special attack)
    - Emerald AI Integration
    - More Game Creation Actions
    - AI Navigation fully integrated into ABC (was a separate additional script before)
    - Performance updates
    - A new simple Dark Souls like demo to demonstrate the blocking/parrying
    - Plus some more smaller items :)

ArawnDev likes this.
  35. DrewofDonuts

DrewofDonuts

Awesome!

Regarding AI - from a high level, how can abilities created within ABC be implemented into custom AI systems (basically AI not built using ABC)?

36. Mozza

Mozza

ABC comes with an API which allows you to easily call many functions. I can imagine for your AI system you want to be in control of when you activate attacks and abilities. Here is an example of how easy it is to do so in code:

Code (CSharp):
    1.       ABC_IEntity ABC = new ABC_IEntity(this.gameObject);
    2.         ABC.SetNewTarget(target.GameObject); // set target if want to
    3.         ABC.TriggerAbility(1); // trigger ability by ID
    4.         ABC.TriggerAbility("Fireball"); // trigger ability by name
    Hope that helps but let me know if you have any further questions, will be more then happy to answer :D

37. marcarasanz

marcarasanz

Hi, am looking forward to buy your asset. Am not a programmer, just an artist, and I was wondering if it is possible to use this asset in 2d games using universal render pipeline? Do you know if can work well with assets like corgi engine?
    I know they are very abstract questions, but I would like to know your opinion. thank you

38. Mozza

Mozza

Hey :D

Unfortunately currently ABC does not support 2D games (2.5 and 3D only). I do plan on adding 2D support eventually and I do know that some users of ABC have got this working with 2D but they had to do some coding and change some of the colliders from 3D to 2D as of the above I suspect this won't work out the box on Corgi. ABC also fully supports all render pipelines.

I know this isn't probably what you wanted to read, but if you subscribe to this forum I will post whenever new updates come out so you will know when the 2D functionality arrives in future.

Hope this helps and I hope you also have a great weekend. :D

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
    Fed81 likes this.
  39. marcarasanz

marcarasanz

Thanks for your quick response. I will be attentive to future updates of your work. Your asset will probably be a must buy for me sooner or later. Congratulations on your work

Mozza likes this.
  40. Mozza

Mozza

Thanks, really appreciate it! Will probably bump into you at some point in the future then :D looking forward to seeing the projects you make with ABC!

41. Mozza

Mozza

ABC v1.5 is just around the corner with a whole bunch of new functionality! Find a video below of the new demo which showcases the blocking and parrying :D

ArawnDev and Duffer123 like this.
  42. Mozza

Mozza

Version 1.5 has been submitted to the Asset Store! I will post here once it is available to download :D

1.5 includes the following:

1) Added weapon Blocking & Parrying to ABC
    - Weapons can now block attacks, mitigating or reducing damage
    - Parrying can be triggered to prevent an incoming attack. If done at the right time a counter attack can be activated

2) Added Emerald AI Integration

3) Updated Editor Colours For Dark Theme

NewGUI.PNG

4) Added a setting to configure for a specific hit animation to activate when an ability hits another entity
    - If a specific animation doesn't exist then an additional setting can be flagged to play a random animation instead

5) Added an option to only activate preparing animation if entity is moving towards target.
    - Allowing for entities to walk to target during preparation before attacking but if already close no walking animation will activate

6) Combo triggers have been added to ABC, configure for an ability to only activate after a series of inputs have been entered by the player
    - Example A + A + B will trigger a special attack

7) Added an effect setting which when ticked will only add and activate the effect if the effect was applied from an ability splash

8) Added a new AI Rule to equip a weapon

9) Added a new AI Rule to weapon block

10) Added a new setting to modify game speed on initiation and on collision

11) Updated target selection so it is more accurate in busy scenes

12) Added layer masking setting to target select

13) Added new GC actions
    - Enable/Disable Weapon
    - Enable/Disable Ability

14) Refactor of ABC_IEntity to easily allow for methods and properties to be overriden
    - Can override with your own functions and integrations, further releases will then not overwrite

15) Cleaned up warnings that appear on first download

16) ABC Can now become a child prefab
    - Allows for Abilities/Weapons in ABC to be a child prefab, this prefab can be added to as many objects as you want.
    - Doing so you can create a central ability system which allows for changes to the prefab to be applied to many objects.

17) Improved performance for better FPS across the system

18) Improved Camera Shaking for a more smooth and satisfying shake

19) Added AI Navigation to the core system
    - Entities can now wander and run to target.
    - Once target is reached they can be setup to rotate around or move back and fourth giving more life to the AI

20) Health/Mana now shows when soft target is applied

21) ABC Pool will now persist across scenes

22) When an entity has no health they will now be untargettable

23) When an entity has no health they will no longer be able to activate abilities or navigate using AI functionality

24) Improved effect on hit position so it now accurately plays the effect in the correct position in relation to the entities bones

25) Added a setting to stop movement and ability activation when switching weapons

26) Added a setting which will attach the ability to the entity on hit until the abilities duration is up
    - Allows for sticky bomb abilities
    - Allows for arrows to stay attached to the entity when hit

27) Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where game would not build correctly

28) Bug Fix: Effect graphic default duration will now be 2 instead of 0

29) Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where values would reset on ABC Game Creator Actions

30) Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where re-enabling an entity would not correctly setup weapons

31) Bug Fix: Enable/Disable integration buttons will now correctly show if the integration is enabled or disabled

32) Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where group filtering would show abilities attached to the group when they were not assigned

33) Bug Fix: Bullet time no longer reduces FPS

34) Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where gravity and travel delay would not reset when the abillity is next activated

35) Bug Fix: Fixed a bug where game would projectile would not correctly ignore entity collision

36) Bug Fix: Changing object name in the editor will now correct update the name in the reference variable (stopping any saving/loading bugs)

marcarasanz likes this.
  43. Mozza

Mozza

44. oliver_unity892

oliver_unity892

Hi
    Another 2d request. I'm creating a game in Topdown Engine by More Mountains. Similar to the corgi engine.

Is it just colliders that need changing more or less for 2d?

I'm really just after the stat side and a few other bits. 2d RPG engines are impossible to find so I'm having to mash it all up.

Olly

45. Mozza

Mozza

Hi Olly, I haven't done much experimenting yet with adding in 2D to ABC but it is on the roadmap to add in the future. You are right that in theory the only things required for 2D functionality would be adding 2D Colliders to the ability and potentially change how they travel in 2D games physic wise.

I hope that helps but let me know if you have any further questions. :D

46. Kaen_SG

Kaen_SG

hi, interested in picking this up for the Emerald AI integration. Been looking for documentation or videos regarding this integration but have not been able to find any. Do advise.

47. Mozza

Mozza

Hey Gabriel, there is no documentation for emerald integration at the moment as I am currently rewriting all the documentation.

To turn on the integration you have to make sure this is selected:

upload_2020-11-24_9-17-11.png

Once enabled you can then link for ABC to use health/mana from Emerald instead of it's own system. So if ABC was to do damage or heal it would change the emerald health instead of ABC one. You can link them by selecting this drop down:

upload_2020-11-24_9-19-13.png

There is also ability effects which will apply damage using Emerald functionality (so you will use emerald hit effects etc)

Hope that helps but let me know if you have any further questions regarding the integration and I will be more then happy to answer them :D

Mark_01 and Kaen_SG like this.
  48. ChronoSynth

ChronoSynth

How can I use ABC with the new Input System? I'm using it to work on a game that I hope to get on consoles in the future.

49. ChronoSynth

ChronoSynth

P.S: Is it possible to set up abilities that launch special melee attacks like in fighting games?

50. ChronoSynth

ChronoSynth

P.S.S: Is it also possible to create an ability that launches a beam-type attack like a Kamehameha?
    P.S.S.S: How do I create and implement custom effects?