Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] 3D Scifi Kit Vol 4 official topic!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Creepy-Cat, May 23, 2022.

?

What do you prefer in a modular kit?

1. - Spaceships / Vehicles?

52.3%
  2. - Build stuff, i want more parts allowing me!

58.5%
  3. - I want more elements already built, I don't like to work...

9.2%
  4. - I want more scenes!

4.6%
  5. - I want props that allow me to create an exploration/craft game!

24.6%
  6. - I want props that allow me to create an action/simulation game!

16.9%
  7. - I want props that allow me to create a battle isle war game!

1.5%
  8. - I want props that allow me to create all types of games!

15.4%
  9. - I want props that allow me to create a subnautica style game!

7.7%
  10. - I want props that allow me to create a starcitizen/elite game!

30.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. StarChick971

StarChick971

Absolutely nothing, I knew there is no optimization at all so I gave a try in order to get how playable it can be as it is. :)
    Of course, it is definitely not smooth to make a game with this but still playable at low FPS to move around. It gets laggy when looking at many meshes in the camera frustum view indeed.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  2. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

In this case, i think that possible to get some good FPS with texture reduction (diffuse map can be 2048), lightmapping and a correct occlusion culling :)

Last edited: May 8, 2023
    hopeful and StarChick971 like this.
  3. StarChick971

StarChick971

Indeed, I reduced the 8k textures down to 2k applying -75% reduction for main, rocks, and other non psd files (can't edit psd )
    Using Mesh Combine Studio 2 asset, I let the tool simply combine all static meshes to increase performance, it could be playable now but not smooth enough for me (around 17-20FPS without lighting or culling optim) but I can move freely in the bigger hangar bay as shown below :D

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Creepy-Cat likes this.
  4. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

It's a really good news! :)

5. hopeful

hopeful

IDK if I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't a person normally change the functional resolution of all textures with a few clicks in the Unity editor?

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  6. StarChick971

StarChick971

You are right, but the files are still heavy to manage in 8k. I lowered them manually to work more efficiently with the editor as it uses less memory that way. Also Quest2 won't be able to support a so high definition so there is no need to keep that quality level for this specific use in the platform is not high-end.
    If needed I just have to reimport the asset to bring back the 8k texture
    It is like working with Unity's SNAPS assets (or any low poly that can be easily replaced or substituted), you build quickly your scenes then you swap with the high-def content once done.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  7. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

In vol. 4 will I find some sort of capital ship bridge (Star Trek) ?

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  8. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

When i'll make some spaceship it's sure i'll make one :) For the moment i don't plan something about it
    because i prefer to not make the vol3 errors i made (running everywhere without plan). But yes!
    it's very possible to make one! All depending the spaceship size :)

For the ships I will also do things gradually (concerning the sizes), because making ships the size of the
    StarTrek one takes a lot of time...

PS: If you have the vol3 there is something that can help you (the prometheus interior)

9. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

I have versione 3. Can I use version 3 and version 4 in a project, or they collide ?
    PS: I have version 1.13 do I have to download 1.15 ?

Last edited: May 9, 2023
    Creepy-Cat likes this.
  10. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

In term of pure building, yes they can collide (units are different), but it is always possible to get some props! (and resize them a bit to fit), the texture stylish is a bit more simple with the 3 but i tryed to make them with a relative similar look.

upload_2023-5-10_8-15-27.png

Here is a screen of the "ship bridge" i talked: you can use this part if you need to make a cut scene.

upload_2023-5-10_8-3-25.png

But if you want join the vol 4 interior kit => To the ship bridge (it's a bit more complicated because you need to fill by differents methods) but it is still possible to fill the hole using elements that you resize. But once the door of volume 4 is integrated you can use the interior kit of 4 and continue inside the ship (it will only work for THIS ship)

upload_2023-5-10_8-9-20.png

I don't know if i'm clear?

PS: It's always good to get the latest version....

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    frankadimcosta likes this.
  11. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

If you want edit PSD, if my memory is good, this software can do it : https://www.gimp.org/downloads/

ABBXKRN5WW6HB6L5VA2KW77AF4.jpg

12. StarChick971

StarChick971

Oh yeah thank you! I didn't remember GIMP could open PSD files too. It works fine.
    So the computer screen images can be edited now using same font "conthrax-sb" :p

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  13. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

StarChick971 likes this.
  14. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Last edited: May 10, 2023
    sirleto and StarChick971 like this.
  15. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

TNX A LOT fot support ! You are SUPER !

hopeful and Creepy-Cat like this.
  16. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

17. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

LOL I'm an idiot... I can't find "the prometheus interior"

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  18. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Inside the directory :

In the search case : search "Infinity"

frankadimcosta likes this.
  19. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

The station interior is almost finish.

I need to create some technical props and i think to release it soon!

You can create now some store into the stations :) I reworked a bit the KitManager to
    include a stop motion effect (slow motion) cool with explosions :)

Nouveau projet.gif

Nouveau projet.gif

20. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hello everyone!

Don't worry, at the moment I'm not giving any news on the kit because I've had a somewhat exceptional situation... Indeed, sales on the Unity store have been falling for months (due to different factors) and it is difficult for me to stay the course financially.

So I had to urgently open a store on the Unreal Store (And I start converting urgently, a lot of my assets), so that the sales could compensate for the losses I made on Unity, that's why you haven't had any news for a while.

But the release is ready :) I will release it as soon as my situation stabilizes! Don't panic I'm still alive :) But there I had to react quickly...

Stay connected :)

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
    sirleto, StarChick971 and Dexi like this.
  21. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

I've said this to you a lot over the years and I'll say it again, you should start setting an update cutoff and then move on to a new release. As much as I love your updates, I'd happily pay for them as new packs just to keep you going. You have no idea how many of your packs I've bought that I know I won't use, just as a way to pay you more for all your free updates haha. I have so many showroom packs and no showrooms in my game, just because I love supporting asset providers that support me.

I've suggested your packs to so many of my friends and they'll purchase them and all echo the same statement after buying them: "How is this person able to provide so much for so cheap?" My answer is always, "I'm not sure." I don't speak for everyone here, obviously, but I'd easily pay 100-200 USD for your packs. For example, with the publisher Protofactor, as soon as I see their initial price offering, I'm happy to spend150+ USD on their packs because I know they'll continuously update the packs for months.

Just thought I'd share my 2 cents. Keep up the amazing work.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  22. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Messages like yours are always appreciated! :) Defining a price is always very complicated! Let me explain:

- In the case of my showrooms, it's complicated, because people often don't understand the relationship between the number of pieces I provide in the kit => And the price...

I tried a long time ago to set a price of $30 for small showrooms and people didn't understand the relationship between the price and the number of meshes. If you knew the number of emails I received on the subject:

"Hey! I don't understand why I would pay 30$ for a kit that contains 17 meshes? When such publishers make a pack with 150 meshes for $50?"

I tried many times to explain to them that the kit was a modular set, which allows them to create many constructions with a reduced number of parts... But 80% of people have the feeling of having been stolen.

I've been a publisher since 2013, and over time I've tried all kinds of prices $5 => $50 for showrooms, and when the products are too cheap, like for example $5 for a showroom => People don't trust! They say to themselves:

"If it's so cheap => It must be crap..."

And on the other hand, if you do the $50 showroom, people say to themselves:

"What!? $50 for 15 pieces of 3D kit? This publisher is a thief..."

It's very complicated to define a price for online sales... Over time I learned to act on the volume => And not by unit.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2023
    AaronVictoria likes this.
  23. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

I understand this completely as I've had this conversation with quite a few artist that I know, that publish on the store. I think my history in the software development industry has educated me on the cost of professional-grade art, so I know how much it would cost exclusively. I've never been one to discount the value of something due to lack of exclusivity either, as many of my friends and associates do. I just love to see publishers get a fair wage for their work, regardless of exclusivity.

So yea, I completely understand why this is such a complicated thing for marketplace publishers. I just hope the market starts to realize the value of its work, collectively. Then, maybe we could see the price of things rise and more publishers earn enough to comfortably thrive.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  24. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

On the publisher forum, there is currently a lively debate on the subject :) Because like me, many publishers are currently having difficulties with their sales since few months...

This does not only impact me!

Publishers blame Unity for having too many sales, and they think the result is people waiting for sales and not buying products while waiting for discounts. Maybe that has an impact? ! But personally, I think it doesn't matter much.

I prefer to have my small community of customers who, like you, make an effort to support my work (I would like to thank you all for that...)

The conclusion is that the current state of the world is not obvious. There are many parameters that are responsible for this... Economic/Political etc... As you may know I live in France and the economic situation in my country is really a disaster... Prices have exploded in all the domains ! Food / Care / Electricity / Taxes, it gets really complicated.

and there is also an important parameter, the stupid politicians who lead us have found nothing better than to want to make Russia bend in a conflict that does not concern us. And as a result, they deprive publishers of a source of revenue with Russia.

StarChick971 and AaronVictoria like this.
  25. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Yea I believe all these many things play a huge factor in it all. I do know that many of my friends will wait for a sale that they know is coming; I've had friends wait 3-4 months for a sale while avoiding purchases. I can also confirm that quite a few of my friends that would normally spend reasonably on the store have told me that they've been a bit withdrawn due to the economic state of the world. Most of them are unsure about how their finances will be in the near-future.

I do feel, however, like prices drive the market. When gasoline jumped from 2 USD per gallon to 7 USD per gallon here where I stay, we had no choice but to buy it. We could look around and find some for 5-6 USD per gallon, but ultimately the market governed the cost. Not suggestion everyone on the store should start to do outrageous spikes in prices, but I'd understand people collectively raising prices to kind of a set a "market baseline".

I've just seen so many providers whose content I love, leave the store saying that it just wasn't feasible anymore. I definitely want to keep you all around as long as we can have you.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  26. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Don't worry, I won't neglect the Unity store... I'd be crazy to do that :) It's just that I have to act, precisely to stay in the store as long as possible!

The problem is that if it were possible to bring people together around an idea to solve a problem, there would be no problem in this world! :) But it's impossible, let me explain...

I was also a small publisher when I started, and it's true that when you start this activity, you lower your prices to attract customers... Because it's important to have reviews! What allows more sales...

A product without review => Is a product which does not inspire confidence. Although the product is good! This is why every publisher must find tips for selling...

AaronVictoria likes this.
  27. basilwort5

basilwort5

Basic question on optimization -- is there a difference between dragging a prefab onto the scene many times vs dragging it one time and duplicating it? I usually drag one item (like a wall section) and duplicate it in the scene (like to make 8 sections), adjust them, then select all to move them all at once. I don't think this would make a difference, but heck I don't know much.
    Also glad to see you expanding to Unreal !

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  28. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

If my memory is good, they are gpu instance (if referenced to one meshe for parent), if anybody can confirm?! And if they are instance, it's quick to draw :)

29. hopeful

hopeful

If I'm understanding correctly, your answer is more advanced than what he is asking. GPU instancing, if activated in the shader, is potentially faster than rendering individuals with separate draw calls, however batching is basically the same thing, except it's automatic, and you can only do one or the other (instancing or batching). If he's new, and it sounds like he is, it's probably best to stick with the editor's static and dynamic batching for now, and only implement GPU instancing later if it seems like the thing to do.

No difference in what you are doing, as they are ultimately from the same prefab, and should all inherit changes to that prefab if you make them. (And that's something you can test.) It's a little different if you break the prefab connection, but it doesn't sound like you are doing that (which is a choice to do so, an option in a context window when you select an instantiated prefab in the hierarchy and right click).

Performance optimization can be complicated and tricky, but clicking the boxes for static batching and dynamic batching is easy, and everybody starting out should make themselves aware of these options and how they affect performance. The check boxes are in Project Settings > Player > Other Settings > Rendering. IIRC, In the old, old days - almost a decade ago - developers using a free Unity editor (free personal instead of paid-for pro) didn't have access to static batching, and that came somewhere in Unity 5, when free users finally got access to a lot of features formerly restricted to paid users, like linear color space and so on. Independent control over GPU instancing came a little later, made accessible for those who wanted specific control over batching.

If I have anything above wrong, somebody please correct me. I just woke up and I haven't had coffee yet. I might be in a different reality. :)

basilwort5 and Creepy-Cat like this.
  30. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hi :) No i talked about the standard unity 3d display in the scene :

1 FBX In the project => Unity create a ghost/meta file with the object ID => If you drop 6 times the FBX in the scene, for Unity, it's a 3D instance ! Because it is relative to the same object ID. It is the same for prefabs : If the prefab is dropped 6 times Unity detect that a instance of the FBX ID.

All of this was explained a looonnngggg time ago! :) When Unity was 2.0 if my memory is good.

31. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey Guys

The cat is still alive :)

As I said in a previous message, Unity sales had been declining since several months, I had no choice to open a new store on the Unreal Engine to compensate the losses.

Which was done during the summer holidays, it took a lot of work, but it's good! given that my main activity is to be a publisher, I had to react quickly to avoid being in difficulty...

But nice surprise! I have just uploaded a new version of the Kit to please you for the start of the school year! :)

I revised quite a few systems such as the shooting and explosion system, I also added new FX for Fire and a new map to show you how to create interiors for the space station!

I hope you like this update :) I still have to work on converting my products to Unreal (Lumen is a pure piece of code... I need to admit that Unreal 5.x is very cool, can't wait to convert my scifi 4 on this engine :) )

I hope you are well, and that your health is good (that's the most important thing)

If you want to take a look: Content by Creepy+Cat - UE Marketplace (unrealengine.com)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2023
  32. kdgalla

kdgalla

Creepy-Cat, since you have a poll asking what people want, I thought I'd chime-in with my idea. I've always wanted something like one of your Sci-Fi kits except all the pieces are rusted-out, dirty and damaged.

That way someone could build a scifi post-apocalyptic scavenger environment (like Jakuu from Star Wars) or a big, creepy derelict that's drifting through space (like Event Horizon or the "space jockey" scene from Alien).

Though, I imagine that making some really atmospheric wreckage would involve a lot more complexity then the shiny, new pieces that you usually make.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  33. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

You have to understand that a science fiction kit is a terribly long and hard thing to make, especially in the case of damaged parts! When I make a kit I try to do a little bit of everything, to allow the people to build something quickly. This is why there is always something missing!:)

For the dirty side of textures, I have always explained that you can use the present textures, which are ID maps, which you can use and modify according to your desires, in substance painter or designer style software that use ID maps. Example Quixel Suite/Substance Painter/Zbrush etc

Example:

At 4 min:

You also have to understand that for a price around $30/40 it is impossible to provide the complete contents of a game like starfield! Which includes normal pieces and the damaged version of the pieces...

But this kit is not yet finished, it is only the beginnings :) I plan to add some broken pieces and i'm thinking to a system to add dirt also. But i have so many things left to do on this kit, that for the moment, the damaged versions of the parts are secondary for me now.

I have to do the space ships now, and secretly I must admit that I was impatiently waiting for the release of the Starfield game!

I was not disappointed! Because this one gave me lots of new ideas regarding the design of future ships. In fact, I had been looking for a long time to create a modular system, which would allow people to build their own ships. It’s done with Starfield!

I'm going to take inspiration from the way how Starfield builds some spaceships and I'm going to try to make a system identical in design.

StarChick971 likes this.
  34. hopeful

hopeful

StarChick971 and Creepy-Cat like this.
  35. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Yes you right! :) It's just that i add the possibility to a product team to arrange a bit the kit for they needs. Thanks for the link!

Note: Did you try it on the kit? (The shader)

36. hopeful

hopeful

I haven't tried it, but it follows the general rules of such art. You create wear at the edges and you add smudges. That's all most artists do.

Obviously it would not give the right kind of effect for everything, as different substances break apart in different ways, but it should be appropriate for metal surfaces at least.

You can also do dirt by a method like AO. You just turn up the AO a bit, and make the faked shadow color something more like a brown or whatever to make it look like dirt has accumulated in corners and cracks.

Decals are best for adding stains, as you want them used in a unique, non-repeating way.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  37. hopeful

hopeful

If you have a specific set of things to check, you might ask the developer of that shader for an evaluation copy to see if it's something you could recommend to users of your assets.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  38. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

It's a very good idea! I'll contact him! :)

39. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey guys! :)

Just a few words to tell you that I haven't forgotten you! I just had a very difficult end of the year on many points, finances, health etc... the emergency opening of the unreal store allowed me to get through the end of the year, but I still have many work to do to keep my boat out of water...

But I also have to take care of my health... In short, all of this is not easy, and what's more, my country is going through an unprecedented crisis.

The end of this year also allowed me to play a little on Starfield, and I admit that I found some very good ideas for the kit there!

Like for example adding in a future update, a modular weapon with modules (canon, scope etc), which will allow the dev teams to have at least one thing to be able to shoot things :) I also learned a lot about starfield ship design! I think I'll integrate a lot of their ideas :)

Anyway, I just wanted to give you some news! I wish you all a very happy new year 2024, unless the madness which has taken control of this world does not stop...

upload_2024-1-31_11-24-29.png

upload_2024-1-31_11-55-53.png

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
  40. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey! :)

When i talked about modular weapons, i think to something like this : (WIP)

- Many canons/visor/scope/light torch etc possibility's
    - The blue square will be a mini screen, if you want to texture it with a dynamic texture to display ammo etc...

upload_2024-1-31_23-6-57.png

Last edited: Jan 31, 2024
    dmenefee and StarChick971 like this.
  41. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

WIP Screen :) Decals testing, sounds good...

upload_2024-2-2_10-3-1.png

(Edit)
    upload_2024-2-2_11-11-13.png

Nouveau projet.gif

Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    dmenefee and StarChick971 like this.
  42. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Decals make all! :)

2024-02-02_222042.jpg

2024-02-02_222140.jpg

sirleto, dmenefee and hopeful like this.
  43. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Work in progress, sniper rifle scope done! :)

upload_2024-2-4_23-49-33.png

upload_2024-2-4_23-49-42.png

upload_2024-2-4_23-50-6.png

upload_2024-2-4_23-55-56.png

FPS VIEW FAKE:
    upload_2024-2-4_23-59-48.png

Last edited: Feb 4, 2024
    sirleto, dmenefee and StarChick971 like this.
  44. StarChick971

StarChick971

Looks really cool for a FPS addition ! :D
    If you consider doing a sniper rifle, you might have to add bipod too for stabilisation hehe :cool:
    I guess the scope material (both front and rear) can be changed because I would expect a "hyper vision" screen like if we could see IR/thermal/XRAY/whatever signature for instance instead of "data entry" otherwise I don't see what that make this a sniper scope haha.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  45. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Haha :) It's a screen that you can change material! About bipod? Hmm! Good idea :)

StarChick971 likes this.
  46. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hi :)

About the spaceship system, since playing with Starfield, I have learned a lot about their ship construction system... It will finally allow me to make modular ships! Without being dependent on the exterior carcass!

I will draw inspiration from these references:

2024-02-05_200308.jpg

ship-components-categories-1024x576.jpg

I started to model a few parts (just to see if I'm not too stupid in my analysis of their system :) But a priori I identified the values of the dimensions that they use, and I enlarged them a little because I finds that in Starfield the circulation in the ships is a pain...

Half corridor view, with PNJ:

upload_2024-2-6_8-59-30.png

This will allow for larger windows for interior views. And no more creating endless corridors! This time I will create modules.

upload_2024-2-6_8-55-22.png

The most difficult part? The rear bay hangar.... And the cockpit (not done yet) But for the rest, my grid system work!

upload_2024-2-6_8-55-49.png

sirleto, dmenefee and hopeful like this.
  47. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Release 1.8 is in the approval pipe! With the new gun rifle :) I hope you like it!

StarChick971 likes this.
  48. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey :)

I'm thinking again about the spaceship kit modularity! :) After few days of reflection i started another approach, mode with a more Starfield stylish. I begin to be happy with the result. I keep the old violet modules hangar, but the new design will help me to make the others part.

The zones (1) ares the extremity module used to connect the modules between them.

upload_2024-2-26_17-2-26.png

Front view + Engine start (WIP) :
    upload_2024-2-26_20-32-58.png

External module (Grey) + Interior module (Violet) : Big window view!
    upload_2024-2-26_17-3-52.png

upload_2024-2-26_18-46-34.png

Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    sirleto likes this.
  49. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey:)

Here is a video (more clear), to understand the new spaceships modularity;

The big problem in the scifi 3 if that the big ships exteriors was fixed. With the scifi 4 i wanted something more modular! To allow you to make your own ship... I think that in the good way, because i found a compromise between the ease to use VS number of pieces to compose a spaceship for different type of game (FPS / Third Person View).

Into starfield i find the navigation into the spaceship a bit claustrophobic, i want more "large visual space" a mix between Startrek / Starfield. At this time i'm into the greybox phase test, nothing textured...

hopeful likes this.
  50. sirleto

sirleto

Love it!

there is barely anything scifi interior or exterior available on the stores.
    that what exists is only interior or only exterior.
    then exterior most of the time is for RTS and cameras far away from content (super low res textures).

now you could actually be the only one filling all gaps with an interior + exterior + modular + modern decal based highres kit.

good luck!

and how is your health, you sounded quite bad end of last year!

greetings from switzerland :)

Creepy-Cat likes this.