Search Unity

[RELEASED] 3D Scifi Kit Vol 4 official topic!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Creepy-Cat, May 23, 2022.

?

What do you prefer in a modular kit?

1. - Spaceships / Vehicles?

52.4%
  2. - Build stuff, i want more parts allowing me!

58.7%
  3. - I want more elements already built, I don't like to work...

9.5%
  4. - I want more scenes!

4.8%
  5. - I want props that allow me to create an exploration/craft game!

25.4%
  6. - I want props that allow me to create an action/simulation game!

17.5%
  7. - I want props that allow me to create a battle isle war game!

1.6%
  8. - I want props that allow me to create all types of games!

15.9%
  9. - I want props that allow me to create a subnautica style game!

7.9%
  10. - I want props that allow me to create a starcitizen/elite game!

31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Yeah! :)

Just few words to say a good news; I got my motorcycle driver licence! :)

Music to celebrate this:

And of course, some news about the next update:

I'm working of the different modular pieces that will compose the spaceport. The first problem is the connectivity of the elements between them. Bigger the rooms are, the less modularity there is.

As always, I will end up finding a compromise, but in the meantime I am working on the creation of non-habitable rooms which make up a good part of the structure.

upload_2023-1-31_10-54-18.png

I realize that I was right to make this new pattern texture in normal map.
    This saves me a lot of subdivision work. I still keep to myself a time to think carefully about
    the hangar system and connections with the current interior kit.

upload_2023-1-31_10-57-2.png

upload_2023-1-31_10-55-17.png

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  2. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

3. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Work In progress on the first livable module! :) The dock bay will be stuffed with a elevator...

upload_2023-2-2_18-40-27.png

upload_2023-2-2_18-40-57.png

upload_2023-2-2_18-40-12.png

StarChick971 and dmenefee like this.
  4. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

WIP Rendering :)

upload_2023-2-2_21-7-4.png

StarChick971, Gervais60 and dmenefee like this.
  5. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

What is better than a video? Fit the grid on those kind of env, is a headache (verticaly/horiz) ...
    It's a W.I.P but it give an idea of this new kit level!

6. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

A new link module :)

upload_2023-2-3_12-52-25.png

upload_2023-2-3_12-57-46.png

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    decrescYono, Dexi, Paspartout and 5 others like this.
  7. jcomouth_de

jcomouth_de

Hello creepy,
    How to use your custom shaders inside URP?
    upload_2023-2-28_9-17-7.png
    Greetings, Jerome

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  8. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hi, this picture seeem about the Scifi Volume 3 ? In this case i do not have any solution, except one :

Replace this shader by a transparent/shine urp shader (with a cubemap reflection by exemple).
    There is no possibility to convert shaders that are not standard shader to URP.

You need to find another shader compatible with your new rendering engine.

Regards

9. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey :)

The first livable module is finish, i begin the second one (WIP Greybox).
    The first module interior is finish too. The second module allow you to
    dock some others big futur spaceships!

upload_2023-3-8_18-8-39.png

upload_2023-3-8_18-8-53.png

upload_2023-3-8_18-9-2.png

10. hopeful

hopeful

IMO, your artistic vision keeps developing, along with your skills. Great to see! :)

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  11. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

I try my friend, i try :)

hopeful likes this.
  12. basilwort5

basilwort5

I love this asset. My FPS is low, I've seen some previous optimization suggestions and I'm adding them. I would also like to use Occlusion Culling, but I cannot make it work with prefabs. Example screen shot with 'P_Roof_Pattern_01_LP' (left), 'P_Roof_Pattern_01' (center), a simple cube (right), and a ground plane. Visualization shows it works for the cube, you can see a blank area behind it, and the ground. But for the roof patterns, nothing is occluded:

upload_2023-3-19_17-6-55.png

I set both prefabs to 'Static' (check box) and clicked button "Yes, change children". In Occlusion > Bake,
    • Smallest Occluder: 0.2
    • Smallest Hole: 0.25
    • Backface Threshold: 5 (100 also has no effect)

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  13. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hi

The eternal "optimization" question :) A mesh is a data, it do not have is own life to perturbate a culling engine. In your case the difference is:

- Two meshes are single face, but the cube is a full mesh.

It should be interesting to make the test with 2 unity quad (single face) and the cube. I'm sure you will get the same result. The case where the culling can be disturbed with the kit pieces is:

The wall windows with transparent surfaces, and the wall doors (because if the doors movable parts are static, the doors won't open) in those cases the culling engine need to display the parts of the kit behind the windows and the doors.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    hopeful likes this.
  14. basilwort5

basilwort5

Thank you -- I was changing things for almost an hour with no results, so decided to ask. This is the one piece of information I did not know, and helps explain a lot. Maybe the frustrum culling will be enough, or some of the earlier optimization tips will get FPS higher. As I have heard, "optimization is an art"!

hopeful and Creepy-Cat like this.
  15. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Absolutly... There is one rule in video game : Only draw what you need, when you need...

In the case of the 3DS Scifi Kit 4, i use bunch of pointlight! You can get more FPS via some tips like:

- Reduce the pointlight number (or compute lightmapping => Window => Lightning)
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Lightmappers.html

- Reduce the textures size! 8K by default... You can get more FPS by reducting Diffuse/AO/Metal maps size

- Make some small level part => And optimize the interior props display Off/On (via script with OnTriggerEnter / OnTriggerExit zones)
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Collider.OnTriggerEnter.html

I provide the kit with the best rendering possible, because many people reproach me for not putting the lights / particles in the parts of the kit. That's why I prefer to let users optimize the kit for their needs.

Who can do more, can do less

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
    basilwort5, hopeful and dmenefee like this.
  16. hopeful

hopeful

Yes, definitely reduce the texture size wherever appropriate. That can be extremely helpful. If a person can do that as a form of LOD, I understand it is more effective to be dropping the texture size than it is to be decimating to reduce the polys. (Although of course you don't ever want to be in a situation where you are trying to render polys that are at such distance they are smaller than a pixel. Just say no to subpixel polys!)

basilwort5 and Creepy-Cat like this.
  17. bluebrain

bluebrain

Hi there.

I'm trying to edit the prefabs, as the lights are very bright. I am getting error messages about missing scripts. When checking any of the flagged objects, the problem script isn't shown.

I'm using URP in 2022.2.7f1

If the script can't be solved, can you recommend a quick way to remove from all, without having to do so many times manually?

Thanks!

upload_2023-3-29_21-23-22.png

upload_2023-3-29_21-22-45.png

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  18. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hi :)

It's because the package has NOT been made with URP / HDRP, the package is made with the
    Unity Standard Shader Rendering. If you want to use the package with another rendering
    engine like URP/HDRP you need to convert it first!

All standard shader packages need to be converter first because URP/HDRP use a different
    rendering method, take a look here (Check the guy youtube channel, really usefull) :

About the missing script: It happen sometime when you load a package (i don't know why...
    We have this bug since the first Unity version) but for information the missing script in your case is :

upload_2023-3-30_8-9-28.png

Just assign the missing script and resave the prefab! Just to be sure that ok, create a new Standard Shader Project, import the package, and you will see that rendering is ok :)
    Maybe in your case it will fix also the missing script problem.

upload_2023-3-30_8-21-11.png

Note: It's nice of you to ask for help, before writing a review about a "buggy" or "not optimized package" :)
    If you get some other missing scripts, do not hesitate to give me the prefabs names
    and i'll give to you the missing scripts name to replace. Maybe one day Unity will fix this...

Regards

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    hopeful likes this.
  19. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey

I finished creating the elevators for the interiors, this will allow you to be able to manage floors in the parts where you want to create habitable modules.

I will continue texturing the second habitable module. I'm not very fast at the moment because I have a lot of work and health problems that force me to go to the hospital regularly (but I'm fine, don't worry)

Take care of you!

upload_2023-3-30_21-42-10.png

upload_2023-3-30_21-42-19.png

Last edited: Mar 31, 2023
  20. Dexi

Dexi

Keep up the good work!, we are waiting patiently...

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  21. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

I'm working on the big hangar half part :) I plan to allow you to populate a big part of the module area!

upload_2023-4-16_18-24-24.png

Like the actual finished module :)

upload_2023-4-16_18-26-13.png

dmenefee, StarChick971 and Dexi like this.
  22. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

23. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Starting the texturing :) As you can see you can integrate the actual interior kit directly on the doors positions, to populate the station shell interior. And with the elevators you can up and down :)

upload_2023-4-18_0-30-27.png

upload_2023-4-18_0-30-37.png

upload_2023-4-18_0-30-47.png

dmenefee likes this.
  24. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Long is the texturing way...

upload_2023-4-18_10-15-58.png

25. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Break time... :)

upload_2023-4-18_23-53-23.png

hopeful, dmenefee and Dexi like this.
  26. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

27. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Work in progress :)

As you can see the interiors are made for both parts. But you need to work on your side to make your own interior!

hjohnsen, dmenefee and StarChick971 like this.
  28. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Some new fresh shoot :) Some hole to fill , some pieces to add and i think to release it soon :)
    The good news it that give me some ideas for the next update!

2023-04-22_233608.jpg 2023-04-22_233644.jpg 2023-04-22_233709.jpg 2023-04-22_233735.jpg 2023-04-22_233803.jpg

29. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

30. dmenefee

dmenefee

Yes! Time to update! Very excited :)

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  31. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

Is there a chance to get a discount by upgrading from 3 to 4?

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  32. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

It's unity that make sales, i can't decide something about it... just take a sale opportunity! Sometime with 50% off!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2023
  33. StarChick971

StarChick971

Oh yeah, just saw the new update ! I have been away from using Unity for months, this hyped me so much I must find some time to spend to try this !

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  34. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey

Mode angry ON:

If the opinions on the kit are generally good, there are sometimes reviews that take my mind...

What does this mean: "to much details"??? It's like blaming a car for having too many options and therefore being complicated to use? It's still cool to have a prefab that I can modify in terms of color or detail and/or lights and particle?

Yes the kit has a lot of details! So what? Not happy to have full content? For $35? On SFK 3 peoples reproached me for not having enough...

If I look at the number of reviews from this type of user, I see that I am usually their first review!

So welcome to Creepy Cat world! :)

But please stop judging products that require whole months of work, on the sole basis that you have launched the map on your configuration and that you do not have a rendering at 120 FPS?

You are not buying a game!

You buy graphic data created by a professional, it is up to you to use this data to create your concept and your universe. for this reason my scenes are NEVER display optimized!

It's normal, I always work like this. I prefer to torture the GPU with maximum textures size and number of real time lights (the worst conditions), and i stop when the FPS number is too low. Because if it runs without optimization, the result will be better with it!

To give you an example:

In the station map, I repeatedly use a wall that contains a large number of pointlights. Well to optimize the display you can calculate the lightmapping to benefit from the lighting (complicated to do) that I did FOR YOU!

But you can't blame me for putting on beautiful lightning that you can modify?! Imagine the number of light points that are on computer/panels props? Nothing prevents you (it's the goal of a kit) to create your own prefabs optimized and without light!

Look the number of pointlight of the livable part: Without lightmap => No way to make it run smoothly!

upload_2023-4-25_9-44-28.png

But you could ask me?:

- "Creepy cat, why don't you lightmap your scenes?"

And I would tell you that it causes problems when you import a package that contains lightmap files. And if you knew the number of newbie emails starting with...

"Hey Creepy Cat i don't understand the rendering when i import the package? Textures are strange?"

=> Yes i know! Just open the Lightning window and recompute the lightmap! :)

That's why I do everything in real time now, I let the user calculate his lightmapping... Sameshit for Occlusion Culling! If i compute the occlusion => Some part of the scene are flicking during runtime after importation...

So I remind you: You are not buying a game, you are buying a box of legos. As a lego creator, I provide a possible assembly of the elements of my box. That's all!

The problem is that you don't do it, most of the time you take the example map that I give:

=> You switch the platform => Create APK and : That Ok! copy on the VR headset...

Or

=> "Yeah! I'm going to took the map provided to make my project!"

Without asking yourself the following question: And for the next level? How am I going to do the map? And after you write reviews like: "The package is not optimized for VR...", please have mercy! stop this...

You need to optimize on your side! It's not my job, my job is to provide you with a kit pieces, of the highest quality that I can make, putting in plenty of "details" that you can manage...

upload_2023-4-25_9-26-5.png

upload_2023-4-25_10-30-31.png

And remember! I'm not in your head => I don't know your project => There will always be a missing piece of kit for your needs => You need to adapt you to the content of the box.

And the last one... You need TO WORK to make a game! A single package will not be enough for 90% of your needs, in term of code/datas. And a map (even pretty) does not represent a game on its own... I'm doing a cool scene just for you! at least make the effort to optimize it for your needs and adapt it to the specific plateform to use.

It is by working to optimize my scenes for your needs that you will learn Unity!

Informations for beginners about "optimization" :

- Lightmapping:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Lightmappers.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightModes.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightProbes.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/progressive-lightmapper.html
    https://blog.unity.com/engine-platform/5-common-lightmapping-problems-and-tips-to-help-you-fix-them

- Occlusion culling:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/OcclusionCulling.html
    https://christopherhilton88.medium....ng-improves-performance-in-unity-887f14227fba
    https://learn.unity.com/tutorial/working-with-occlusion-culling
    https://thegamedev.guru/unity-performance/occlusion-culling-tutorial/

- Optimization VR:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2020.1/Documentation/Manual/MobileOptimizationPracticalGuide.html
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...rtual-reality-run-time-generated-content.html

Mode angry OFF:

I'm working on a serie of particle prefabs to create some cool ambiant! :)

Nouveau projet.gif

upload_2023-4-25_10-3-55.png

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    hjohnsen, dmenefee and StarChick971 like this.
  35. hopeful

hopeful

Well, you know how it is. Everybody gets an opinion, but some people don't know what they're talking about. :)

IIRC, somebody living at the time of Mozart listened to Mozart's music, sniffed imperiously, and commented that there were "too many notes."

StarChick971 and Creepy-Cat like this.
  36. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Yes, but they talk too much easy sometime in regards of the work needed...

You have to understand that all of this takes a lot of my time and effort to be fun to watch. I try in the kits to offer the best data and above all I try to teach people how to simply compose shiny scenes. It's my teacher side :)

I'll be an amateur, I don't care. But this is not the case, we are talking about a commercial product that required years of work... And who still asks me!

And there are days, depending on what happens to you, this kind of opinion makes you very angry :)

37. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

I'd need ALIEN structures ! ;-)

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  38. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Maybe later :) At this time i prefer make better explosions and shoot! :)

Nouveau projet.gif

StarChick971 likes this.
  39. StarChick971

StarChick971

As support Engineer I fully understand how much you can get upset when people just want a "play button and everything works fine in any situation".
    I personally love your kits, and you made me learn how important is it to truly optimize a scene (even if I still have a lot to learn on this topic). I guess people are complaining because you provide demo scenes that are not optimized with the right reasons you clearly exposed as they expect to have fine tuned & playable scenes for any platform (thinking about VR for example).
    If they were optimized they would ask "why my custom scene is not running??" and then we get to the same support issue...
    You have my support, just ignore those "first review" users they simply don't know about what quality is really.
    Perhaps for kit 5, you could only provide built demos and perhaps showroom scene (only showing prefabs alone) , so you won't have anyone complaining about demo scenes

Yeah particle effects! That's another skill you are showing us, perhaps as separate addon kit? so people interested in effects only could get it alone -> Creepy Cat's Effect pack #suggesting

dmenefee and Creepy-Cat like this.
  40. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Yes I could do it, but I prefer to make this kit a complete package that allows you to quickly prototype a game :) There is a very didactic side to the story! :) And i like when my users report me that they waste lot of time to play with the maps :)

Sorry to get upset about the reviews, but sometimes I don't understand people... They are never happy:

You make a light package => The package lacks details!
    You make a more complete package in terms of modification and customization => The package is too heavy...

Who can the most => Can the least... It's like with photoshop, it's easier to remove pixels from an image by resize, than to add them. So why complain about the details?

41. hopeful

hopeful

Yes, that is exactly it. No matter what you produce, people will find silly reasons to be unhappy. There is no solution, because the problem is on the customer end, not the developer end.

Customer: "Mozart, I think you'd really have something if you could cut about 50% of the notes."

(Knowledgeable music fans everywhere, throughout time, recoil in horror.)

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  42. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey!

I'm including some new interiors parts, like this one. A small empty module, that allow you to make some mini rooms with ease (very cool to make interiors like shops / desktops / diner room etc...) i plan to make spaceport shop elements to help you to make you own spaceshop alien npc place :)

upload_2023-4-27_13-20-36.png

Nouveau projet.gif

Sometime when we talk about optimization, this new map is the perfect representation! Why take the entire Station scene to make this new one... I plan to start from the dock airport hangar => And going inside the station => I don't need all the element of the previous scene!

To make this new scene i just keep what i need:
    upload_2023-4-27_13-37-38.png

And because the user don't need to go on the other station side => I remove the secondary livable element => And i fill the hole with a low poly part => Just in case of directional light turning.

upload_2023-4-27_13-39-2.png

This is display "OPTIMIZATION"...

dmenefee likes this.
  43. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

The 1.7 version should be also a cool release! :) While i was making the 1.6, some different
    problems appear to me, and one in particular:

"How to populate a so big env!?"

So yes my interior kit work well for small base module creation, but for a big baby like the
    station, it's more complicated! For this release 1.7 I'm going to look into the matter, it's not
    complicated to do, and I'm going to rest... Because the creation of the station broke me a bit!

I'm going to come back to simple things, "the interiors..."

I worked also on a script to make some proximity mines :) It generate a physic explode!
    Reworked also the explosions, the gun impacts etc... Many small things. New physic stuff and
    new fire effects.

See ya! :)

Speed X200:
    Nouveau projet.gif

Work In Progress:
    upload_2023-4-27_23-4-42.png

upload_2023-4-27_23-4-52.png

upload_2023-4-27_23-5-3.png

upload_2023-4-27_23-5-12.png

StarChick971, dmenefee and hopeful like this.
  44. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

It's really cool to build his own interior :)

upload_2023-4-28_10-4-3.png

Nouveau projet.gif

dmenefee and StarChick971 like this.
  45. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hydroponic container and plants :)

2023-04-29_204038.jpg
    2023-04-29_204441.jpg
    2023-04-29_204755.jpg
    2023-04-29_204844.jpg

2023-04-29_204948.jpg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2023
  46. frankadimcosta

frankadimcosta

47. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

I'll take a look ! Thanks :)

frankadimcosta likes this.
  48. StarChick971

StarChick971

I have been away from Unity for months but just came back a little following several projects like Creepy Cat's.
    As I really liked the spacesport, so I wanted to have a quick view from the small hangar in VR

(No optimization here, just throwing a VR controller and immersed myself in the bay using a Quest2 as PC VR)

49. StarChick971

StarChick971

And now with Demo C without scene optimization, probably my favourite scene from the package at the moment. :)

Good to know it looks already great in VR (running under Unity 2021.3.22), just need to add a good scene performance boost using LODs, merged meshes, dynamic occlusion and so on.

50. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

I'm the first surprised! :) I didn't think it would work so well! What did you made as optimization?

- Lightning backing? Textures size reduction? No fight with decal Z pos flicking?