Search Unity

[RELEASED] 3D Scifi Kit Vol 4 official topic!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Creepy-Cat, May 23, 2022.

?

What do you prefer in a modular kit?

1. - Spaceships / Vehicles?

52.4%
  2. - Build stuff, i want more parts allowing me!

58.7%
  3. - I want more elements already built, I don't like to work...

9.5%
  4. - I want more scenes!

4.8%
  5. - I want props that allow me to create an exploration/craft game!

25.4%
  6. - I want props that allow me to create an action/simulation game!

17.5%
  7. - I want props that allow me to create a battle isle war game!

1.6%
  8. - I want props that allow me to create all types of games!

15.9%
  9. - I want props that allow me to create a subnautica style game!

7.9%
  10. - I want props that allow me to create a starcitizen/elite game!

31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hi guys :)

I'm not giving a lot of news at the moment because I'm in the process of passing my motorcycle driver's license! It's extremely stressful for the autistic asperger that I am... That's why :) But as soon as it's ok I go back to work! (The release is 95% complete)

Soon you will be mine! :)

upload_2022-11-8_18-43-46.png

PsigenVision, EstudioVR and dmenefee like this.
  2. dmenefee

dmenefee

Is that your ride? Sweet!

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  3. AngelBeatsZzz

AngelBeatsZzz

The fps of the Demo_A scene is too low. I use the 2060s graphics card. In the URP Demo_A scene, I can only get 20-30+ fps. I built lights and occlusion, but it didn't help. I tried to turn off all mesh colliers, but it didn't help. Is there a good way to improve fps?

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
    Creepy-Cat likes this.
  4. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

The optimization :) The eternal problem !

All the demo scenes require optimization! The first one to do is the Occlusion (you need to make "static" all the scene objects, including terrain) this first optimization increase the FPS.

Next the textures size! Actually the textures are provided to 8K, maybe you can decrease the size? Next reduce the terrain detail size, reduce the light shadow number etc etc etc... Optimization is a art !

I provide my datas with a maximum of stuff on => It's to you to optimize the rendering for YOUR Graphics cards. you will never be able to have an identical rendering on all graphics cards. This is why in games there are graphic options to adapt the rendering to your GPU.

As I explain to my students. If I give you a kit consisting of a single cube, you will tell me that the kit is optimized! But if in a map, you place 4 million cubes without any optimization => You will tell me that the kit is not optimized :)

The optimization concerns the data and the number of items on the map. In kit 4 I had warned people that it would contain a little more polygon than volume 3.

5. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

I plan to buy this one! :) Or the Honda CB500X :) I don't know yet...

dmenefee likes this.
  6. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey! :)

Here is the video about the update 1.5 :) I hope you like it! Release soon...

Note: The steering wheel of the car is not static, you can of course turn it.
    I had the phlegm to do it :)

7. hopeful

hopeful

You'll let us know if there's going to be a price increase, right?

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  8. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Yeah :) For the moment i don't plan any price increase (maybe for the update 1.6), but when
    i'll do it of course you will know!

My goal is not to become a millionaire :) But when updates require me a lot of work time, that's
    when I increase the price. Why this question? Haven't purchased the package yet?

dmenefee and Agent31 like this.
  9. hopeful

hopeful

Haven't purchased it yet, because I have so much space art and I'm not sure what I still need.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  10. dmenefee

dmenefee

Love it! I might add a rearview mirror that can show the giant space monster that's chasing me (with the appropriate stenciled text on the mirror, of course: Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear) :)

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  11. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey :)

For the next update i plan a set of pieces to build some space stations! I think I'll take inspiration from the one in place in Star Citizen, something like this. I must first think carefully about the size of the parts that will serve as a shell for the structure. THE problem is that on this kind of mega structure, you have to save a little on the number of polygons for texturing...

It is for this reason that I have to work on texture patterns that will allow me to be able to tile large rectangular areas to avoid too many polygon subdivisions.

upload_2022-11-22_15-17-57.png

I also have to make sure that I can use the current interior kit, so that all the elements adapt as well as possible. At the moment I started working on the new texture. This one will only include large patterns that I could grid and rotate to fill the large polygons.

upload_2022-11-22_15-24-23.png

I'm also starting to think about the different rooms in the station. To allow you a certain modularity! This will allow you to build your own.

12. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Awesome man!

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  13. dmenefee

dmenefee

YES!!

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  14. Agent31

Agent31

Nice, exactly what I was looking for!

How do you plan your scaling with regards to building dimensions for interiors, and what will be your process for planning scaling for large space structures as well? (Scaling in relation to human-sized objects)

15. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

The process is always the same: The grid!

My basic unit are my floors, to define what size it is going to be, I first lay out a coherent set of hallways and rooms and then I make the structure around it.

For the next space bases I also have to plan the entrances to the hangars etc. These are things I have to think about... Because if I'm wrong it will cause problems like the Vol 3 kit...

I think of making elements that can be connected and that also allow links between them. But it's complicated, the cat must first think...

I don't think I'll do something with the same monstrous dimensions because it wouldn't make too much sense, but I'll try to get as close to the model as possible :)

dmenefee, dirkjacobasch and Agent31 like this.
  16. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

3D Texture almost finish. It's very long to do... But it's the better solution to get some good normal map!

upload_2022-12-1_15-12-18.png

dirkjacobasch and dmenefee like this.
  17. hopeful

hopeful

Normal maps are so important. Roughness maps too.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  18. Paspartout

Paspartout

Awesome work! I plan to use it for a VRChat map in the future messing around with light baking, optimizations and such at the moment. With Bakery and MonoSH directional light maps I think things could look really awesome.
    The quality of all the assets in general is top notch, you can really see that how much though was put into it. So much value for the price, and you still keep adding stuff to it.
    I am also looking forward to the space station update. Keep up the good work!

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  19. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Thanks for your message :) I'll be a less more productive during christmas because i need to go to see my family! But When the new year will come, i'll re-take the work seriously :)

dmenefee and dirkjacobasch like this.
  20. dmenefee

dmenefee

Have a wonderful holiday with family!

Creepy-Cat and hopeful like this.
  21. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

22. dulinieck

dulinieck

CreepyCat
    Did you think about making possibility of having old/abandoned look for the station.
    Dirty walls, rust, etc. just to go from the totally new look to opposite effect
    so have estetics more like on this film:

StarChick971 and Creepy-Cat like this.
  23. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

The only possibility (due to the atlased texturing) to dirt the textures, is to use a seamless texture as Secondary Maps.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMaterialParameterDetail.html

Because if you want some real dirty textures, you need almost have a texture per object! But atlas technic allow you a to have limited textures number. It's a choice to make when you start a kit. In my case when i create a product i prefer provide a limited textures numbers, it make the kit more light.

Note: I provide in the kit two textures details to use as secondary map, a clean one and another a bit more dirty. But you can include your own (but it need to be seamless)

Dirt_A.png
    Dirt_B.png

In a future update i plan some "dirt decals" but at this time i need to concentrate to the most important parts.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
    runningbird, dmenefee and dulinieck like this.
  24. dulinieck

dulinieck

for STV Vehicle there is "controller" in your asset - right? is it based on wheel colliders and rigidbody?
    do you plan any controller for Bubble ship ?

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  25. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Yes there is a controler for the car, for the bubble ship no, i'm not enought good coder to make a good fly controller :)

26. Boemak

Boemak

Does this work with the space combat kit? I would be able to just your amazing assets right?

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  27. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

I don't know, my kit is a media database with good units, I do not seek to make things compatible with others. The kit is a set of media that you use as you want. I try to do things right so people can use them as easily as possible.

dmenefee likes this.
  28. hopeful

hopeful

I can't think of any reason why you can't use Creepy's scene art along with any other asset sold in the Unity asset store. You should be able to use it with the Space Combat Kit (which is mainly play logic, like movement and attack) and the Space Graphics Toolkit (which is planets and stars), for example.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  29. Boemak

Boemak

Ok, you have a sale :) Thanks.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  30. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

You welcome :) Many thanks, i hope you will like it! (I'm sure yes...)

31. dulinieck

dulinieck

I just purchased - Bubble ship is just amazing - I would say Star Citizen level.
    But my notebook (not so bad) even in editor almost stop working (ryzen 5800+nvidia 3060+16gb ram+1tb nvme samsung evo 970).
    What is the proper/best way to decrease texture size/resolution?
    On printscreen below is option I think suggested by somebody in that thread. After using it all started working fast again in editor. But it destroys resolution of others textures - they are blurry. Is there any other way to make your textures 2k?
    And Bubble ship in 2k looks almost identical to 8k - I would say is still perfect. :) at least on 15inch notebook.
    upload_2022-12-22_22-50-20.png

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  32. dulinieck

dulinieck

There is also possible to change resolution in properties of texture - is it the proper way?
    If yes then I see some of your textures are 8k, some are 4k (i.e. normal maps) - if I want to switch from 8k to 2k then I should convert:
    8k->2k and 4k textures to 1k for optimal efect or all to 2k ?
    upload_2022-12-22_23-49-53.png

dirkjacobasch likes this.
  33. hopeful

hopeful

Any artist wants to sell reasonably high resolution textures. That's because you can always step them down to get better performance, but it's impossible to step up low resolution images and add quality. Low resolution images at higher resolution look the same: blocky.

In Unity, you can select a group of textures and decrease their resolution, as in your second image. You can do that to help your development time be speedy, and then when you do a build you want to show off, increase the resolution to the highest level you desire, depending on your target platform.

You might find that 1024 texture size is good for you while you are developing.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    dulinieck and Creepy-Cat like this.
  34. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hi, thanks to bought the kit :) So the best way to downsize a texture is :

Click on the texture and change the texture size in the right control panel :)

1766-show.png

hopeful likes this.
  35. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

It's because to get better performance i decided to reduce some textures because I felt it would save performance without affecting the graphics rendering. I think normal maps should be as high resolution as possible while diffuse maps can have a lower resolution (ex: for AO maps and illumination maps, metal maps)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
    hopeful and dulinieck like this.
  36. dulinieck

dulinieck

@Creepy-Cat regarding vehicles and this kind of stuff - maybe do you plan add hovercraft? anty-gravity bike ?
    or maybe you already have thrm in any of your other asstes?

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  37. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

I will apply the same roadmap as my V3 kit:

- First the pieces to build some space bases.
    - Second, a ship to navigate your universe.
    - Then an STV style vehicle.
    - Third, a space base modular kit. (actually working on)
    - And then new ships and other vehicles.

But you have to understand that making ships and vehicles takes a lot of time! So I have to choose the most interesting vehicles for the greatest number of users. But why not in the future add this type of vehicle :)

But that's why I made a poll on the forum topic to find out what users need the most.

38. dulinieck

dulinieck

@Creepy-Cat what is you approach to LODs - I see you do not have them pre-defined.
    I assume I will have to generate them for all prefabs myself? Or at the end of asset development you plan to add also LODs?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    Creepy-Cat likes this.
  39. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Creating LOD is a lot of work, I've been waiting for years for Unity to integrate an automatic LOD system like the unreal engine. But they prefer to make 50 different rendering engines, to end up doing the same thing...

In the meantime, you can do "Culling" to optimize the display. You can also make the decals disappear to gain some FPS. But in general I don't waste time creating LODs. Objects stay LOW poly, and you can get good results using the methods I talked about earlier.

dulinieck likes this.
  40. hopeful

hopeful

I've heard that polygon counts are not that important these days, but texture size is. So one of the most effective forms of LOD is something you can do fairly easily, which is to reduce texture size at a distance. Use whatever you want as your top texture, like 2k or 4k for LOD0, then use a 512 resolution for LOD 1, and 256 for LOD 2, or something like that. That sort of thing makes it much easier to process objects further away. Also, be sure to cull objects (or at least turn off their mesh renderer components) before their polys get to subpixel dimensions, or if for some other reason they cannot be seen. Another thing that can be extremely helpful for certain sorts of objects or game designs is a pooling system. If you have repeating objects, like wall panels or chairs, you can pool them so you have a small number that keep getting relocated to where the camera is. That way you could have what appears to be a lot of ridiculously HQ objects as you move from area to area, but it's really just the same objects being effortlessly moved from place to place as the camera moves.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
  41. dulinieck

dulinieck

thanks for idea of LODs for textures - I was focused that mesh count in LOD is all what is importand.

but why let say "pooling of walls" could give so much benefits? if all are made of the same material and mesh is low-mid poly then is it really beneficial to build complicated pool system for that? is this kind of magic used in any indie game? or maybe more importand and practical - is any optimizer on asset store which is making that kind of optimisation ?

42. hopeful

hopeful

There are a lot of different tricks developers use to make their games more efficient, like additive scenes, addessables, imposters, mesh combining, frustum culling, etc. What single or multiple methods work best may be different for different games. So I wouldn't focus too much on "walls" being pooled, as I was just trying to come up with an example of something that in some games could be repeated a lot. In your particular game, maybe it would be more efficient to use mesh combining to turn all of your walls with the same material into a single mesh.

Why use pools at all? In some sorts of games you would keep instantiating and destroying the same objects over and over, which causes a lot of garbage collection, and that can cause periodic bursts of lag. It can eat up performance. What works better is to turn the renderer for that object off when you no longer need to show it, and then the next time you need to display one of these same objects, just move the old one to this new location and turn the renderer on. It's a way to save memory and avoid garbage collection.

Like if you had an endless runner game, a small group of different objects would keep coming into view for the player to interact with. You could just keep re-using the same small group of objects, repositioning them on your map.

For another example, let's say you have a machine gun that is producing dozens of shell casings very rapidly, and these then skitter across the floor due to physics. Instantiating and then destroying each of these would be hugely inefficient. Better to have a pool of shell casings. That way maybe you have 100 casings in the pool, and instead of instantiating / destroying, you just re-use the 100 casings in the pool as needed. Sure you are allocating them in advance, and that takes some memory, but re-using them keeps your render and physics budget more steady.

dulinieck and Creepy-Cat like this.
  43. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey all!

Christmas holidays are over! :) I wish you all a happy new year 2023 and above all, health!

I resume work for the next update, I started to model the solar panels of the space station.
    For the moment I have nothing textured I just model.

upload_2023-1-4_9-28-0.png

44. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Texturing in progress :)

upload_2023-1-10_1-5-50.png

45. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey :)

I'm working also on some "gravity rings" for the spaceport, not finished yet (WIP).

See ya!

upload_2023-1-16_0-26-54.png

upload_2023-1-14_23-26-29.png

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  46. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey all! :)

For the next update I created a new pattern texture, which will allow me to add details on the large spaceport structures. I am happy with the result because it will prevent me from segmenting large objects too much and it will save polygons!

upload_2023-1-17_17-32-14.png

upload_2023-1-17_17-34-40.png

Last edited: Jan 17, 2023
  47. hopeful

hopeful

I did eventually purchase this, BTW. :)

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  48. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Why are you hesitating! Give me your money! :)

PsigenVision likes this.
  49. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Work in progress! :)

upload_2023-1-18_0-23-5.png

50. dmenefee

dmenefee

Creepy-Cat likes this.