Search Unity

[RELEASED] 3D Scifi Kit Vol 3 official topic!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Creepy-Cat, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hey, The cat is alive :)

Since a while, i'm thinking to a modular spaceship system for the kit, and i think i got something usable now!

This kind of process is a bit complicated to make in place, due to the grid using, but i will make some tests, if the result is easy to use and cool, it should be the next Scifi Kit update :)

At this time, i'm making test of building, it i estimate that good, i'll release it! :)

See ya! And take care...

upload_2020-5-8_13-42-40.png

upload_2020-5-8_13-42-47.png

upload_2020-5-8_13-42-56.png

2. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hi

A greybox screenshot, of the new commercial spaceship! Do not hesitate to paste a spaceship name for this one

It should be a big baby again :) With many cockpit/hangar views possible on each big modules (need to be linked with the previous interior kit) I think that the better way to get a spaceship kit + the possibility to make interior.

I thinked about this since one year And the others ships of the kit was made to choose the best method for the rest of the kit vessels.

A kind of training...

2020-05-10_020146.jpg

upload_2020-5-10_2-13-5.png

upload_2020-5-10_2-12-16.png

3. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

I put my suggestion on Facebook :) Nostromo (maybe Sulaco)

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  4. dexxy

dexxy

Just purchased, I am Loving it!!! Keep up the great work!!!

Is this the place to post questions or do you have a discord or website?

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    Creepy-Cat likes this.
  5. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Yeah i see it! :)

Yeah it's the place :) No diskord, for the website or others it's indicated on my publisher page!

6. dexxy

dexxy

Here is a quick question, is there a sample scene where I get in and fly or drive any of the ships or vehicles? Do I need to make interior colliders for walking around the stations / ships? Thanks, I am new at this, Greg

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  7. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

The best way to discover the kit is : Load all the scenes and look them! :) I made them to help peoples to understand the kit. The scene for the rover is included :) And yes all colliders are pre made :)

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  8. dexxy

dexxy

Thank you, I found Space Station A and the Rover scenes, just what I was looking for. All the best, Greg

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  9. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Do not hesitate to post a review! :)

10. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

Great kit! I have only just started using it and have a question about a rendering effect. When I move over the valkyrie ship to the cockpit (near end of this vid:
    ), a lot of the model surfaces flash, a bit like highlights on shiny surfaces but also a bit like z-fighting of two surfaces nearly on top of each other). Is this a deliberate effect?

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  11. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

12. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

yep, the clipping of foreground objects are not an issue (for me) in this case, tho I will probably do that change. Are you also saying this will change the flashing effect?

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  13. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

It is possible to get a screen of the flashing effect you talk ?

14. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Which flashing effect do you mean? You mean what I marked in the screenshot?

sc.jpg

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  15. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

yes those areas flash - or shimmer is a better word - and the highlights on edges of craft (and the arrow to right that you marked).

16. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

dirkjacobasch gives a good example

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  17. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

You talking about the material shininess? Just modify the metalic parameter of the materials.

18. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

I have 2x antialiasing set in the quality settings ... but note this is a 5+ year old core i5 laptop with intel iris graphics ...

19. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

I don't have a problem with it, just want to know what the effects are and determine that they are *not* due to some z fighting issue because the z buffer is usually rock solid with no problems, e.g. where surfaces intersect.

20. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

I have a name looking for a ship like that: Heart of Harmony - but I would like something a bit "prettier"? Not sure what finishes you are planning, but I would not want that name on dull coloured ship! :p

21. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hi

Sorry but i have a problem to understand your request... Maybe due to the langage frontier. did you talk about the Z problem in your video at : 7:01 => 7:10 when the camera is near the pilot chair? If yes, in this case you need to change the camera near value.

Yeah it's a good name idea :)

Regards

upload_2020-5-12_14-12-9.png

22. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

Hi, that are antialiasing artefacts. That's why I use CTAA because Unitys builtin AA is not that good. CTAA is not cheap but you can buy it at the next Unity sale.

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  23. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

Ah thatnks for the tip on CTAA, I will look at that some time.

dirkjacobasch likes this.
  24. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

No I did not mean the front clipping problem with the chair - but thanks, dirkjacobasch has answered my question. :)

Creepy-Cat and dirkjacobasch like this.
  25. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

dexxy, wersw73 and dirkjacobasch like this.
  26. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hi!

I'm working on the spaceship assembly! (not finish yet) To see if my proportions are corrects , and to check if the links with the interior kit is good, and good news! It's ok

W.I.P Video, not representative of the final map (surprise)

27. hopeful

hopeful

Not just awesome ... it's super-awesome! :)

Any idea what causes the flickering of lights? I'm guessing it is an artifact of AA ...?

28. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Yeah it's the normal map + specular (+bloom...), that give this it's a know unity problem, this can be solved by a new antialiasing method like CTAA.

Cool if you like the video!

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  29. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

I took a Creepy ship to Mars :)

EstudioVR and Creepy-Cat like this.
  30. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Enjoy :) Do not hesitate to take a look on the last update with a warp gate! It should be usefull for you :)

31. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

ok, I will. I like the big warp gate and had it as the last gate before mars, but had to remove it due to some error that I did not have time to sort out.

The error is: Failed executing external process for 'Clustering' job. Also, the gate still seems ok, but with the gate in the project, something boggs down my poor laptop. It could be the clustering because it is nearly always running and in the bottom right says: 5/11 Clustering, 16 jobs. This goes to 1 job then fails with the error above.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  32. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

BTW, one thing I sometimes find very difficult with your prefabs is working out what the parent prefab is. E.g. I just had a look at the magellan folder, found the gate and don't know if I should load startgate01 or stargateWarp01!

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  33. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

I understand your request, and you are right... But it's difficult to organize correctly 3 years of work in a simple struct.

For ther next update, i modified a bit the kit structure to make it a bit more clear.

But it's difficult because if i use a unique prefab directory structure, peoples are not happy because they don't see the last update prefabs (lost in the others). For this reason, i made the actual structure, to help you to find all the last prefabs by updates.

In your case :

First i use clear simple names! ( i hope :) if you want a reactor, just search "reactor" into the unity project windows.

"Ok the cat, but how i can be sure to take the prefab and not the mesh?"

Just by looking the "names"! if you search a "reactor", take the prefab named something like this :

P_Reactor_XXXXX

Because i use "P_" for the "prefabs" (only use them! Not the meshes!)

I hope you like the kit :) About the : "The error is: Failed executing external process for 'Clustering' job." it seem to be a memory problem when you lightmap the scene? In this case reduce the number of "statics" objects in your scene.

In the case of spacial scene, personnaly i don't static the spaceships, only the interiors... It take less time!

hopeful likes this.
  34. archmagus

archmagus

Hello! I have a quick (and maybe rather silly) question. Are the assets in Vol 1, Vol 2 and Vol 3 compatible in terms of design? And it kind of seems to be that Vol. 3 also contains the assets from Vol. 2, is that the case? Or is it an extension?

Thank you in advance :)

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  35. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Hi

As you can understand, each kits represent my own skill! ;) So the grid size are almost the same but the design a the kit using is different. for the volume one i was a young graphic artist :) I got some better skills now :)

So you can mix those kits in a project, but you can't mix the pieces between each kit

36. archmagus

archmagus

I agree, Vol 2 and 3 display a higher amount of skill! :D So if I buy both Vol 2 and 3, will there be any duplicate assets in them? Because I'm really eyeing them both :) Cheers!

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  37. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

With each packages i try to make something different... It's not easy to imagine what the users need :)

38. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

I took a Creepy ship into subspace :)

dirkjacobasch and Creepy-Cat like this.
  39. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

I see you are playing with my kit! It's cool :) I don't identify with precision what is your project? but the most important is : "Play and enjoy with my kit..."

On my side i continue the spaceship kit parts texturing :) I

upload_2020-6-16_18-49-32.png

upload_2020-6-16_18-49-42.png

I worked also on a small command center module! You can put it everywhere on the ship, to create some other command zones. (3 floors sized, 3 x3)

upload_2020-6-16_18-51-35.png

I need to finish 2/3 parts texturing, and next the map :)

40. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

Thanks CC. The project is a framework that allows very large scale continuous space to be used with high accuracy and down to sub millimetre level as well, without having to break the space into chunks and without the need for much slow double-precision math (64 bit floating point) and scenegraph for everything. Single-precision math, based on floats (32 bit floating point) is twice as fast. Unity scenegraph uses floats for positioning and object transforms. Normally, single precision does not have enough accuracy/resolution to handle full-scale Earth modelling and continuous navigation through space to other planets. My framework uses techniques, such as continuous floating origin, and others to make that possible. I wrote the original paper on floating origin. For more info see https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Chris_Thorne3

I like your models and use them to demonstrate what can be done with my techniques. I don't have the time to do modelling as well as framework development. :)

[QUOTE="
    but the most important is : "Play and enjoy with my kit..."

On my side i continue the spaceship kit parts texturing :) I

View attachment 643775

View attachment 643781

I worked also on a small command center module! You can put it everywhere on the ship, to create some other command zones. (3 floors sized, 3 x3)

View attachment 643787

I need to finish 2/3 parts texturing, and next the map :)[/QUOTE]

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  41. cosmochristo

cosmochristo

Looking terrific. I know I am using a very under-powered machine (core i5 laptop), but one thing I would like to know is are you considering any performance optimisations such as LOD for your models? I find my laptop struggles with the complexity of just one module.

42. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Not at this time, because 'im waiting for Unity Auto Lod (like Unreal Engine), Did you use the Unity Occlusion Culling ?
    And you talk about a module complexity ? What module are youtalking ?

If you talk about one of the spaceships fulll stuffed with the interior, and props, it's a bit normal that a core I5 get struggles :) Take a look on this :

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/OcclusionCulling.html

It help really, to hide no camera view objects ! Occlusion need to be backed when your scene is setuped. The kit is allready optimized due to the low poly + Low set of textures.

Regards

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  43. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

I use Mantis LOD which works pretty good and it is easy to use. There is a free trial to test it.
    https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/modeling/mantis-lod-editor-professional-edition-37086

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  44. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Always here to save me :)

dirkjacobasch likes this.
  45. dirkjacobasch

dirkjacobasch

I just want to help because the Unity community helped me so much over the years.:)

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  46. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

Continue! I love it :)

47. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

A short video to show you the w.i.p on the spaceship. I decided to name it : UNC ISABELLA
    There is still one big module to unwrap for the ship front...

EstudioVR and dirkjacobasch like this.
  48. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

Great. Why Isabella? What movie is from?

Creepy-Cat likes this.
  49. Creepy-Cat

Creepy-Cat

No movie reference this time :) I just like this name, it's enough "generic" for a commercial spaceship :)

upload_2020-6-18_0-54-10.png

50. hopeful

hopeful

Make sure you know what your computer and scene is really struggling with. It's probably not the number of polys, which is what LOD would address.

https://forum.unity.com/threads/psa-a-general-rant-on-model-lods.859201/

As others have said, there's a few standard optimizations we all use to get scenes running efficiently. You should render pretty much only what your camera can see (occlusion), you should keep an eye on your texture sizes, and you should combine meshes and atlas textures when it is advantageous to do so. But that will be specific to your game. Asset makers shoot themselves and their customers in the foot when they try to make such optimizations themselves, because few customers (aside from flippers) use the whole asset without any modification.

One type of LOD you can do fairly easily on your own is texture LOD. Find your biggest, most detailed textures, and set up materials for objects using those textures at different distances. So you have the same texture and shader, but smaller resolution on the texture (including the albedo, normals, metallic, whatever) for more distant LODs. The easiest thing a person could do to take a desktop project and make it more efficient for mobile is to reduce the size of the textures. Every time you go down a step - say from 2048 to 1024 - you are reducing to one quarter of the previous texture processing load. If you go down two steps, that's 1/16th of the load.

We want large textures for close up detail. These should definitely be in the kit. But we don't need to display that high level of detail all the time, usually, and Unity allows you to easily reduce the resolution of the textures.

Anyway ... those are my thoughts. Play around with different ideas and see what works best for you. It's a whole world to explore.

BTW, there are tons of free and paid-for efficiency solutions in the asset store and on Github. If you definitely need mesh LODs, look into Unity's free AUTOLOD on Github.

Creepy-Cat and dirkjacobasch like this.