Search Unity

[Released] 2D Jump'n'Run Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Samb88, May 23, 2011.

1. Samb88

Samb88

@modeling_man
    What exactly do you need?

@gregmax
    Well, I will start with checking the code for some errors or things that can be written better.. And that should be a lot ;) After that, I will look into new features. But first: get back on track :)

@bananamouth
    Ok, after this mini Update I will document what I change in the script and always provide a backup of all recent versions.
    If you'd added something cool I would like to know, maybe we can integrate it in the framework :)

I will submit this mini update to unity now. Don't expect something fancy, it's just a little fix for things here and there. Android deployment works again with no problems. I can't test iOS deployment, but I hope everything works fine!

2. Mars91

Mars91

I have a question for you:

If I reach the edge of a platform (suppose we have a cube collider) and press left (we were running on right) the player do not fall but it play stop animation and then it turn him self on left.

3. Samb88

Samb88

Hey FootpringGames,
    could you make a webplayer or something that demonstrates the problem? I can't follow it from your description :/

To everybody:
    I'm having a nasty bug in Unity and it's really a work stopper. I try my best but the constant crashes are really annoying...

4. gregmax17

gregmax17

Is there a way to have the animation from this framework: Smooth Moves?

If this Jump n Run framework detects the Smooth Moves framework, it could use that instead... or something? Just a suggestion. I hope you consider and implement it!

5. Samb88

Samb88

@gregmax17
    Yes! Infact, I'm working on it right now:
    http://www.bysamb.de/unity/ani/WebPlayer.html

The next version will have a third animation component: "animationSM".
    If you use the smooth moves framework you have full support of every aspect of it, since it uses the smooth moves functions.
    I will look a little deeper into smooth moves features and see what else I can do. The update should be ready at the end of next week!
    So yeah, I say everybody check out smooth moves, it's a wonderful system!!!

6. gregmax17

gregmax17

7. hermes

hermes

hi! It's a fantastic framework!
    Maybe you can fix a little thing..
    When you are in the air after a jump, you can't change the player's jump direction..
    And I've a question too..
    I installed the game in my android mobile and the mobile inputs work great..
    but every time i touch the jump button, the character jumps and shoots a fireball too..
    how can I fix that?

8. TTkJonas

TTkJonas

@hermes
    Change the air control Variable in the inspector of the Player Jumping Script to change the jump Direction while jumping ;-)

9. hermes

hermes

thanks for the reply but I was talking about the animation :) but I saw after that checking "rotate_in_air" it change :D I didn't see that bool before xD

There's anyway the problem that the character, with "rotate_in_air" checked, remain rotate forever :/
    (in Android mobile only)

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  10. gregmax17

gregmax17

I have, yet again, request for this sweet framework: the ability to grab onto ledges.

I just though of this last night when playing my test build. A lot of time I would fall just short of a platform, but would've been able to make it if there was a 'grab ledges' ability.

11. Samb88

Samb88

@hermes
    What do you mean with "remain rotate forever"? Searching for my usb cable to test this :)

@gregmax17
    I have to study some examples how to achieve this. But yes, sounds like a good addition! Thanks!

Right now, I finalize the smooth moves update. I will contact echo17 so I don't miss anything. Hopefully ready in the next few days!
    Meanwhile, check Smooth Moves out by echo17 http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/124211-Smooth-Moves-2D-Skeletal-Animation It's just fantastic and works like a charm!

12. hermes

hermes

for example..
    you jump from the left part of the screen to the right one and while the character is in the air you change the direction of the jump..
    After the jump the character looks at the opposite direction of the jump.. It's quite difficult to explain.. Anyway that's not a big problem ;)
    I'd like to know instead how to change the fireball button..
    I'd like to have a button for jump, a button for glide and a button for fireball..

13. Samb88

Samb88

Hmm seems like there is no option to add a real mobile button for the fireball attack. I will fix that in the next version!

14. elizeusz

elizeusz

Hi I want to thank You for this great work. I have some problem with capsule and wall coliders but i saw that somebody was writing about this then i will try to falow his instructions. Is ther option for to crauch ?

15. gregmax17

gregmax17

I was thinking: is there a way to make the glide action be the same jump button? That way, there is one less button on the mobile screen. I tried this originally, but right when I did the double jump it went straight into the glide.

What is the status of the next release? When can we expect it? What is planned for the next release? It would be nice if you could update the framework in small little chunks/features at a time... this waiting is too itchy, ha!

16. Samb88

Samb88

Well now thats what I call a last minute request :) Added "Glide_only_after_doublejump". If true, you can only activate the glide, if you fully doublejumped (or after the first jump, if multijumps is 0). So you can safely map jumping and gliding on the same button!

I will send in the update in the next few hours so hopefully it will be online tomorrow. Mostly, this update is for every smooth moves user, but it got some small fixes here and there! After that, I will work on something for everybody :)

17. gregmax17

gregmax17

If I am not mistaken, didn't someone here on the forums have an "attack" animation for this framework? Did you send the files to Samb88 for review/update? I would like to use that in my game, thanks :)

18. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Sorry the bump, but i want that too ;)
    Animation for fireball and a pick up item like fire flower in Super Mario World that will be great ;)

"HULK SMASH" :)

19. elizeusz

elizeusz

Hi :) I am looking for testsceneragespline and if i am working with 2d character player health is working fine when i have colision with enemy bu when i switch to 3d character this script is not working any more. Maybe i am doing something wrong ?

20. elizeusz

elizeusz

Hmm and i cant move after enemy hit me...

21. Samb88

Samb88

@keeptrying and gregmax
    Animations/modes for attacking will come, have to figure out how to implement them without too much hassle, so a programmer could easily change it :)

@elizeusz
    The 3DPlayer in the testscene won't work right now, you're right. Gonna fix that. It's because the player is missing the animation clip for getting hit. The setup for a 3D and 2D player is pretty similar, so if you wanna use your own 3D model, just use the 2D player and replace the 2D animation script with the 3D animation script. you will find everything else in the documentation!

@every
    Guess what:
    Tomorrow is the first anniversary of the 2D Jump'N'Run Framework!
    Because of that, I will lower the price of the framework to 20$ for two weeks!
    Mad because you bought the framework for more? No problem! Everyone who bought the framework before 25.05.2012 will get the pick up items mega pack (35$) for free!!!
    You can still get this deal if you buy this framework before the price switches to 20$, so hurry up!
    Also, the price change will come with a new version, with some bug fixes and first sound effects.

Thanks everybody for a year full of jump'n'run awesomeness! Let's make this framework even bigger!!!

22. Mars91

Mars91

Where can i find pick up items?

23. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Unity Asset Store :) on Samb88' page :)

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  24. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Hi Samb,

No time to freelance ? :)

Last edited: May 27, 2012
  25. Mars91

Mars91

SOLVED
    Question. I want to stay on wallside state also when right or left button are not pressed. How can I do it?
    SOLVED

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  26. Samb88

Samb88

Hey all!
    The sale price is online! Get the framework for 20$ now!!!

If you bought the framework for 30$, please send a mail at "admin(at)bysamb.de" with your invoice number, so I can verify your order! I will then e-mail you the pick up items mega pack!

27. artemk

artemk

Hi,

Want to add my own 3d character with custom animations to the framework, but I can't get it to work. I've managed to include my 3D player, with basic animations, but let's say if I want to add custom animation for attack, where do I start?

Thanks!

28. elizeusz

elizeusz

I see there is falldamage option :) Thank You very much :)

29. Samb88

Samb88

@artemk
    Right now, there isn't an attack animation. I know that I'm really slow with the attacking thing, since I'm more a Sonic/Mario type of gamer, attacking was never on a high priority. But I will add some attacking animations soon!

@elizeusz
    I made it as best as I could. Hopefully it will work for you :)

Thanks to Inspector++ the next version will featre custom inspectors! It's all a bit more organized and some variables that are not useful for the user are now hidden.
    So it will look something like this:

Stay tuned!

30. elizeusz

elizeusz

Hi Samb :) I have problem this is first time when i run my aplication on android and use joystick function. Walking is working fine but my button for run is working only when i am going to right but when i am going left and hit button for run no action... and i dont know why... And i have problem with jump button too i am sure that i did all what You in Your example scene :D If You know what i am doing wrong then tell me :)

31. elizeusz

elizeusz

I open Your 2d game on my android device and everything is working fine :) after that i open Your 3d project and situation is simillar to this in my project You can walk but no jump glide and fire attack is working...

32. elizeusz

elizeusz

My mistake in Your 3d project jump attack and glide is working fine i have to look for this once again after work and see what i am doing wrong :)

33. elizeusz

elizeusz

Uff run button working fine and jump one too jeje :D Jum button start working after i set Mobile glid ( jump button to ). Your fall damage is working great for me :) not sure why but when i have long ladder and i am going up my player is hitting to like when he is falling down... anyway your framework is very very good :)

34. elizeusz

elizeusz

Hi Samb :) What do You think to add for this framework in next update?

35. Mars91

Mars91

Can you add 2DToolkit support?

36. Samb88

Samb88

Uff sorry elizeusz that I didn't answer :) Hope everything works now? That falljump and long ladder problem is indeed a bug, will be fixed next release.
    Next up are custom inspectors made with inspector++. P v loon is very cooperative and implemented every feature I need.
    The custom inspectors will have tooltips for every value that you can set, so no more documentation hassle, and also hides vars that you don't need to set. I think especially for new users this will be very helpful. After that I will add some new features :)

@FootprinGames
    Sadly, I don't have 2DToolkit so I really can't add it right now :/ Maybe in the feature, I have to ask the maker of the extension.

37. Mars91

Mars91

A little question:
    If I set can_move to false and then play and set state to idle my animation do not play, why?
    Do not worry I've add 2DToolkit support on my own but when you'll do it I will be really happy to use your method ;)

38. Samb88

Samb88

Hmm I don't habe that probleme in the testscene. But I will change "can_move" in the next release. Can_moe should just say if the player reacts to user input. The new "player freeze" will freeze everything, so you can use it with a cutscene edtor.

So I don't know whats exactly wrong, try it in the ragesplinetextscene, is there also no idle animation?

39. elizeusz

elizeusz

Yes Samb for me everything is working great :) Option for crouch will be very good i think.

40. sleekdigital

sleekdigital

I agree, an option for crouch is vital.

Is there a way to set a max fall speed?

My character is moving slightly to the left when I jump, even though there is no left or right input. I'm not sure why the character isn't jumping straight up. Any thoughts?

41. Samb88

Samb88

A quick reminder: There are only three days left of the sale! So hurry up, if you wanna save some bucks!

@sleekdigital
    Is a gamepad connected to your pc? If not, check the jump_force value, x and z should be zero.

42. sleekdigital

sleekdigital

Ah yes, I must have been playing with the force settings, thanks!.

How about the max fall speed? I'm finding that my character sometimes falls through colliders when falling really fast. I was thinking maybe setting a max fall speed could fix that, or maybe there is a better solution?

43. janio

janio

How I can discover my invoice number? I cannot find it.

44. Samb88

Samb88

@sleekdigital
    There should be a "max_fall_speed" value in the playerJumping component.. If not then there surely will be one in the next release, coming in two days! :)

@janio
    Check your mails for your mail for your recipe from unity. In the mail, you will find a invoice as an pdf. And in the invoice, you will find your invoice number! If you lost the mail from unity please send me a PM.

45. BCEmcke

BCEmcke

Hi,
    I was trying to buy the 2d Jump'n'Run Framework but the price was at $20. Is there something that I have to do to get the discount? (Don't want to sound greedy.)
    BCEmcke

Edit: Just saw that you are from Hamburg as well. Moin Moin. :)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2012
  46. elizeusz

elizeusz

Before price was 30 dolars :)

47. BCEmcke

BCEmcke

I feel so stupid. Thanks, man. :(
    Gonna buy it tonight.

48. elizeusz

elizeusz

bad feelings, don't worry about that :)

49. Samb88

Samb88

Ok, P v loon sent me the latest inspector++ version, means I will finish the latest update.
    So only a few hours left for the sale, hurry up! :)

50. parnell

parnell

Hey Samb do i need to email you the serial number during the sale timeline to get mega items for free? I bought this pack ages ago:)
    Thanks!
    B