Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Released] 2D Jump'n'Run Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Samb88, May 23, 2011.

1. SlySly

SlySly

Hey Cosmas,

That's sound good! I'm interesting by. I think you can suggest your modification to Samb88.
    Nice work, I really want to see that!

2. Cosmas

Cosmas

Has anyone successfully reduced the player health with 3d prefabs? My enemies attack but nothing happens within the damage radius. I'm starting to think this framework isn't really well suited for 3d models.

3. Samb88

Samb88

The playergraphic is a collissionless object, so it has nothing to do with it. The 3DPrefab isn't up to date (but will be in the next update) so if you're using the 3DPlayer prefab then please try to copy the 2DPlayer and exchange the 2DAnimation with the 3DAnimation compinent and assign the 3D model to the graphic pointer of player movement. The next update will be ready next week. Sorry to anyone who have trouble with 3D objects!

4. parnell

parnell

Also, any idea on when you might get to a grappling hook type device? I'm trying to get my own working to no avail (i think this could be beyond my current skill level). However, I did get laser beams working:) woo!
    B

5. Samb88

Samb88

Hey guys,
    the wedding of my sister is done and now I have some more time on my hand. I will make the templates as quickly as possible so you can have some fun ideas to play around!
    I'm sorry for the "silenceness" the last days, but so much is happening right now!

@modeling_man
    Maybe after the next update, I did one before and it wasn't that hard if you know what to do :)

6. SlySly

SlySly

Hey Samb88 have you got any website for the framework or something else? It can be cool to have a sort of bilboard about what you working on, or what's plan for next update? It can be cool, and it can prevent us to spam you about that. :)

7. parnell

parnell

Ha! Awesome to hear. I was just going to bump this thread but looks like I don't need to.
    So just to make sure this next update will have the updated 3D prefab? You mentioned in a previous post it would.
    So templates and a 3D prefab for the next update? End of this week?? :)
    I'm psyched!!
    B

8. parnell

parnell

So just to make sure the 3D prefab will allow us to load in our own 3D animations (much like the 2D animation prefab)??
    B

9. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

here's a nice game that has similar controls, but it feels much faster than what I can do in the framework, can anyone help me getting a faster response from the physics? and it has some nice ideas that would be nice for the framework, like kick the enemy.

and I also like to see a function to drop the player from the sky, like in this game and in mario galaxy.
    like press down to drop on an enemy with more force

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  10. S0ULART

S0ULART

I suppose its just a thing of animation/sprites that let you do any movement. but would be nice to have some basic examples to orientate on.
    the dash and the stomp attack in this game are nice but how about changing speed/gravity and customize or build your own player controller from scratch?
    would love to see possibilities to build controls like sonic, megaman, meatboy, little fighter or even smash bros.

11. parnell

parnell

you can check the enemy's script as it has a 'melee' attack of sorts.
    Also, when the enemy attacks the player the player has force applied to it. So technically those two examples can be combined to create a kick attack and a downward thrust.
    B

12. parnell

parnell

Update?
    :)
    B

13. Samb88

Samb88

Heyho, I'm working on it right now. I had to help a friend of mine with his project so his company can finish their first game :)
    Right now I make a example of how to make a "faster" player with just some variable settings. It's really just highen up all vars like speed, jump power and (very important) the jump_force. Well, the jump_force needs to be lower...

So yeah, after that is the 3D prefab.

Oh, and a question modeling_man. What exactly do you mean by load in the animation? Something like draging in the animationClip of a figure?

14. parnell

parnell

Thanks for heads up:)
    As for the animation stuff I was wondering if the 3D prefab would offer blending animation support (ie: shooting while running, picking up an object having it attach to the characters hand (bone) and walking around with it).
    Also, if the prefab will easily allow for adding new animation sequences, and yes drag/drop in animations like how I overwrote your 2D sprite animations with my own:)
    That make sense?
    thanks again
    B

15. Samb88

Samb88

Hey all, 1.6 ist submitted to the store.

You can test it here: http://www.gamingclerks.de/temp/jumperframework.html

The sad news is, that I updated the 3D Prefab so it uses the same scripts but could'nt improve it (except adding a blending mode). I will work on a 2.5D platformer starting in one or two weeks, it uses a 3D player model and I will use the framework for the game. So next update will fokus on polish the Animation3D component.

Also: When this framework is completed, the price will be raised a last time. I'm going to say that 1.9 will be the last feature-rich update, After that is only bug fixing and optimizing. I will work on Version 2.0 later this year and just want to thank you all for your great support! All of you will get the 2.0 update very cheap (like 5$ or 10$). But before that I will work on a new script/editor for the asset store, to learn some things before I will make V2.0.

I'll keep you guys updated! Oh and yes, getting the framework now will be cheaper in the end as waiting for version 2.0 :) Don't be afraid that it will be released tomorrow or something. I won't be finished this year.

16. parnell

parnell

Great work! Samb88 any idea on when you think the Animation3d Component would be done? Does 1.6 contain the blending mode? Or is that something that'll come out in the updated Animation3D component? What do you mean you couldn't improve it?

Sorry for all the questions.
    The templates are a great idea and really help people see the potential of this kit.
    Thanks so much for all your hardwork!
    B

17. Samb88

Samb88

Hi modeling_man,
    it's just the way how the animations will switch. In 1.6 you can switch between hard switch or blending. I couldn't improve it because I have no way to test it or learn more about the unity animation system. Hopefully, next week I will begin developing the mentioned game and learn everything I need :) Then I will release the update as soon as possible!!

18. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

@Samb88
    For real the best framework out there !
    Question: is possible to implement a Megaman type of slide in the walls and jump, i mean infinite jump.
    Because at the moment if the player loose the trigger he fall and need to restart the jump sequence.
    Many thanks in advance.
    A little tip why you don`t put a SUPPORT VIA PAYPAL BUTTON or something like this on your site ?

19. Samb88

Samb88

hey keeptrying,
    do you mean that you can climb up a wall by wall jumping against it? Because that would be no problem... rotate_in_air=true; min_speed_for_walljump=0;walljump_speed=something-small; walljump_up_power=something-big;

Yeah, a support paypal button would be nice.. have to finish the website :)

20. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

@Samb88
    Good to know, thanks.

21. playground

playground

interesting Game.I will to play it today.

22. Samb88

Samb88

The update is in the asset store right now! Get it and play a bit around :)

23. parnell

parnell

Yea!
    I just updated great work!
    I like the forcetrigger stuff you did. With a little tweaking this should work for diagonal jump pads:)

So with the 3D prefab. Can I just make 3D animations for the missing animations and they'll work? So like when sliding slop stuff, a different animation for the wall grab. Is it as easy to edit as the 2D? I realize blending isn't working but even if I can just use looping 3D animations like the 2D prefab I'll be ok for now until the blending 3D character comes out. I did notice something strange with the fireball for the 3D character it only seemed to want to shoot to the left, even if I was facing right. Also, can the split screen work with dual controllers? Does it work with mobile? If so how?
    Also, the doodlejump template...the ability to jump through platforms is that an easy setup to apply to all platforms?

Thanks again
    B

24. Samb88

Samb88

Hey modeling_man,
    yes, you can add the missing animation names and it should work just fine. If you find problems with that just say anything and I will look into it :) But it SHOULD work.

25. parnell

parnell

Excellent I'll test it out tonight!
    Thanks again this is great.
    Can't wait for the next update.

Does this work on IOS5? I'm planning to pick up my Ipad and all the devkit stuff and start testing this.
    B

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  26. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Please don't charge for the 2.0 update, just raise the normal price and keep updates free.

27. SlySly

SlySly

Yea, I agree with Lars. Usually asset have a cost and does,'t charge more after update. Like others asset, I suggest you to let's it free for person who already buy it, and raise the price of your asset for person who want buy it after update.
    It's like, the more features you have in your asset the more you can charge, but not for person who already spend money.
    It's just my opinion :)

28. mikevanman

mikevanman

love the update no problems so far, just wondering can anyone recommend any 3D characters from the asset store ideally with roughly corresponding animations (or even a set of .bip files)

29. Japi

Japi

Samb88, just bought your framework. Really nice framework. One improvement came to my head, when I was testing the framework a bit, an option for variable jump height. For example if the player holds down the jump button, the character would jump a bit higher than if player would just tap quickly the jump button. And by the way is there a variable for how steep uphills the character can run up.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  30. Japi

Japi

Any advice how to make an enemy on which the player could stand top of. I combined the enemy and the platform. Basically I just added the platform to the enemy, and changed the code so that the player's transform is parented to the platform. And also removed that the enemy doesn't die, when jumping from above and the player doesn't bounce of the enemy. But still the player falls of the enemy, when the enemy is moving. And I have checked that the parenting works while running, but it still keeps falling of. So I wanted to ask, if I am forgeting something simple that I am not noticing.

31. Cosmas

Cosmas

I would simply add another game object underneath the enemy prefab, then in it place a very thin and small collider.

But back to the topic, any news on better 3D animation support?

32. Samb88

Samb88

@Japi
    Hmmmm well, a good way would be to add the same velocity of the enemy to the player. So if the enemy is moving right with velocity.x= 2 the player should be velocity.x=player_speed+2

I will see if I can add something like that!

33. parnell

parnell

Sup Samb88!
    Any word on when we'll see the next update?
    Ver 2.0? You need money? I'll pay:)
    Keep it up!
    B

34. Samb88

Samb88

Hey all,
    as I was going to implement swimming I really came across some bad code lines I just need to fix. So please give me some time so revamp some of the code. It will make modifying and updating much easier and faster. Also, I heard that mobile deployment is broken right now, I will check that coming week!
    If you have any other problems be free to ask.
    Thanks!

35. parnell

parnell

Yikes! Broken mobile!?? I JUST bought IOS Basic last night to test this all out.
    Doh!
    Thanks for the update:)
    I can't wait for version 2.0!
    B

36. k3ch0ng

k3ch0ng

Are the scripts in c# ?

37. parnell

parnell

Actually, so I got my IOS basic for Unity. I got version 1.5 of this framework running great as well as the penelope demo..only snag is I don't know how to get the mobile controls to show up like Saamb88 is showing early in this thread. Is there something I need to do in the framework so that it shows up? I'm new to IOS development so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    B

38. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

@modeling_man

See how to in page 16 of documentation !

Assets\2DJumpNRunFramework\Manual\documentation.pdf

To test this, go to the RageSpline testlevel, activate the
    „mobile_input“ boolean of the playerMovement script of 2DPlayer and activate
    the gameObjects and childrens of „Mobile_Setup“. The testlevel is now ready to
    be played on mobile platforms!
    In the script-folder, you will find the „Joystick“ script. This is a modified version
    of the one from unity. It's now able to create buttons too and got some more
    functions like emulate the „ButtonDown“ function of the Input namespace.
    Use „freeze_position“ to freeze the joystick and make it more like a button.
    Hint: Please delete all assetstore files before publishing, to prevent errors.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  39. parnell

parnell

Thank you so much! I feel like an idiot for not rereading the documentation. I blame my blind excitement to publish and test things on my iPad since getting IOS Basic.
    Thanks again.
    B

Update:
    Got it to work! Works great on my iPad Ver 2.0 I'm using ver 1.5 of the framework I'll test out 1.6 later tonight.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  40. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

@modeling_man
    No problem bro, just make it happens XD.

41. Yippie

Yippie

Good job, you should add some fighting/shooting features though :D

42. Samb88

Samb88

Hi all,
    first of all: I'm very sorry that I let you all in the dark the past few weeks.
    I had a lot troubles and now there is a case of death, so yeah, I can't get myself to program anything . But I will try to get back on track with this framework in january, adding more fighting styles and swimming.

I hope that your trust in this framework isn't broken or anything! As a thanks, I will smoothly get to the 2.0 version I speaked of without any extra charged. So hopefully, in a few month you all can work easier with a lot of extra editor tools :)

That's it for now! Happy holidays and merry christmas everyone! I will post again in a few weeks!

-Samb

43. ItsSinclair

ItsSinclair

Hey Samb88,

I just bought the framework 10 mins ago on the strength of the demos and the quality of your support here. Rest Easy.

While Samb88 is away dealing with real life issues, could anyone tell me if there is a way to set this up to work something like Canabalt, or Hook Worlds - where the character is running and without need for user input?

44. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Dont worry Samb88, just solve your personal problems and God bless you.
    Happy holidays -

45. RHD

RHD

Hi,
    Looks wonderful!
    How hard would it be to add my own 3D animation/character in place of the two D animation? (I'm a minimal scriptor at this point!)
    Thanks,
    Happy Christmas!

46. RHD

RHD

Oops sorry, didn't read the last page until I'd posted. Best wishes Samb88 and sorry for your loss.

47. parnell

parnell

My condolences Saamb88.
    Hope to hear from you soon when you are good and ready.
    Happy Holidays and best wishes.
    B

48. Samb88

Samb88

Hey all!
    Thanks to everybody! I have a bit time today so I will answer the two questions :)

@ItsSinclair
    You can fake the input (like the virutal analogstick script) or wait for the next update in january. I thought of something like that and will add that functionality!

@RHD
    It depends, 2D is a bit annoying because unity can't add multiple files in one array, so you have to drag'n'drop every single animation frame. 3D is a bit simpler, you can find a 3DPlayer prefab in the ragespline testscene!

Hope you all had a great holiday and best wishes to you all for 2012! Let's make 2012 the best year ever! :]

49. RHD

RHD

Thanks Samb88 I will have a shot at making a 3D character!
    Happy New Year!

50. RHD

RHD

Hi,
    Happy New Year!

What is the Dead Zone?

Thank you, terrific framework!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012