Search Unity

[Released] 2D Jump'n'Run Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Samb88, May 23, 2011.

1. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

2. SlySly

SlySly

Dam, that's good! Impressive!
    I am actually thinking about a platformer game, Flashback style. Do you think it's a good for this type of game?
    Second question: If i buy it now, do I will have access to update or you need to paid again? Is your futur AI system will be in same 2D jump'n'Run framework or it will be an other framework?
    You make me hesitate because I wanted to buy Sprite manager, and it's very expensive! Your framework is very low price, seem to be complet, and you are open for new idea and suggestions for impovre it!
    For now, I want to say good job man!

Slysly
    PS: I love you character style :)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  3. Samb88

Samb88

Hey Slysly
    thank you, I'm very happy that you like it :)
    Sadly I have to say that Flashback is more of an Side-Scroller shooter with some sneaky elements. The Framework is more for your basic Jump'n'Run like Mario or Rayman, where correct jumping and getting trough a level is the main goal. I will add some shooting elements later but I still think, that this framework won't be the best for a flashback type of game. If you're a good coder you can, of course, change my basic code and make something flashback like :)

All updates are free!
    The Ai system is more like a a "simple Ai" system for basic enemies for a platformer game, nothing fancy but it will be handy :)

Hope I answered all your questions. If you have an request just say it, next version is nearly done :)

4. SlySly

SlySly

Thanks for your reply!
    Oh, I always concidarate more flashback as an Action/Adventure/Platformer. When I said flashbakc style I mean more run and climb like in it. And you are right for the action style: it's more specific. So I just mean to have a movement jump/climbing system like in flashback. For my game i just need a basic attack system.

So for me what it can be cool is:

-Attack system (melee and gun)
    -Crouch/couch walk
    -To have the possibility to clim edge (like in... flashback :) After wall jump it can be cool
    -AI system, but like you said it's in your plans
    -Slide on ground after run (not for my project but it can be cool!)
    -Dynamic rope (moving when the player is using it)

Maybe my list is long, and I do not demanding that to you to do all this suggestions, but I hope it will give you new ideas!
    Thanks
    SlySly

5. Samb88

Samb88

Hey Slysly, I will look into your wishes after the upcoming release. Some of them shoud be possible but I can't promise them :)

6. SlySly

SlySly

Ok, you convinced me, I bought it :)
    And it's very cool. I will check what I can do for my project with it.
    Thank you for your follow-up! I can't wait to see next update!

7. Samb88

Samb88

@Slysly
    Thanks for your support! :)

Introducing... "Knabber"
    "Knabber", german for something like "nibbler" oder "biter", is a basic enemy that I created like.. 4 or 5 years ago. It's to it's day, like the player figure, the same project file, so looks the same as those years ago!
    He is kinda like my gumba, he walks around, change direction if he hits something and if he sees the player, he shows like a "shock" and runs towards him!

I program this simpleAi to be as lightweight as possible (for me). And it looks like I haven't done the baddest job ;)

Update will be ready later this or earlier next week!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011
  8. SlySly

SlySly

Awesome to the max! Can't wait! :)

9. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

LOL nice army you got !

10. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Hey Samb88 first of all i`m NOOB programmer and i was thinking HOW you have made your code MOBILE COMPATIBLE because when you try to deploy the 1.2 version you got tons of errors like the component X is not part of Unity... or something like this.
    I don`t know if exists a REFERENCE showing what kind of code is MOBILE COMPATIBLE and what is NOT what i want is to convert some PC game into a mobile game any help are very welcome many thanks in advance sr.

11. Samb88

Samb88

Hey KeepTrying,
    you have to program your code so it will work on mobile devices, thats why 1.3 was a bigger release.. or a +0.1 release :)

A way to see why your code won't work is to check the error procuding line line and compare,. for example, the code of version 1.3 with the exact same situation. Then you should see what's different.

12. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Hey SamB88, Looking forward to new release. What is the east trick to replacing the character?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  13. Samb88

Samb88

Just duplicate the 2DPlayer prefab and change the images for the animations. That should be the easiest way :) If you have troubles just let me know, I'm glad to help!

14. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Ok thanks i have saved the 1.2 package to see what you have changed. No reference manual so i use your trick.

15. Samb88

Samb88

Hey all,
    Version 1.4 will be online tomorrow (01.08). Have to write the docs for the new features.
    It features a simple health and enemy system, that should be robust enough for most games.
    If you wanna test out the new version you can do it here: http://www.bysamb.de/unity/jumperframework.html

Have fun!

16. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Hey Son You Still Rocking ! Can`t Wait To Get On This !

17. Samb88

Samb88

Hey all, just want to inform you that 1.4 is online (since yesterday :) ) Going to make a trailer tomorrow, but you can have fun right now! I wanna see a arena full of enemies!

18. SlySly

SlySly

I tested it, and it's worked fine! You've done a good work because it's easy to change enemy states, field of view, basic reaction etc... I love it!

Can we know what's your next plans for the new version?
    I know that I suggest to you some new stuff that you can add to the framework, but like you did it's cool for now to work on basics things, steps by steps. I don't know if it's hard to do this, but I saw the sprite manager asset and it's cool because it managed the sprites with atlas and it's a good system especialy for optimization.
    Anyway, it's an idea and I know it's easy to shoot lot's of ideas but I hope it will inspire you for next update :)

19. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Nicely done again ! Only what i need is time to draw and animate something to deploy the next game hit XD !
    I`m working in a game using Corona SDK so, Too Busy ! Still watching your great framework.

20. Curious

Curious

Is this compatible with SM2?

21. SlySly

SlySly

I think each assets are not compatible together because they didn't be made by same developers. But I guess it's not impossible if someone work on making compatible two different assets.

22. bralexlabs

bralexlabs

Hey there!

I wanted to shout out and let you know I'm using this on a project. :) Great framework, it's making the prototyping of my game almost excessively easy!

Thanks for the hard work and the superb toolkit.

23. bralexlabs

bralexlabs

I've thought the same thing, since I also have Sprite Manager 2. I think it would make more sense to use the RNJ framework for jumpy-type platforming games, and use the SM2 for more top-down non-jumpy games, or more generic sprite uses, like backgrounds and set pieces.

On the other hand, that timeline editor and animation management is VERY nice. You could just use the RNJ player object, delete all the animation frames, and use it as the controller for an SM2 sprite. Don't see why that would be terribly difficult.

Of course, you'll be weighing down your game with two slightly redundant frameworks instead of one. It's up to you, though.

24. Corelianer

Corelianer

Hi Everyone

I'm new with unity and into game development, tried a liddle with cocos2d for Iphone before, but it took verry long to make simple things. I switched to unity, because you can transfer it to several platforms. I bought the framework too, because I wana do a 2D game. As a single developer a 3D game would be too much to create a game by miself, so 2D is more a world where I can bring a project to the end.

I have two questions that would really bring me forward, if I have them solved:

Unaccurate displaying in Scene mode
    I'm talking about unity 3.4.0f5. When I'm in the front view of the testscene of 2D jump'n'Run Framework and I try to zoom in to look to the different objects closer, some objects disappear. When I zoom back out I can see them again. That's verry annoying, Is there a way to get around this? Am I the only one with this problem, then I could check my display drivers or so?

Animate 2D characters
    Are there helpfull tools to make 2D Characters and the animations from them that you use?
    Or is it just hard work playing with Photoshop and Illustrator.

Thank you

25. p6r

p6r

* Click twice on an object in the hierarchy panel and you will be able to zoom in and out to look to it.

* Anime Studio for 2D creation and animation of your sprites ! (3D is now possible with the last version but it isn't the best tool for that !)
    Daz Studio 3 (free or advanced) for 3D or 2D creation and animation of your sprites !
    I can do this kind of animations or pictures with a trick I have found for Daz Studio (without using the bad cartoon render !) :

6R

26. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Fantastic, would love to see your workflow with this.

27. Corelianer

Corelianer

Thank you verry much!

28. p6r

p6r

29. parnell

parnell

Buying this tonight.
    I love it!!!
    Can you explain how to load in 3D meshes into the player? Or is that pre-rendered 3D?
    Can't wait for the updates either!!
    B

30. bralexlabs

bralexlabs

This isn't really the right thread to ask these questions, since they're more about the Unity Editor, 3D fundamentals, and content creation tools than the RNJ Framework in particular. I PM'd you.

31. SlySly

SlySly

I agree with bralexlabs, let's go back to 2D Jump'n'Run Framework.
    Samb88 I can't wait to know your next plan for the 2D framework :)

32. parnell

parnell

Hey Samb
    So i bought this and love it.
    Right now I'm dissecting all the goods and it's fairly easy to figure out.
    One thing I noticed was making the nibbler squish down like a Goomba from Super Mario.
    I was able to make the edit the graphic to appear it's squished down, however the collision area stays the same so the character looks like he is floating in the air.
    Anyway, to fix that?

A couple things I'd like to see in future releases.
    smaller requests:
    grabbing onto ledges
    picking up and moving/throwing objects (think super mario 2)
    crouching
    rolling/sliding (think Mega Man 3)
    simple shooting (Mega Man or Mario Fire Balls)
    prolonged idle animations (think Sonic when he looks at the camera after a long time idling)

larger requests:
    inventory system (think keys, or ways to upgrade your weapons/character)
    door/quest system (or perhaps get this to work with Playmaker? Or does this work with Playmaker?)
    save game/checkpoints

It might be cool to post what we should expect in future releases so we can work around incoming features.

thanks again for this great kit!
    B

Additional Notes/Bugs:
    AI enemy won't stick to a vertically moving platform. Instead it bounces around causing it to fall off the moving platform even with triggers applied.
    AI enemy even with physics applied won't react/bounce on the jumppads ( i noticed there were left out of the code) might not hurt to add that in:)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  33. SlySly

SlySly

If you select your Player, you can see the cylinder who manager the colision. It's possible to move it. And in the player properties, There is something you can change for re-size/scale it. I don't remember exactly what but if you search you will find it.

34. parnell

parnell

So on death you could scale down the collision size of the enemy?
    Is that what you mean?

35. SlySly

SlySly

Yep, it's possible I guess because I succeed to do this for the player. It's not possible to give you more details on how to do this for now because I'm at my job. But it you search in this direction you will find.

36. Haircut

Haircut

I am in the process of converting it to C#. Would you be interested in the result?

37. eioie

eioie

How do I set the player's movement that climb a slope.
    the player can climb a slope in 30 degree. but cannot climb in 40 degree.
    How do I set the value??

p.s : I don't speak in english well. please understand me. ^^

38. bralexlabs

bralexlabs

Actually, I was about to ask this question, too! I have a "cartoonish" game project I'm working on that requires the possibility of "running" up a near-90 degree slope. I don't think the default 2D player prefab will work for my purposes, because it uses a Rigidbody component to achieve its gravity and other physical interactions.

The ridigbody model is meant to approximate a "realistic" kind of physics. I don't know about your project, but for mine, I'll probably have to use a custom script to both approximate gravity and allow me to run up a slope like this.

Does anyone know of some example code I could look at to help me along the way?

39. parnell

parnell

UnityException: Tag: climbable is not defined!
    This error causes Unity to lock up if I choose to try to play the game in the editor from the Scene tab.

also I was getting a boost object error which in the editor would make the game pause right as the character would go into boost run.
    By deleting the boost object that allowed the game to play without pause...just no boost graphic.

Thoughts? I've tried everything I could think of...the weird this is this bug just showed up a couple hours ago and I'm completely baffled. I've deleted all previous projects, and uninstalled and reinstalled and the bug it still there.
    B

40. Samb88

Samb88

Hey all, I'm very sorry that I couldn't answer your questions in the last days, I'm very busy with a project and wasnt at home for like 2 weeks. I'm now on the games convention "gamescom" in cologne. I'll be back at saturday to start working again on the framework and answer every question you have! Thanks for your patience!

But for modeling_man, because it's serious for you.
    I think the boos_graphic isn't assigned. Select the 2D Player and look out for that variable in PlayerMovement. Then assign the "boost_graphic" prefab to it.
    The climbable error means, that there isnt a tag definied with that name. Click on an object, then at the top of the inspector, click on the tag and choose "add tag" there you can add a tag with the name "climbable". please make sure, that you add a tag! (it's an array, you have to pben it) and not a layer!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  41. parnell

parnell

Awesome! Thanks Samb!
    I JUST figured out the tag error last night before I went to bed(i have no idea why my package without the ladders setup that way...it's weird too because I don't remember it working that way when I first downloaded it)
    I'll make the fix to the boost as well.

Also, any idea on when we'll see an version update? picking up objects/mobs (Super Mario 2 style)? shooting?
    Hope you had a good time at gamescon.
    peace!
    B

42. Samb88

Samb88

Hey all,
    I'm back home and will continue to work on the framework tomorrow. I'm not exactly sure what the next thing will be. Maybe I experiment a bit and we will see what comes out of it.

At this point:
    thanks again for all who buyed this framework and supported me! I hope you all have fun with it :)

43. Samb88

Samb88

Hm, I read the forum and saw that unity dropped the paypal option. That's really... dumb... Ok so I will start working on the webpage tomorrow so you guys can still buy the framework with paypal. I know, that without paypal many won't AND can't buy something from the assetstore... just like myself!

44. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

Good news: You are back on streets !
    Bad news: Unity dropped PayPal maybe they want to go up with Bank of America.

Maybe you experiment a bit of Super Mario World, Sonic, LittleBigPlanet, Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong and FFXIII to unlock your creativity !
    Choose you destiny XD.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  45. parnell

parnell

Samb88 welcome back!
    I've made a bunch of headway on my project. Reading up on the unity3dstudent.com has helped a ton;)
    I got the boost to work! I had to change the var for boost_graphic from Transform to GameObject in the playermovement.js. It works now but I'm a little worried I got it to work at the expense of something else.

One other question with the boost. When I boost with a button does that speed/force get applied as well when I jump in the air? Or is the boost speed only applied while I'm in the sprint animation?

Another issue is the jump pad script doesn't seem to like to work with 45 degree angled blocks. I noticed this when I tried making a jump pad and rotated it to 45 degrees.

Things I'd be SUPER pumped to see:
    picking up objects
    collecting/storing items (ie: coins, rings, keys)
    grappling hooks, swinging vines
    grabbing ledges
    teleporters
    sharpening up the hit/collision detection I've noticed it to be a bit spotty (maybe it's a unity thing?)

A bit off topic and definitely waaay down the road. However, this would be great to make an in-game level editor that makes levels that people can make without unity.
    I recently saw this with
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/100948-Insane-2.5-Platformer-Project-Stormos

super excited for the next update!
    peace
    B

46. Zharzeu

Zharzeu

I have a project that I am in the planning phases of (a side scroller adventure for mobiles) and this framework would be perfect to get me started. I have a few questions though. Do you plan on adding:

• Save / Checkpoint system?
    • Inventory / Held Weapon system?
    • Health / Death system?
    • Upgradable Stats and Abilities?

Or are these things easy to add using other components? I am new to Unity, but I have years of game implementation experience (game / level design and art, but just not programming experience).

So far this framework looks great; it would be good to know what you plan on adding next as this could save me a lot of time and hassle. :)

Thanks!

47. parnell

parnell

There already is a health system of sorts in the player scripts. Damage from the enemies is set at 25. Are you looking for prefab items that would add back health? Or a graphical display of the characters current health(ie: Link's Hearts in Zelda?)
    BTW: Unity3dstudent.com is a great place to learn the basics in scripting. I watched a ton of the videos and it's helped a ton.
    B

48. Zharzeu

Zharzeu

Yeah, for the Health system, that is exactly what I was thinking. Some sort bar or 'hearts' type thing would work.. or even numbers 450/500. Essentially it is all the same type of thing.

Other things, like Title Screen, Save Slot and Inventory Screen, I would assume I would just use another GUI component. Are there any that are available in the store, or anywhere really, that you think would work well with this framework?

Thanks for the link to the Unity 3d student page. I will definitely go through their tutorials and stuff. :)

49. p6r

p6r

I have a 2D character with shadows (drawn directly on it !)...
    I would like to know if and how I can change the animation pictures for left or right direction.
    Shadows wil be on the other side on my character if I draw it looking to the left otr to the right. (Do you understand what I mean !?!)

6R

50. parnell

parnell

Ya I'm running into the same problem with my character...however my plan was to go to a 3D mesh once I get the game play all figured out.
    Would be nice to have that option to mirror left/right sprites or use unique left/right facing sprites.
    BTW I got a working coin script that attaches to the character and posts the current number collected on the screen.
    I figured Saamb88 would do his own but just in case, Saamb88 if you are interested in using my script just let me know and I'll pm it to you.
    It was super easy to setup.
    peace!
    B