Search Unity

[Released] 2D Jump'n'Run Framework

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Samb88, May 23, 2011.

1. Samb88

Samb88

Hey everybody!
    I made a few Jump'n'Runs over the last years with Unity and so I decided to make a framework from the ground up, so that anybody can use it to make their dream jump'n'run.

TEST THE CURRENT VERSION HERE (V1.63) http://www.bysamb.de/unity/jumper/demo.html

Unity Asset Story Link: http://u3d.as/content/by-samb/2d-jump-n-run-framework/1Rw
    10$ off till 06.June!!! Get the Pick Up Items Mega Pack for free, if you bought the framework before 25. May! Just send me an E-Mail with your invoice number to admin(at)bysamb.de!

Some key features that are in the current version:
    - Intregated Xbox360 (and any other) Controller support! Plug in your controller and start playing!
    - Fully animated Jumpman, so you can start right now to create your levels and get to the animation stuff later!
    - You want multijumps? A "run" button? No sliding? Less/more air control? No problem! Adjust the parameters and do your own thing!
    - Easy trigger based camera system!
    - Simple animation system to set up your animations! Should they loop? Be faster? Maybe there is a animation you want to play after that?

The most important part of a jump'n'run is the playablitity, so I will develop a game with this system, so you guys can be sure that this pack will be complete and get new updates!

If you have any ideas of what you want in this framework then just say it. I'm open minded and very glad about every feedback :)

Have a good day!
    - Samb

Trailer for V1.1

Trailer V1.2

Trailer V1.3

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  2. daviddsotp

daviddsotp

Hey everything sounds great and definitely interested in being an early adopter.

Just a couple of questions :

- Is it possible to have a slide out of the run animation ?
    - Maybe a simple melee attack ?

So far sounds great and I look forward to hearing more !

Last edited: May 23, 2011
  3. p6r

p6r

Very interesting...
    Wait and see.
    Could we ask you for any options more if needed after buying !?!

6R

4. Samb88

Samb88

Hi DaviDSOTP,
    you're totally right, I forgot to mention the planned attacking system, thanks :)

What do you mean exactly by "slide out of the run animation"? You mean a different animation if you stop pressing a direction while in running mode? If so then I will build that in right now. If not then I will built it in anyway ;)

@p6r
    Of cource! If it makes sense to implement a new element I will implement it (if I can).

5. daviddsotp

daviddsotp

Yeah exactly. : )

Also 2d placeholders for each animation would be great but I think you're already doing that so if thats the case great !

The local multiplayer also sounds like a blast.

6. p6r

p6r

Nice, Samb88...
    Let me know when it is released...
    Could you add a video of your old game or a video of the game you want to include !?!

6R

7. Samb88

Samb88

@DaviDSOTP
    It's in! And yes, there are placeholder for any kind of animation included :)

@p6r
    Of course! But even better, you can play it!
    http://www.gamingclerks.de/?page_id=610
    Choose "Jump'n'Score" at the beginning. The Tutorial is in english, so you better play it ;)
    That was more like a highscore game. The game I will be makin' is a bit more adventure style like mario world or rayman1 ! But you can see how the enemy placeholder will look like ;)

8. alexdcampos

alexdcampos

Really nice @Samb88
    I'm awaiting the release.

9. p6r

p6r

Very good !!!
    Javascript or C# ?

6R

10. Samb88

Samb88

@alexdcampos
    Thanks! Hope you will like it :)

@p6r
    Everything is written in JS. But maybe in a later version I will convert it to C#, if there is any interest in that,

11. p6r

p6r

NO ! It's perfect for me in JS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
    Is there a highscore with player names and scores to save on the Web AND for standalone games ????????

6R

12. Samb88

Samb88

A highscore system will not be in this package anytime, sorry! BUT if someone posts a highscore system in the asset store I will look into that and make sure, that both systems will work together! For now, everything that has to do with the control and gameplay got the highest priority, after that comes the bonus stuff :)

13. Migueljb

Migueljb

Can you make it to have iphone controls as well. So a developer could have both options right off the bat to have his game he creates with this to be ported easy to iphone as well. Really would be great to make this be 2.5 compatible as well.
    Every great fun platformer needs the basics to be in place first.
    - Running, walking, jumping down solid
    - Start screen options, Play the game, Collect things, Die, Game over screen, Do it all over again
    - Simple AI enemy to hit, jump on, shoot or any devious way of getting rid of the enemy on the screen.

Fun simple things like this. Once the basics all work and a developer can drag in his own GUI screens to start, Replace your character with his, bring in his own animations, bring in own enemies and it all works with simple variable/asset changing then this would really be a great framework for artists such as myself to work with. There's really no 2d/2.5 frameworks out there besides the lerpz tutorial but its lacking in many many areas for someone to be able to use it. So please continue and well be waiting to get our hands on this and use it.

-Miguel

14. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hope for a csharp version but will buy it also with jscript´s.

15. Samb88

Samb88

@M_Stolley
    Good to hear, thanks :)

@Miguel
    YES! Thats totally what I want to do.
    And I would love to implement iPhone/Android controls, sadly I don't have a license for that. But I will use the gained money to buy one! Then it's only a matter of time :)
    2.5D will come with the 3D model animation system. So it will be possible very soon :)
    But yeah, your vision of the framework matches mine!

16. daviddsotp

daviddsotp

I was thinking also an option of speed up , like if a character is running in a straight line without stop for lets say 5 seconds it actived a secondary run animation and increases speed even further. That'd be a great option for those making more speed oriented platformers.

17. Samb88

Samb88

@DavidSTOP
    Nice idea, going to put it in :)

Platforms are almost ready. A really simple, but stable solution. Next up is the respawning and cleaning up the code with more comments. After that I make a description what variable does what and release it out to you guys, so you can start experimenting!

18. pixellegolas

pixellegolas

looks really good! I have a speedrun game in thoughts so will check this out more

19. alexdcampos

alexdcampos

It will be compatible with Unity (indie) and/or Pro?

20. Samb88

Samb88

Updated the preview build, check it out in the first post!
    Got all features I wanted in the first version, will start now the documentation. If everything goes fine I will submit the version to unity tomorrow.

@pixellegolas
    Sounds great! Keep me informed what you need for that and I'll see what I can do!

@alexdcampos
    I'm developing with pro, but haven't used any pro features for this framework. So it will work in both very well :)

21. alexdcampos

alexdcampos

Nice!
    I'm waiting.

22. daviddsotp

daviddsotp

The 0.5 is awesome : D . Everythings looking so great and I can't wait to get my hands on it developing ! Got some great ideas !

23. p6r

p6r

One word : WOW !!!!!!!

6R

24. alexdcampos

alexdcampos

25. kiranmaya

kiranmaya

26. Samb88

Samb88

@alexdcampos
    But it's true! If I had the time I would put something nice there :D

@kiranmaya
    I'm sorry, but enemy Ai is on medium and shooting on the low priority list. I think we will see the first enemy in like 2 weeks. Before that I will try to perfect the player control and feel.
    Or in other words: First I will complete the oldschool Mario-like feeling, so you guys can go crazy with your level design! Things like climbing, gliding and walljumps are needed because of that.
    After that comes the enemy Ai, with some modes how an enemy should behave (also shooting) and then the player will be able to shoot!

So to everyone, I'm sorry if your most wished feature won't come at first, but I try my best to get the important features done as quickly as I can! I'm just not a person that will add features like crazy and then they barley work. But they will come :)

Starting now the documentation. It will feature a simple "how to set up" and explanation what every script does and what will come in the future for that script file.
    Let's do it!

27. Samb88

Samb88

I'm glad to say, that the first version is submitted to unity and now in pending review process :)
    I've updated the preview with some fixes and tweaks. I will now start to implement new features. Lets'a go!

28. Samb88

Samb88

Sorry for the tripple post ^^'
    The framework is LIVE, or RELEASED, or READY FOR YOU!!!
    10$ and it's yours. But be warned! The price will be higher for the next update. This is my early adopter deal, for everyone who wants to support me :)

29. Raphael Dias

Raphael Dias

Just bought it! Please keep us updated about your progress. Good job!

30. Raphael Dias

Raphael Dias

Let me see if i understood correctly: all updates will be for free, right?

31. Samb88

Samb88

Hi Raphael,
    yes, you're right! Every update will be free!

32. epitom3

epitom3

Hey Samb88,

I just bought it and I've been playing around with it for a bit.

I noticed that the platforms were initially tagged as "plattform" instead of "platform"
    Also, when I changed the main camera to perspective, it started zooming in randomly so I just commented out the
    Aside from those small things, I'm loving what i see!

33. Hakimo

Hakimo

That's amazing!
    For early adopters, do we get the updates later for free or?

34. Samb88

Samb88

@epitom
    Thanks for the support! Yes, the plat(t)form thing was a problem, but in the code, they will get retagged as "platform". I will change that for the next version.
    With the perspective camera, I will look into that. At the moment, z_distance needs a negative value for perspective and positive value for orthographic stuff, but thats a bit user unfriendly, so I will change that.
    Thanks for the testing!!

@Hakimo
    Yes, if you bought it over the unity store then you shouldn't need to pay if the price get highered. Have fun! :)

35. p6r

p6r

Yes, I just have renamed the word platform in teh script into plattform !!!

I can't jump with Space key but with Ctrl key !?! Normal ???

Great asset !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6R

36. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Looks great! I picked it up.

Any chance of a c# version in the future?

37. Samb88

Samb88

hey p6r,
    unfortunately, we can't put input paramter into a unity package, so you have to do it by yourself. Go to Edit->Project Settings->Input and change the settings there. Have fun :)

A sneak peak for the next update, coming next week:

38. p6r

p6r

I thought that is it !!! But I have Space and not Ctrl in my project setings !?!

Hey : Great -> Ragespline + JumpnRun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6R

39. epitom3

epitom3

@Samb, any chance of having SpriteManager2 support?

40. Samb88

Samb88

@Thinksquirrel
    I will convert the code to c# but not in the next 4 weeks. First I'll complete most of the pack, then I can keep the two versions up to date.

@p6r
    Please check out which button is used for jumping (Player Jumping Component) I think the standard is "Fire1".

@epitom3
    If I had the money to buy sprite manager I would try it :) At the moment, I modify the code so it will work well with rageSpline. So If I get my hands on any other plugin, I will try to make it compatible with this framework!

41. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Would love the ability to morph into a ball as in Super Metroid :)

42. Samb88

Samb88

The funny thing is, I was thinking about that for years, but more like "normal player to ball like in the kirby games". So yes, it will happen, but of course it's not the highest priority :)

43. Tastygraph

Tastygraph

this is a great framework, im very pleased with it so far :)

However, I am not sure if its because "trigger respawn" isnt active yet, or if i am doing something wrong.

I made a sphere and turned it into a trigger, attached the "Trigger Respawner" Script onto it. Then duplicated my respawn sphere and placed 2 of them on my testmap. The first i dragged into the "last_respawn" property on the 2dplayer prefab, so now when i die, my player respawns at that position. If i run into the other sphere with the respawn script on it, it wont make my player respawn there if he dies. So i was wondering if i did something wrong or if the code is not yet active :)

I am using the Deadzone trigger script and it works perfectly fine for me, so i am assuming that i didnt make any mistakes on turning the spheres into triggers :)

Thanks for making this Framework, its great so far! :)

44. Samb88

Samb88

heyho,
    I'm not at home right now but please check out the code of the triggerrespawn, if the Player tags "P" is in low case. If so, change the "player" to "Player" :) Will be fixed in 1.1

45. p6r

p6r

* You're right : I had changed the key... (I looked under Jump and not Fiere1 ! Sorry !!!)

* Could this work with Unitile ??? (Question to Samb88 or users of Unitile + jumpnrun...)

* Where is the nice scene with your odl game we could see to discover your package (with Fire, magical respawn effect,.. and especially the AI enemies !) ? Will this be in the next update ? Because I think there is a lot of things to learn in it !?!

6R

46. Samb88

Samb88

@p6r
    - Remember, you can change the buttons ;) Just reenter it in Player Movement/Jumping
    - Very good question! I will ask the creator of Unitile, Maybe the support is coming for 1.2 then!
    - Sadly this won't be in the next update. I have to create everything from ground up new so you guys can get the most out of it. But hey, this won't take too long before you can do a game like that.

Right now, I'm working on the 3DAnimator and CheatMaster integration. CheatMaster will be very useful in a later update to add health and lifes to your player or skip a level. I will talk about that in the next update a bit more :)

47. p6r

p6r

Yes, all you add to your asset will be great for us... Your asset is very clever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't hesitate to make small updates, even with a few things more instead of waiting for a big one. Users are happy to update little by little too. :)
    So we can learn to use the different options little by little too...

Thanks.

6R

48. Samb88

Samb88

@p6r
    The thing is, in the time i'm making the next Version I find all kind of small bugs. So it's better to not rush out every new version. At the moment, my plan is to release every new update weekly, so next update will be around wednsday.
    Here two more sneak preview screen ;)

3D Character:

Extra Boost:

49. IndieStudio

IndieStudio

where we can get the updates? asset store?

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  50. Samb88

Samb88

Hey IndieStudio,
    the update will be available around wednsday, please see the first post for more information what will be in the update :)
    You can then download is with the asset store.