Search Unity

[RELEASED] 2D Handcrafted Art Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Robiwan, Aug 4, 2015.

?

What pack would you like next?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2015.
  1. Lava / Volcano World

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Snow / Winter Land

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Under Water / Sea World

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Graveyard / Cemetery Land

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  5. Sewers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Haunted house

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Robiwan

Robiwan

Hi Everyone
    After months of hard work our three first asset are released on the AssetStore.

Let us know what you want to see next! Either use the poll or by typing in the forum thread.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
    2D Desert Pack - Handcrafted Art
    BUY NOW!

________________________________________________________________________________________________
    2D Jungle Pack - Handcrafted Art
    BUY NOW!

2D Under water Pack - Handcrafted Art
    BUY NOW!

2D Graveyard Pack - Handcrafted Art
    BUY NOW!

2D Lava Land - Handcrafted Art
    BUY NOW!

2D Microcosm Pack - Handcrafted Art
    BUY NOW!

Enjoy ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Gozdek likes this.
  2. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Just beautiful

Robiwan likes this.
  3. Robiwan

Robiwan

Thanks. Your feedback means a lot to us. Is there anything in particular you would want to see in this asset?

4. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

I'd like to see variations (snow, desert, etc). The problem many art packs have is that you can't make a complete game with them because the game look becomes repetitive.

Also if you can make your art blend with other big 2d packs in the store it will be even better. (ex. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/14900 )

Robiwan likes this.
  5. Robiwan

Robiwan

Wow, you most be reading my mind. First of our next version will be of desert, and secondly the asset you linked to is our inspiration for creating this asset. We actually contacted the owner of that asset to see if we could do something together. We also decided to have our first pack a jungle theme so it could fit this package which is forest theme.

Our challenge here is that we don't want to look like copy cats, but it's really hard balancing the "art blend" and just coping.

6. Robiwan

Robiwan

Here is another screen made by our asset

ScreenArtAsset.png

7. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Great job. When do you plan to release the asset??? Any estimated price?

Robiwan likes this.
  8. Robiwan

Robiwan

We hope to have it finished by the end of next week, but given it's our first asset on the asset store its hard to tell. As for pricing we hope to reach the level of quality to justify a price of $40. Been playing a little Ori and The Blind Forrest as well as Rayman to get some inspiration. So we adding a few new asset such as big lianas and stuff like that, I think we are about 100 assets now

9. Robiwan

Robiwan

On our demo level of this asset we are going to use music by John Leonard French, really good composer for game music. Check out his asset here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/publisher/2478

Please note that we will only use his music in the demo scene at it will not be included in our asset

10. Robiwan

Robiwan

Airlevel.png

To show the varity of what you can build with our Asset, here is a "sky level"

11. Robiwan

Robiwan

12. arkhament

arkhament

@Robiwan, your graphic style look awesome! Can you made some level like Super Smash Bros style too?

Robiwan likes this.
  13. Robiwan

Robiwan

14. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

I don't like the black borders in this tree i think is doesn't mathc with the rest of the vegetation

And also i'd like to see more vegetation to decorate the "terrain" like in this picture from K4 Manufactura's assets

15. Robiwan

Robiwan

@b4c5p4c3 Thanks for your feedback. We are currently working on a new revision on the trees without the black boarder, either it will make revision 1.0 if not it will be in 1.1.

As for the vegetation, will look into adding more of it in our demo scene. We surely have enough of asset to spread out to make it look in the same way.

Here is a short summary of most of the content:
    - 29 Types of threes, trunks and branches
    - 24 Platform elements
    - 17 Different plants
    - 20 Lianas and vines
    - 9 Mushrooms
    - 9 Backgrounds
    - 7 Stones
    - 9 Leafs (Perfect for particle effects)
    - 12 Prefabs
    - 1 Moon

16. Robiwan

Robiwan

Better, right?
    Level1_tree.png

17. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Very cool :D

Robiwan likes this.
  18. Robiwan

Robiwan

We how now sent the Jungle Pack to review. Our first asset on the AssetStore, fingers crossed for approval on first attempt. We are almost finished with drawing all the art for the second package which is for desert, here are some teasers from that package:

skull1.png
    mount2.png
    platform_small1.png

Mr-Stein likes this.
  19. Robiwan

Robiwan

Currently we have drawn Jungle and Desert, any wishes for the next one?

20. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

I'd like to see some snow, water and lava

21. Robiwan

Robiwan

Hmmm... What do you mean about water, like under water level?

22. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Yes, something like this

23. Robiwan

Robiwan

@b4c5p4c3 Cool, thanks for clarifying.

Looks like no one else has requested anything so it looks like it will be one of your request.

Here are some more teasers from our Jungle Assets

24. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Awesome. The screenshots looks pretty cool.

P.S. I love the moon in the background

25. Robiwan

Robiwan

@b4c5p4c3 Thanks for the comments and love, means the world to us. Please note that I have setup a poll for the next asset we are going to work on.

Also super happy to announce that we are finally live on the AssetStore, after months of hard work! If you have any comment please share it with us in this thread. Thanks a bunch!

26. Robiwan

Robiwan

27. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

I would like the the jungle pack. Thank you for the opportunity to review the asset.

28. Robiwan

Robiwan

Cool, PM sent. I would really appreciate a review of the asset. thanks

29. ToujoursFrais

ToujoursFrais

Hello, If there is still a spot open I am presently working on a 2D platformer and seeing the quality of this artwork I would really like an opportunity to try it out, I would also provide a review for it. If you would be so kind as allow me a voucher I would like to take a spin with the 2D Desert Pack. Thank you for the time and consideration. The artwork looks fantastic BTW. My only concern is the overhead this kind of art comes with.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2015
    Robiwan likes this.
  30. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Too bad i'm late to the party. The quality seems to be awesome. Good work.

Robiwan likes this.
  31. Gozdek

Gozdek

Nice work.

Robiwan likes this.
  32. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

First off, I will give a more detailed asset store review when I have had a chance to utilize the artwork in more of a game setting over the weekend.

The artwork is indeed fantastic, looks great and the example scenes showcase the details rather nicley.

The backgrounds for parallax scrolling options bring a nice depth to the scenery although I found some points it became overwhelming but this is a showcase of features not a game.

I would have to agree though with the shadows built in to some of the other trees and vegetation in the PNG files, as in the above tree example. The black lines can make the art look out of place. I'm sure its just a layer that could be turned off?

Which leads to to say I am curious as to why leave out the PSD files? In other experiences with assets like this I found them to be invaluable for modifying and create new versions for someone like myself who spends a lot more time coding then working with the artwork. I prefer art packages such as these as I know I could never create them myself.

That said I can cut and paste and change layers around, recolor or texture to create just as stunning versions of said art without spending more to have someone create more for me. Personally, having access to the PSD's to create new spin offs by cut and past and layer selections really extends the usefulness of graphic kits.

Thank you again however for the honor of the preview. More to come later with some screenshots.

Robiwan likes this.
  33. Xenonus

Xenonus

Would like to have the Jungle pack, if there is still a possibility :)
    Great looking art!

Robiwan likes this.
  34. Robiwan

Robiwan

Sure, you can get a voucher. Just send me PM, would be cool to hear more about your project as well.
    You one of our first and most dedicated supports, off course you will receive a voucher. Just post in the thread what package you want!
    Thanks a lot! We really love to get some feedback, so really glad you like what you see.
    Wow, thanks for the detailed feedback! It really means a lot to us. Also glad to read that you like the demo scene and understood that it's not a highly tweaked scene.

As for the black lines there should be asset that has a prefix "b" like "tree1b" that is without the black outline. If not there most been some mix-up in the uploading of the asset.

As for the PSD, I didn't include them to save space. But this is surely something we would look into doing in the next update.

I'll see what I can do send me PM

35. Robiwan

Robiwan

36. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

I'd like to test the jungle pack.

37. ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

ThermodynamicsMakesMeHot

I know I said screen shots but I'm creating something special and I don't want to give to much away at the moment. I will post something just not right now until closer to release. Big thanks to Robiwan for delivering this magic to make a dream become reality.

I can't wait to see what you create next. I am sure all those who purchase this and other assets you have and will create will find themselves saying the same. I'm sure your work will result in more then a few games.

Robiwan likes this.
  38. Robiwan

Robiwan

Hi everyone, thank you so much for your kind words so far. Unfortunately we have not made a single sales yet. We are currently working on a Under water level, but if the sale continues in this path I'm afraid that it will be our last Asset. The good news is that we'll try to develop it with you, sharing some drawings as they are produced and try as best as possible to implement your feedback and wishes for this package.

39. b4c5p4c3

b4c5p4c3

Hi

Thank you for the voucher. After testing the asset for a couple of hours i think i can give you some feedback.

WARNING: YOU SHOULD READ UNTIL THE END.

I'm not gonna lie. At first i was kind of dissapointed because i expected to find a demo level like this

but i found many blurry images and distorted sprites on the larger demo level

After that i decide to make some test by myself and compare this asset to K4 Manufactura's

If you look at the full image you'll see your platform(bottom platform) looks blurry compared to K4's (top platform) so i decided to take a look at the sprites images to see if they were too small and were losing quality at getting resized. But your sprites are big (1024x1024) and have very high quality like the image below so i decide to dig deeper.

After comparing both assets i found the problem were in the sprite's import settings. Your sprite's have the "Generate Mip Maps" setting checked.

After unchecking and reimporting the sprites, your platform looks a lot better but if you look the image at full size you'll notice now a lot of artifacts appear in the stones and the grass.

Artifacts

K4 sprites have the same problem but as they are using a shade of green for the entire platform and their grass leaves are bigger than yours, the artifacts went almost unnoticed.

To be honest it's not really your fault, it's Unity's resizing algorithm that made this artifacts appear, So either you do like K4 and make your art with less contrast or tell people to resize the sprites using Photoshop or GIMP or use some fog prefab in front of these artifacts.

In the image below i resized your sprites with Photoshop Bicubic Sharper and it looks a lot cleaner.

After solving these little problems i went to test how well your art fit with K4 and it was a nice surprise to see they fit like 2 legos.

This is a demo scene i made using sprites from both packages and as you can see with some color correction it will look like made by the same artist, so i'm very very happy because either if you add more sprites to this package or make more compatible packages we will have a big amount of sprites for our games.

So to sum it up:

- The sprites are big (512x512 smaller ones and 1024x1024 others) , the art looks very profesional and it's compatible with K4 asset so this is a big plus in it's favor.

- You should make a better demo level and include it in the asset. The demo levels you gave us to test doesn't show the real quality of your asset. In those demos you have some sprites scaled at 8x or at weird sizes like 1.7 x 2.5 x 1. People buy if they like what they see. With the quality of your art you could make an amazing demo level.

- As i said before, you should think of a way to make some of the sprites with high contrast, artifact free.

- The asset is priced right in my point of view, but maybe you should make a launch offer to get the ball rolling and attract more people.

All in all i'm very happy with the asset

NeatWolf likes this.
  40. muvida

muvida

Hi Robiwan, I am Nurul and and you asked me to leave a comment here for you. Hopefully I would love to test your jungle assets. Thanks

41. Mr-Stein

Mr-Stein

Hi @Robiwan, how I can won a free voucher for 2D Jungle Pack - Handcrafted Art? look awesome...

Regards

42. Robiwan

Robiwan

We have been working really hard on our new asset for under water world. Here is a teaser:

43. -Singularity-

-Singularity-

Nice work dude

Robiwan likes this.
  44. Robiwan

Robiwan

Thanks
    Judging by the poll it looks like Cemetery / graveyard is the most requested new asset, so we'll beginning working on this one now that underwater is finished.

45. Robiwan

Robiwan

I'm really proud to announce that our third asset is now live, check it out here: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/49445

And for you screenshots junkie here are is some examples:

Hope you enjoy.

PS: We are currently working on cemetery / Graveyard / Spooky theme, and it looks amazing so far.

46. Robiwan

Robiwan

We got some big announcement tomorrow.

Watch this space or follow me on twitter @RobinEkeheien

47. Robiwan

Robiwan

We are currently on the 24 Hour SALE!!!

Black Friday came early for us :)

48. shwa

shwa

Does the 2d desert pack come with a working web demo?

thanks.

Robiwan likes this.
  49. Robiwan

Robiwan

@shwa Not this one, but the "twin brother" jungle pack has it: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/43458

We aim to have the highest quality, and if you like what you experience in the jungle pack should be representative for the Desert pack.

Direct link to the web demos for jungle pack: Demo Level 1 and Demo Level 2

Hope it helps, and if you have more questions, just let me know :)

50. Robiwan

Robiwan

We are currently developing next 2D art package, graveyard. Here is a small teaser on what to come