Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] 2D ColliderGen - Generate Precise Polygon Colliders For Your 2D Sprites

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Pixelcloud-Games, Mar 14, 2013.

1. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

@Pixelcloud Games Anyone knows if 2D ColliderGen is able to generate a 2D Collider from one 3D Mesh,
    i need to convert a 3D Maze in .obj format, into Polygon 2D Collider.
    Thank you.

2. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi

Sorry, additional 2D Toolkit functionality (that is not already supported) will not be supported in the near future.

Kind regards,
    Harald

3. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

That's a rather funny workflow you have there ;)
    If you can render your obj file to an image (you can write a blender script for that), then set the transparent parts in the image via photoshop or gimp or whatever and can then use 2D ColliderGen to create your PolygonCollider2D.

Kind regards,
    Harald

4. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

@Pixelcloud Games The old version of my game was using "Unity 3D Colliders" now i'm running with "Unity 2D Colliders" to make the game more lightweight.

"If you can render your obj file to an image" i've tried this with a lot of "2D Collider Generators" and got some crazy weird results like jagged edges, no straight collider lines and so on.

I'm getting 2D ColiderGen right now, let's see what i can do with this tool ._.
    Thank you Mr. Cloud.

5. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

If the transparency is set up in the image, it should work I guess. If you have any problems, let me know! If I should miss a forum post and not respond for days, just drop me an email.

Cheers,
    Harald

6. KeepTrying

KeepTrying

7. LunaTrap

LunaTrap

Hi! i boguth your asset, but i dont get the add component dialog, can you please help me here? tried re importing collidergen, but i did not worked im using 5.2.0f3 win 7 64 bits

also, i have another question, is it possible to copy the collider i generated with a object with a sprite renderer to an object without a sprite renderer? i like to keep the physics collider wich is not kinematic seperate from the hitbox collider wich is kinematic.

8. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

is there any way to get a collider been created at runtime?

cause i'm creating a tilemap editor for my game, and i'm looking for a way to create a collider put of a runtime created collision-Texture.

The collider doesn't need to change by every tile drawn..
    instead we want to add a button (like in unityEditor), that calculates the collider once per click at runtime.. so we make big changes, click button.

And later, of course, create the collider once the level is loaded..

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  9. Silverlode

Silverlode

I am receiving an error when building for iOS. I am using code to generator colliders at runtime.

IL2CPP error for type 'ConfusedByAttribute' in assembly 'D:\Users\mark\Documents\GitHub\Proj\Temp\StagingArea\Data\Managed\2DColliderGen_Runtime.dll'​

The error says I will get more information doing a development build, but actually no more information is provide. This link suggests its due to an absence of a .mdb file.

Other errors occuring at the same time make me wonder if the DLL code still has some references to the editor enivronment that should be otherwised defined

Failed running C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\il2cpp/build/il2cpp.exe --copy-level=None --emit-null-checks --enable-array-bounds-check --enable-symbol-loading --development-mode --extra-types.file="C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Data\il2cpp\il2cpp_default_extra_types.txt"​

What should I do to try to fix this?

10. Silverlode

Silverlode

Sorry, false alarm. I updated to 2.6 and this issue has been resolved. Thanks for fixing it already! :)

11. ecosky

ecosky

Great plugin!

I have a few suggestions:
    1) Have an option to detect & generate Box or Circle Collider 2D if the points happen to be rectangular or circular within tunable tolerances. This would be helpful for improving performance for tile maps with lots of square sprites.
    2) Have an option to generate an Edge Collider 2D instead of Polygon Collider 2D.
    3) Add a point snap value, causing vertex coordinates to be snapped to multiples of that value.
    4) Add a merge distance, causing any vertices within this distance of each other to be moved to the center of the group.

Thanks for the time saving tool!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  12. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi!

Sorry for the late fix, it was more work than I expected it to be - on the other hand I improved some more things along the way. A new package with your bugfix of the 'Component' window entry not showing up is now on the asset store, please just get the update.

It should work if you only copy the Collider component via the inspector context-menu and "paste component as new" to the desired object. Or is that not an option?

Kind regards and a happy new year!
    Harald

13. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

That should already work with the provided RuntimeAlphaMeshCollider.cs script - however you will need to write some code to fill a binary image (0 and 1 for empty and full pixels) or a texture which you then update at runtime.
    The latest update day ago should provide a much improved and more comfortable version of the RuntimeAlphaMeshCollider script.
    Hope that helps!

Kind regards and all the best for 2016!
    Harald

14. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

You're most welcome! :)
    Kind regards and a happy 2016!
    Harald

15. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi!
    Thanks very much for your words and your ideas!
    Detecting circles and boxes seems like a nice idea. I will have to think that through a bit on how to most easily detect this - one box or circle is easy, but fitting multiple and deciding when to use circles/boxes and when polygons seems rather non-trivial to me at first thought..

Thats a very good point, I will definitly implement this in the next release.

Nice ideas as well! I will try to fit these into the next release.

Kind regards,
    Harald

16. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

One more question: what is your usecase of the point snap feature? Would you prefer pixel-based values (multiples of 10px) or ratio-based values (10-th of your image)? Nevertheless, I could implement both, but I'm just curious. :)

Kind regards and a happy new year! (forgot that in the last posting :) )
    Harald

17. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

2D ColliderGen v2.7 has been released on the Asset Store!

update_2.7_website_news_small.png

New Features:
    - Made RuntimeAlphaMeshCollider script more powerful.
    - Added preference value "Collider is Trigger" to
    automatically set generated colliders to be triggers.

Bugfixes:
    - Fixed 'Component' menu not showing up in latest Unity
    versions.
    - Fixed problems with Undo system.

Hope you like it! :)
    Wish you all a Happy New Year 2016!
    Cheers, Harald

18. TheOz

TheOz

Hello Pixelcloud

Im getting the following error when importing 2.7:

Assets/2DColliderGen/Editor/GenerateColliderTK2DHelper.cs(528,73): error CS0117: `Activator' does not contain a definition for `CreateInstance'

Any help would be great.

Anorak

19. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hello Anorak

I guess that another package has a class named Activator that causes a name clash.
    Please try the following:
    a) Replace line 528 in GenerateColliderTK2DHelper.cs as follows:
    colliderIslandsArray[index] = System.Activator.CreateInstance(colliderIslandType);
    b) If this does not work, replace it with the following line:
    colliderIslandsArray[index] = new tk2dSpriteColliderIsland(); // Activator.CreateInstance(colliderIslandType);

Please let me know which one solved your problem, thanks!
    Cheers and HTH,
    Harald

20. gaiomed

gaiomed

Hi,

I face some problems with RuntimeAlphaMeshCollider.
    It seems like a memory leak or endless loop, I try to generate colliders from a realtime camera kinect depth mask.
    Another issue is that when no islands are found so working on a texture with no opaque pixels you stop when in editor mode, if I fix this then you get a nullptr exception, I fixed that too. But the freeze issue stays, without your part my program just runs fine.
    best,
    Robert

21. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi Robert,

I just fixed your issue, please check the PM I just sent you for your download link.

Apart from the bugfix the RuntimeAlphaMeshCollider script now uses a second processing thread for improved performance.
    This all will later be included in the following official release.

Please let me know if this worked for you.

Kind regards,
    Harald

22. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

2D ColliderGen v2.8 has been released on the Asset Store!

update_2.8_website_news_small.png

New Features:
    - Added support for EdgeCollider2D.

screen2_unity43_small.png

- RuntimeAlphaMeshCollider now uses a separate processing
    thread for improved performance.

MultiThreadedRuntimeColliderGeneration.gif

- RuntimeAlphaMeshCollider now supports calculating
    colliders of individual sprite frames or other sprite
    atlas elements on the fly.
    Previously only preprocessed sprites were possible.

Hope you like it! :)
    Cheers, Harald

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Arkade likes this.
  23. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Just fixed a compile-error that occurred during non-editor builds (a #if UNITY_EDITOR guard was missing). Just submitted an update to the Asset Store, should be through in a few days. If you need the fix earlier, you can download this file and copy it over the one in the 2DColliderGen/Scripts directory:

http://pixelcloudgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/UnityBuiltInSpriteTools.cs

Kind regards and sorry for letting this one slip through,
    Harald

24. xiaoke36

xiaoke36

Hi Pixelcloud,

I have a problem when generating polygon collider 2d with a alpha8 Texture at runtime . I use the RuntimeAlphaMeshCollider script because the map could be changed during playing.

It works when I set the MaxPointCountPerIsland a small number.But when I set a bigger number,some colliders disappeared. How can I get a accurate collider at runtime?Thanks a lot!
    Untitled2.gif

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  25. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi!

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll get back to you with a fix soon!
    Kind regards,
    Harald

26. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

I've fixed the issue, please download the hotfix package here and copy the dll over the original one in 2DColliderGen/Plugins/2DColliderGen:

pixelcloudgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/2DColliderGen_Runtime_2.9.0.zip

I'll submit an official package update to the asset store very soon.

Kind regards,
    Harald

27. xiaoke36

xiaoke36

Problem solved.Cool! Thank you Harald!

28. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

You're welcome! :)
    Just submitted the package update to the Asset Store for review. Shall be live in a couple of days.
    Kind Regards,
    Harald

29. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

FYI: It's officially released on the Asset Store now.

Cheers,
    Harald

30. Oruji

Oruji

[EDIT]
    The solution was to check "Convex" in the MeshCollider component.
    Checking "Force Convex" in the AlphaMeshCollider component did not help.

Hi,
    I just bought the package and I'm optimistic, but I'm having a problem with the mesh generation.
    I want to generate a mesh collider from a sprite.
    It generates a mesh, but it's is only wrapping the sprite's edges, it does not generate a mesh for the face of the sprite.

Which means I can raycast the sides with success, but I cannot raycast the face of the sprite, which is what I want.
    How do I fix this?

Thanks,

upload_2016-8-2_8-1-45.png

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  31. McSpiffy

McSpiffy

Hi I have been using 2D ColliderGen for a while now and I'm loving it! Atm I am using the newest version of the RuntimeAlphaMeshCollider script and I have a question. Is there a way to have the script tell me when a piece of the image has separated from the rest of the image? You see I am developing a space-ish game where you can shoot into images and separate them in half and in doing so I remove the separated pixels from the original image and create a new gameobject with the the pixels that were separated as the new image. I have all this in place but My scripting skills aren't the greatest so my way of detecting when the image separates is a little messy and can be buggy at times. As I use you're script already I figured that it may be doing this procedure as well just a lot more efficient then the way i'm doing it. So back to my question Is there any way for me to hook into you're script for it to tell me when a section of the image has been separated from the rest?

32. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi!
    Just returned from 2-week Holidays, thus the late reply.
    Great to hear that you like it, thanks for purchasing it!

You could store the last number of separate island regions and see if the number has increased or not (an island region can be seen as a separate part in you setup).

Code can be adapted from the following sections, RuntimeAlphaMeshCollider.cs, around line 375f.
    Code (CSharp):
    2. bool anyIslandsFound = CalculateIslandStartingPoints(m_BinaryImage, m_BinaryImageWidth, m_BinaryImageHeight, ref m_ClassificationImage, ref m_Islands, ref m_SeaRegions);
    3. // [..]
    4. int newNumIslands = m_Islands.Count;
    5. if (newNumIslands > m_LastNumIslands) {
    6.     wasSplit = true;
    7. }
    8. m_LastNumIslands = newNumIslands;
    Hope this helps!
    Kind regards,
    Harald

33. McSpiffy

McSpiffy

Hey thanks for the reply. It would seem while you were away I came up with a similar solution. Its good to know I was on the right track.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. if(m_Islands != null && currentIslandCount != m_Islands.Count)
    2.         {
    3.             oldIslandCount = currentIslandCount;
    4.             currentIslandCount = m_Islands.Count;
    5.         }
    6.         if(currentIslandCount != oldIslandCount)
    7.         {
    8.             // need to send a call!
    9.             if(splitTexScript == null)
    10.             {
    11.                 splitTexScript = GetComponent<TextureSeparation>();
    12.             }
    13.             splitTexScript.CheckForSeparationTwo();
    14.             oldIslandCount = currentIslandCount;
    15.         }

34. Mr_Mendel

Mr_Mendel

Hi,

I gon't know if I am being dumb, but can I select say two sprites and get it to make a plygon collider that goes over both at once?

Thx

35. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi,

That will not work unfortunately - you need to combine the two sprites in an image editing program of your choice and then create the collider using this combined image.

Kind regards,
    Harald

36. sevensails

sevensails

@Pixelcloud-Games Hi,

I'm using updated version from AssetStore (2.11.0) and Unity 2017.1.f03. When I add the component AlphaMeshCollider, it freezes the editor, but doesn't crash. If i leave it there, after sometime, there is an "out of memory" message on console. Also the editor (frozen) consumes over 4GB of ram

37. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi @sevensails,

Oh, thanks for the report, I will check this and get back to you with a solution ASAP!
    Kind regards,
    Harald

38. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi again,

Unfortunately I was not able to reproduce your problem - when I e.g. select a GameObject with a Unity SpriteRenderer component and choose "Add AlphaMeshCollider" everything is added as expected.
    (Tested with your listed Unity version Unity 2017.1.f03).
    Could you please zip a minimalistic project that reproduces your problem? That would help a lot with resolving your problem.

Kind regards,
    Harald

39. sevensails

sevensails

Hi @Pixelcloud-Games ,

Surprisingly I tested again and it worked. Really strange, because I tested several times, and the freezing was really happening.

Anyway, probably a machine restart "fixed" this :)

40. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Thanks very much for the update, glad it fixed itself :).

Kind regards,
    Harald

41. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi everyone,

I just noticed that RawImages on Canvas objects were not working, but only Sprites were - I have just submitted an to the AssetStore, just waiting for approval.
    If anyone needs this feature earlier, please drop me a message!

I minor change to get rid of menu-related 2 errors that pop up once:
    Preferences window and 2D ColliderGen TK2D window are no longer part of the 'Component' menu but listed under 'Window - 2D ColliderGen' now.

Everything is tested under 2018.2 now.

Cheers,
    Harald

42. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

The new version 2.12 was just accepted by the AssetStore. So get the update if you need support for RawImages on Canvas objects :)! Link: [http://u3d.as/4iB]

Cheers,
    Harald

xiaoke36 and vicenterusso like this.
  43. ddubord

ddubord

Does Unity's CompositeCollider2D work with 2D ColliderGen created PolygonCollider2D?

44. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Thanks for your interest in 2D ColliderGen!
    I will have a look if this works. I think it does, but need to check to be sure.

45. ddubord

ddubord

Cool, thanks for checking!

46. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Yes - It works as expected. You can change the vertex count, etc via the AlphaMeshCollider interface, and the CompositeCollider2D will update its content correctly:

upload_2018-12-6_9-11-11.png

upload_2018-12-6_9-12-46.png

So there should be no problems running 2D ColliderGen with CompositeColliders.

Attached Files:

47. ddubord

ddubord

Awesome! This is a life saver for me. Thanks for looking into it for me and expect a purchase soon.

48. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

You're most welcome! Thanks for your interest in 2D ColliderGen! If you should run into any problems, let me know!

49. MercurialKid

MercurialKid

Hi PixelCloudGames. I may have just bought in error. My problem is that I'm using a light asset with a tilemap. My tilemaps are unusual, and I'm having to manually add box colliders to each platform. I was hoping to use this asset to generate polygons for my tilemap objects. Is there any way to accomplish this? Otherwise, this asset may not be much use to me, I'm afraid.

50. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi,
    Can you send me a minimal project that shows your problems? Then I can see what I can do to help.
    Kind regards,
    Harald