Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] 2D ColliderGen - Generate Precise Polygon Colliders For Your 2D Sprites

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Pixelcloud-Games, Mar 14, 2013.

1. imgodot

imgodot

Harald,

Thanks for the reply.
    I was getting a little worried.
    Sorry you've been sick, me too. And, I know about the holidays.

I was able to get a collider on a quad texture. Yippee!

So I played around with it some more and was a little stymied.
    It isn't a sprite so I don't have access to any of that functionality.
    I can't add a rigidbody2D so I don't have access to physics.

My question is, what can I do with the collider now that I have it?

-- Paul

2. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

You could add a normal Rigidbody (not the Rigidbody2D, the 3D one), is that of any help for you? If not, don't worry too much, if everything goes well I should have the update ready in the next few days, so that you can use the built-in Unity 4.3 sprites.

Kind regards and Happy Holidays! :0)
    Harald

3. imgodot

imgodot

Harald,

Since I've never used the 3D rigid bodies I think I'll wait.
    Looking forward to the implementation.

Happy holidays to you.

Thanks.

-- Paul

4. imgodot

imgodot

Harald,

How goes the integration with Unity sprites?

Will there be a New Years gift from you?

-- Paul

5. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

:)
    Just dropped you a pm with a link to the ahead-of-release files. Support for Unity4.3 sprites is done (automatically analysing parameters from SpriteRenderer components and writing PolygonColliders), what is missing is some code to comply with the new/modified undo-system introduced in 4.3 - we want to include it in the official update.

Hope you like it!
    Cheers, Harald

6. imgodot

imgodot

Harald,

Thanks for that. Well done.
    I got it and already did a few tests.
    Some worked. Some didn't.

The ones that worked were some simple sprites.

There were two that didn't work:
    1) One was a single sprite from a spritesheet and the collider created was too small.
    Here's is the sprite with the collider: $SingleSprite.PNG

2) Another was a single large sprite (1024 x 617 texture) that looks like a simplistic map of the Earth with may land masses.
    Here is the "map" sprite: $Map.PNG

I tried to have ColliderGen do the entire map and it generated the error below:

7. semiessessi

semiessessi

I get a nasty error from an unhandled exception when doing a build for Windows Phone 8 using 2D collider gen with 2d toolkit. I'm unsure what it actually needs to do for the build process here that couldn't be cached somewhere ready - from what I can tell my sprite collections already contain all of the necessary collision volumes. They were generated by pushing buttons at editor time, so I expect zero further overhead at that point - perhaps this is unreasonable...

"Error building Player: Exception: Error: method `System.Void System.IO.File::WriteAllBytes(System.String,System.Byte[])` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from 2DColliderGen_Runtime.dll at System.Boolean IslandDetector::WriteClassificationImageToPNG(System.Int32[0...,0...],System.String).
    Error: method `System.Void System.IO.File::AppendAllText(System.String,System.String)` doesn't exist in target framework. It is referenced from 2DColliderGen_Runtime.dll at System.Void PolygonOutlineFromImage::????????(System.String)."

Also as an aside its terrifying that 'exceptions' like this cause silent fails, but almost certainly that is down to the shoddiness of Unity and its error reporting/handling rather than anything that can be fixed on the plugin side, short of not failing with unexpected exceptions.

8. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Thanks for the feedback!
    This might be due to a different "Pixels To Units" texture import parameter. Could you please check ay your texture if this parameter differs from 100? If so, please also set the corresponding AlphaMeshCollider parameter "Sprite Pixels To Units" to the same value. Unfortunately i have not yet found a way to access this import parameter from a given Texture2D handle (maybe I have overlooked this in the Unity API - if anybody knows how to access it, please drop me a message). In the meantime, you have to set this parameter manually, sorry.

If this is not the cause of the problem, could you please provide some more information about this sprite?

Oh, thanks - I will investigate this issue and get back to you when I have a solution to offer.

Kind regards,
    Harald

9. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Thanks for the bug report! I just fixed the problem and have sent you a pm with a download link to a zip package which should fix your problem.

Kind regards HTH,
    Harald

10. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

I have now uploaded a new zip file (sent you the link via pm again), could you please tell me if the problem is now resolved?

At my place the colliders are generated successfully for all islands (by default when adding an AlphaMeshCollider only one island is active, then as usual via the "Holes and Islands" section I tick every island that I want to add colliders for and it then generates the colliders as expected. It works for both MeshCollider and PolygonCollider2D)
    $scene_worldmap_colliders.png

Cheers,
    Harald

11. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

I just sent you a pm again with a link to an updated package. If the previous update didn't already fix your problem, I have now improved some parts that are related to your problem, maybe it fixes it now.

Kind regards,
    Harald

12. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

$update_1.4_website_news_small.png

2D ColliderGen v1.4 has been released on the Asset Store!
    It now supports the new Unity 4.3 2D features - The built-in Sprites and PolygonCollider2D.

$screen3_unity43.png

Hope you like it! :)

Cheers,
    Harald

The full Changelog comes here:

New Features:
    • Added support for Unity 4.3 Sprites and PolygonCollider2D
      SpriteRenderer components are now automatically
      recognized by AlphaMeshCollider.
      PolygonCollider2D can now be generated instead of
      MeshColliders as well.
    Compatibility:
    • Fixed an error with Windows Phone 8 deployment.
    Minor Changes:
    • Removed warnings of obsolete method calls in Unity4.3.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  13. mheinsohn

mheinsohn

Pardon my ignorance, but what benefit does 2D ColliderGen provide over using 4.3 native Polygon Collider 2D (when strictly dealing with Unity 4.3 sprites)?

14. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

No problem!
    The advantage is that with 2D ColliderGen you have a whole lot of options to optimize or tweak the collider, just at a single click you can change the precision from 10 to 200 vertices, change the alpha transparency threshold, enable/disable single holes/islands, etc. You can also create 3D Mesh colliders from your sprites, if you should need them.

The main benefit is that it quickly generates 2D and 3D colliders for SmoothMoves, 2D Toolkit and Orthello, some of which have either no automatic way of generating colliders (2D Toolkit) or don't provide colliders at all.

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
    Harald

15. iEpic

iEpic

Im having trouble using this with 2D toolkit.

For some reason the colliders are adding extra triangles in between points instead of tracing around the outside edge.

Here is a picture of what is going on
    $Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 10.38.39 PM.png

16. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

What you describe does not seem to be any problem but just ordinary behaviour of Unity's 2D Colliders: it displays edges where it splits concave polygons into convex ones. To me this seems perfectly ok, don't worry about the edges.

Kind regards,
    Harald

17. steddyman

steddyman

What about providing animated colliders to match the different frames of a sprite animation in the Unity 4.3?

18. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

It will be supported in the next update.

19. vicenterusso

vicenterusso

What about supporting NGUI?

20. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I also be very interested in animated colliders and hope that it will not take to long?
    Can i use it then together with smoothmoves, i mean the animated colliders?

21. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

+1
    Please Animated Colliders.

22. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Since a lot of feature requests are ranked higher than the NGUI support, it will unfortunately not be supported in the near future.

Kind regards,
    Harald

23. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Yes, it will then be possible to use them together with SmoothMoves in the same scene, i don't see any problems with this.

24. Romano

Romano

Hey, I was just wondering whether or not 2D ColliderGen would successfully create a polygon collider for a very thin line like this: $desertWalkRail.png

I've only had Unity make one massive polygon :(

Thanks,
    Romano

25. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi!

I guess there will be a problem with 2D ColliderGen as well since there are some diagonal connections with no 'antialiasing'-pixels connecting the pixels in a up/down/left/right neighbourhood. You would then get a lot of seemingly disjoint colliders..

Regards and HTH
    Harald

26. richp999

richp999

Hi.

I am generating the collider during runtime. All seems to be working so far, using your RuntimeAlphaMeshCollider script, however I do not seem to be able to get the script to detect 'holes' . I can do this in the editor - how can I get / set the script to detect *all* holes during runtime ?

Thanks
    Richard

27. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Previously answered this per mail, now posting this to the forum as well, just in case anybody else is interested:

I assume you are using the experimental runtime collider generation script from this page here:
    http://pixelcloudgames.com/tools/2d-collidergen/documentation/runtime-collider-generation

If yes, then what would be necessary to include holes starts in line 71 (there is some additional coding involved, however):

Code (csharp):
    1. bool anyIslandsFound = CalculateIslandStartingPoints(mBinaryImage, out mIslands, out mSeaRegions);
    Currently it only uses the 'mIslands' part and ignores 'mSeaRegions', which correspond to the holes (you might want to skip the first sea-region however, since it's a polygon at the image borders most of the time).

What would be necessary is to call "CalculateOutlineForColliderIslands()" for mSeaRegions as well, e.g. like this in line 84:

Code (csharp):
    1. bool anyIslandVerticesAdded = CalculateOutlineForColliderIslands(out mOutlineVerticesAtIsland, mIslands /*pass mSeaRegions here*/, mBinaryImage);
    .. but pass another list instead of mOutlineVerticesAtIsland and then join both, or make sure it will be appended to the list instead of assigning a new list<list<..>> as in line 122. Also be sure to revert the list-order of the vertices at the holes (to flip the sea regions inside-out).

The experimental script covers only the basic setup of the collider, but no special settings like analysing scale/etc from the attached object. At some objects (SmoothMoves/2D Toolkit), this is not possible at runtime any more, since the necessary components are accessible in the editor only and are gone at runtime.

(and for performance reasons, it should also not do this at runtime)

What exactly are you trying to accomplish at runtime? Depending on the task, maybe you could pre-generate the colliders and then enable/disable those that you need/don't need.

Sorry if for your setup there is some coding involved, but that's why it reads 'could serve as a base for your code' on the website.

Kind regards Hope this helps a bit,
    Harald

28. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am still interested in an animated collider version of this asset, any news about this?

29. TheMoose

TheMoose

Hi,

I just downloaded 2D ColliderGen and it feels great BUT when I try to build for Windows Phone 8 I get the following:

Can you help me out?

30. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Oops, there was a problem remaining in the dll code (in #if UNITY_EDITOR directive that did not have any effect after it was compiled to the dll). Fixed it and dropped you a message. If somebody else had this problem, please let me know, then i'll send you a copy as well.

Kind regards,
    Harald

31. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi,

I'm working on it, hope to get it out very soon!

Cheers,
    Harald

32. Girl + Robot

Girl + Robot

Is there any chance that we could be able to export the colliders generated via ColliderGen? I would love to be able to have ColliderGen generate these collider meshes, and export them into super simple geometry format ( such as OBJ, as it is a simple and easy to use format ) so I can import them back into Maya.

If I already have access to these collider meshes, and can loop through the verts, edges, faces, then I could dump them to OBJ myself, but I wasn't familiar enough with what was accessible currently.

Sorry if this has been requested before ( though I didn't see it in the 7 pages shown here )

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  33. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi!
    It does this already - it exports collada files (just as universal as OBJ) to the Assets/Colliders/Generated directory by default. You might need to switch the collider type from PolygonCollider2D to MeshCollider if they are not generated at your setup (I admit I don't remember if I generated them at both collider types..).

Kind regards HTH,
    Harald

34. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi everyone,

Just an update on the animated Unity4.3 Sprite colliders: I'm nearly done with the implementation - some UI work remains, but it's basically working pretty well already.

$animated_collider_preview.jpg

Kind regards,
    Harald

35. Girl + Robot

Girl + Robot

I just bought ColliderGen, and was a bit dismayed to realize that it doesn't create front or back faces for the colliders, which I really need ( similar to how Polygon 2D Collider does ( though you can't control the amount of verts used for the outline like ColliderGen does, which is super cool, and is one of the primary reasons I bought it)). I also noticed that if you put the Z Thickness to 0, the mesh is no longer generated. Could you add front, or front and back capping to the colliders as an option, and allowing a Z thickness value of 0, this would be huge to my workflow. Thanks in advance!!

36. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

If you only need to control the number of vertices and a PolygonCollider2D instead of a MeshCollider is an option, then just switch the output collider type from MeshCollider to PolygonCollider2D in the AlphaMeshCollider's inspector window.
    If you need to use MeshColliders, then its a different case.
    As i stated earlier on this forum (on page 4), you could switch the mesh collider to be convex (check "force convex" at the AlphaMeshCollider and tick "convex" at the MeshCollider component), then the front and back caps are added automatically.
    Support to generate front- and back-caps on concave meshes will not be supported in the near future, since it's quite a big effort to implement (and it's a rather rare case where you need them actually).

What exactly are you planning to use them for? Maybe we find a solution apart from concave MeshCollider caps.

Kind regards and HTH,
    Harald

37. Girl + Robot

Girl + Robot

Unfortunately switching it from MeshCollider to PolygonCollider2d stopped writing a .dae file which I need to use as an export to Maya. The convex option completely defeats the purpose of having control on the number of control points used and doesn't give me anything remotely useful. ColliderGen does an amazing job of creating the poly edge, but for my application, I need to have the front meshed. I do think that if you were able to store the ColliderGen version of the PolygonCollider2d exactly as seen in the UI but as a .dae then that would solve my issue, otherwise I am stuck.

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  38. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

The problem is that I only specify the outline vertices, and Unity then tesselates the outline as seen in the UI. Unfortunately i do not have access to any of the generated polygons that are visible in the UI..

One more workaround idea, since you're using Maya already: you could use the exported MeshCollider .dae file to import it in Maya, then tesselate the front face there (as well as remove the side faces if you don't need them) and then hit "Reload Collider" in the AlphaMeshCollider inspector back in Unity. However, be sure not to hit "Recalculate Collider" and disable "Live update", so that you don't accidentally override the modified mesh again (easiest way would be to use svn or any other revision control system to save your changes and prevent loss of work). If you have a lot of Colliders to change in Maya, maybe it would be reasonable to write a script to automate the procedure, then it could be something like "apply tesselation script to all dae files in directory", then select all AlphaMeshColliders simultaneously and hit "Reload Collider" there. Maybe that could get the job done with minimal manual work necessary.

Regards, Harald

39. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

$update_2.0_website_news_small.png

Apart from several bugfixes, we are happy to announce that 2D ColliderGen now supports Animated Colliders for Unity 4.3 Sprites.
    Hope you like it! :)

$screen1_animated_colliders.png

Regards,
    Harald

40. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can i still use the new animated feature together with smoothmoves and 2d toolkit and if so how?

41. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

I think I don't quite understand your question. SmoothMoves animation is skeleton-based and is supported a long time already. 2D Toolkit animations however are not supported in this version, since it's only Unity 4.3's (and later versions, of course) built-in sprites that are supported for animated colliders. Nevertheless you can still generate "static" (in the sense of 'not animated') colliders for all supported frameworks (thus including SmoothMoves and 2D Toolkit) as usual.

Cheers,
    Harald

42. v8312

v8312

Hello! In my project we generate 2dtoolkit sprite collections from TexturePacker spritesheets. We have tk2dSpriteCollectionData instance only as output (no editable tk2dSpriteCollection). So we can't use 2dColliderGen editor tools to create polygon collider for every sprite.

How can we create polygon colliders for our sprites if we have tk2dSpriteCollectionData only?

43. v8312

v8312

Code (CSharp):
    2.         bool[,] binaryImage;
    3.         tk2dSpriteDefinition def = sprite.GetCurrentSpriteDef();
    4.         _pofif = new PolygonOutlineFromImageFrontend();
    6.         Vector2[] UVs = def.uvs;
    7.         Bounds spriteBounds = def.GetBounds();
    8.         Texture2D mainTex = def.material.mainTexture as Texture2D;
    9.         float fX = (mainTex.width) * (def.flipped == tk2dSpriteDefinition.FlipMode.TPackerCW ? UVs[0].x : UVs[0].x);
    10.         float fY = mainTex.height - (mainTex.height) * (def.flipped == tk2dSpriteDefinition.FlipMode.TPackerCW ? UVs[0].y : UVs[2].y);
    11.         _pofif.BinaryAlphaThresholdImageFromTexture(out binaryImage,
    12.                                                     mainTex,
    13.                                                     0.1f,
    14.                                                     true,
    15.                                                     Mathf.RoundToInt(fX),
    16.                                                     Mathf.RoundToInt(fY),
    17.                                                     Mathf.RoundToInt(spriteBounds.size.x),
    18.                                                      Mathf.RoundToInt(spriteBounds.size.y));
    20.         IslandDetector islandDetector = new IslandDetector();
    22.         int[,] classificationImage;
    23.         IslandDetector.Region[] islands;
    24.         IslandDetector.Region[] seaRegions;
    25.         islandDetector.DetectIslandsFromBinaryImage(binaryImage,
    26.                                                     out classificationImage,
    27.                                                     out islands,
    28.                                                     out seaRegions);
    31.         List<Vector2> verts = new List<Vector2>();
    32.         PolygonOutlineFromImageFrontend outlineAlgorithm = new PolygonOutlineFromImageFrontend();
    33.             outlineAlgorithm.UnreducedOutlineFromBinaryImage(out verts, binaryImage, islands[0].mPointAtBorder,true, false, true);
    35.         outlineAlgorithm.VertexReductionDistanceTolerance = 0.1f;
    36.         outlineAlgorithm.MaxPointCount = 30;
    37.         verts = outlineAlgorithm.ReduceOutline(verts, true);
    38.         PolygonCollider2D collider = AddComponent<PolygonCollider2D>();
    40.         collider.SetPath(0, verts.ToArray());
    I delved inside the 2DColliderGen code and managed to write this snippet. It generates collider accurate enough, but in wrong position. I need to rotate and translate collider verts (and I resolved this problem). What should I do if I want to process not only the first island but all of them?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  44. Owen_Gusson

Owen_Gusson

Quick question before picking this up. I would like to make a 2d terrain image that has hills, valleys, etc. I'm hoping to be able to roll things around the terrain smoothly, without bumps. I'm guessing I'll need more than 200 vertices. Is that a fixed maximum, or something that can be easily bumped up in a file somewhere, perhaps a constant?

45. dasbin

dasbin

Recently bought 2dColliderGen. I'm finding it extremely useful in developing our 2D top-down game in which the level is a random smattering of "walls" (blocks) strewn about.
    I have a few feature requests that would shave hours of menial work off getting useable colliders for each level:

1. Please provide a way to turn on and off all islands and holes simultaneously. A single collider file, for us, can be dozens or even hundreds of individual islands. It's crazy tedious to go through and select them all.

2. By the same token, it's crazy tedious to change each island's Outline Vertex Count in this way. I'd propose that your master Outline Vertex Count slider at the top control *all* islands, not just the first one. Then, one can set a good average that works for most, and tweak individuals islands as needed.

3. It's impossible to tell which island is which in a long list, given they are just generically named numerically. I'd propose that when I click inside a collider in the Scene View GUI, this should automatically show and select its associated Island # in the list. Maybe even auto-select that island's Outline Vertex Count number-entry box, so one could simply click on the collider and type the vertex value wanted. This way, we could take a look at the colliders in the GUI, and simply click on the islands that appear to need additional vertices and tweak very quickly.

Ultimately these changes combined would result in several hundred hours of cumulative menial work shaved off our game.

Thanks very much for considering these - and for the work you've already done with this great tool.

46. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is the integration with smoothmoves easy ? I use the 2D in a 2.5D setup.

I suppose the main difference from Smoothmoves colliders is that they will be replaced with more accurate ones that follow the shape of the transparency of the texture ?

Also does it support transparent textures ? If so i guess there is a cut off variable to control ?

Thanks

PS. The system will be idea for bosses made in Smoothmoves i guess :), great work

47. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

Hi!
    The 200 vertices is just a configurable value, please see the bottom of the documentation page [here]

48. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

First of all, sorry for the late reply, somehow the email-notification failed (or I simply overlooked it), I was shocked when I got the last notification and saw that I have missed to reply to some earlier questions. In such a case, if I don't reply for a long time, just drop me an email.

Thanks for the request, I think I will introduce a kind of "enable all islands larger than" functionality, which shall keep things easy and save you a lot of time.

The problem with the main slider changing all islands is that it would ruin work of tweaking individual islands by resetting each island's vertex count to the slider's value. But I will introduce an additional slider in the subsection that can change all islands, that way it should be safe and comfortable at the same time.

Hm, I can see your point, unfortunately this seems like a whole lot of work apart from the problem that I don't yet know how to implement such click-selection functionality in the editor.

Thanks very much for purchasing our tool and your kind words! I'll do my best to implement your requested features.

49. Pixelcloud-Games

Pixelcloud-Games

It's pretty easy, please have a look at the tutorial video in the documentation pages [here].

Yes, there is an 'Alpha Threshold' that can be set.

Thanks! Bring 'em on :)

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the info, bought the pack

It will enchance my Smoothmoves workflow a lot for sure, very useful work