Search Unity

[RELEASED] 2D+3D Infinite Runner Engine - new v1.6 : Downhill!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Aenah

Aenah

Hello, everyone.

Maybe someone can help me. I bought this great asset and I am making a game for my little daughter, and I am a little rookie in Unity3d. I would like some advice to do the following: I would like to include random objects that were above the platforms that are created in the Platform Spawner (I am using Jelly forest demo like core of the game). I want these objects not floating around in the air, but supported on the platform.

Thanks for your time.

2. reuno

reuno

@Aenah > A solution would be to use a spawner, that would spawn stuff above the platforms before they reach the screen (so in this case put it to the right of the camera), and just have these objects have a rigidbody (rigidbody2d in this case).

3. Aenah

Aenah

Thanks for your reply!! I will try it!!

4. CunningGrayFox

CunningGrayFox

Any plans for playmaker integration? If not, is the engine open to extension for playmaker actions?

Also, does your engine allow for procedural generation of levels? If not, is the engine open to extension for procedural generation of levels?

5. reuno

reuno

@CunningGrayFox > No support for Playmaker, I don't want to have to maintain 3rd party stuff (and I've never tried Playmaker), but from what I know you can plug both.
    And the whole point of the engine is to spawn random stuff so I guess it's entirely procedural by default.

6. brettboring

brettboring

hi again reuno :) My apologies if i've missed an example of this in the demo scenes!

I'm hoping to make a booster that makes my character destroy objects it collides with for a few seconds.

I thought to create PickableObject script to change player tag and then modify the killsplayerontouch script to destroy cloned obstacle prefab instead of player when colliding with new tag.

Could you please provide an example of how to do this or which demo scene something similar is implemented in.

getting a bit lost here :D Thanks!

7. reuno

reuno

@Brohepa > There's an example of a booster in the SkyTheory demo scene, so that should be a good starting point :)

8. brettboring

brettboring

reuno I was reading through the corgi thread and saw mention of character select screen possibly being added to that asset, any chance one could be added to the infinite runner engine too? :D

9. reuno

reuno

@Brohepa > Sure, why not. Added to the todo list :)

10. thefox

thefox

Hi

I love this framework and have my game coming along nicely. I have a question in regards to the multiple object spawner. As my 2d objects are different sizes they don't line up. I am using distance spawner the clamps are set to 0 and the resize is set to 0 also.Is there a way to change their alignment? I have tried to change the position of the transform etc in the prefab but the align is always the center of the spawner.

Thanks.

11. reuno

reuno

@thefox > objects will always be centered, but you can reposition the contents of your objects inside the spawned prefabs so they align. If you look at nested prefabs (there's an example in the sandbox), you'll see how it's done.

12. kregenrek

kregenrek

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying this asset but I have one question please.
    In the examples there are only square GameObjects which represent the boundaries or ground.

I would need to make something like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=53&v=Wk5JupHelAg or this
    https://itunes.apple.com/US/app/id503092422?mt=8

So the collision should be recognize the flow of round waves.
    I hope you understand what I mean. But the example above should show you
    what I mean.

Is this easily possible with the kit?

Regards

13. reuno

reuno

@kregenrek > It's possible, yes. The engine uses Unity's built-in physics so really you can spawn whatever hills/mountains you want, and have any kind of character collider.
    That said, you'd need to code the behaviour for that character, there's nothing similar included right now.
    But the engine will take care of spawning these landscape chunks and allow you to have pickable coins etc.

14. thefox

thefox

Thanks. You are right!

reuno likes this.
  15. ruuben

ruuben

Ups!! For a moment I was very happy to have a new version and wondering which new amazing features you will put here but the 3.0 version make me think this is about corgi... and the feature list is clearly for the other framework

Any roadmap for this asset?

PS: As owner of the corgi engine thanks!

16. reuno

reuno

@ruuben > Woops! Wrong thread indeed, I'll remove this right away and will post this in the other one, thanks for pointing this out.
    So yeah there's new stuff coming for the Infinite Runner Engine, and soon.
    I'm actually working on it right now.
    I usually don't promise anything until it's ready, but...
    upload_2016-11-26_17-32-51.png

17. ruuben

ruuben

Looks great! And actually a really nice feature for any game with achievements ;)

We are currently working in a game using this asset as the main engine and it will be awesome to have more features like that, of course,

Thanks for advance !

reuno likes this.
  18. jpv1234

jpv1234

Any news on turn support? That would make this engine almost perfect

19. reuno

reuno

@jpv1234 > Turn support ? You mean like the "turns" in Temple Run and the likes?
    That's on the todo list if that's the case. Low priority right now as it's something that's really game specific and I haven't found a way to make it generic so far.

20. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I've just submitted v1.3 of the Infinite Runner Engine to the Asset Store.
    Usually it takes between a couple of days and a couple of weeks for the update to hit the store.

This new version introduces achievements, with a simple system that will allow you to create and unlock achievements super easily.

Here are the full release notes :
    - Adds an achievements system, complete with save/load mechanism
    - Adds a new and improved event manager
    - Adds support for Unity 5.5's new splashscreen
    - Adds new Unity's Post Processing Effects and removes the old ones
    - Adds an option on cameras to automatically disable effects when on mobile
    - Fixes concurrent key presses/releases on the Flight of the Albatross demo scene
    - Fixes a loop error in the MultipleObjectPooler
    - Updates the project to Unity 5.5

The update will require Unity 5.5, and of course is free for everyone who purchased the asset in the past.

Note that in my tests I've found the new PostProcessing effects by Unity to be really cool but a little unstable. I've had to put the PostProcessing folder inside the InfiniteRunnerEngine one in order to submit the update, but if you get weird errors or visual glitches, you may want to move it to the root of your project. Or maybe everything will be fine.

josker likes this.
  21. thefox

thefox

Hi Renu

I have a question hopefully with a simple answer.

I have prefabs that are different sizes with different child sprites etc. I set the parent to contain the moving object, and the pool able object as well as out of bounds recycle. I set the bounds to be box collider 2d and I ensure that its it is at the edges. I then use a multiple pool object to assign them and a distance spawner with some values and the distance set to last spawned object. The distance is enough however sometimes they overlap. When I use prefabs of the same size the overlap does not occur. I have also increased the space however still overlapping. I have tried different distances also

I would have thought given I can use box collider as the bounds the objects can be of different sizes. I have ensured the child items to not overlap and are positioned correctly.

01detail.png settings.png

22. reuno

reuno

@thefox > I gave it a try just to be sure, but it works as intended.
    You can of course can have different sized platforms spawned next to each other (and not overlapping).

I don't know what's wrong with your setup, but here's what I did (it's easy to reproduce I only used prefabs included in the asset).
    - open the MinimalSandbox demo scene.
    - add a distance spawner to an empty gameobject, add a multiple object pooler to it.
    - I've then taken two prefabs, the Minimal2DPlatform (collider width of 7.5) and the JellyForestPlatform (collider width of 10.24). I've just changed their speed to 10 so they move in sync.
    - I put both in my newly created multiple object pooler. Press Play :

upload_2016-12-13_12-14-9.png

(the spawner is the blue thing on the right, it's spawning towards the left here). As you can see all colliders align perfectly, and their sizes are the ones of their respective original prefabs.

Here's the spawner's setup :
    upload_2016-12-13_12-15-50.png

Maybe compare with your setup to check for differences. If that still doesn't work, you could try reproducing what I did here. If that still doesn't work then there's a problem :)

23. reuno

reuno

v1.3 of the Infinite Runner Engine just hit the store.
    It shouldn't break compatibility (apart from the standard effects change), but make sure you backup your project before updating just to be sure!
    I hope you'll like this new version.

Here are the v1.3 release notes again:
    - Adds an achievements system, complete with save/load mechanism
    - Adds a new and improved event manager
    - Adds support for Unity 5.5's new splashscreen
    - Adds new Unity's Post Processing Effects and removes the old ones
    - Adds an option on cameras to automatically disable effects when on mobile
    - Fixes concurrent key presses/releases on the Flight of the Albatross demo scene
    - Fixes a loop error in the MultipleObjectPooler
    - Updates the project to Unity 5.5

24. thefox

thefox

Thanks. I will try this.

reuno likes this.
  25. reuno

reuno

Just a quick post to let you know I created a game over the weekend for Ludum Dare 47, a great gamejam.
    The theme was "One Room", and here's Smallest Dungeon :

It's a fast paced roguelike where you mostly get to choose what loot you get.
    You can get the game for free on itch.io.

thefox likes this.
  26. thefox

thefox

Ok.

It definitly works correctly when you have a single gameobject and you can set the box collider to any width. However When I have the following set up it continues to over lap.

Parent has sprite renderer, moving object, poolable object, out of bounds recycle box collider set to desired size (the total size of the 2 sprites
    Child objects (1 or more) with sprite renderer it created the over lap - no box collider

I have tried different combinations and it occurs when there are child objects

Any thoughts?

27. reuno

reuno

@thefox > I don't reproduce the problem. With a similar setup my spawned objects are aligned correctly.
    Plus the same scripts are used whether you have child objects or not so I don't see how it could result in a different gap.
    I'll keep digging into it though.

28. reuno

reuno

@thefox > Oh one last thing. If you try and activate the NestedPlatformSpawner that is in that same Sandbox scene, do you have the problem if you set it as Gap Origin : Last Spawned object?
    Because I think that's more or less that setup you're after, and it works perfectly afaik (based on the tests I've made and the ones during the last beta).
    Note that I set up the parent collider quite poorly so visually it's not too great, but if you select two consecutive parent colliders you should see them align perfectly.

29. frolicOne

frolicOne

Hi Reuno,

I wanted to check out the 1.3 update, and downloaded the package from the asset store.
    However, when I opened the project everything is exactly the same as 1.2 . I read the release notes, but can't find any of the updates.
    For example, the README file is marked v1.1, and all the files dates are 2016-7-14 - same date as v1.2.

Is that a problem with the asset store?
    How can I actually get the update?

30. reuno

reuno

@flexwiz > I think I just answered you via email, but in any case, that's probably because you don't have the required Unity version (5.5 in this case).

31. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

Great work on this asset. It has been awesome to see it grow. Having a small issue with the foreground appearing behind the platforms.

Attached Files:

32. reuno

reuno

@ethanwgross > Oh that's right, I reproduce this. I wonder why it changed. Must be 5.5 related. I'll look into it for the next release.
    Thanks for pointing this out!

33. ethanwgross

ethanwgross

You bet : )

34. arjunr24724

arjunr24724

Hi Reuno

I am struggling with implementing the Achievement system. Can you post a quick tutorial to adding new achievements and also to reset all achievements?

EDIT: nvm. found it. For others if they need to know, see attached image for path to the achievements object. You may also create one using the Asset menu

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    ethanwgross likes this.
  35. reuno

reuno

@arjunr24724 > Good find! But yes, I'll write a complete documentation for it, it's planned. Next week most probably. And you can reset them using the buttom at the bottom of this AchievementsList's inspector. In the next version I've added a menu item to do so, but both do exactly the same thing.

36. reuno

reuno

37. reuno

reuno

I just sent out a newsletter to subscribers, I thought it could be of interest here too, so here goes :)

Hello,

First of all let me wish you a very happy new year!
    2016 has been a busy year for More Mountains, with quite a lot happening:

I released 11 updates for the Corgi Engine, which is still in the top 10 most popular complete projects after 2 years on the Unity Asset Store. That’s all thanks to you! It’s really great to see so many people create awesome games with it, and release them on Steam or on mobile stores.

I also released the Infinite Runner Engine in 2016, along with 4 updates throughout the year. It’s really the project I’m the most proud of. This asset can really be used for a lot of different gameplay variations. Oh and I extracted the Corgi Engine's controls into Nice Touch, a minimal and simple mobile input solution, and added a few features to it as months went by.

And then I spent a lot of time working on future assets. I’ve just submitted the first version of the Highroad Engine to the Asset Store, so it should be available within a few days. The Highroad Engine is the easiest way to create the arcade racing game of your dreams. Whether you’re planning a solo, local or online multiplayer game, it’s got you covered, and should provide everything you need to make the next best Micro Machines like game. I'll tell you more about it when it's actually available!

Recently I’ve been writing a lot of documentation for all these assets, it’s already online, so make sure you check it out, and let me know if you feel like something’s missing (you can find the links for these on each asset's page).

On a more personal note, I took part to two editions of the Ludum Dare gamejam, releasing Shapeshifter Biker and Smallest Dungeon, which both scored quite well. Shapeshifter Biker even ended up on Rock Paper Shotgun’s Best Free Games of 2016 list!

2017 is up to a great start, as January should see the Highroad Engine and Corgi Engine v3.1 hit the store. And then I’m planning on delivering at least one brand new asset, and keeping all assets updated as regularly as ever.

I wish you all a great year, and all the best for your upcoming projects!

38. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Man! HighroadEngine looks awesome and the upcoming features are awesome too. Can you please pre-sell it to me via paypal? I will purchae it again when its out in the store!!!!!!

39. reuno

reuno

@Devision4 > I'm afraid I can't, it's only available on the asset store :) But I'm glad you're liking it!

40. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

oh noes :( when its available for purchase???? I cant wait!!!!!!!!

41. reuno

reuno

@Devision4 > Soon, hopefully. I submitted the final version to the Asset Store on Monday, it's now "pending review" from the Asset Store team. How long it'll take them is anyone's guess. Based on past experiences, it's usually somewhere between 3 days and 3 weeks. Sometimes more. I sure hope it'll go fast this time!

42. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

network game tend to take up to 3 weeks :(

43. brettboring

brettboring

hey reuno!
    do you think it would be possible for a spawner to pickup the last spawned object from another spawner and attach the new spawned object to it with 0 gap between them?

Ive tried using time/score based scenario events to enable/disable spawners but they never perfectly align i.e. sometimes they overlap sometimes they have a noticeable gap.

Cheers.

44. reuno

reuno

@Brohepa > It's certainly technically possible, but that's not built in, and I'm not sure how I'd proceed.
    I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do though, and maybe there are more easier ways to achieve it.
    For example, if you just want to spawn a different kind of object, wouldn't it be easier to use a multiple object pooler?
    Maybe add a functionality to have some objects in the pool "locked" until a certain event? I'd need more details about your use case to give you a proper answer :)

45. brettboring

brettboring

Convenience mainly :)

My levels will be made up of stages and I would rather have a level made up of seperate multi-object pooler stages that i can more easily tweak rather than having to go through 1 large one.

Also, some of my platforms don't play so nice with each other so creating a randomly generated level is impossible. prefab stage spawners however would work, so long as the last and first platforms connect fluidly.

Second use would be to have a platform spawn continuously when 1 stage is finished, the player chooses when to begin the next stage. but i can replace this idea with a set number of "inbetween stages" platforms and a pause game option pop up.

Since it's probably not something others would need i don't expect you to add it in :), just wanted to know if it were possible before i give myself a headache trying to figure out how to do it :D.

cheers!

46. reuno

reuno

@Brohepa > I see. Well that's indeed not possible out of the box right now.
    Not sure how I'd do that myself.
    I think the best way to go would be to have a new type of multiple object pooler where you can lock/unlock certain types of pooled objects on demand. I'll add that to the list. Not sure if that's a very common request, but we'll see. If other people mention similar needs, it'll go up!

47. reuno

reuno

Just a quick message to let you know that I've just released a new asset, the Highroad Engine.

The Highroad Engine is the easiest way to create the arcade racing game of your dreams. Whether you’re planning a solo, local or online multiplayer game, it's everything you need. It comes with AI, solo, multiplayer (local or online), full documentation, two complete game examples, mobile controls, and more!

You can get it now on the asset store, and here's a short video of it:

48. Carl201010

Carl201010

Hi Reuno,
    Infinite Runner / Unity 5.5.0f3
    I’m not certain about this but I may be seeing an issue with the above version of Unity
    Having had problems building for iOS I went for a clean project, re-imported the IR package and built for desktop. The same issue occurred, which is:
    - Unity freezes during build when packaging resources.assets
    I’m running this on an MBP with 16Gb RAM and plenty of disk, all my other projects are building correctly.
    I’ve deleted the package from the asset store folder and re-downloaded. There are no other assets in the project. It plays fine in the editor.
    Sorry if this is me being foolish, but I could only think of three reasons why this might happen: either incompatibility with the above version, a corruption of the package somewhere, or me doing something wrong. I think I’ve eliminated the third option, and as I said the package is a clean download.
    I have built successfully with earlier versions of IR / Unity (just not 5.5).
    I could try downloading 5.5.1 and see if that makes a difference, but I thought this was sufficiently odd to ask the question.

49. reuno

reuno

@Carl201010 > That looks a lot like a well known issue with Unity's PostProcessing effects :

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/issues/28#issuecomment-270376962

https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/PostProcessing/issues/39

(etc)

Note that it's not technically a freeze, it will actually complete at some point.

It doesn't seem to happen systematically to everyone. I only encountered it on one of my computers (Windows, seemed ok on a Mac). It's only the first time though. In some of these issues people mention a 8min build time, in my case it was more like 20 minutes. But it only occurs on the first build.

You can also safely remove them if you don't want to use them :)

50. Carl201010

Carl201010

Thanks Reuno,

Yeah, I was trawling log files and I think that narrowed it down to the temporal antialiasing shader. Good to know it's a first-build issue, I'll try letting it run for 20 mins or so first. And thanks yet again for the fast response!!!

reuno likes this.