Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] 2D+3D Infinite Runner Engine - new v1.6 : Downhill!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Amateur_Professional

Amateur_Professional

Hi Reuno,

This has been a wonderful asset. I was able to create a vertical scrolling Infinite Runner game to run fairly quick. I was even able to figure out having a projectile and adding points to the score when it collides with an enemy.

I do have one question that may be over the scope of this forum. One thing I have not been able to figure is grabbing the score for a Facebook and Playfab leaderboard. I have it working if I manually enter an integer for score in
    PlayerPrefs.SetInt("HighScore", score); I haven't been able to figure out how to call the high score. I looked through the Singlehighscoremanager file but I cannot seem to grab the score. Is there a reference I am missing that would grab it. Or is it resetting after every scene and that is why it returns 0. I think knowing the reference to how the score is stores could help others looking to integrate a leaderboard into their project. Thank you again for this wonderful asset. The next project is going to be under the Corgi Engine. So far I have been able to accomplish everything i needed with that. Thanks again!

2. reuno

reuno

@Amateur_Professional > I'm not sure I understand the question right, but if you just want to get the current highscore, as explained in the documentation or comments, it's as simple as SingleHighScoreManager.GetHighScore().

3. Amateur_Professional

Amateur_Professional

I believe that is exactly what I was looking for. If it was in the documentation I must have overlooked it. Thank you for the super fast response.

4. jaelove

jaelove

Man I would love a sports oriented asset. That little game looks so cool. I would definitely purchase it day one.

reuno likes this.
  5. kolgans

kolgans

I have the engine on my mac, and whenever I try to drag any 3D object into the LevelManager from the prefabs folder the field doesn't populate. I tried several times I tried on your demos even though they only accept the models you have in the demo but I can't use my own characters, I am not sure what is the problem... Note it is working fine on Windows but on the mac I am not sure what is going on, is there a different method or steps?

6. reuno

reuno

You don't mention what field you're referring to, but if you're talking about the PlayableCharacters field, you need to put (as the name implies, or as the inspector, or the documentation, or the tutorials would have told you) a PlayableCharacter in it. So no, dragging any 3D object won't do.
    And by the way, please use the support email for support questions, if the documentation doesn't answer them, thanks.

7. Masivemono

Masivemono

Hello I bought the engine recently and I was watching the YouTube tutorial, a question the timespawner instantiates the objects forward instead of backwards, is it ok or is it a bug? in the tutorial of youtube the instances backwards, how can I fix it? Greetings, I leave a photo so you can see forwardts.PNG

8. reuno

reuno

@facha86 > There's no such thing as instantiating forward or backwards. Objects are spawned in the scene. That's all the (timed) spawner does. Then they move based on what you've told them to do. I'm guessing you've told your object to move to the right in this case. It's really hard to tell from that small screenshot and without more details though.

9. Amateur_Professional

Amateur_Professional

Hello Reuno,

I updated Unity, which was a mistake doing it so soon. I noticed that since the update none of the game over screens seem to show up. I am not sure if there is an immediate fix, but this may be an issue for others also.

Thank you
    -Mike

10. reuno

reuno

@Amateur_Professional > I just gave it a try (again, actually) using 2017.3.0f3 and didn't see any issue. The asset's been tested with the beta version too, no problem there either.
    Maybe you've changed something? Hard to tell what at this point. You should give it a try with a vanilla version of the asset.

11. Amateur_Professional

Amateur_Professional

I did your suggestion and it worked. I then quit unity and opened my project, and then it seemed to solve the issue. Thank you for answering so fast - again. Very much appreciated.

reuno likes this.
  12. brettboring

brettboring

Hey reuno hope all is well.

I decided to move my games specific methods out of the LevelManager/GUIManager by extending them as per the skytheory example

This works great until i try to access the extended singletons
    MyGameLevelManager > GUIManager works fine
    GUIManager > MyGameLevelManager wont work because MyGameLevelManager refers to LevelManager not MyGameLevelManager. Something to do with the instance always referring to the parent?

I tried to find a solution online but it's beyond my capabilities. Is this issue easily overcome?
    No problem if not I'll just keep things how they are now.
    Cheers.

13. reuno

reuno

@brettboring > It's hard to tell what you're doing wrong without actual code here. I'd suggest looking at the SkyTheory example indeed, it does work.

14. brettboring

brettboring

Nevermind, it's the way I've been piecing together my code as I learn. I need to restructure it.

Btw Overrides work great but this was the issue using Sky Theory as the example:

In SkyTheoryGUIManager.cs I add
    public GameObject TestObject;

In the SkyTheoryLevelManager.cs I can't do this
    GameObject Test = SkyTheoryGUIManager.Instance.TestObject;

Instead i have to reference the extended singleton in order to access any public variables/methods contained within it eg.
    _skyTheoryGUIManager = _skyTheoryGUIManager.GetComponent<SkyTheoryGUIManager>();

Now this will work
    GameObject Test =_skyTheoryGUIManager.TestObject;

15. reuno

reuno

@brettboring > I wouldn't go with _skyTheoryGUIManager = _skyTheoryGUIManager.GetComponent<SkyTheoryGUIManager>(); but as long as it works for you...
    The proper way would be to simply cache a reference to the new gui manager. Same result I guess :)

16. CulpeoStudios

CulpeoStudios

Anyone know how to get the Points to post to a google play leaderboard ? I'm using the "Simple leaderboard asset" I just don't know where to put the code "LeaderboardManager.ReportScore(score); piece of code. I can get the leaderboard to display but never adds the score. I don't know what manager to put that piece of code in. Levelmanager ? Game Manager ? and should it be "LeaderboardManager.ReportScore(Points)" ? I'm just desperate for help from someone that's been able to do it using this engine.

17. reuno

reuno

@CulpeoStudios > I don't know that asset, so I can't help, sorry.
    But really where you put it shouldn't matter. It's more when it's called that should matter, and that's up to you.

18. CulpeoStudios

CulpeoStudios

Hey Reuno,

I have your Sky Theory Demo set to also provide points over time/distance. However when the high score is set it shows the score with decimals. I changed it to an int in the singlehighscoremanager.cs and that removed the decimals when the highscore is displayed but the game its self still counts the points with decimals. so your highscore could end up displaying "Score:98" but the game is counting decimals so it shows "New Highscore: 97". The image below shows what I mean

Attached Files:

19. reuno

reuno

@CulpeoStudios > Why not change it everywhere then? Not sure what the problem is.

20. CulpeoStudios

CulpeoStudios

When I change points to an "int" the game doesn't count them anymore.The score just sits at "0" and the only way to gain points is to collect coins.

21. reuno

reuno

@CulpeoStudios > Well I guess then there are places where you didn't change it to an int. Look at the whole chain of events, not just one method.

22. CulpeoStudios

CulpeoStudios

I changed anything that said float to an int with no luck. Thanks though !

23. reuno

reuno

24. CulpeoStudios

CulpeoStudios

No errors. Just won't display a score at the top. No idea why. I changed Points to an int and pointspersecond. Nothing though. The GUI fix seems to work for now.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    reuno likes this.
  25. knuppel

knuppel

Hello, is it possible to mix infinite runner and corgi engine in project?

26. reuno

reuno

@knuppel > Technically yes, but it'll probably require some coding, and it's not something I'll provide support for.

27. ZayLong

ZayLong

Hi, bought the asset a couple years ago, love it. I had a question about how the spawners work because I'm having an issue with one.

The problem comes up when I have a Multiple Object Pooler with a Distance Spawner.

If some of the game objects in the pool are disabled. Then the rest of the game objects will overlap each other when they spawn.

Been trying to figure out why this happens for awhile now any help would be appreciated.

Here's the settings for the distance spawner, pool, and spawned object if that helps.

Attached Files:

28. reuno

reuno

@ZayLong > I'm not sure I understand your problem, and these settings don't help without more details. Maybe you could start by reading the documentation / watching the tutorials about spawners and object pools, they'd tell you all there is to know about them. If the problem persists, please use the support email and provide more details : version, how to reproduce in a demo level, where, etc.

29. borkbork

borkbork

Hi Reuno, what if I wanted to handcraft the platforms/landscape when using this as a 2d side scroller? (opposed to spawning small repeating chunks) Possible?

30. reuno

reuno

Vian2d likes this.
  31. Nekuneku

Nekuneku

Hello Reuno,

I was trying to link a toggle button to the Sfx bool in the sound manager, I tried to make it a public method so It will show in the " on value changed boolean " but I find it a little but intimidating to modify the sound manager script especially that it's all related with other scripts, I don't know if this is the right way of doing it or maybe it will need a whole different script to be attached to the sound manager

Any idea or help how to achieve that will be much appreciated

32. reuno

reuno

@Nsrafiq > There is no built in option for that right now, but it's coming in the next version (which should be out within a few weeks if all goes well).

33. Nekuneku

Nekuneku

Thank you for your feedback, I will be looking forward for that.

reuno likes this.
  34. mango14

mango14

Has anyone had issues with colliders and kill? For example, if i have a box collider --- i have issues when bumping under it. Instead, the flyer does not die. It will only fly with less force. However, if i hit same collider on side, it will properly die.

In the video i made i disabled most sprites so you can see the collider. I have tried with all types of colliders, even rotating the box one.
    https://www.useloom.com/share/8894575c5b5b43388ef2d19a0d886ef4

35. reuno

reuno

@mango14 > Hard to tell what's wrong from that video.
    Look at how it's done in the demo scenes.
    If you reproduce the problem in one of the demo scenes, then it's a bug, and in this case please report it to me and I'll fix it.
    If you don't, then it's probably your setup that is at fault. In this case, compare with the demo scenes for differences and clues.

And in your case, if we're talking about the KillsPlayerOnTouch class (you don't mention what class you're using), then it works with Unity's triggers. Triggers don't have a direction, there's no difference whether you're entering from one side or the other. Might be also a good idea to check out the actual code of classes you work with to get a better understanding of how things work!

36. mango14

mango14

I rebuilt the game and do not have the same issue. it was very odd to say the least.

37. reuno

reuno

@mango14 > I'm glad it's working now!

38. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I submitted v1.6 of the Infinite Runner Engine to the Asset Store yesterday.
    It comes with a brand new demo level, and a bunch of fixes and improvements.

Here are the full release notes :

- Adds a new demo, Downhill, inspired by games such as Tiny Wings or Ski Safari, and based on linked curved surfaces.
    - Adds a start screen Options menu, with an option to turn sound fx or music on or off from the start screen
    - Adds a level selection screen demo for the Downhill scene, easy to adapt to any other scene
    - Exposes two jump tweak variables in the inspector : ground distance tolerance and minimal delay between jumps
    - Improves timed spawner's reliability
    - Adds a GoalReached game status
    - Fixes a minor countdown issue
    - Requires Unity 2018.1 or more

I hope you'll like this new version!
    As usual, expect a few days of delay while Unity validates the update.

Edit : it's available for download. That was fast!

Last edited: May 14, 2018
    Nekuneku and josker like this.
  39. luftwaffe2020

luftwaffe2020

Hello !

Impressed after seeing Asset trailer.
    I have a doubt.

I am referring to this, Multiple characters running (Like Zombie Tsunami )

Can I make a 2.5 D runner game with this multiple character run ?
    Can add extra character to squad by catching a power up. and even one character fell down, rest will run.

is this possible?

Thanks.

40. reuno

reuno

@luftwaffe2020 > There's indeed an example in the engine with multiple characters, so yes.

41. Zdemo

Zdemo

Did someone tried 3D wall / slopes / Terrain spawning? Is that possible with this asset? ( Example:
    )

42. reuno

reuno

@Zdemo > You can absolutely do that with the engine, yes. No need for any additional code or anything, it'll work out of the box. I'd probably use either a DistanceSpawner or a LinkedSpawner for this, both would work, but the LinkedSpawner seems like the easiest to setup for something like this.

43. csoto

csoto

This package may be what we are looking for. Been reading up on the forum, and seeing the videos...Got a couple of questions.: is there a way of doing power ups? Also is a store a possibility or would that be another package? Any thoughts. Thanks

44. reuno

reuno

@csoto > That'd depend on what you mean by power ups? There are many different items and pickable examples, and an inventory system, if that answers your question.
    And there's no store, but again, there's an inventory system, so turning that into a store is just a matter of implementing a transaction system.
    By the way you can check a full list of features over at http://corgi-engine.moremountains.com/, if it's not listed there, it's likely not in the package :)

45. csoto

csoto

Thanks, that was fast! Looking for the 2d3d endless game solution. Does Corgi have these tools also? have they been merged?
    By power ups I mean, hitting and item and changing characters(main) or adding elements to the character.
    I will look into the inventory system...

46. reuno

reuno

@csoto > Oh my bad, I thought this was the Corgi Engine topic.
    So let me answer that again, about the Infinite Runner Engine this time :
    - there are pickable items, but no inventory
    - there's no store
    Sorry about the mixup :)

47. reuno

reuno

48. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

Reuno, would this engine be suitable for a top down 2d car infinite running segment, with projectiles you can shoot from the car or would I be better off doing my own? I want to have a couple different levels to mix the gameplay of game up. I already use the Corgi Engine in my game. Basically I am talking a "shmup" or space shooter, only using cars.

49. reuno

reuno

@jasonxtate66 > It'd probably serve as a good basis, yes. You should probably look at the list of features to see if it matches what you have in mind though.

50. jasonxtate66

jasonxtate66

It's mainly intended to be a side scrolling Infinite Runner though, correct? Not from the top down perspective?