Search Unity

[RELEASED] 2D+3D Infinite Runner Engine - new v1.6 : Downhill!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 31, 2015.

1. -Aymeric-

-Aymeric-

Hi @reuno is there any reasons that PoolObjects aren't added to the ObjectPooler transform? It would be easier that way to go through them.

EDIT: in fact, just link the PoolObjects parent to the ObjectPooler transform (so we don't have position issue and keep the links).

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. reuno

reuno

@-Aymeric- > Yes but in that case if you move your spawner it'd move all objects :)

3. Carl201010

Carl201010

As ever from Reuno, an excellently structured and documented engine. His stuff is just such fun to work with! I put a small game together a couple of months ago, mostly for the fun of it. It's available for iOS, Android and Amazon, you can take a peek here: Lonely Robot (it's free). Funny thing is, it shifted a fair-few copies in Thailand and China - no idea why that might be! Any way though, if you're looking for a solid, extensible and downright fun infinite runner engine - look no further.

ayk likes this.
  4. reuno

reuno

@Carl201010 > Thanks a lot for sharing this! I know what I'll be playing tonight!

5. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, I've just submitted v1.5 of the Infinite Runner Engine to the asset store.
    It doesn't change much, but puts the asset in a nice and stable state, ready for more!

As usual, expect up to 3 weeks for the store to accept the update.
    Here's the changelog for this new version:
    - Adds a new Start Screen
    - Adds parallax options for UI Raw Images
    - Fixes situations where the LinkedPlatforms images would be missing
    - Fixes a typo in the Parallax documentation
    - Fixes an edge case where the countdown wouldn't be displayed properly

ayk and jGate99 like this.
  6. creepco

creepco

Hello Reuno, I'm using the 2D Minimal template, and I've successfully added pickups using a spawner.
    Question: is there a way to spawn the pickups so that they sit above the platforms, say, 1 unit above? Right now they spawn sometimes in/under the platforms, especially platforms that sit high.
    Thanks!

7. reuno

reuno

@creepco > Yes, of course, just setup some offset on your spawner.
    You can learn more about how to do that in the spawner's dedicated documentation.

8. Mcg

Mcg

hi would take much reworking to allow for movement to work on two axis like X+Y not just either X or Y?

Thanks

9. reuno

reuno

@Mcg > If you're talking about the character's movement, and want to do something like a classic sidescroller shooter (think Gladius, R-Type, that kind of stuff), then it'd be very easy to do. If that's not what you mean I'd need more details.

10. Mcg

Mcg

I mean for example in the Flight of the Albatross level to also move the character vertically as well as horizontally

11. reuno

reuno

@Mcg > Well then no, it wouldn't be too hard. Basically just duplicating the horizontal move method to handle vertical move.

12. Mcg

Mcg

okay thanks for the info , awesome asset! Now I can use it after having it for a while :p

reuno likes this.
  13. Mcg

Mcg

Having a lot of fun with the package it's structured very well! Having problem-solving a tiny issue though with the controlled character being stuck against the boundary area this is also in the Flight of the Albatross demo (using a keyboard to test this) and requires a key input to be pressed twice the first being to get unstuck then the second input to actually move away. I've tried other methods than using clamp but issue persists :(

14. reuno

reuno

@Mcg > It doesn't require two input presses to get unstuck. But depending on how fast you were going, and accounting for inertia, you may need a longer press. You can solve this by reducing the inertia. Or you could add a behaviour that makes touching a boundary reset the movement. But in this case you'd probably also want to animate that transition, otherwise your albatross will sort of glitch.

15. khanhhn

khanhhn

Hi reuno!!.. I have a problem that,
    in the FlightOfTheAlbatross demo.. I can't render water plane when run on android

16. reuno

reuno

@khanhhn > Oh that's entirely possible. Unity shaders support widely differs from one device to the other.
    I think it can also be affected by quality settings. I'm afraid I don't have a solution for that :(

17. khanhhn

khanhhn

:'( demo of U on Chplay is the same.. dont have water plan in it :'(
    p/s: sorry my english skill not well!

18. reuno

reuno

@khanhhn > As I said, this kind of shader is not supported by all devices, especially on Android.
    It'll work on some phones, but not on older ones.

19. khanhhn

khanhhn

yeah.. thanks for your reply. and I fixed this.. my device use Opengl 3.0.. and in shader code is exclude gles3 :))))

And can you tell me , how to build for opengl2.0

20. reuno

reuno

@khanhhn > Glad you fixed it!
    Again, that shader is provided as is, it's very likely not to work on older devices / setups.
    Not sure if or how it'd work on opengl2.0.
    These scenes are just placeholders, you're supposed to use the engine to create something new, compiling these would be kind of pointless so supporting all devices with demo shaders would be useless.

khanhhn likes this.
  21. Diego89

Diego89

Hello I'm Diego,

First I do not know if this is the right area for asking this.

I'm Diego, a couple of weeks ago I bought the infinity engine and I'm very happy with; it is a great plug-in with great documentation. However I have a problem, I'm trying to mix the infinity engine with Chronos with another plug-in , but the two do not mix very well because they are both singleton .

I was wondering it is possible to mix them? even in a super-not-clean-way

Thank you,
    Diego.

22. reuno

reuno

@Diego89 > Ideally, please use the support email for that kind of questions.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "they are both singleton". The Infinite Runner Engine is not a singleton. Classes are (sometimes) singletons. And there aren't only a few in the engine.
    I don't know Chronos, never heard of it, so without more details I'm not sure how I can help. I'd need more details.

23. reuno

reuno

Alright, so good news / bad news.
    The good news is the Infinite Runner Engine has got a brand new page : http://infinite-runner-engine.moremountains.com/
    The bad news is I broke my contact form for the past 24 hours. It's working now, but if you sent me an email yesterday via this form, better send it back, sorry!

24. jaelove

jaelove

Any news on the beat em up kit?

25. reuno

reuno

26. Diego89

Diego89

@reuno thank you for the info I have sent an email to the support with more detailed information

reuno likes this.
  27. creepco

creepco

@reuno, I looked and can't find the spawner specific information about this situation. I see how to set parameters for spawning objects/platforms, but I don't see any way to spawn platforms and coins separately but spaced programmatically. I looked at Sky Theory, which was the only one I found pickups, and see that you created prefabs of all of the possible screen layouts. I was hoping to create a separate platform spawner and pickup spawner, and somehow have them in sync with each other so that the pickups spawned dynamically and randomly, but a certain height above the randomly spawned platforms.
    Is this something that would work out of the box or will I need to custom build that functionality?
    Thanks again!

28. reuno

reuno

@creepco > Oh ok I thought you just wanted to apply offset to one spawner.
    Right now there's no mechanism in place to "synchronize" two spawners.
    The only spawners that can sync are the timed based ones, but then it's not random so probably not what you want.
    So if spawning groups, like it's done in the Sky Theory demo doesn't work for you, then that'd be something you'd have to implement yourself. If I ever get other requests for that feature I'll gladly add it to the list but it seems quite specific to me.

29. creepco

creepco

@reuno, thanks for the information! I figured it was fairly specialized, but wanted to ask before I modified.

reuno likes this.
  30. Evil-Otaku

Evil-Otaku

hey @reuno, I had a quick question. How easy would it be to integrate Corgi Engine local multiplayer? I had an ideal to create some 3D arcade shooter levels to break up the regular side scrolling action.

31. reuno

reuno

@Evil-Otaku > I'm not sure I understand the question, local multiplayer is already supported by the engine. What exactly do you mean?

32. Evil-Otaku

Evil-Otaku

Ah ok, i didn't know if the Infinite Runner Engine had multiplayer out of the box. I guess my question is will the Corgi Engine input managers work inside the Infinite Runner Engine?

33. reuno

reuno

@Evil-Otaku > Oh my bad, I thought it was the corgi engine's thread. Got confused there :)
    So no, the Infinite Runner Engine doesn't have local multiplayer support out of the box, the Corgi Engine does.
    As for mixing both, it'd probably take some work, they're different things, not meant to be used together like that, that'd be unmaintainable for me. But it certainly can be done, it's just a matter of rebinding inputs, mostly.

34. Evil-Otaku

Evil-Otaku

i gotcha. that's what i was afraid of. But I'll give it a shot and see what i can hack together.
    I might just use Rewired to handle the rebindings

35. crafTDev

crafTDev

Hey @reuno,

I've asked for this before, but is there any update on left, light, cross and t roads like temple run yet?

Thanks,
    jrDev

36. reuno

reuno

@jrDev > I don't give estimates, and I don't announce features in advance.
    In this case, I'm sorry to say T roads like temple run only got requested by very few people, so it's very low priority right now. If more people request it though, it'll climb higher on the todo list :)

37. reuno

reuno

I've just pushed a minor update to the Asset Store. As usual, it could take a day for Unity to validate it, or it could take a month. This new version is 1.5.1, and it requires Unity 5.6.1 or higher.

Here are the release notes :
    • Objects pools can now mutualize their waiting pools to avoid unnecessary duplicates
    • Adds an option to (not) nest objects in a waiting pool but rather have them at top level in the hierarchy, which can slightly improve performance in certain situations
    • Fixes Life Lost Effect in the Jelly Forest demo scene

As you can see it's mostly performance related, and optional, so it shouldn't break anything. Still, backup your project before updating just to be sure.

38. devon5

devon5

Hi @reuno ,
    I am using this amazing engine to create my own game. However, I got a problem, I would like to create a game which is not an infinite stage, when the player go to the goal, the stage is cleared.

I would like to change the game status in the GameManager. but there is no suitable status like "finish" or "win".
    Do you have any suggestions for this case?
    Or can we have more status in the future release?
    Thank you very much.

39. reuno

reuno

@devon5 > I can definitely add more status, sure. I can add "GoalReached" for example? Would you want some others? In the meantime the easiest way is to just modify the class to add yours. These enums are one of the things that bother me the most, they're one of the last things in the engine that you can't override, but I haven't found a better solution yet.

40. devon5

devon5

Hi @reuno ,
    Hmm, I haven't think of other game status that I need so far. I think the best solution is to override the gameManager class but it seems there is no way to override an Enum declaration now like you mentioned. I will try to modify the base class as an workaround now. Thanks for the advice.

reuno likes this.
  41. reuno

reuno

[Shameless unrelated self promotion] I took part in the Ludum Dare 39 gamejam this weekend, and created a game in less than 72 hours, from scratch. It's called PowerPlay, and it's about one guy standing against an army of robots in a rugby match. Of course it's made with Unity, and if people like it I may turn it into a proper ball sports asset, as I ended up implementing a lot of ball related stuff (passes, throws...) that didn't make it into the final cut. Making sports games is super fun, I hope I'll come back to that!

Here's the trailer for it:

You can get the game for free on itch.io, and there's a web version too (but really get the PC or Mac versions, they're better).

Vian2d, ayk and rrahim like this.
  42. rrahim

rrahim

The game looks great. Congrats.

A sports related asset is a good idea.

reuno likes this.
  43. karmik

karmik

Hi I am customizing backwards dragon level. When ever the level starts the text BackwardsDragon pops up before the Pause button. I have changed test to something else under Level Text but when ever the game starts initially "BackwardsDragon" test shows up for a while and later the text i input under Level. Can you please tell me where should i make change so that i can change the initial display text from BackwardsDragon to something else.

44. reuno

reuno

@karmik > The BackwardsDragon text doesn't "pop up". It's also not a text :)
    It's just an image with a moving object script attached, it's present in the scene before the start...
    If you don't want it, just remove it.
    And please use the support email for questions like that, thanks.

45. thefox

thefox

Hi Renu

I have a clean project with a clean package. The player settings are ios.

In none of the demos the jump is not working. I am just testing this out....is there a setting I need to apply?

I am using unity 2017.1

Many thanks

46. reuno

reuno

@thefox > It's Reuno, not Renu, and please use the support email for support requests, thanks.
    There's no special setting to apply. It works out of the box.
    I'm gonna need more info on this issue too, what version of the engine? Do you get any error? Does it work in the editor? What device are you testing on? That kind of stuff.

47. thefox

thefox

Thanks Reuno. Apologies.

48. reuno

reuno

49. jeffybhai

jeffybhai

when I opened the project on unity 2017.1 it shows the following error

error cs0136: A local variable named "i" cannot be declared in this scope because it would give a different meaning to "i", which is already used in a " child" scope to denote something else.

Help me!!!

50. reuno

reuno

@jeffybhai > Please use the support email and send me more info about this (at least what class gives you this error, version number, etc), thanks.