Search Unity

[RELEASED] 2D+3D Infinite Runner Engine - new v1.6 : Downhill!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by reuno, Dec 31, 2015.

1. ayk

ayk

Hi Reuno,

I haven't bought your asset yet, but it looks promising for what I'm thinking of building. I want to make a casual infinite driving experience, where the player drives through different environments which are randomly chosen by the engine after a certain amount of time. So, for example, the player starts off driving through a city, then after about a minute the scene changes to a beach or something.

Does Infinite Runner Engine support dynamically loading and transitioning to new areas like this out of the box, or is that something I'd have to code myself?

2. reuno

reuno

@ayk > The engine includes a ScenarioManager that takes care of that.

3. ayk

ayk

Awesome! I'll pick it up tomorrow and check it out. Thanks for your replies, here and on the Highroad thread.

reuno likes this.
  4. Carl201010

Carl201010

The scenario manager is great, it makes changing scenes based on either time or points really straightforward, but is there a way to make health and points persist between scenes? Is this handled by MMEventManager?

5. reuno

reuno

@Carl201010 > Well no, the MMEventManager, as the name implies, simply handles events (sending them, receiving them).
    Right now health and points are not saved from scene to scene, as in most infinite runner games you'll have by definition an infinite scene. But it can be easily done if you create a persistent singleton (the class is included and there are examples of that) that saves it just before switching scene, for example.

6. Carl201010

Carl201010

Sure; I guess a better solution for making substantial changes to background / platforms over time / points might be to use spawners for everything and trigger them with events? Could this handle changes to player characteristics too? Changing your player (say) from a running prefab to a flying one?

7. reuno

reuno

Well sure, you can do anything you want with events. They're just a way to let other objects know something has happened. So for example let's say you have a runner going through a forest level and then at some point there's no more ground because it just exploded. You could, via the ScenarioManager, trigger an event called "NoMoreGround". Then have a component on your character that listens to this type of event, and when caught, activates another component on your character called Wings that makes it fly.

8. Carl201010

Carl201010

Got it! Thanks!

reuno likes this.
  9. omar717

omar717

Hey, this is an awesome asset! I was wondering how I could make it possible to jump off from my own made platforms and models? I'm using the Minimal3D as a base, and when I import my own platforms the player will not jump on them.

Is there some scripting I need to do or something that needs to be changed?

10. reuno

reuno

@omar717 > Well yes, there are a few things you need to setup. No scripting though. Collider, layer, rigidbody, and probably a spawner. It's all explained in the documentation though, so it shouldn't be too hard. Send me an email if you still have trouble setting up your platforms :)

omar717 likes this.
  11. omar717

omar717

Yeah I had most of that setup, just forgot the layer haha. Thanks!

reuno likes this.
  12. trnlvr

trnlvr

Hi Renaud,

I started to play around with your asset.
    Everything looks great but I run into some errors and I don't know whether they are bugs or it's because of my Unity version (5.5.0f3).
    I'm running BackwardsDragon and I get this exception:
    ArgumentException: Input Button Pause is not setup.
    I added it from Edit -> Project Settings -> Input but then I realized that MainAction is missing. I looked in HandleKeyboard function inside Common/Scripts/Managers/InputManager.cs and indeed these are used there but are not defined in the InputManager. Do I have to define them manually or there was some fishy behavior when I imported the asset?

Another thing that I noticed is that the dragon (the sprite) is only visible in the scene view but not in the game view (when I run the game of course).

Thanks for your help!

13. reuno

reuno

@unichiduci > It looks like something went wrong when you imported the asset. How did you proceed?
    The "best" way to do it is to create a new project, using Unity's latest version, and to import the asset. Maybe try that, and if the problem persists, send me an email on the support email address.

14. trnlvr

trnlvr

Fixed it!
    It seems that there was some kind of weird behavior because I was importing some other assets in my project, I mean along with the InfiniteRunnerEngine I was also importing some other Unity assets... Now I created a brand new project, I only imported your asset and everything runs smoothly! Thanks for your quick response!

15. reuno

reuno

16. reuno

reuno

Good news everyone, v1.4 of the Infinite Runner Engine is now live on the asset store!
    Here's a brief video rundown of the new stuff, including the new Vertical level :

And here are the complete release notes :
    - Adds one way platforms example.
    - Adds support for swipes
    - Adds the possibility to grab multiple speed multipliers items in a row.
    - Adds a way to turn elements of a MultipleObjectPooler on or off, on demand
    - Jumps can now be fixed height or proportional to press length on Jumper characters
    - Removes a dependency to the SoundManager from the Achievements Displayer
    - Fixes potential foreground display glitches in the JellyForest demo scene
    - Updates PostProcessing effects to 1.0.1
    - Moves to asset text serialization
    - Moves everything that doesn't need to be in a Resources folder for dynamic load into Prefabs folders, reducing build weight

I hope you'll like this new version!

trnlvr, josker and ayk like this.
  17. trnlvr

trnlvr

Hi Renaud,
    I am trying the latest version of the engine and it seems there is a bug, at least on Android. I just compiled everything and created the APK. When I run SkyTheory I can't actually start the game. The Logo and TapToFly button stay on the screen, even if I tap the screen. Nevertheless, the ship runs and gets crushed in the mountains (in the background). Then, the game over button, the score and the highscore are placed on top of the screen where the logo and the TapToFly buttons are already displayed. I don't get this behavior on PC. I can also pause the game (even if it's not started) by clicking the invisible pause button at the top left of the screen.
    If you want I can provide you the APK.

One more thing that I noticed: I can't find Vertical demo within the assets, even though I create a brand new project and import the project from the asset store.
    In fact the content that I get is version 1.3...I don't know why I can't get the new stuff.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  18. reuno

reuno

@unichiduci > I couldn't reproduce the problem, so I'm not sure what's happening here.
    It could be because you're running an old version though. v1.4 requires Unity 5.6 (or more), so if you don't get the new stuff that's probably because you don't have the latest Unity version.
    Try updating (backup your project first maybe), and let me know if the problem persists. If it does, please use the support email address, thanks!

19. brettboring

brettboring

Yeah i had 5.5 and it was showing as 1.4 but with no update option. Had to upgrade to 5.6 to get the new update.

20. trnlvr

trnlvr

yes indeed, I updated unity to 5.6 and all my issues are gone!
    Thanks for your replies.

reuno likes this.
  21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Reuno,

Im playing around with lane runner and I would like to know if I can change the number of lanes to 3? Also I would like a different camera view to zoom on the character and the 3 lanes, but everytime I move the camera in the scene it doesnt update in the game.

thanks!

22. reuno

reuno

23. reuno

reuno

@jkibbe3d > Missed that second question, sorry. The camera's position can be tweaked from the CameraBehavior's inspector. If you just move it in the scene it'll reset to the values set in the inspector. Alternatively you can get rid of the CameraBehavior if you don't want to use its features, and use a regular camera instead.

24. jGate99

jGate99

@reuno
    Please check this, player dies first but count down still keep continues.
    http://www.giphy.com/gifs/3o7btOt0cw9NcnyMaQ

I also notice in some demoes that player never appears which means i have to press button to appear which is fine HOWEVER in some demos player appears with count down. BUT one of those demos player die during count down.

Great work as usual.

25. reuno

reuno

@JohnGate > That's "normal" behaviour, right now there's no mechanism to check whether or not there's ground below the player to prevent spawning if there's not. It's easy to add though, but really depends on each game. So really the player either spawn on time or when you press the main button, depending on the level's settings.

26. jGate99

jGate99

Alright thanks

reuno likes this.
  27. -Aymeric-

-Aymeric-

Hey there,

After the Corgi Engine, I'm giving a try to the Infinite Runner Engine :)

The game I'm making is a climbing game. 3D mountains block are generated on the fly, we suppose they can tile fine together. So at the opposite of the demo, the mountain width is always full of random tiles (there is no blank) which Spawner should I use? It would be a distance spawner combined with a filler (that I've to create)?

Also my game suppose the player must make some actions (specific tap) to move on. So PoolableObject shouldn't move on their own. In your demos the player never move through the level, it's the level which is moving. I must do the opposite, right? Any clues?

28. reuno

reuno

@-Aymeric- > If you want to spawn platforms that tile, a distance spawner with a zero x (?) gap should do the trick.
    And in all cases I'd recommend having only the level move, not the player (that's the whole trick). In your case you'll probably want to prevent the world from moving except on certain occasions. I wouldn't try changing the logic though.

29. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

Hi,

Is there any known problems with objects created with ProBuilder?
    I'm just creating a simple cube with ProBuilder, adding the Moving Object script, and the cube doesn't move, only its collider moves. If I do the same thing with a cube created with Unity it works fine.

Thank you.

30. reuno

reuno

@HugoCosta > I've never tried it myself so I don't really know.
    Not sure how or why only the collider would move. Could you post a screenshot of your object's hierarchy and component stack? Maybe I'll be able to tell why it behaves like that.

31. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

Wow! Thanks for the quick response.
    To get a clean screenshot, i've started over with the same demo scene (minimal 3D), and created the ProBuilder cube, added the Moving Object script, and ... it worked. I guess I did something earlier that was causing the problem.
    If i get the same problem I will ask for your help again.

Thank you again.

32. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

I think this is a problem with ProBuilder and not your asset.
    The Mesh Renderer in the object gets disabled when i run the scene, if i enable it when running, the object moves as expected.

33. reuno

reuno

@HugoCosta > Weird indeed. I don't see what in the engine would disable your mesh. The engine can work with anything in theory : sprite, meshes, spine, etc. You could move entire chunks of Unity objects with it.

34. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

Finally got it.
    It's a ProBuilder feature, not a problem. There is an action that you can apply to an object that is called "Set Collider", and i was expecting that it would automatically set the collider to the shape of the object. But what it does is "transform" the object into a collider disabling the Mesh Renderer on play.
    So everything is working as intended. My bad.

35. reuno

reuno

@HugoCosta > Oh ok! I'm glad you figured it out, and thanks for sharing the solution!

36. Cjad

Cjad

Does the new vertical handle portrait mode instead of landscape well? Including auto-resizing on devices, etc?

37. reuno

reuno

@Cjad > Yes, it's a portrait mode demo. As for auto resizing, I'm not sure what you mean, there's no such thing as auto resizing in Unity (or in mobile dev in general). It's not magic.

38. Cjad

Cjad

Hmm, the vertical demo is locked in Landscape orientation on my Android phone.
    As far as auto-resize, I mean for different screen sizes on various devices.
    Thanks again,
    -Chad

39. reuno

reuno

@Cjad > You can change orientation in Unity's player settings, like for any project.

40. Cjad

Cjad

I have not purchased the asset yet. I am running the Play store demo app.

41. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

Hi,

I've runned into a problem, and I can't tell what it is. I've made a demo project to show you what's happening, and so you can take a look.

What I did:

1. Opened the minimal3D demo scene.
    2. Created a Unity Cube and added the Poolable Object, Moving Object and Out of Bounds Recycle scripts to it.
    3. Created a prefab out of it that is store in "_MyAssets"
    4. Added this new cube prefab to the scene PlatformSpawner
    5. Reseted the Rotation and Gap to 0
    6. Saved the scene into "_Scenes" (the problem happens right away before saving, so I guess it's not from saving the scene to another location)

What happens? The player can't jump after jumping on this new cube objects.
    If I change the Game Object to Pool in the PlatformSpawner back to the 3DPlatform prefab provided, the player jumps, no problem.

I can't see the diference between my cube and your 3DPlatform.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2017
  42. reuno

reuno

@HugoCosta > Please use the support email for requests like that.
    And you probably forgot to set the layer properly.

43. HugoCosta

HugoCosta

Hi.

I will do that about the support.
    That was the problem, the layer was no set to "Ground".

Thank you.

pupsnoek likes this.
  44. CulpeoStudios

CulpeoStudios

Is there a way to remove the reactors from the cave racer ship ? I'm just starting out and I remove the particle effect that's on the ship but when the game plays all the changes just go back to default and the reactors come back.

45. reuno

reuno

@CulpeoStudios > Of course there is, just remove them on the prefab. It looks like you're modifying the ship in the scene, which obviously won't work. And again, for requests like this, please use the support email address, thanks.

46. -Aymeric-

-Aymeric-

Hi Reuno, I'm using the Spawners and more particularly the Distance Spawner. Is there any way to fill the Level Manager Recycle Bounds?

I'm creating mountains, without gap between them, and I want them to prefill the Level Manager Recycle Bounds when the game start. Could it be done with the engine, or I should make my own Spawner? Thanks!

47. reuno

reuno

@-Aymeric- > I'm not sure I understand the question correctly.
    You'd like to have objects spawned before the game starts so it fills the level?
    If that's the case that's not built-in in spawners right now (although it's a nice idea for an update).
    In the meantime you can do as is done in the demo levels, with pre-positioned objects, but it may not fit all use cases (especially no-gaps situations). I'll add that to the todo list.

48. -Aymeric-

-Aymeric-

Exactly! I tricked it adding in the Start Method:
    Code (csharp):
    1. DistanceSpawn(Vector3.down * 5);

49. creepco

creepco

Hello Reuno, I'm using Infinite Runner but manually building out each level on the stage, rather than using spawners, and it's working great!
    My question: when the player dies, would there be an easy way to have the landscape go back to the spot where they died and restart there?
    If not, is there a quick and easy call I could make to restart the level, without going to the scenario page?
    Thanks, and what a great engine!!

50. reuno

reuno

@creepco > The very easy way would be to just reload the scene entirely when the player dies. Apart from that there's no built-in method (as the whole point of the engine is to recycle stuff) but you could implement one.