Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] 2021.7.1 Smart Lighting 2D

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Qzia, Dec 7, 2018.

1. D_Kond

D_Kond

Thank you a lot.

2. wiganda

wiganda

Just wondering how to set up the scene so that 'taller' objects cast part of their shadow onto 'shorter' objects? I see this is happening in your daylighting vid example on this forum but it doesn't appear to happen in the demo example with the asset (namely the demo sample in the Finished > Day Lighting examples folder).

I was also wondering if there is a way to reduce draw calls when using simple day lighting, so, a single one direction light source that never moves. As right now every single object that has a daylight component on it adds more draw calls, so it becomes pointless if you have several hundred static sprites that need shadows from day light. Is it not possible to draw the shadows in a single draw call or something? I've tried grouping objects as children in a single object so only using a single day lighting component then enabling apply to children but that also doesn't help with draw calls if the children have different sprites. Please advise.

3. Qzia

Qzia

@wiganda There are a few ways to achieve additional "who is on what" logics.
    1. Using layers. You can set their logics in Tools/Light2D->Buffer Presets->Day Layers
    Add the layers in Tools/Light2D->Day Layers

2. Using sorting, but that setting would sort objects by their position, rather than height. I could probably add sorting option to include height in calculations.

Regarding draw calls, I am working on better performing solutions. Most of draw calls probably are caused by "mask" operations rather than shadow casting. Shadows are batched and should be 1 batch for all objects.

I suggest joining discord, I would reply faster there.

4. ch1ky3n

ch1ky3n

Hi, does anyone know how to sort a shadow projected by Light Collider2d?
    I read the documentation but couldn't find any.
    The shadow appears in front of my other object such as the enemy, where it is supposed to be projected on ground level only.

Thank You for the great asset!

5. ch1ky3n

ch1ky3n

Solved by going to discord and having a live session with the dev
    Thank You

SimDevs and Qzia like this.
  6. Wailander

Wailander

Hi, I'm trying to make a light change based on music, I made a script which change the color alpha and the size of the 2d light. On PC everything is fine, but on android I get 4fps, but not because of the load, it's mostly waiting until 250ms.

I checked targetFramerate is set to 60, any idea ?

7. Qzia

Qzia

Try changing light resolution in Tools/Lighting2D->Quality->Light Resolution = between 128-512
    Changing the size of the light triggers it to update.

Also if you have lights that does not cast shadows, you can use light sprite component.
    Would be great if you would use discord, so we could check the issue more in-depth.

8. HandsomeDim

HandsomeDim

Hi,

I am setting a top down game with a camera looking downwards, and so I am using the "XZFLIPPED" orientation in the light profile settings. I am noticing two things with shadows using this orientation.
    1. The shadow does not scale with the sprite transform's Y value, although it still scales with the X value. If the sprite's transform's Y value is changed to above or below 1, the shadow does not change size.
    2. If a sprite's Light Collider shadow type is set to 2D or 3D collider, the shadow ignores the sprite's Z position. It will still follow the sprite's X position, but the shadow won't move along the Z axis along with the sprite, being stuck at the 0 position.
    These seem to work fine on the XY orientation, when I was first testing everything initially. But when I rotated everything 90 degrees, I noticed these two issues pop up. I also reproduced this on a fresh project, using the latest Unity version, so I am not sure if I am missing something, or if this is something that needs to be looked at.

Thanks

9. Unrighteouss

Unrighteouss

Hello,

I have question concerning using a perspective camera. I prefer using the perspective camera to simplify parallax, as I generally have many background objects and dislike attaching scripts to each one.

I found the 3D perspective camera demo in the package, but I don't quite understand how to set it up. I've tried copying the way the cameras are arranged, but with my limited understanding of how it's functioning, I can't quite get it to work.

Is there information on this somewhere that I could take a look at? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

10. tbngrd

tbngrd

Came here to inquire about the same thing as the poster above me. Asset looks extremely promising, but I'm also using a perspective camera in my 2D game (though all non-foreground/background sprites are on the same Z-value: 0).

You mentioned a potential workaround for this scenario to a previous poster - is this workaround possible in the current version?

Some of the examples that use your asset look truly mind-blowing! Would love to be able to use it.

11. Adoll

Adoll

Hi, I am wondering if this asset works with the Spine animation asset. Here is the LINK to the Unity runtime package that includes Example files. By working I mean casting both hard and soft shadows and various lighting effects.

12. Qzia

Qzia

@Unrighteouss
    @HandsomeDim
    @tbngrd
    @Adoll

if you questions are unsolved, I'd suggest to join discord channel so I could walk through all questions.
    I do not get any notifications for the messages in the forum, most of support is happening on discord.

Discord Link: https://discord.gg/AktrfBe

@Adoll the asset works with everything, it depends what you want to achieve, shader caster types are listed in the asset description.

@tbngrd There is perspective camera demo, it is possible to use it with the lighting.

@Unrighteouss contact me on discord, I would show step by step how to set it up.
    There is "sample" 2D camera to project 2D lighting on specific plane, lighting is still 2D but on given Z axis.

13. Rachan

Rachan

Hi there!

this Asset is the best!

But I wondering how to prevent a lights from floating?
    it seem like 2D light position are not at right point
    it looks like floating of screen a bit

how to set a right position of those 2D lights?

Thank!!!

14. juicedup

juicedup

does this asset require the use of the URP 2d renderer?
    can it work on any urp renderer even a 3d one??

15. Qzia

Qzia

It should work on all pipelines. It just needs orthographic camera to work properly.

16. zhepama

zhepama

unity2022.2.2

StackOverflowException: The requested operation caused a stack overflow.
    UnityEditor.ShaderUtil.GetMaterialPropertyNames (UnityEngine.Object[] mats) (at <32081d3c19434ec5866de68968d88333>:0)
    UnityEditor.MaterialEditor.GetMaterialPropertyNames (UnityEngine.Object[] mats) (at <32081d3c19434ec5866de68968d88333>:0)
    UnityEditor.MaterialEditor.ApplyMaterialPropertyDrawers (UnityEngine.Object[] targets) (at <32081d3c19434ec5866de68968d88333>:0)
    UnityEditor.MaterialEditor.ApplyMaterialPropertyDrawersFromNative (UnityEngine.Material material) (at <32081d3c19434ec5866de68968d88333>:0)
    UnityEngine.Material..ctor (UnityEngine.Shader shader) (at <d448879b3c6d4f179ba4e6018738dc93>:0)
    FunkyCode.LightingMaterial.Load (System.String path) (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Material/LightingMaterial.cs:36)
    FunkyCode.Lighting2DMaterial.BumpMask.GetNormalMapSpriteObjectToLight () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Material/Extended/BumpMask.cs:40)
    FunkyCode.Lighting2DMaterial.BumpMask.Initialize () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Material/Extended/BumpMask.cs:25)
    FunkyCode.Lighting2DMaterials.Initialize () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Material/Lighting2DMaterials.cs:48)
    FunkyCode.Rendering.Manager.Main.UpdateMaterials () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Rendering/Manager.cs:259)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D.OnEnable () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:281)
    UnityEngine.GameObject.AddComponent (System.Type componentType) (at <d448879b3c6d4f179ba4e6018738dc93>:0)
    UnityEngine.GameObject.AddComponent[T] () (at <d448879b3c6d4f179ba4e6018738dc93>:0)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D.Get () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:60)
    FunkyCode.Rendering.Manager.Main.UpdateCameras () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Rendering/Manager.cs:69)
    FunkyCode.Rendering.Manager.Main.InternalUpdate () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Rendering/Manager.cs:10)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D.UpdateInternal () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:222)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D.LateUpdate () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:189)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D.OnEnable () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:284)
    UnityEngine.GameObject.AddComponent (System.Type componentType) (at <d448879b3c6d4f179ba4e6018738dc93>:0)
    UnityEngine.GameObject.AddComponent[T] () (at <d448879b3c6d4f179ba4e6018738dc93>:0)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D.Get () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:60)
    FunkyCode.Rendering.Manager.Main.UpdateCameras () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Rendering/Manager.cs:69)
    FunkyCode.Rendering.Manager.Main.InternalUpdate () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Rendering/Manager.cs:10)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D.UpdateInternal () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:222)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D.LateUpdate () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:189)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D.OnEnable () (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:284)
    UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent()
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D:Get() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:60)
    FunkyCode.Rendering.Manager.Main:UpdateCameras() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Rendering/Manager.cs:69)
    FunkyCode.Rendering.Manager.Main:InternalUpdate() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Rendering/Manager.cs:10)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D:UpdateInternal() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:222)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D:LateUpdate() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:189)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D:OnEnable() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:284)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D:Get() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:60)
    FunkyCode.Rendering.Manager.Main:UpdateCameras() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Rendering/Manager.cs:69)
    FunkyCode.Rendering.Manager.Main:InternalUpdate() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/Rendering/Manager.cs:10)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D:UpdateInternal() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:222)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D:LateUpdate() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:189)
    FunkyCode.LightingManager2D:OnEnable() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Components/Manager/LightingManager2D.cs:284)
    FunkyCode.Rendering.Manager.Main:InternalUpdate() (at Assets/Scripts/Core/Libs/SmartLighting2D/Scripts/<message truncated>

17. Qzia

Qzia

@zhepama going to be fixed in next release. Next week.

18. Avalin

Avalin

If Unity's 2D (URP) light system is very integrated into a project, how complex would it be to switch it out with this Smart Lighting 2D?

19. AleVerDes

AleVerDes

You will need to remove all light sources from scenes and prefabs so that the URP lighting does not affect the game and you can start implementing Smart Lighting.

20. AleVerDes

AleVerDes

Qzia, Tell me please, is there a way to stretch Light2D with a sprite in X and Y? I want to make a flashlight of different lengths depending on the position of the cursor, but I’m faced with the fact that my flashlight is always inscribed in a square. I’m trying to fix the source code, but it’s still a bit complicated, what if you have a method at hand that I don’t know about?