Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASE] Zombie Survivor - Game Template

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by fano_linux, Feb 10, 2013.

1. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

website was working, but now I get forwarded to a 'zpanel control panel' login for the hosting account page.

hmmm

2. StalledSanity

StalledSanity

Props to fano_linux. He went above and beyond to make sure this product made it to my hands. AAA product support from the start.

Thank you.

3. fano_linux

fano_linux

Thank you StalledSanity you are very kind.

@gekidoslair

After some problems with the server, i'm rebooting and changing things on the server, that's why you see that page, it will take just a few more minutes.

Thank you for your patience

4. fano_linux

fano_linux

Done... I hope now the website speed is good. Please any test are welcome.

Thank you all

5. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

site's working again.

6. fano_linux

fano_linux

yup, i did some changes on the server let's see if it will be better now

7. fano_linux

fano_linux

Did you guys know that the main char has more than 110 animations?
    For example

Granade aniamtions: Aim, shoot, look
    Car: drive car, idle_car, open door, close door, etc..
    Granade death (jump off explosion)
    Kicks, Melee attack (pistol and rifle)

and others...

Preview (do not contain all, there's more animations)

You can do more than you think with this pack, what is done is just an sample of the power of the content.

Thank you all

8. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

the library of animations is one of the main reasons I'm interested in the pack (plus my own day-z delusions) ;}

got the download links - looking forward to checking it out!

9. Archania

Archania

The amount of work that Fano_linux has done with this package is fantastic. It is a great starter kit.

10. fano_linux

fano_linux

@gekidoslair
    Nice, have a nice time with it :)

@Archania
    Thank you, i really appreciate your comment. And stay around i'm not going to stop here, there's so much ideas coming out.

Thank you all

11. fano_linux

fano_linux

Thanks to StalledSanity I was informed that the AnimationImporter.cs file was not changed about the unity 4 issue.

So please if you are a UNity 4 user open the file and at the line 26

change this
    Code (csharp):
    1. modelImporter.splitAnimations = true;
    To This
    Code (csharp):
    1. //modelImporter.splitAnimations = true;
    I changed the backup file, and that's why the update has not this line commented. Please forgive my mistake.

:)

12. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

weh, that was quite the download process. couple of things about your distribution:

1) you do not need to include any folders other than 'assets' and 'project settings' in the distribution. this should reduce the size a bit.
    [Correction: if you wanted to do this it would require that you set the version control option to 'use external meta files', which is a 'pro' feature and probably not what you'd want to do, so never mind ;} ]

2) what's the difference between v1 and v2? other than the fact that v2 is newer ;}

3) I could highly recommend that you get a proper download system that doesn't require the user to download 10+ separate rar files in order to get the project. Not sure if this is a limitation of your hosting or what, but there are very inexpensive hosting packages that should let you have whatever size file you want on it without problems. Being presented with a 2 page long list of downloads from a single product is a bit intimidating.

4) have you looked into packaging it as a standard unity package? this would be much cleaner / simpler to handle from the end user perspective than just a raw dump of the unity project itself. integration into an existing project (as one example) is obviously much more complicated without having a package. The main reason this is almost an essential is that this also makes updating the project (from the customer perspective) much easier as well (assuming we get any updates etc)...

Anyways, just my thoughts - this is such a cool package and you've obviously put a ton of thought work into it, the more success you have, the cooler features we may get ;}

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  13. fano_linux

fano_linux

@gekidoslair

First of all i appreciate your purchase and your comments.

1) you do not need to include any folders other than 'assets' and 'project settings' in the distribution. this should reduce the size a bit.
    [Correction: if you wanted to do this it would require that you set the version control option to 'use external meta files', which is a 'pro' feature and probably not what you'd want to do, so never mind ;} ]

I have such a fear of people not getting the project the way i' have left working on my own pc, that's why i copy everything, to maintain fidelity, call me crazy but that's my though. :) for sure i'll make some tests without the rest of the files to make sure it gets right for everyone.

2) what's the difference between v1 and v2? other than the fact that v2 is newer ;}

I've posted in page 4 if i'm not mistaken, all the major changes of the pack, most of them are new scripts, bug fixes and new models. But if your question is why i keep the 2 versions to download at the website, well beleave or not some people like and ask to keep this way, i'll leave it for a few days and i'll notify everyone and delete the files.

3) I could highly recommend that you get a proper download system that doesn't require the user to download 10+ separate rar files in order to get the project. Not sure if this is a limitation of your hosting or what, but there are very inexpensive hosting packages that should let you have whatever size file you want on it without problems. Being presented with a 2 page long list of downloads from a single product is a bit intimidating.

Good point, the files are splitted to save server memory (cause files are cached before downloaded, they are not downloaded directly) so bigger files, bigger amount of memory (lots of money to pay the cloud server = project fail). But for sure i'll take a look at a new solution thanks for pointing that.

4) have you looked into packaging it as a standard unity package? this would be much cleaner / simpler to handle from the end user perspective than just a raw dump of the unity project itself. integration into an existing project (as one example) is obviously much more complicated without having a package. The main reason this is almost an essential is that this also makes updating the project (from the customer perspective) much easier as well (assuming we get any updates etc)...

Yes i've though about it, the only problem is that unity uses a compression algorithm and then i can't compress it even more with rar (thinking about server space and download time). To use standard unity pack i have to use the other donwload solution with do not cache files downloading them directly.

"(assuming we get any updates etc)" haha pretty funny because this pack is an update, so you are getting updates, but like a said i'll update more this pack, i still have more ideas to bring.

Thank you.

14. gekidoslair

gekidoslair

Great to hear - I just stumbled upon this pack shortly before buying, so it's good to know that you are looking to continue updating. The one obvious update would be mecanim support. I don't fully understand how mecanim ties into the IK / event system yet, but my initial experiments with it lead me to believe that it's absolutely worth the work that it would take to update any project.

Overall, I like the feel of the pack alot - the controls and ambience feel alot like RE4 (which is a good thing), although you might want to consider other control schemes potentially to broaden the usability of the core design (a gta style 3rd person movement / camera system would be the obvious choice)....

15. fano_linux

fano_linux

Hi there gekidoslair, it's nice that you like the pack. You have showed a lot of ideas, i really appreciate all of them. The pack purpose is to give you guys a start point to create something very unique for your self by reading the documentation and seeing the working samples (demo scenes).

a gta style 3rd person movement / camera system
    I do not pretend to create a perfect out of the box solution to fit all needs, that's the point, by editing the pack you can do whatever you want, a new camera style, new AI behavior, new character, new animations, and so on... This is a very personal taste, each person has different taste of camera, movement, animation, the list of needs grows like a big tree.. If I would do all of it the pack should cost at least dozens of dollars :) by now i'm trying to add updates to the pack and maintain the price low so others can buy it too. Please, please, please don't get me wrong.

About the mecanim part i'm not considering it right now, because i didn't upgraded to unity 4 yet. As soon as i upgrade i'll take a look to upgrade the kit to mecanim too (but first i have to studdy unity 4 mecanim). What i know for sure (clients intel) is that the animations i've done works just great with mecanim and can be applied to another character cause i use 3ds max standard bone structure and naming convention.

I see the potential of the kit to help you out starting/continuing your project, and of course changing it to behave the way you need.

But again all of those ideas i'll keep in mind.

Thank you again.

16. fano_linux

fano_linux

Hey guys, as I said the girl is coming to play with us..

$girls.jpg

Stay around...

17. Venged

Venged

Cool! I'm looking forward to it. Enjoying working with this template! Thanks

18. Archania

Archania

This is something that I worked on over the weekend. Using Fano's guy and Ogier's makeYOURlevel, I came up with this. Still needs a lot of work but you can walk around and all. The camera still needs work so the guy can use the elevator, but the stairs work.
    http://archaniaworkshop.com/blog/ - it is the top post.

19. fano_linux

fano_linux

@Venged
    I'm glad you enjoy this pack. thank you guys for supporting this thread.

@Archania
    Keep it up, looking good so far. Like i said before you can solve the camera clipping issue you just need to add a layer to the walls and elevator called SceneOBJ and to the floor called Ground so the camera will not intersect those. To configure that go to PlayerCamera component at inspector and change the Mask variable to mixed: selecting Ground, SceneOBJ, Player and Zombie.
    At Cam Layer Mask: Change it only to Ground. It will help you out with the collisions.

I hope it help others too.

THank you all

20. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Hello, I tried to buy but I wont accept my american express? I have to transfer money to paypal which takes days :(

21. fano_linux

fano_linux

Hi there Devision4, let us talk in Private, i'll pm you the details.

Thank you

22. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Thank you for the help regarding paypal Fano! The asset is awesome. Its unbelievable how much we are getting for so less money! cant wait to see further updates especially the lady ;-)

23. fano_linux

fano_linux

Thank you Devision4 for sporting this project. Stay around I'll add more features soon.

Best regards

24. reaper7

reaper7

Is this pack compatible with a first person camera?

25. fano_linux

fano_linux

Hi there, I would have to change the Camera script to make it work with FPS style camera, but i believe it's possible to do so

26. reaper7

reaper7

Would be great to be able to switch between first and third person views ;)
    Also any timeframe to when you will be able to implement Mechanim within the package?

27. fano_linux

fano_linux

It's a nice idea, i'll think about it. About the mecanim part, i'll finish to add the girl to the pack and after that i'll take a look at mecanim.
    I believe it's going to be a big change to the pack.

Thank you

28. ConnorC

ConnorC

Does the level shown in the first video come with the package?

29. fano_linux

fano_linux

Yes of course, everithing you see in the video comes to the pack, plus a lot of animations that i don't use yet on the demo scene. The main character has about 120 animations you can use, such as kick door, drive car, etc.

Thank you

30. fano_linux

fano_linux

Hi there guys, i've very been busy, but stay around the lady will be here very soon.

Thank you all

31. Archania

Archania

Ok we believe you. Looking forward to the next update.

32. fano_linux

fano_linux

thanks. it's just matter of time.

33. SrNull

SrNull

Hi, I have purchased your Template,
    I want to change the character in the package for my model, and i would like to know how to setup my character, i have modeled and rigged a model but i dont know if there is some "requeriments" about the naming of the joints or something like that.
    It could be great if i can add those animation to my 3d model. =) .
    Thanks

34. fano_linux

fano_linux

Hi there, thanks for purchasing it.

First of all take a look in here, i have made this video to demonstrate how to setup the player:

About the naming convention, I use 3ds max biped naming, such as Bip01, but you can use it as you want, as long as you change the PlayerSkeleton.cs file to identify your skeleton structure.

Best regards

35. SrNull

SrNull

Ok, all i want is use my own rigged model with all animations in your template and with all functions like : make it shot, walk, run ,pickup guns, kill zombies etc.
    So I did all you said on the video:
    1) i changed the naming of the skeleton in PlayerSkeleton.cs,
    2) clicked the "autosetup skeleton" (now in inspector all bones are ok) ,
    3) i set up the camera .
    Also i copied the animation component of the survivor prefab to my new character. ( not sure i should do that.)
    When i hit play, there are a message saying that locomotion system was not initialized so i deleted all components of the leg animations on my character, and when i hit play there are no errors, my character moves around with keyboard arrow but is still in T-pose.

Im very stuck,
    Should i use mecanism? i dont know how to make it work.

36. fano_linux

fano_linux

Hi SrNull,

You need to initialize locomotion system. At the inspector try to find the Leg Controller component and you will find the Initialize button, if you have done all that is needed it will start for good.

Copying the animation component will not bring all my animations to your character, you'll have to retarget all motions to your character or Wait until i modify the project to work with mecanim.

Best regards

37. Korok

Korok

awesome project XD will you make more zombie? :confused:

38. fano_linux

fano_linux

There's one more zombie that we may insert on the project. But is not confirmed yet. We are working on a female to add.

But thank you

39. fano_linux

fano_linux

Finally, as i told before here is the female survivor for free, to all unity folks.

3ds Max source file + fbx and source object (OBJ from zbrush)
    Rigged and Animated.

Sadly i have to tell you guys that we are not going to create more animations for the girl, time is very rare here.

Anyways I hope you guys like it.
    Best regards.

Download: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/82234398/Female-Survivor.rar

40. Venged

Venged

You guys are awesome!!!!!!

Thank you my brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. fano_linux

fano_linux

Thank you Robert for helping us maintain this project. And of course there's more updates to come.

Best regards

42. Venged

Venged

The modeling is very clean and simple, but yet detailed. Great model!!!

Last edited: May 6, 2013
  43. fano_linux

fano_linux

Thanks Robert, yes indeed there's some details like normal maps.

Tip: I've add the bones to her hair, so you can use the cloth or joint feature at unity to simulate hair.

And you can delete some white spheres around her body, i forgot to do that in max.

Best regards

44. Archania

Archania

Looks fantastic. Great detail on the girl. Excellent addition to the kit.

45. fano_linux

fano_linux

I'm glad you like it Archania. Thanks for supporting the project

46. fano_linux

fano_linux

Now I guess it's time to move on to mecanim. Let's see how it will work.

47. SrNull

SrNull

Im agree with that =)

48. Venged

Venged

This will be over the top if you can add mecanim support. Thanks for taking a shot at it!

49. fano_linux

fano_linux

ok guys, i'm starting the mecanim implementation this weekend.

Best regards to all

50. Venged

Venged

I found this 3rd person mecanim series on YouTube today. I will be studying it this weekend. There might be things in this lesson that good could give you a head start on adding mecanim to the template. The series has well over 10 videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sExZ8ft0GSA

unityunity