Search Unity

Viewport Walker + Only Renderer

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by StylishCoding, May 24, 2018.

1. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Viewport Walker

Viewport Walker allows you to use walker mode to navigate the scene view. Walker mode and Flythrough mode are similar, but different.

Flythrough mode let you fly around in first-person view, but Walker mode let you walk around. A virtual gravity pull you to the floor, and you walk on floor even you looking up.

Viewport Walker also provide a virtual sky level and let you jump to it, overlooking the scene. You can also enable or disable walk through walls in Walker mode.

Only Renderer

Only Renderer allows you to disable all gizmo overlay in scene view with one action (Click on toolbar item or use hotkey), instead of click on gizmo menu to disable one by one. It also restore the gizmo setting when you toggle off.

Give you very fast to preview your level without gizmo overlay, then turn gizmo overlay on again to design your level.

Following options is configurable to disable:
    Grid, Selection Outline, Selection Wire, Gizmo, Gizmo Icon, Transform Gizmo

You can also save current gizmo and icon settings to presets, and use it with hotkey.

Asset Store

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  2. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

So this is like the Unity Editor's built in scene view navigation?
    Flythrough mode
    Use Flythrough mode to navigate the Scene View by flying around in first-person, similar to how you would navigate in many games.
    • Click and hold the right mouse button.
    • Move the view around using the mouse, the WASD keys to move left/right/forward/backward, and the Q and E keys to move up and down.
    • Hold down Shift to move faster.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/SceneViewNavigation.html

How does it differ?

I ask because the problem I always have with the built-in flythrough mode is that the camera'sclipping plane always goes awry after also zooming in and out of the scene (using the mouse wheel) Does this asset stop this problem happening?​

3. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

When you use flythrough mode, W key move toward camera view angle. With Viewport Walker, it always move in world space XZ axis, and it always fall to the ground if a collider detect in Y- vector. That make you feel like walking in the scene.

I don't understand it.

4. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Does this work while the game is in play mode? If you have the game tab open and the scene view tab open while the game is running, can you click on the scene view tab and navigate around while the game is still playing?

5. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

6. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Yes, it is no problem while in play mode.

7. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

8. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Ok, thanks. Sadly it is, and it's not. It's one of those annoying glitches. Pressing F to focus kinda works but isn't always ideal. Thanks anyway.

9. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

I checked the source code of scene view. The near and far clipping plane is adjusted using the distance of camera to the pivot. When you press F to focus a object, the camera pivot is set to the position of the object, the distance is set to the object bound. Zoom in/out with wheel change the distance.

The near value is using a fixed scale to the far value, so focus to a large object cause a high value of both far and near clipping. Using low near value and high far value make the depth buffer resolution low, that is why unity adjusted the clipping automatically.

I can write a small script to adjust the distance to the pivot, then the clipping can be adjusted. However, there are some limitations:
    The pivot position change because the distance change and camera position unchanged.
    The near and far clipping is increased or decreased together.
    The distance is changed again when you use wheel to zoom.

10. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

That's kind of you to look into that. If you could add that script in an update that would be brilliant. I totally understand the limitations, but it would make the asset totally worthwhile for me.

To be honest, at such a reasonable price it's worth my while just supporting you by buying it, so that's now done :)

StylishCoding likes this.
  11. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

2018-06-09 18-13-01.gif

Here is the script, put it on editor folder. Hold P key and scroll wheel to adjust the clipping, with Shift key to adjust faster. Hold P key and right click to directly set to a default value.

You can change the const to change hotkey or default value. Enjoy!

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. [InitializeOnLoad]
    5. public class ClippingAdjustment
    6. {
    7.     private const KeyCode kHotkey = KeyCode.P;
    8.     private const float kDefaultSize = 10f;
    9.     private const float kNornalMultiplier = 1f;
    10.     private const float kShiftMultiplier = 10f;
    12.     private static readonly int kControlIDHint = "ClippingAdjustment".GetHashCode();
    14.     static ClippingAdjustment()
    15.     {
    16.         SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate += SceneGUIDelegate;
    17.     }
    19.     private static void SceneGUIDelegate(SceneView sceneView)
    20.     {
    21.         int id = GUIUtility.GetControlID(kControlIDHint, FocusType.Keyboard);
    22.         var current = Event.current;
    23.         var type = current.GetTypeForControl(id);
    24.         switch (type)
    25.         {
    26.             case EventType.KeyDown:
    27.                 if (current.keyCode == kHotkey)
    28.                 {
    29.                     GUIUtility.hotControl = id;
    30.                     current.Use();
    31.                 }
    32.                 break;
    33.             case EventType.KeyUp:
    34.                 if (GUIUtility.hotControl == id && current.keyCode == kHotkey)
    35.                 {
    36.                     GUIUtility.hotControl = 0;
    37.                     current.Use();
    38.                 }
    39.                 break;
    40.             case EventType.MouseDown:
    41.                 if (GUIUtility.hotControl == id && current.button == 1)
    42.                 {
    43.                     SetSceneViewSize(sceneView, kDefaultSize);
    44.                     current.Use();
    45.                 }
    46.                 break;
    47.             case EventType.ScrollWheel:
    48.                 if (GUIUtility.hotControl == id)
    49.                 {
    50.                     float size = sceneView.size - current.delta.y * (current.shift ? kShiftMultiplier : kNornalMultiplier);
    51.                     SetSceneViewSize(sceneView, size);
    52.                     current.Use();
    53.                 }
    54.                 break;
    55.         }
    56.     }
    58.     private static void SetSceneViewSize(SceneView sceneView, float size)
    59.     {
    60.         var distance = sceneView.size / Mathf.Tan(90 * 0.5f * Mathf.Deg2Rad);
    61.         var pos = sceneView.pivot - sceneView.rotation * Vector3.forward * distance;
    62.         sceneView.size = Mathf.Max(1, size);
    63.         distance = size / Mathf.Tan(90 * 0.5f * Mathf.Deg2Rad);
    64.         sceneView.pivot = pos + sceneView.rotation * Vector3.forward * distance;
    65.     }
    66. }

12. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

I just purchased this and it doesn't work. When I double click in the scene view, nothing happens. I'm using 2017.4.3f1 and there are no errors but it doesn't do anything.

13. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

ummm.. yes, finally tried it today and not working for me either in 2017.2.0

Double right clicking doesn't do anything.

The script you kindly posted (for the camera clipping) also doesn't do what it does in your gif. It moves the caemra but not the clipping plane.

Not sure if there's something stupid we're doing or if there's a problem when used with 2017.x? I noticed you uploaded with Unity 5.6.0

14. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Is the mouse cursor changed to FPS mode after double click with right button in scene view?

15. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

I have tested the script in 2017, do you keep P key hold down while scroll the wheel?

I make the interface more simple with 3 key: P set to 10, I decrease 10, O increase 10.
    Replace the switch statement with following code:

Code (CSharp):
    1.         switch (current.type)
    2.         {
    3.             case EventType.KeyDown:
    4.                 if (current.keyCode == KeyCode.P)
    5.                 {
    6.                     SetSceneViewSize(sceneView, 10);
    7.                     current.Use();
    8.                 }
    9.                 if (current.keyCode == KeyCode.I)
    10.                 {
    11.                     float size = sceneView.size - 10;
    12.                     SetSceneViewSize(sceneView, size);
    13.                     current.Use();
    14.                 }
    15.                 if (current.keyCode == KeyCode.O)
    16.                 {
    17.                     float size = sceneView.size + 10;
    18.                     SetSceneViewSize(sceneView, size);
    19.                     current.Use();
    20.                 }
    21.                 break;
    22.         }

16. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

I've just tested on a different PC, in 2017.2.1 and it kind of works as expected, I think. The mouse cursor changes to fly-through mode and stays there. On the other PC, double right-click makes the fly-through cursor appear but only just briefly (i.e. when you click down, as you would expect) but the double click doesn't make it stick.

WASD work fine but I'm not finding that 'E' takes me up to sky level, and 'Q' doesn't drop you down as your video does.
    [*EDIT*] now I know why - 'Q' doesn't work unless there's a collider below you (you're obviously raycasting down to check otherwise you'd keep on falling :) ) This makes sense but you might want to mention it in the docs, and ideally also in the interface (a brief pop-up in scene view?).

A couple of requests (as the asset is a DLL it's not user customisable)
    Can there be a settings inspector which allows:
    1. change the 'walk' speed and 'run' multiplier. (even better include a keyboard shortcut for this - maybe mouse wheel while moving, i.e. while holding down W, A, S or D, moving the mouse wheel changes the speed).
    2. an option to switch mouse look to the right mouse button, not left (as is the default)

Let me know if I can do anything to help debug the 'not working' instances of the asset (on my other PC). I'll try it on an empty Project when I get home tonight. I had tried it in an existing project and I guess there may be a conflict with another asset?

This is full of potential, and is a definite improvement on the normal Unity fly-through (especially if you can add the speed customisations I mentioned)

17. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Scroll the wheel adjust the sky level, if the level is lower than your position, press E will no response. I will make a notification if E and Q cannot perform for some reason.

I will make a config window in next version.

I dunno if the problem from the detection of double right click, but I just use info provided by unity. Please copy this script to a editor folder, then double right click to seen if a log "Double Right Click!" added to console.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEditor;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    4. [InitializeOnLoad]
    5. public class DoubleRightClick
    6. {
    7.     static DoubleRightClick()
    8.     {
    9.         SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate += SceneGUIDelegate;
    10.     }
    12.     private static void SceneGUIDelegate(SceneView sceneView)
    13.     {
    14.         var current = Event.current;
    15.         if (current.type == EventType.MouseDown && current.button == 1 && current.clickCount == 2)
    16.             Debug.Log("Double Right Click!");
    17.     }
    18. }

18. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

So adding to a clean project works fine. 2017.2.x and 2017.4.x

I've taken the problematic project and deleted everything from it and it still has the bug.
    - double click is detected (using your script I get the console debug message appear) but the fly-through mode doesn't 'stick'.

Restarting Unity (with what is essentially an empty project) still has the bug.

However, deleting the Library folder and then restarting makes it work ok. Sadly it's not really something that most people will want to do on an existing project, just for a small utility.

I'll email you the buggy project. Hopefully you can find a way of fixing the problem without forcing people to delete the Library folder.

19. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Thanks, I will look into it.

20. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

I find the problem, the scene camera is orthographic in your project. As FPS mode is no meaning in orthographic mode, so it cannot be activated. I will add a notification that it cannot activate in orthographic mode.

21. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Ok that seemed to be the problem for me. When I switched the scene camera to perspective, it worked great. I played around with it and it's really useful for previewing levels. There are just a few requests I would like to make. One is for there to be a way to toggle off the speed increase. The more you walk, the faster you go and that's great for traversing the level but it's not great when you're just wanting to walk around. The other thing that would be nice is to collide with walls and other geometry as this will make it more realistic for testing out levels. It also makes it easier to go up stairs so you don't accidentally fall off. If that's feasible, it would be great to have a way to turn on/off that ability.

22. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Thank you everyone for your suggestion. I make a preferences to config Viewport Walker. Three different speed multiplier and toggleable acceleration. Add option for through walls and toggleable in scene view with middle button.

upload_2018-6-13_6-35-36.png

2018-06-13 06-36-09.gif

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    jeromeWork likes this.
  23. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Sorry for the stupid question but where in Unity is the setting for the scene camera, by which I'm assuming you mean the Editor's scene view camera? The camera in the empty scene I sent you is just a normal perspective camera, and it doesn't work: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CuYMKbhJUBe6nwHFLVh72u9gVbHOAGNm

24. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Please, please, please can we have that option to switch the mouseLook button? :) Being forced to use the left mouse button feels really wrong to someone who's used to the normal Editor's FlyThrough mode.

25. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

I have make both left and right button as mouse look button.

26. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Being able to choose one or the other in the config would be best. Thanks :)

27. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

This is the screen I open your project, the rect area is ISO which mean you are in orthographic. Click on it to change between perspective and orthographic.

upload_2018-6-13_8-18-47.png

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  28. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Ah! I get it now :) Sorry, being really stupid here. :rolleyes: Mystery solved! :D

29. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Thanks for your prompt replies and the changes. Once I can see the update, I'll make sure to give it a good review.

30. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Added a adjustable value to affect the final speed, it can be adjusted in scene view using ctrl+wheel.

1.png

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    jeromeWork likes this.
  31. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

This all looks really good! Now we just have to wait for Unity to push it through the asset store ;)

32. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

New version is alive on Asset Store!
    • Now can configure in "Edit->Preference".
    • Speed multiplier can be adjusted in scene view, use Ctrl + Mouse wheel to adjust.
    • Add option to walk through walls, press middle button to toggle.

jeromeWork likes this.
  33. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Superb, well done! Both @reggie_sgs and I have left deservedly glowing reviews on the asset store :D

... Just a few thoughts... The Cntrl key for engaging the mouse speed adjustment is not the best key (imho) Your little finger is already over the Shift key (ready to activate the run multiplier). Instead, would it be possible to use the Alt key? I'm not sure if the fact that it is already used by Unity to trigger the normal FlyThrough mode is a problem, but ergonomically it's the better key. Or perhaps, add an option in the preferences to allow users to bind those actions to whatever key they want (like Photoshop does for user keyboard shortcuts) although I realize this cause problems of clashes with existing bindings.

Thinking of the preferences... is it possible to add export/import functionality (I'm guessing exporting a scriptable asset) so that settings could be quickly reimported into different projects? This is definitely an asset I'll be loading into all of my projects and it would make it a lot easier to just reuse the same settings without having to change everything each time. This is especially important for the speed adjustment as Speed: 'Adjustable' is (slightly annoyingly) read-only in the preferences. (At the very least can it be made editable so you could paste in the desired starter value in each new project?)

Many thanks indeed for such a brilliant little utility. I couldn't quite work out what it was good for when I first saw it, but I'm so glad I took the chance with it. It really is great.

btw. re. that Scene Camera clipping issue. Turns out this is much more of a problem in Isometric view, but someone sent me a really nice little utility on a separate thread which might be of interest to anyone having similar issues: https://forum.unity.com/threads/change-near-clipping-plane-scene-camera.456078/#post-3528283

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  34. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Thanks reggie_sgs and jeromeWork for your detailed reviews.

I can make it selectable between ctrl and alt.

The settings is stored in editor prefs, so it is shared across all your project in this pc. The adjustable value is also stay on the last value you changed.

35. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

I just received a new level from our artist so this was a great chance to test it. It was great to be able to drop in and walk around the level and see it from a player's perspective without having to do all the setup work for making it a playable level. Two things have come up during my initial use of it.

The first thing is when it starts, the drop down to the surface is really slow. If your view is high up, it takes a few seconds to get there. I would prefer either an immediate snap to the ground or have it calculate the distance and then adjust the speed so it always takes the same amount of time ( the higher up you are, the faster it moves). I think the latter would probably be best as an immediate snap might be a little jarring. Perhaps make it an adjustable time and anytime you start, or toggle between ground/plane modes, it takes the same time to transition.

The second thing is it would be really beneficial to be able to toggle the wall mode. As I'm walking around the level, I need to hit geometry to be able to move around the way the player actually will but sometimes I need to go through walls or doors and it's cumbersome to have to go back into preferences and change it. I find it's easier to leave VW, go through the door, and then start it back up. A toggle key for going through walls would be awesome.

Thanks again for responding to all the feedback!

36. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Just after posting that, I ran into what seems like a bug. I'm not sure how it happened but the sky level got set to some really low value and every time I tried to enter sky level mode, I got an error saying the sky level was lower than the current level. I was unable to use the mouse wheel to rise up. After a few minutes, I found the level in the preferences and reset it. In cases where this happens, it would be ideal if using the mouse wheel would move you up from your current position instead of just giving an error.

37. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Hold down shift key can speed up the falling. I make the speed not too high because it is easy stuck in ground at very high speed. I will consider how to improve it.

You can press middle mouse button to toggle through walls option in scene view.

This is a notification tell you unable to jump, you need to scroll up enough then press E again to jump up. I may add a new hotkey like ctrl-e to set current position as sky level and "on sky" mode.

38. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Yeah got this bug too.

@StylishCoding thanks for clarification re. saved prefs. Can confirm that works great. Also looking forward to Alt key option. Thanks :)

39. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

I find the speed of falling is slow because the acceleration is shared by walking and gravity, when you turn off acceleration, the gravity become constant speed too. I use different acceleration for walking and gravity now. The speed of falling is also fine tuned.

Also add option to force turn on through walls when sky walking. And fixed the bug when sky level is lower than current level, press E set current level as sky level and can scroll wheel to adjust the height.

upload_2018-6-19_17-36-55.png

jeromeWork likes this.
  40. reggie_sgs

reggie_sgs

Thanks, middle mouse button click to toggle walls works great. I tried the shift key to speed up transitions between the sky level and it helps but it can still be slow depending on the distance. Looking forward to the update to try out the changes.

41. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

New version is alive on Asset Store!
    • Use different acceleration for walking and gravity. Turn off acceleration of walking do not affect acceleration of gravity. The speed of falling is also fine tuned.
    • Add option to force turn on through walls when sky walking.
    • When sky level is lower than current level, press E set current level as sky level.

42. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

The introductory price ends on 22 June.

43. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Updated to 1.1.2: Fix error with "Assertion failed on expression: 'IsNormalized(direction)'"

44. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

Merged Viewport Walker and Only Renderer to one package.
    Moreover, include source code now.

45. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

ooohh... that's a nice bonus. I didn't know about your Only Render asset :)

46. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

@StylishCoding I'm loving the added Only Renderer functionality, but finding that he ShiftCntrlR keyboard shortcut doesn't work in Unity 2018.2.20 (works fine for me in 2017.4.17) Any thoughts on why that might be, and what I can do to fix?
    Using Tools>Only Renderer makes it come on/off, so core functionality is fine, it just seems to be the keyboard shortcut that's not being picked up. I've tried adding my own shortcut in Preferences (in case it was related to a new conflict with that key combination) but those also don't work.

47. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

You can find the file SceneViewGUI.cs in OnlyRenderer\Editor and change following line:
    [MenuItem("Tools/Only Renderer %#R")]

Check the docs for how to define the hotkey:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/MenuItem.html

jeromeWork likes this.
  48. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

@StylishCoding Thanks. That was the problem. Changing to another key got it working again. Must be another asset I have in my scene.

For anyone getting he same error... It appears that Shict Cntrl R is mapped by either Gaia or VegetationStudioPro, or internally in the Unity editor (?) to "generating splatmap"

ps. these are fairly popular assets. You might want to add a warning in the docs about this :)

49. jeromeWork

jeromeWork

Got a couple of persistent errors on import into 2018.3.8
    Assets\ViewportWalker\Editor\Preference.cs(30,122): error CS1503: Argument 2: cannot convert from 'UnityEditor.SettingsScopes' to 'UnityEditor.SettingsScope'
    Assets\ViewportWalker\OnlyRenderer\Editor\Preference.cs(72,120): error CS1503: Argument 2: cannot convert from 'UnityEditor.SettingsScopes' to 'UnityEditor.SettingsScope'

Won't clear and sadly breaks both tools. Any chance of a fix?

50. StylishCoding

StylishCoding

New version of Unity changed some name in api, you can open Preference.cs (there are two) replace SettingsScopes to SettingsScope

faduci and jeromeWork like this.