Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Release] URG! The ultimate ragdoll generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by The-Arc-Games, Oct 9, 2011.

1. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

Thanks so much for the instructions we will try to figure it out.

Also just want to check if Animations that are already present on the model and Animation Import type (Generic or Legacy) also have a significant impact on URG and if there are specifics that URG needs to not mess up the animations?

Oh and finally I just want to check if the colliders produced by URG are still normal Unity colliders and not custom ones as I want to use my characters in Shooter AI (which requires the ragdolls to be made with normal Unity colliders).

2. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

Apologies also forgot to ask on how I would manage cloth rigs made in Maya and have them transfer over to the ragdoll as well? I imagine the fake limb function would be my best bet but I just want to confirm that from you. We are using Maya cloth rigs on double-sided alpha-cut textured planes for stuff like hair, loose clothing and hanging flesh and I just dont want the ragdoll to make them glitch out and if the ragdoll can actually integrate them that would be a plus.

Before I forget again, it would also be great to know the differences between the free, standard and developer editions of URG. I just want to make sure there arent any possible additional features that we might want to use that is not included in the free version.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  3. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

I also seem to be getting an error in Unity when trying to make a ragdoll: "Can't remove Rigidbody because CharacterJoint depends on it"

I read on one of your replies to a reviewer that the cause of this error is when trying to cut a bone which has no triangle attached to it. What exactly does this mean and how would I solve it? Apologies for all the questions, physics and ragdolls isnt really something Im very acquainted with.

Again, thank you for all the help so far.

4. radiantboy

radiantboy

Hi, I am trying to use URG on a Daz3D model, I have seen various amounts of success, but it seems on the whole to not be able to work out the proper structure of the bones in order to make a working ragdoll (there are huge cubes and no legs, and sometimes a massive head), is there anything else I need to do or are Daz models incompatible in some ways? The ones that didnt work I was able to do manually using that horrible wizard unity provide... Any tips?

Thanks, so far this Asset has already saved me quite a few hours!!!

Gaz.

5. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for your interest in URG!
    We welcome all questions since we want to be sure that everybody can use the product at its fullest.

Animation import type is only significant in regards to the Animation States Manager. Ragdoll is not affected by animation import type.
    The ASM is a feature that allows transition from ragdoll to animation, but currently works only on Legacy animation (i.e. not Mecanim). We are working right now to release a Mecanim compatible ASM system, and we expect it to be ready in a couple of weeks at most. Sadly Mecanim is still lacking in many key areas and functionality so it doesn't still offer what the Legacy system does.
    Ragdoll functionality is not affected however, so you can use Mecanim or Generic or Legacy without worry.

Cloth rigs are basically 'flat' (even if doublesided) meshes with a flexible armature, usually skinned by many bones. Ragdolling this kind of cloth rig is straightforward thanks to the vertical ragdoll and fake limb features, that let you determine the width of the colliders. So all cloth ragdolling should be easy to do.

The free version is basically a standard version without collider injection, ragdollimbifier and dismemberator. It basically creates ragdolls like the other two versions, but doesn't install colliders. Ragdoll colliders can be manually added at any time. URG! free takes care of the joints and rigidbodies, so it's really little work compared to the whole ragdoll setup involved.

Re-creating a ragdoll involves removing the previous ragdoll (from gameobject root and all children, or ragdoll source and all children). We've deliberately chosen this approach since you might have physical objects that you don't want to remove (the root is usually host to the controller and other physical objects like trigger satellites and such).
    So make sure that you remove the previous ragdoll with the two relevant buttons at the bottom of the interface, before making a new ragdoll.

6. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

What you're facing should be related exclusively to the game model root. Choosing a 'parent' of the correct ragdoll root usually creates the a ragdoll 'microphone' (big head and no legs), so you usually need to 'go down a level' and choose a child of the latest used source to create the ragdoll.
    Please check the first section of the following tutorial, for a typical case:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbhsATVjjV0
    Please get back to us if you still have trouble creating a proper ragdoll after these suggestions.

7. chingwa

chingwa

I wish I could devote more time to playing with assets like URG... hopefully in the future I'll have a real use for it and can get into it a bit. I just want to say that the name is pure genius... every time I see this thread come up in the forum I have to laugh out loud :D URG!

8. lazygunn

lazygunn

I've been using this thing for what seems like ever, one of the first things for unity i purchased, and for me, indispensable, exactly what the doctor ordered when it comes to Things That Slump, and i've had it playing perfectly fine with mecanim, its really not that hard to switch the ragdoll colliders on and off when needed

So I recommend it chingwa, just for fooling if you get the time. Every single time I have something in a game that can concievably ragdoll, this gets imported, and i havent even tried the dismemberator or even the more 'outlandish' applications like using it to control clothing/accessories and so on. I'm not sure how it plays with FinalIK but my big plan for the next few years, when im not learning how to do the big plan/doing side projects involves both, and mecanim, so there's some really nice tools out there for dealing with Things That Slump

9. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Many thanks for your appreciation.

10. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

Thanks for all the help and support, really amazing I will try to get hold of the Standard or Developer edition soon as we need the collider injection and the other features (especially the dismemberator, would be awesome).

11. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

Is there anyway to chabge the rotation or atleast the pivot of Unity colliders? It is extremely difficult getting a collider to line-up precisely to smaller, more specific areas.

12. killa187420

killa187420

i cant get to work on 4.3 unity bunch of obsolete errors and i dont use c# i cant compile with package in assets

13. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

There is no way to change the rotation or pivot per se, but when this is needed you can create a children gameobject, install a collider in that, and rotate or translate the children gameobject as desired.

14. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

The asset is released with 3.5 for retrocompatibility so obsolete warnings are expected, and by all means not errors.
    Regarding compilation, you don't need to manually compile. Just editing saving and swapping between editor and unity is enough to apply your changes.

But if you really need to compile, make sure you set the target framework to .net version 4 in your project. c# and javascript don't have a problem together in the same project.

15. killa187420

killa187420

16. killa187420

killa187420

iam on mobile project i had to delete test scene terrain and clsmeshpostprocessor file and this file clslayersetter cause there was prob when build and run will that remove affect me later on so far nothing bad has happened all seams to be working thank u

17. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

The whole test scene is expendable and as a consequence you don't need it in your release. The meshpostprocessor and layersetter classes are also expendable since they are used to properly set up the demo project upon import. As long as you don't intend to use the demo assets, there will be no consequences.

18. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

@ The Arc Games: Hi Ive managed to build a basic ragdoll for my enemy, all I can say is wow what an amazing plugin so easy to use and powerful and I havent even gotten to the extra features yet.

The only problems I seem to have is with the cloth rigs, I followed the steps for vertical ragdolling and adding fake limbs and they seems to add properly but some of the cloth rigs loose conncetion and break away from the main model, others seems to glitch out and wave around like crazy. When I try to set the pivots/roots of all the cloth rigs to kinematic it contorts and glitches out the entire model which is even worse, is there something I am missing perhaps?

19. killa187420

killa187420

thank u once again and great stuff makes life with unity easier

20. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for your kind words.

Regarding your report, the most common issues are "non colliding rigidbodies" or "disconnected joints".
    The first case is found when the last bone in the vertical ragdoll can't be detected as a "head", and so you end up having a rigidbody without a collider at the top of the vertical ragdoll.
    To easily fix this:
    - Either remove the rigidbody if the bone is not weighted, or if the bone is weighted (it actually drives vertices of the mesh if you rotate it around in edit mode), add a collider to the bone. Note that this usually just happens in terminal bones so it's easy to check.

The case of disconnected joints is a typical consequence of custom ragdolling: once you create a vertical ragdoll which is part of a different ragdoll, you must use the joint connect feature so that the new vertical ragdoll is connected to a rigidbody of the original ragdoll via a joint. Otherwise, you have two different ragdolls for the same model, each acting indipendently.
    This fix actually consists of specifying the 'connected rigidbody' parameter of the sub-ragdoll main joint.

If these suggestions are not enough, consider sending us a test model by email to the address in the URG asset guide file.

21. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

@The Arc Games: Thanks for the advice, it really helps. I had a feeling it might have had something with either not connecting the joints properly to a correct parent or the collider setup. Will let you know if I am still struggling, again huge thanks!

22. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

@The Arc Games: Hi wehn trying to build my game I seem to be getting some compiler errors for the scripts "clslayersetter.cs" and "clsmeshpostprocessor.cs" stating:

error CS0246: The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Please any help on these error would be extremely helpful. We are running Unity 4.3.4 Pro, Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks in advance.

23. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Sorry for the late reply.
    Are you perhaps manually compiling and building the project? You don't need to manually compile to apply changes to your scripts. Just editing, saving and swapping between editor and unity is enough to apply them. If you for some reason still need to compile, make sure you set the target framework to .net version 4 in your project.

In any case, the two scripts are just used in the demo scene, so you can avoid importing them, or even delete them altogether from your project.

24. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

No worries, thanks for the reply and the advice, deleting the 2 scripts helped, Im not really using the demo scene (at least not right now). Thanks again for all the help.

25. Danirey

Danirey

Hi there!

I've recently bought the highest version of urg, and i have a noob question. How can i prevent the arms and legs to rotate in the wrong direction. I mean my leg rotates to the back side, and only could rotate to the front if a breack my knee. And the same thing with the elbows. Is there a way to block the x rotation of the limbs? I'm sure that this is a stupid question. Sorry!

Thanks

26. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi and thanks for using URG!

Limbs are usually constrained in their rotation by the armature setup. If a body part rotates often in an unnatural position, it could mean that the armature (the transforms that make up the bones of the game model) is unusual / not human like, and that URG assigned, for example, a 'shoulder' setup to an 'arm' body part.

You can basically fix this in two ways. The first method is by manually tweaking the joints:
    1- In an empty scene, drop your ragdolled game model prefab in mid-air, and make sure that the root rigidbody (usually installed in the Armature gameobject) is set to kinematic
    2- Enter play mode, and you'll see that the ragdoll takes over, but it doesn't fall to the ground
    3- Rotate the root rigidbody freely and check out which bones behave unnaturally
    4- Access the bones and manually tweak the axes of the Joint component

It's easier to do than it seems, but it'll take some time.

The second method is basically: create a game model from an established armature prototype. For example makehuman / mixamo, rigify, etc.

If you check URG's readme there's an example of how the armature should be made. Sadly it can't be pasted here because of text formatting reasons.

27. Danirey

Danirey

Hi!

I'm using mixamo's fuse models. So i compare a model configured with urg withthe same model configured with the unity ragdoll and the orange arrows of the legs are pointing to the opposite direction. If i change them , it works fine, but it is tedious have to change everithing manualy.

Thanks anyway

28. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

This is unexpected. Have you tried selecting a ragdoll root manually? It might be that the actual ragdoll root is different from the one that URG! picks up from the model, or that your model is not in a proper t-pose when you ragdoll it.

To verify this:
    1- Create an empty scene
    2- Add a model instance, dragging from the project tree's imported fbx into the scene
    3- Orient the model so that its face is looking forward (z axis), and its vertical is up (y axis)
    4- Put the model in a t-pose and use URG again

If the problem persists please send us a PM with the log output from the scene above after URG usage.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  29. Danirey

Danirey

OK, i'll try that and let you know.

Thanks for the support!

30. Danirey

Danirey

OK Guys!!!

The thing was to ratate the character facing the global Z axis!

Now, all the limbs react as usual!

Thanks!

31. Danirey

Danirey

Hi again!

I'm enjoying using URG! .

Now, i like to go deeper and use the other utilities that comes with the developer edition. First, the Animation states manager. Is it possible to call these functions from JS code? i'm working on a Jagged Alliance 2 like game (Videos here) and i plan to add all your functions, from animation states to dismemberment. I'm not a pro scripter, so i'm learning a lot of things at the moment i need them. Now the next step is to make the enemies go to rag doll, when hit in the legs, and after a few seconds, go back to the stand position. Since i use a lot JS, i'm not sure how to achieve this. Could you post an example of how to call the functions? If it is possible, of course.

Thank you so much!

EDIT: One more thing, I see in the documentation that the animation states manager uses animations contained in the character. Is it possible to use it with mecanim characters?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  32. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi,

it is possible to call c# functions from javascript code, but this is a subject with some caveats, that the forums and docs can cover better than us here.
    In particular, the ASM is part of URG utilities and static classes, so this adds a layer of difficulty.
    A good point to start could be this:
    http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/8730/using-a-c-class-in-javascript.html

so that you can basically invoke the 'transitionanimation' and 'dismember' methods in the clsurgutilies class, which should suffice.

33. Danirey

Danirey

Hi,

I already have c# scripts and i can acces to the functions without problem. I've made the same with the Urg scripts but it tells me thas clsurgutils is unknown. Thats why i ask you that.

I'll find out.

Thanks!

34. S-P-A-C-E-D

S-P-A-C-E-D

I am having difficulty getting this to work. Even with a simple ragdoll. My character has a script that calls other classes as actions... and in one of the actions(say jump) if you fall for too long, I want to call the ragdoll function... So logically I put it in the jump class but I get errors presumebly because that class isn't actually directly assigned to the character. Just the ragdoll one is.

So basically, how would I call the function in C# to enable ragdoll...

Lets say, I have my if statement in my jump script, which is called by my main script that my player has attached.

if (state.velocity < -10)

or something along those lines.. how would you go about calling the ragdoll function from here.

35. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Ragdoll creation is not literally based on a function call.
    The ragdoll must be created in edit mode, and then in play mode, you "turn" your game character into ragdoll, by using the 'goragdoll' utilities.
    The best way to see how this works is in the demo scene, where amongst other uses, you can see the two most basic ones: ragdoll instantiation and kinematic ragdoll.

so we're basically talking about

if (state.velocity < -10)
    "instantiate ragdoll and destroy original gameobject"
    or
    "turn all gameobject rigidbodies into kinematic"

Please get back to us if you still can't figure how to proceed.

36. S-P-A-C-E-D

S-P-A-C-E-D

Well that is what I mean. I created the rag doll with the kinematic box checked. And in my jump script I have the if statement that will be where the rag doll is supposed to trigger on. From here is where it is confusing. Instead of instantiating one you can just turn it to kinematic if you make the ragdoll with the kinematic button checked right? Then in that if statement what code do I need to put there to trigger the ragdoll to go limp. Mind you the jump script isn't directly attached to the player in my game. This is where I think I'm having the issue. But if you can show me an example of what code will turn the ragdoll that I made on I would really appreciate it.

37. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Q: Instead of instantiating one you can just turn it to kinematic if you make the ragdoll with the kinematic button checked right?
    A: Yes. That's what can be called a kinematic ragdoll.

The demo scene perfectly illustrates your case.
    1- Check the "Lerpz_kinematic" game character.
    2- Access the clsshowcasehelper script and you'll see that case 5 immediately leads to the following code. That's actually all you need to turn your gameobject into a ragdoll. Cool, right?!
    Code (csharp):
    1.         animation.Stop();
    2.         clsurgutils.metgodriven(transform);

So, in your jump script, declare an alias for the URG utilities at the top of the script
    Code (csharp):
    1. using clsurgutils = U_r_g_utils.clsurgutils;
    and a public gameobject variable.
    Code (csharp):
    1. public GameObject vargamactor = null;
    In the inspector in edit mode, you assign your game model to that slot.

Then in your jump sequence:
    Code (csharp):
    2. if (state.velocity < -10) {
    3.   vargamactor.animation.Stop(); //this implies that the vargamactor gameobject hosts the Animation component. Otherwise you'll need to use vargamactor.GetComponentInChildren<Animation>().Stop or similar
    4.   clsurgutils.metgodriven(vargamactor.transform);
    5. }

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  38. S-P-A-C-E-D

S-P-A-C-E-D

I don't think that I assigned the model in the inspector. Thanks! Now I wonder how ill get it to work if my player is generated by a character creator at run time. Setting up the ragdoll and what not. I'm not at that point but it seems it could get complicated.

39. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Creating a ragdoll is a multi-frame, cpu intensive procedure, and that's why URG! is currently an editor script only.
    To solve this limitation, the easiest way is to use a ragdoll instantiation method (where you create a 'blank' ragdoll, and you transfer your character attributes into it when you spawn it).
    Alternatively, you could create your 'base' character and apply a kinematic ragdoll to it, so that your character creator works directly on top of the ragdolled character, when the game loads or starts. We usually use this method even if it takes a little more setup than ragdoll instantiation.

40. S-P-A-C-E-D

S-P-A-C-E-D

Right, so I'm getting this error:

error CS0103: The name `clsurgutils' does not exist in the current context

this is exactly what I've done so far:

I duplicated my main player, so I had a back up. I named him something else

I made a kinetic ragdoll using Ultimate Ragdoll, with kinematic ragdoll checked

I added the clskinetify script to this ragdolled player, and dragged the model into the Varsource slot.

I added these lines to my jump script:

vargamactor.animation.Stop(); //this implies that the vargamactor gameobject hosts the Animation component. Otherwise you'll need to use vargamactor.GetComponentInChildren<Animation>().Stop or similar

clsurgutils.metgodriven(vargamactor.transform);

And I get that error. Again, my jump script isn't attached to my player at all, but only accessed through the main script. So any public game object variable I set like you said, doesn't show up anywhere in the inspector for me to add this player object to.

41. S-P-A-C-E-D

S-P-A-C-E-D

well... I added

using clsurgutils = U_r_g_utils.clsurgutils;

to the top of my code and it recognizes it now... time to see if it works.

42. S-P-A-C-E-D

S-P-A-C-E-D

Yeah, it gets all crazy, it stutters around and jumps reallly really high....

My character has an animation, character controller, and rigidbody, which with out the ragdoll on it it works fine.

43. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

This seems like a typical physics issue.
    If the ragdoll bodyparts are in the same layer as the character controller, they will be 'pushed out of the way', but since they're attached to joints, they will keep exploding and imploding.
    You need to assign the ragdoll bodyparts of the model to a different layer than the controller.
    This can be seen in the 'Soldier_Urgent_controller' character in the demo scene.
    If you need to create a new layer, you will need to be sure that it at least interacts with ground and scenery. It will need to -ignore- the character controller layer. We will be clarifying this step in the next URG release.

Last edited: May 9, 2014
  44. pdq72

pdq72

Hi,

I get a compile error "Assets/UltimateRagdollStandard/Scripts/clsmeshpostprocessor.cs(2,7):error CS0246: The type or namespace name
    'UnityEditor' could not be found"

I cannot compile the player to run any of my scenes because of this error which I never of course had prior to installing URG.

I am running Unity 4.3.2

Thanks.

45. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

If you're manually compiling and building your project, know that you don't need to!
    Just editing, saving and swapping between editor and unity is enough to silently compile, and with the latest framework.

If you for some reason still need to compile, make sure you set the target framework to .net version 4 in your project.

In any case, there are two URG scripts that use .net4, "clslayersetter.cs" and "clsmeshpostprocessor.cs" so you can avoid importing them, or even delete them altogether from your project.

46. adriandmgz

adriandmgz

Hi,

Just bought URG and it seems great! I've a problem tough, when I try to make a iOS build it gives me a Cross compilation error on U_r_g_utils.dll.

Note: I also had to move some URG files to the Editor folder to be able to compile.
    Note2: I'm on Unity v4.5.0.

Could you help me with this?

47. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Regarding your issue, are you compiling manually from inside monodevelop?
    If this is the case, you might need to manually add references to the urg dll into your project, but if you don't manually compile, this should not be necessary.

Just changing your script, saving and getting back to the editor is enough to recompile in the background.

48. adriandmgz

adriandmgz

I'm not compiling from monodevelop, I'm making an iOS Build from Unity. During the build an issue arises:

Cross compilation job U_r_g_utils.dll failed.
    UnityEngine.UnityException: Failed AOT cross compiler: /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/PlaybackEngines/iOSSupport/Tools/OSX/mono-xcompiler --aot=full,asmonly,nodebug,static,outfile="U_r_g_utils.dll.s" "U_r_g_utils.dll"

Is it possible to fix this?

Additionally, the files I moved to the Editor folder are ArcLayerManager.dll and clsmeshpostprocessor.cs. By default those files are at the Scripts root folder, and when I launch the iOS Build, it also fails because of UnityEditor references.

Thanks for your help.

49. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for the clarification. We'll try to reproduce the issue and find a fix for it.

50. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi guy's,

Sorry if my question have already been answer but i cannot develop my game if i have to read hundred of post on every asset i am interested in, so here my question :

Does your system work well with UMA and does the load on a multiplayer heavy?