Search Unity

[Release] URG! The ultimate ragdoll generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by The-Arc-Games, Oct 9, 2011.

1. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for using URG!

Regarding your request, can you please clarify? What errors do you get? Let's figure out the issue before moving on to dismember by touch.

2. shoo

shoo

There is error:
    $error.png

And code from clsurgutilities is:
    Code (csharp):
    2.         Transform[] varsourceelements = varpsource.GetComponentsInChildren<Transform>();
    3.         if (varsourceelements.Length != varpanimationstatemanager.vargamanimationstates[varanimstateindex].propanimationstate.Length) {
    4.             Debug.LogError("Source and state body parts length missmatch. Can't continue [" + varsourceelements.Length + " - " + varpanimationstatemanager.vargamanimationstates[varanimstateindex].propanimationstate.Length +"]");
    5.             return null;
    6.         }
    I decided that this code compares animation-snapshoted bones count and object-with-ASM-script bones count(that is like check sum) and if check failed, than ASM do nothing(except for errorlog) with object. I realized that I need appropriate animation for each dismembering state(one animation for object with dismembered hand, other animation for object with dismembered leg etc.) but how I can make it? Is there enough just not keyfremed in 3d editor for animation bones which will be dismembered in Unity3d or is there another approach?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  3. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for your clarification.
    What you see here is expected, and your assumption is correct: since dismemberator destroys separated bones, the ASM animation curves would try to drive null transforms, so that's what the Log is about, since Unity's Animation component 'complains' when a curve is Transformless.

The only solution right now is the one you discovered. It's articulated but it works:

1st Part - Animation
    - Choose your target animation from your game model in the project folder. Let's suppose you have one "crawl" animation. Then duplicate it.
    - You now have an extra "crawl" animation in the project folder, so you rename it to "crawl_legless"
    - Access your game model animation component in the scene, and add the "crawl_legless" animation to it. It's expected that you're working on a prefab, or a game model instance, in a scene.
    - Access the Animation editor, and look for the leg curves by exploring the Armature (make sure that the "Show" button at the bottom is displaying "Animated", so you only see animated transforms)
    - Delete the leg curves of the "crawl_legless" animation, and repeat this process for all variants of all animations you intend to state manage.
    - Run URG ASM editor to compile animation states for all desired animations.

2nd Part - Dismember
    - Choose a dismember part identification procedure (i.e. Urgent Manager, Collision, etc.)
    - Create a code switch where you implement a case for each of the modified animations, when dismemberment takes place
    - For each of those cases, call the createtransitionanimation function targeting the corresponding modified animation

It's actually simpler than it looks! :)

4. fbartolom

fbartolom

Hullo,
    I just downloaded and installed URG to develop a game including an animated character. First off, I had to downaload the free version as I was not able to puchase the standard one - the purchase bottom went down and then up without any apparent effect -, then I would like to have some information about how to use that URGent class as I found nothing on the web.

5. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi and thanks for your interest in URG!

Regarding the download issue, it might be that you are using Unity 3.5? The current asset is uploaded with Unity 4 albeit fully compatible with 3.5.
    In any manner, we're uploading the latest free version this very moment, and to avoid issues like these, we've made it with Unity 3.5.

The new version was basically redone from the ground up, and you'll find a completely reworked demo scene with a reference and step by step instructions.

We'll post again when the new version goes live in the Asset store, usually in a couple of days at most.

6. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hello everybody,

We're happy to announce that URG update 4.2 is officially released.
    Free version is already in the asset store, and Standard and Developer versions will become available in the next couple of days once they're approved.

Several improvements along with a renewed 3.5 masterversion make this an important update.
    Additionally we've 100% streamlined Unity 4 compatibility thanks to two included utilities: more info on this once we update the front post when all the assets go live.
    Both Unity 3.5 and 4 now import the whole asset automatically and correctly without user intervention.

7. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

Thanks a lot :)
    i love this tool i got the standard version
    question: is there a playmaker action released?

8. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for your appreciation!

Unfortunately there are no playmaker actions for URG, but feel free to write again if you need help interfacing the two utilities.

9. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

We're happy to announce that URG 4.2 standard is in the asset store.

The Developer version was also published but please note that there was an oversight on our part, and URG generates an error on start!
    We've immediately fixed the issue and reuploaded, so the properly working URG 4.2 Developer version should be out soon.

Sorry for the trouble caused.

Edit: reapproval is taking longer than usual so for those that purchased the Dev version in the meantime, to quickly fix the startup error, it's enough to edit the U_r_g_developer.cs file under the scripts folder of the package
    1- delete the 'namespace' row at the top of the file, and the } at the bottom (lines 18 and 3584)
    2- replace the U_r_g_standard entry in line 18 with U_r_g_developer, and do the same in line 21, and save the script to fix the subversion hiccup
    3- URG should now work as intended

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  10. KuRouZu

KuRouZu

Hi,

I recently purchased the Standard Edition, version 4.2. But I have an issue with ArcLayerManager.dll. I can't compile the project with your provided examples. I've tried with different computers and versions of Unity 4.2.0f4(Pro Free). I've changed the version of .NET in Player Settings and other solutions around the web.

The first error is on clsmeshpostprocessor.cs:
    "The type or namespace name `UnityEditor' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?"

If I remove this class the next error is:

"ArgumentException: The Assembly UnityEditor is referenced by ArcLayerManager. But the dll is not allowed to be included or could not be found.
    Error building Player: Extracting referenced dlls failed."

How I can fix this?
    Regards

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  11. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi and thanks for using URG.

The problem you're facing should be solely related to manual compilation of the project. If you just swap from monodevelop after changing and saving the code, Unity automatically targets the right framework (posed that you didn't change the original project references).
    Additionally, the layermanager is only necessary for seamless Unity 3.5 to Unity 4 transition of the demo scene, and you could entirely delete it from the project if you don't intend to use it.

Please write again if you still have trouble running URG after this suggestion.

12. KuRouZu

KuRouZu

Thanks for the quick response. I managed to compile the project deleting files "clsmeshpostprocessor.cs" and "ArcLayerManager.dll". I'm not entirely sure if it is the most appropriate. I'm compiling directly from the Unity editor.

Thank you again for your support.

13. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

We're glad you sorted it out.
    You workaround is good and poses no consequence if you don't plan to port the demo scene from Unity 3.5 to Unity 4.

14. Farcrus

Farcrus

Hi, I downloaded the free version for Unity 4.2 and is not generating collision. :(

15. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for letting us know: do you see errors in the console?

16. Farcrus

Farcrus

No, just gave an error when I try to compile the project :(, I had to remove it to compile :cry: (sorry my bad English I'm Brazilian :roll: )

17. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Manual compilation is not necessary thanks to monodevelop: it's just enough to save the code and switch back to Unity for proper background build of the changes.

To be able to manually compile regardless, make sure that the .net target is 4.0 in the project options.

If you still can't get it to work, please tell us what error do you see in the console.

18. kenlem

kenlem

Pardon me if this has been covered before but I'm seeing a 2-4 second delay on the ragdoll becoming active when I start a scene. All my other rigid bodies start dropping when the scene starts but my rag dolls sit there then activate. Am I doing something wrong?

19. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi and thanks for using URG!

What you're experiencing might be related to character animations.
    Basically, as long as you have a running animation, physics won't take over a kinetified ragdoll.
    Usually you just need to introduce an
    animation.Stop();
    command in your 'ragdoll event'.

Please verify and let us know if the problem persists.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  20. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Hello,

I just bought this and I'm trying to wrap my head around the Mecanim implementation.

I want a Mecanim driven character to switch to a ragdoll after being shot, then switch back so he can get back up.

I downloaded the Mecanim Tutorial from the asset store and your Mecanim file you posted awhile back. I installed the URG Standard and then installed the your small files. Now I get the following error:

Assets/Scripts/AnimatorController_UI.cs(31,25): error CS0103: The name `clsurgutils' does not exist in the current context

So I noticed your "AnimatorController_UI.cs" updated script does not have the following lines of code:

Code (csharp):
    1. using System.Collections.Generic;
    2. using clsurgutils = U_r_g_utils.clsurgutils;
    So I added them to your updated script and I now get the following error:

UPDATE
    Ok, I got it working by removing the "false" from this line in the AnimatorController_UI.cs script.
    Code (csharp):
    1. clsurgutils.metgodriven(transform, false, varvelocity);
    So, All I have to do to go from Mecanim to URG is really just disable the Mecanim control script and animator. Ok, simple enough, but how do I go back to Mecanim?

Thanks,

UPDATE 2

Ok, I have the kinetic Ragdoll created and it works when I kill the character. I added the dismember function and placed it in my scene, it seems to slow stuff down quite a bit. I wanted to make a quick build to check it. When I try to create a build, it fails with this error

So I moved that script into the editor folder and ran a build again, and I get this error:

and

So I can't create a build.

UPDATE 3

I moved the ArcLayerManager file into the editor folder as well and all seems to be ok now.

As a new customer just learning your tool I have a few suggestions.

1) Unless I'm missing something, most of the videos on your Youtube account just show off the functionality of the tool and not actual walkthrough tutorials. You really should have a number of tutorials one to cover each a specific function of the tool.

2) Include a Mecanim demo in the tool itself, the only way I found out about your Mecanim updated script was because I read through a bunch of pages on this thread. Sticking an updated script and telling customers to download the Mecanim demo from Unity is not very clean.

3) The tool, documentation, and tutorials need to be cleaned up.

Ok, so now I have a few questions:

1) Do you have a script that I can attach to the colliders of the ragdoll that will detect force applied to active the dismemberment on the corresponding joint?

2) How do I get from the ragdoll back to Mecanim control?

Thanks,

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  21. kenlem

kenlem

Yes, that was it. Thanks.

22. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi and thanks for using URG!

We're sorry that you had some start up problems, but it seems you deployed URG! in an ongoing project?
    We usually suggest importing the asset into a new project for the first time, and then running the demo scene.

In any case, your suggestions are very welcome. Please note however that:
    1) The reference file shows usage scenarios with code examples, and the new demo scene offers insight into implementation steps.
    2) The only critical factor with Mecanim characters is 'stopping' the animation system by disabling the mecanim controller.
    But we will absolutely add proper material for it.
    3) We'll go over things again and do our best to make the tool easier to understand.

Regarding your questions:
    1) You should verify if the "Add URG entity scripts" checkbox in the options during ragdoll creation suits your needs.
    Please check out the "URGent ragdoll" showcase and reference file. The actuators and ragdoll manager should be exactly what you're looking for.
    2) Regarding this question, are you using Mecanim for the rigging alone, or also for the animation management?

23. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Thanks for the quick response. Thanks for addressing my suggestions.

I'm using Mecanim for animation management.

Thanks,

24. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Hello,

Along with my previous question,

When I dismember a particular body part most of the time I get a clean break, but some times it breaks but part of it is still attached to the parent and as the body part rolls away, it gets elongated and stretched.

Thanks,

25. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

That usually happens when you cut an unindexed bone.
    Unindexed bones are printed out during D compilation process.
    Basically, those are bones that have no vertices weighted. D does not automatically decide to cut parent or child in those cases, and simply detaches the bone.

To avoid cutting an unindexed bone, it could be enough to perform a
    vargamboneindexes check on the dismemberator:

Code (csharp):
    1. ... your cut routine
    2. clsdismemberator varD = root.GetComponentInChildren<clsdismemberator>(); //it's usually better to cache this on Awake or similar
    4. if (varD != null) {
    5.     if (varcurrentD.vargamboneindexes.IndexOf( varmytransformtocut) > -1) {
    6.         clsurgutils.metdismember(varmytransformtocut, varD.vargamstumpmaterial, varD, varD.vargamparticleparent, varD.vargamparticlechild, true, true);
    7.     }
    8.     else {
    9.         Debug.LogWarning("Unindexed bone", varmytransformtocut);
    11. }
    12. else {
    13.     Debug.LogWarning("No D");
    14. }
    15. ... your after cut code
    NOTE: untested code.

Please see if this approach solves the issue.

PS
    We're working on the Mecanim animation control demo

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  26. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Hello,

That seemed to fix my issue. I really love your tool, It's awesome! It's now working perfectly, all I need now is a way to transition back to Macanim from a ragdoll!

Thanks,

27. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Update:

This did not work, It's still doing it. any other suggestions?

Thanks,

28. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I used a different model and it's doing the same thing as the first model, it's seems to always be in the Left Shoulder.

I've been using the your test scene. What other options can I try?

Here are two screenshots of two different models. all I did was cut the spine. the body collapsed a bit and the left arm kind of detached, witch I don't think it should, I didn't detach the arm at all.

As you can see this happens to all the models.

I need help on this.

Attached Files:

• $SS1.jpg
      $SS1.jpg
      File size:
      114.7 KB
      Views:
    • $SS2.jpg
      $SS2.jpg
      File size:
      111 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  29. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Shoulders are typically unindexed with armatures that come from automatic rigging, but a cut to the spine should work as intended.
    Please send us the raw model and we'll take a look at what's happening. Check out the manual for our support email address.

30. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

We figured out what was the issue.
    Your model was skinned to an automatic rig that placed the shoulders above the neck.
    URG respects this choice when creating the ragdoll, but this causes the issue you saw with the D.

Solution is very simple:
    1- explore the armature and look for arm bones (leftarm and rightarm)
    2- drag the Spine2 gameobject in the "Connected body" attribute of the characterjoint of each arm (this will replace the Neck)
    3- rerun the D compiler

Separation should work as intended.

NOTE: you will need to manually retouch the hand colliders since the wrist and the palm bones are too near in your model.

31. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

That did it! Thanks so much!

32. Setmaster

Setmaster

Can this be used in non-humanoids?

33. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Hello,

I want to destroy the dismembered body part a few seconds after a dismember action. I see that it becomes a new object, how can I destroy it?

Thanks,

34. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

We've successfully ragdolled many kinds of non humanoids.
    Basically as long as you have a game character that can be put on two legs, URG! will create the basic ragdoll for it.
    In order, it'll ragdoll spine, head, legs and arms.
    Then to complete the ragdolling process (for example with multiple arms or legs), it's enough to use the ragdoll connection feature, once the tool us run targeting the limbs that weren't ragdolled initially.

In short: non humanoids can be successfully ragdolled, but they require some tweaking.

35. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi and thanks for this question.

The easiest way to create any behavior for the parent or child dismembered parts is to create a gameobject with the behavior you need (for example particles, a timed destruction script, etc.), and use it as a parameter for the dismemberator function.

Code (csharp):
    2. ...//your routine here
    3. clsurgutils.metdismember(transform, myStumpMaterial, myDismemberator, myDismemberator.vargamparticleparent, myDismemberator.vargamparticlechild);
    The dismemberator component has two public properties that can accomodate D specific parent and child particles (the ones used in the function call above), but of course any gameobject can be passed.
    These gameobjects get instantiated and parented to the respective part.

36. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Hello,

That fixed my issue, thanks.

I've noticed a really huge performance hit when I have more then a few characters in my scene, even if they are not active, my scene runs about 5 fps. I've also noticed that when I just have the gameobject that has the "clsurgent" and "clsdismemberator" scripts selected either in a scene or in the Project tab, my editor bogs way down. The mouse gets really slow.

I wanted to have a few characters inactive in my scene and active them when needed, but with them all inactive in my scene it still runs at 5 fps. If I remove the inactive characters it runs at 60 fps. It seems the "clsurgent" or "clsdismemberator" is a real hog. Like I said, it even slows my mouse down when I just have the gameobject that they are on selected.

I'm running a Mac Pro 12 Core system with 20 gb of ram, so processing power is not an issue.

37. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Please try this:
    1- Select any of the characters that host the clsdismemberator class
    2- Fold the component so that it's compressed
    3- Check if the performance hit is still there

If the issue is gone, what you're seeing could be a model importer issue, if your models have a very high number of triangles (15000+)

If the issue is still there, you might be running a fully physical simulation, that the scene can't handle. To check this out, select the animation component on the characters and disable the 'Animate physics' flag to verify.

38. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Thanks for the replay,

It speeds up with the component folded (I don't have animation physics on).

The models are about 7000 polys BUT: the models have LODs on them (High, Med. Low, and crowd), I turned off all but Med, but I didn't delete them when I ran the Big D. process on them. Does that matter? Should I have deleted the other LODs then run the D?

Thanks,

Also,

Should I rebake the D with deleted LODs or will just folding the component do it for the performance in the scene?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  39. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Non indexed LODs don't matter to the D, since compilation only targets a specific skinned mesh renderer.
    You should check the framerate in three situations:
    1- characters without ragdoll or D
    2- characters with ragdolls
    3- characters with ragdolls and D

If you see a performance drop just at point 1, you might have a code bottleneck (for example A.I.)
    If you see it at point 2, it's a physics issue. You might have accessories "triggering physics events" each frame (for example a non kinematic rigidbody on a weapon, or cloth, etc.)
    If you see it at point 3, double check that you have no skinned mesh renderer component host selected when you go into playmode.
    Ragdolls and D are 100% passive, since they implement no Update loop.

Please let us know what do you find.

40. axCed

axCed

I need to make a fish movement animation. I was planning on using a ragdoll where the tail of the fish will follow the head. The head is moving with physics applied via script. The idea is that when the fish is turning, the body bends to turn with the new direction of the head.

I saw the demo with the swinging tree and I have hope for my non-humanoid model to work. I need to find more documentation and tutorial about how to use URG and how to use the features available. It seems so good and time saving.

Can you tell me if it is possible to use URG to make my fish movement?

41. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

The ragdoll tool uses a tiny A.I. to determine the game model extremities, but it basically always starts looking for a spine.
    This means that, as long as you orient your fish looking UP, so that its spine is vertical and its head is at the top, with its fins left and right, it basically resembles a standard human t-pose.
    URG should have no trouble creating a proper ragdoll for it.

Furthermore, you can try and even final it with the free version, if you're willing to manually add colliders!
    Of course though, the Dev and Standard versions are a lot more powerful since they expose all parameters and include the Urgent classes, the Animation States Manager and the Dismemberator.

Do note though, you'll need to create the fish movement algorithm if you intend it to be fully physical (i.e. not driven by animations).

42. Seith

Seith

Hello, does this ragdoll system work with Mecanim? Thanks...

43. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi and sorry for the late reply,

URG works well with mecanim as long as you disable the animator to perform ragdoll related activities, exactly like you do when using the Animation system (Mecanim's dad)
    Mecanim is still a work in progress so it still offers 0 tools to dynamically manipulate states, and thus you can only go from mecanim to ragdoll or from mecanim to dismember, but not the other way around. Additionally the animation states manager works only on legacy animation systems (Needs an Animation component).

44. karlhulme

karlhulme

Hello,

My character never comes to rest. He responds beautifully to a small explosion but then long after he's hit the ground he's still writhing about! The colliders look to be a good fit around the bones. Can anyone tell me what might cause this, or how to diagnose further?

kind regards
    Karl

45. karlhulme

karlhulme

Ah silly me, I had ended up with 2 character joints (instead of zero) connecting the root transform of my models armature (pelvis) with the root node of the model (tallguy). Removing both of these resolved the problem.

46. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Sorry for the late reply, and thanks for letting us know that you easily solved the problem.

Happy ragdolling!

47. BloodOmen

BloodOmen

After it's dismembered, would it be possible have animation on the model affect the ragdoll ?

For example I have a stiff robot where some limb dismember but after it's on the ground it flex or something.
    Thanks
    I'm having a pain on creating ragdoll in unity and making them stiff, i'm thinking about buying your plugin. Was curious if it would be possible. Note I'm using mecanim.

Also, how about non humanoid ragdoll ? I was thinking of maybe doing "dismembering" like a hinge joint on Car, like wheel might stay on the ground when the car move or something.

Cheers,
    Thanks

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  48. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Regarding 'pre-death' animations we have something in mind, so please give us some time to test it out and we'll get back to you.

Regarding scenery separation, this is already possible. As long as you have a basic armature set up (object must be skinned and rigged like any other animated character), you can dismember it. For example, this can be seen on the platform example in the free version.
    Note that by 'scenery' we actually mean 'anything non humanoid'.
    From a chest to a tree to a bike to a car or whatever else. As long as it's skinned, it can be animated and broken apart. Separation is simply managed by detaching each skinned bone along with its skinned vertices.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  49. SkermunkelStudios

SkermunkelStudios

Is there perhaps a tutorials that shows the step-by-step process of setting up non-humanoid ragdolls? It would be immensely useful, as you really have an amazing plugin but it is also extremely dynamic and extensive and it can be quite daunting for a new user.

50. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Setting up non humanoid ragdolls is basically straightforward and equivalent to standard ragdolls, so we don't have specific "how to"s.
    It all comes down to the fact that URG tries to create a full ragdoll regardless of the game model that it receives as target.

So the process is:
    1- run URG! on the game model
    2- use the vertical ragdoll feature and the rigidbody connect feature on missing limbs / parts, after the gameobject is rotated appropriately for each missing part

These two videos explain how this works.
    Vertical ragdoll: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5cCZEMyHjE
    Fake limbs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbhsATVjjV0