Search Unity

[Release] URG! The ultimate ragdoll generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by The-Arc-Games, Oct 9, 2011.

1. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Awesome, thanks :)

Kinetified characters are a bit heavier on the CPU in respect to normal characters, but it's usually worth it, especially to streamline the ragdolling process. Additionally, they're particularly indicated when using the animation states manager to turn the ragdoll back into animation, since it becomes possible to preserve the eventual original character class of the character.
    The demo scene has a nice workflow example for this, so you can have non-lethal rollovers too :D

2. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, I'll dig in to the demos and docs then :)

3. derkoi

derkoi

I've used the Ragdolify script but seem to be having this issue:

Do i need to manually destroy the original?

Also, one of the legs doesn't get ragdolled?

4. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Using ragdollify the original needs to be destroyed, yes. Since the ragdoll is instantiated, you have two gameobjects at that point.
    The leg seems not ragdolled in fact. Please refer to this video to check and solve the issue: http://youtu.be/J1joPQEi4T4

5. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried repositioning the model so it will pick up the leg but it still won't work. Here's a video:

6. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for the video: you're experiencing a 'microphone effect'. Basically, your final ragdoll will not look like that, since you need to determine a 'better' ragdoll source, given that there's most certainly more than one mesh renderer.

You should just need to recreate the ragdoll by going a level 'deeper' into the armature:
    1- after your ragdoll is created, note which source was detected by URG!
    2- click once over the URG window source slot that contains the name of the detected ragdoll root, and the respective gameobject will get selected into the hierarchy
    3- expand the hierarchy tree of the source, and drag the child of the source as root
    4- clear physics and create the new ragdoll. after this step, you should see a more fitting ragdoll

You can see an example of the same problem, and how to achieve the correct result, from 00:10 to 00:40 of this video http://youtu.be/xnj7kLn7x8g (the actual 4.1 update should become live in the next few days)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  7. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, that did the trick. I dragged in the pelvis it worked flawlessly. :D

8. ProtoJazz

ProtoJazz

I hate to sound stupid, but I have no idea how to use the dismemberator script. Ive tried looking at the demo scene, but I dont really get how it works. All I understand is that in the demo it switches out the to a diffrent ragdoll.

9. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Sorry if the example is not clear. Here's a short description of the method:
    1- create a ragdoll
    2- start Big D from the Gameobject=> Other=> Ultimate Ragdoll Dismemberator menu
    3- drag your character into the source slot and wait for completion
    4- your character now hosts the clsdismemberator class. Do note that this class has no public methods.
    5- call the clsurgutils.metdismember function from your character script (in the following example, the character script is hosted in the same gameobject as clsdismemberator):

Code (csharp):
    2. //.. class declarations
    3. public Transform vargampart;
    4. public Material vargamstumpmaterial;
    5. public GameObject vargamparticleparent, vargamparticlechild;
    6. //..
    8.     //..designated separation point inside any user function
    9.     clsdismemberator varD = GetComponent<clsdismemberator>();
    10.     if (varD != null) {
    11.         clsurgutils.metdismember(transform, varD.vargamstumpmaterial, varD, varD.vargamparticleparent, varD.vargamparticlechild);
    12.     }
    13.     else {
    14.         Debug.LogError("No Dismemberator Class in host.");
    15.     }
    16.     //..
    Let us know if you still have trouble getting D to work.

10. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Unity 4.1 Update is now available on the asset store. Update your asset or get it from the asset store for more ragdoll awesomeness!

Here's the news:
    Together with the other changes, we've introduced two useful user requests, aimed to a sensible ragdoll quality increase.

The first update is the volumetric head collider, which uses vertex data in addition to bone structure, to create neck and head colliders. Like the majority of URG features, this behavior can be toggled off in favor of the original method, which only uses armature extents.

The second update is the part compressor, which basically uses collider data to create one collider out of two. This allows to overcome certain inappropriate results where for example one limb is modelled with more bones than it should have. Albeit this could be used as a trick to simulate a limb becoming broken on ragdoll mode, results aren't always good, so the compressor now allows a more realistic interpretation of the original armature, even if only capsule - capsule absorption is implemented in this version.

11. Pauls

Pauls

Hi,
    i'm sorry to ask this question, but i don't understand if this generator would be a good solution for my game : i would like to use several ragdolls (around 10) at the same time and several times during the game, but the prefab of the characters that will use a ragdoll will always be the same, i don't know if it is an important detail. And my game is for mobile, so :
    I don't know if i have to look at the ragdolls or actually see with 2,3 colliders and joints instead?
    If your generator can let me use these ragdolls on mobile and save some performance?

I'm sorry to ask this, i hope you are selling a lot of generators, and i would be pleased to participate and enjoy it, but i am not sure if i would need it right now and if it is the right solution for my game on mobile?

Thanks a lot

Paul

12. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for your question. You would not say it from the current star rating, or from the (lack of) asset store comments, but URG is a successful asset which has two main strengths:
    - it's controversy-free. that's why the lack of ratings. you end up using it and you basically forget it's there. especially since it uses Unity's basic components to achieve its awesome results.
    - we're dedicated to the best customer support possible. since version one, we've incorporated all user requests that we could, and more. we've repeatedly patched the tool to better serve one particular case or the other.

So the preamble was meant to tell you that we would never want somebody to purchase URG if they can't benefit from it.
    In your case, the only worry would be performance. URG is right now the best game character physic generator available for Unity, but it basically just uses colliders, joints and rigidbodies, so you can somewhat easily determine the maximum performance hit in your target platform.

Download the free version, and use the soldier ragdoll a number of times in your scene, tweaking the ragdoll helper script to trigger the ragdoll function for all your characters (a simple for iteration over any number of public transforms, basically), keeping in mind that the soldier is a polygon heavy model, with many more bones than necessary!

If you're satisfied with the result in your scene, you have your answer. There's just no comparison between the time it takes to manually create or finetune a ragdoll, in respect to using URG's functionality :) (one click ragdolls, ragdoll to animation, dismemberation, etc.)

13. Pauls

Pauls

Thank you for the answer, I'll give it a try! Thanks!

14. SmallHouseGames

SmallHouseGames

Hi,
    I have recently purchased this asset and I am having trouble activating the ragdolls. I understand that there are different methods of doing so.
    The ragdoll on my model works well, I then set all the parts to isKinematic, however I cant seem to work out what I need to do to re-trigger the physics. I've read through all the scripts provided (I have the developer edition) but I keep seeing the script called clskinetify mention but its not included.
    I've watched all the videos on your YouTube channel but I cant find a tutorial :S

Can you please help(I'm still getting into Unity :p)

It's a great asset however!

Harry

15. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hello and thanks for your kind words.
    the clskinetify script is a free version asset, and we indeed missed correcting the reference, since the kinetify functionality is now part of the clsurgutils interface in the Standard and Dev versions.

Simply put, you just need the root transform of your ragdoll, which we define with, for example, "varcharacter":

Code (csharp):
    2. //...your go-ragdoll function
    3. clsurgutils.metgodriven(varcharacter);
    4. //...
    We're sorry for the confusion caused. The Ratman_kinetified character now hosts a clstrigger class, which is the one actually making the call to the metgodriven (which is basically the function equivalent of the clskinetify class of the free version).

16. SmallHouseGames

SmallHouseGames

Brilliant, thank you!

Just got it working, very happy :p

Thanks again!

17. chaneya

chaneya

You have a video on youtube titled "URG! 110% ragdoll. URGent and ragdollimbifier demonstration".
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72zNovIhoLg

It shows a nice implementation of ragdollimbified where you have buttons you can press to break the characters arms and legs. Unfortunately I'm unable to understand your english so it's very hard to follow what you are doing to achieve that effect. And there are no captions like your other videos.

I am unable to find this implementation in the Demo stage stupid drivers Scene you provided in the Developer version.
    And the documentation under section C.) "Ragdollimbified" also doesn't explain this implementation, unless I'm missing something.

I was wondering if you would be willing to package that break limbs scene shown in the video and post it so I can have an example of how you achieved that effect in code and in scene setup. (Similar to what you did with the Mecanim animation Controller Urg package that you posted on mediafire back in December. (That was extremely helpful and great customer service)).

Thanks
    Allan

18. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for checking out the video, and sorry about the audio. We made sure to put subtitles in it for this reason :D
    You should be able to follow it with subtitles on (just click on the subtitles icon during video playback) :)

In regards to "ragdollimbification", the functionality is implemented in the free version exactly like in the video (the character that runs in circles and you can hit with the cannonball), while in "Stupid drivers", you have a more 'real world' use with the ratman that's hit by the weight that hangs from the palmtree.

In any manner, we'll be more than happy to prepare an ad hoc scene for better reference, so thanks for the request!

PS
    just noticed your comment on the video. Youtube doesn't seem to properly notify by email when comments are posted :(

19. chaneya

chaneya

Ok I think I figured out the "Mouse Click limbs to go Ragdoll effect".
    A separate scene in a package would be greatly appreciated.

In case any one else is wondering how you can effects limbs one at a time by mouse click as in the video, you'll have to make the following changes to the "Stupid Drivers" scene:
    1. In the clsurgentactuator.cs class, uncomment the void OnMouseDown() method at line 49.

2. I put a debug.log in the method as well just so I could make sure I was registering a mouse click.

3. You will want to disable the Mesh Collider on the Weight_Connected that is hanging on the Tree just so it does not crash into the Ratman_ragdollimbified_Urgent character. (This is the character the author is referring to in his reply above)

4. You will need to add an Animation component to the Ratman_ragdollimbified_Urgent character (Component/Miscellaneous/Animation). All void OnMouseDown() does is run metmanagekinemetic method. However, just about the first thing that method does is access the animation component....without checking whether it is Null. If you do not add an Animation Component, you will receive an error "MissingComponentException: There is no Animation...."

5. Run the scene and click the button labeled "Advanced Use: Urgent Ragdoll". The camera is a little far away from the character but you can still click his limbs with the mouse and note the limbs going ragdoll as you click them one at a time.

20. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

We will definitely include a specific scene for the ragdoll on click behavior, but thanks for sharing your workaround.

21. chaneya

chaneya

Just a suggestion but I think you would have better success demonstrating the product by providing separate individual scenes that focus on one aspect of the product. Having a single large scene like "Stupid Drivers" is a nice overall demonstration but it makes it difficult for the user to figure out what parts of URG code are effecting which characters. It's somewhat overwhelming trying to dig through everything and figure out what's going on. As you continue to add functionality to URG, it's only going to get worse if you stick with one large scene that tries to demonstrate all of the great stuff URG can do. I think smaller scenes with a more focused approach in each scene would make the project easier to figure out and thus easier to implement parts of URG into game products. Perhaps you could keep the large scene but then also have a number of smaller scenes that only focus on specific aspects of URG.

I would like to see a scene that focuses specifically on effecting one limb at time.
    On Mouse click: Limb goes from Animation to Ragdoll and then back to Animation on another click
    On Mouse click: Limb goes from Animation to Dismember. So the limb you clicked falls off.

It appears you have a method in clsurgutilites.cs called metdrivebodypart that has this functionality but I don't think it's being used in your demo scene. But I could be wrong about that.

I'm still reading through your code and learning how it all works. Great stuff. I hope my suggestions are helpful.

Allan

22. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Your feedback is very welcome, and we'll certainly consider your thoughts for a better user experience.
    Regarding metdrivebodypart, you're right in both cases: It's the function behind your desired behavior, and it's not used in the demo scene. Stupid drivers showcases the actuator in the form of the ragdollimbifier classes, so you can basically call metdrivebodypart on a ragdoll part that received a collision trigger from the hub.

We'll certainly illustrate this possibility better with the new scene.

Thanks.

23. RonHiler

RonHiler

Hey Arc, need a bit of help with getting the scripts to compile.

URG Version 4.1q Developer edition
    Unity Version 4.0.0f7 Professional

I get the following compiler errors with the three of the script files:

clsurgutilities.cs
    25 Build Errors - Default Parameter Specifiers are not Permitted

U_r_g.cs
    6 Build Errors - Default Parameter Specifiers are not Permitted
    1 Build Error - The namespace '<global namespace>' already contains a definition for 'U_r_g_D

edturganimationstates.cs
    1 Build Error - Default Parameter Specifiers are not Permitted

Obviously I can start ripping out default parameters and whatnot. But I suspect there is something I'm not doing right, either in the installation or somewhere else. Can you advise?

24. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Looks like those are manual compilation messages?
    Manual compilation, contrarily to the automatic, silent background compilation between Monodevelop and Unity (when edit menu=> preferences=> External tools=> editor attaching is checked, and edit menu=> preferences=> general=> auto refresh is checked), requires that the project be running the .NET 4 target framework, to support optional parameters.
    To configure this, access the view menu=> pads=> solution
    then explore the application solution right clicking on it (Assembly-CSharp element for C# projects), and selecting options=> build=>target framework.

That should get rid of the issue.

25. RonHiler

RonHiler

Thanks, that did it. I knew I wasn't doing something right. Glad I asked before I started modifying code :)

And yeah, when I'm writing script, I often manually compile rather than switch into Unity. I tend to write a few lines of code, then compile, just to catch any syntax errors along the way, so it's easier to hit the "Compile" button rather than switch windows.

26. Extreme_u3Damon

Extreme_u3Damon

Hey !
    Am Really happy of my purchase , cause am looking for something that can brake the meshes , and now woow ! already have ragdoll !

but i see some problems :(
    please see the image below :

well as for description , the "Dismemberator" is not working properly ! i donno why !
    i just import the pack and test the demo scene !
    and am using the Developer Version that i bought just a week ago and the Unity4.0.1 Pro ...
    could you please tell me that is that fixable or not ?

Attached Files:

27. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hello,

what you see normally happens when upgrading the project from 3.5: the dismemberator needs to be recompiled because the two versions store triangles differently.

To fix the scene, please run the Dismemberator from the "Gameobject=> Create other=> URG Dismemberator" menu, and drag the "Ratman_ragdollimbified_Urgent_D" gameobject from the scene into the source slot.
    Once the process is complete, make sure the clsdismemberator component is folded (if it's unfolded the scene view requires more resources), and run the scene again.
    Part separation should work as expected.

28. Extreme_u3Damon

Extreme_u3Damon

The Problem is Stood Still !!!!

29. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Please update Unity to the latest version, and see if this fixes the problem.
    If it doesn't, create a whole new project, import URG from the asset store, and mail us the console log, so that we can figure what's going on.

30. Extreme_u3Damon

Extreme_u3Damon

31. datadebaser

datadebaser

hi arc cgames
    i just got URG standard edition for my unity 4 free version for mac osx. I'm getting the following compile errors on your demo scene:

Assets/UltimateRagdollStandard/__scripts/clstrigger.cs(15,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `clstrigger'

Assets/UltimateRagdollStandard/__scripts/clsurgentnodes.cs(14,14): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `clsurgentnodes'

Assets/UltimateRagdollStandard/__scripts/clsurgutilities.cs(12,21): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `clsurgutils'

any quick fixes for this?

32. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Multiple namespace errors mean that you actually have the script more than once in your project, so that looks like a folder copy issue (during import same scripts are usually updated rather than duplicated).
    Please use the project search toolbox and type the namespaces, you'll find where the duplicates are located.

Unless you made changes to them, delete the oldest ones and you should be all set.

33. sobek

sobek

Hi
    This asset really looks great.
    I would like to buy the standard version, but since i am using unity 3.5 i cant download it or even purchase it at the asset store, which says i need to update to unity 4.0 to do so. So how can i buy it?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  34. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for your interest in URG!
    This issue is caused by some recent changes in the asset uploading system, unfortunately.

We will work around the problem by publishing an Unity 3.5 specific version of the next URG update, version 4.2, which should be out in about a month.

As of now, URG is fully compatible with Unity 3.5, since it includes an asset package that can be imported in a 3.5 project, but Unity 4 is needed to download it.

Sorry for the trouble, but the Unity staff doesn't seem too eager to maintain compatibility with 3.5.

35. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

We have changed our release plan for 4.2 slightly, and decided to try a rollback to a Unity 3.5 MasterVersion.
    This way, all current Unity userbase should be able to benefit both from the free and purchase versions instantaneously.

As of now URG is 100% compatible with Unity 3.5, but requires some installation steps, and we've decided to try and avoid the hassle for our current and future 3.5 users, to also streamline updates.

36. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Arc, how well does URG play with mecanim? Can you ragdoll individual bones like in your example scene (and go back again), using a mecanim driven character? what about the dismemberment?

EDIT: just noticed the mediafire package a few pages back, good to see... but what about the individual limb stuff? I'd like to ragdoll from the hips down in a "hanging from edge" animation, for example.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  37. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for your interest in URG!

For a start, dismemberment works perfectly on Mecanim driven characters. No implementation difference in respect to an Animation based character.
    Regarding individual limbs the situation is different since, with a full Mecanim character (one that substitutes the animation component with an Avatar), the Avatar keeps driving the ragdoll parts with an animation, so it basically doesn't work.
    We have planned a different, universal approach for the part breaker, but it won't make it into 4.2 which should be out in the next couple of weeks.

38. Mykemyke

Mykemyke

Hello,

First off let me say this is an amazing plugin with an extensive set of valuable features. Right now I am in need of some help from the developers though on how to get started with Big D. I tried to set up my first ragdoll and followed all the instructions I could find (website, youtube, readme) and when I go to disconnect the body parts they remain attached like Stretch Armstrong. I guess I need an example scene of how to make URG and Mecanim play nice as well as Mouse Click body part drop. If you could please be so kind as to reply back to me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Cade
    CEO
    Apoc Games LLC

P.S. I am sure it is something on our end; however the documentation is a little lacking.

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  39. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for your appreciation.

Regarding your issue, if a separated part remains attached, it's usually because of a misplaced root bone during D compilation.
    This can normally be fixed by choosing the correct root bone, and specifying its name in the "Armature gameobject".
    In simple words, the root bone is usually the parent gameobject of the first skeleton bone of the character, which Y coordinate is not 0, or alternatively the sibling or parent of the skinned mesh renderer gameobject.
    Also, please verify that the compilation process completed correctly, and check any messages that the process might write to the console.

40. ashjack

ashjack

I have the free version, and when I use URG on a mixamo rig (no animations set) he goes limp, but his torso is floating in the air, so his limbs hang from his torso. How can I make his torso react to gravity?

41. ashjack

ashjack

I've just realised, his torso is not floating, it's just the only part of his body that collides with the terrain. His legs, arms and head just flop through the floor. How can I stop this?

42. ashjack

ashjack

Sorry for the double post

Last edited: Jun 15, 2013
  43. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

HI and thanks for your interest in URG!

What you're seeing is the limitation of the free version, as explained in the text on-screen.
    To obtain a complete ragdoll, you'll need to add part colliders manually.
    Basically, you'll need spheres for the neck and head, boxes for the spine and capsules for the arms and legs.

44. Runemark

Runemark

Hi! Just bought the dev version of URG! and I'm very happy with it! Nice Job!

But I have a problem:
    My player character cant move properly if I press any of the move keys. For example if I press W (forward running), she flies up...

I use Character Controller, with the default Character Motor from the Standard Assets. For animate I'm using mecanim, with apply root motion unchecked. If I drop something on the characters head, she collapses well (got trigger for turning off controller, animator and the animation handler script). But I can't move... I think, its becouse the ragdoll bodypart collides with the character controller... but I'm not sure...

Update: I found a solution. I put the character root object and the bodyparts on the different layers, and turned of the collision between them in the collision matrix.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  45. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for using URG!

The solution you found is the one we suggest, since it's the most convenient! Well done :)

46. Runemark

Runemark

Yep, it is. :)
    But an other question:
    I want something like in the demo scene, where the ironthing on the rope hits the character. But I want this effect, when one character hits the other. I found an interesting part in the clsurgentactuator scripts onCollisionEnter function: "//apply the original force". Is it possible to use something similar in the trigger event? I mean, is there any built in method?

47. ashjack

ashjack

How can I toggle if my character is in ragdoll state or not?

48. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

The typical way to implement that function is to iterate through all rigidbodies of the target gameobject, and 'addforce' them, since applying a force to a single gameobject normally does not produce the wanted effect (because of inverse kinematic bounds between the receiver gameobject and its parent).

We're finally sorting things out with version 4.2 which is to be released this Sunday.
    The utilities of version 4.2 implement a physic driving routine that receives a force, and applies it automatically, so it should be what you need.

49. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

The nearest definition of toggling a ragdoll state is to start with a Kinematic ragdoll, drive it into physic at some point, and then later drive it into kinematic mode again.
    Basically, if playing an animation moves the limbs, the ragdoll is off, while if the ragdoll parts follow gravity, the ragdoll is on.

To properly transition from ragdoll to animation though it's suggested that you use URG ASM, the animation states manager that creates a transition animation from ragdoll to animation pose.
    It's easy to use so please see the documentation for instructions if interested.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  50. shoo

shoo

Hellow!
    Can I make work ASM with Big D together? ASM got errors, when some bone dismembered.
    How can I get dismembered part in my detouch script?
    Thanks!