Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Release] URG! The ultimate ragdoll generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by The-Arc-Games, Oct 9, 2011.

1. machapu

machapu

Great! Thank you!

2. PutOption

PutOption

Nice work guys! I'm experimenting with the free version and I have a question about the ragdoll operation when one of the bones is constrained. Let's use the demo scene as an example where Lerpz has been fully ragdolled. When I pick up his head (i.e. select the "head" child from the Hierarchy under Lerpz_kinematic and manually change his position), his head moves but the rest of the ragdoll doesn't follow -- there's just a stretching of the neck. Is there support for picking up or holding a bone in the air and having the rest of the ragdoll droop? And similarly, can the ragdoll be swung around if I pick up a bone and toss it?

3. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi and thanks for trying URG!

What you're experiencing is the result of a 'kinematic' ragdoll. If you check the single rigidbodies of the ragdoll, you'll notice that the 'is kinematic' parameter is checked for all of them.
    What this means is that all parts will interact with physical objects that 'are thrown' at them, but they will basically not react to gravity or forces otherwise (they won't fall nor be nudged).
    To transform a kinematic ragdoll into a 'driven' ragdoll (the one where you pick a bone and the rest of the armature follows physically), there's the 'metgodriven' function in the urg utilities script. Its usage is very simple you just call it whenever you need it passing the root transform of the kinematic ragdoll!
    Do notice that, to be able to make the ragdoll 'hang' from one limb, you will need to turn that limb's rigidbody back into 'is kinematic' mode, otherwise gravity will fight against you to keep it around :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. PutOption

PutOption

OK, still trying to understand if this will work for my situation. In the demo scene, if I hit Play and click "Go ragdoll" a ragdoll is created "Soldier_ragdoll(Clone)". All of the Ridigbodies on that object have "Is Kinematic" unchecked. If I pick a bone, say "LLegCalf" and check "Is Kinematic" and uncheck "Use Gravity", I have a ragdoll as you have described. If I click on LLegCalf in the Hierarchy, and change Transform.position.y to 3, the ragdoll goes sailing up into the air instead of being suspended by that bone at Y=3. What else needs to happen to get the ragdoll to hang from LLegCalf at Y=3?

5. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

What you're trying to achieve is basically a ragdoll drag, which is normally performed through a very simple dynamic joint creation.
    There is an original Unity script just for this, DragRigidbody.js (you can find a copy here, too: script). Add this script to an empty gameobject in your scene, and you should be all set.

NOTE: the original script needs a little tweak. Change the corresponding original lines with these:

Code (csharp):
    1.         if (!springJoint)
    2.         {
    3.                 var go = new GameObject("Rigidbody dragger");
    4.                 var body : Rigidbody = go.AddComponent ("Rigidbody") as Rigidbody;
    5.                 springJoint = go.AddComponent ("SpringJoint") as SpringJoint;
    6.                 body.isKinematic = true;
    7.         }

6. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

couldn't resist bought it :)
    keep it up .

7. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks, and don't hesitate to post again if you have requests or suggestions.

8. Artial

Artial

There is still at leat an invalid filename in the dev version I just bought. I have to skip the folder : "URG/_models/ props" because of a white space in the " props" subfolder.

9. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

The last update with the fix is live on the asset store. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  10. tmayr

tmayr

Hi,

I am currently trying to get started with your ragdoll creator, but I find it a bit difficult, since your website is down and I cannot find a documentation at any other place. :)

11. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for using URG.

You'll notice that the website is up again. We have actually moved to a completely different platform so we'll put up content again as soon as possible.
    In the meantime, please refer to the readme file included in the root of the package. It's basically the manual in text format.

And please write back if you have any questions, requests or suggestions!

12. danielo

danielo

13. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

It is absolutely possible. These are indeed the ragdolls we love most, and which are pretty easy thanks to URG's ragdollimbifier. Alternatively, making such a ragdoll requires good understanding of how unity works in relation to animation and physics:

For a start, you need to have a Skinned Mesh Renderer component. Basically any mesh that has some animations will receive this component upon import.
    For said SMR, you need to toggle on the 'Animate physics' flag. This will make it so that all colliders and rigidbodies of the animated, ragdolled character, will actually interact with physics objects.

Then there's at least a couple of 'easy' solutions, to blend the ragdoll with the animation:
    1- stop all animations on the character, and make all rigidbodies non-kinematic. Voila': ragdoll. Use URG's kinematifier routines can save you a lot of work.
    2- interact with animation curves. You need to 'instance' all animations and replace them on the character's awake, and you just delete bone curves from the animation when you require a particular bone to break (this is a parallel, difficult approach to URG's ragdollimbifier, which is of far easier use).

Have fun :)

14. DigiLusionist

DigiLusionist

I am developing a game that needs this type of functionality!

After reviewing your site and the videos, I notice something about rag doll AI that is always missing: Protective Falling.

By this I mean, a falling person will instinctively turn their head in the direction they are falling toward, and extend their arms in order to stop themselves.

If they are falling backward from a standing position, they usually try to take a step or two back as they fall, in order to regain their footing.

And, if they are not stunned or unconscious before they hit the ground, they usually try to protect their heads with their hands or arms.

Are there rotational limits that can be applied to different limbs to achieve a more human fall?

And, is it possible to add protective movement as I described above to the rag doll AI? Or does that defeat the whole purpose of "rag doll" physics?

15. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Your request is most interesting. As a matter of fact however your need revolves around animation blending rather than ragdoll per se. By definition, a ragdoll does "not play" an animation, but in fact just rappresents whatever happens to a given physical body or object when it interacts freely with its environment.
    Protective falling instead requires that an animation be playing -while- the object is in full ragdoll state, or that alternatively a controller function takes over to tweak the physical parameters of given joints, to force a specific final ragdoll state.

By all means, we think that you can achieve a convincing effect by using 'ragdoll states': if you specify a very limited and very specific set of limits for a certain joint, the body parts attached to it will bend to a specific position whenever the rigidbodies become driven (as opposed to kinematic), so for example you can 'preset' a ragdoll for a fetal position, and when the character is in free fall, it will try to get to that state, even if it collides with the scenery. URG does not currently support such a feature.

In any manner, this is a very interesting addition to URG, actually. Give us a few days to see if we can prototype it with favorable results.

16. DigiLusionist

DigiLusionist

It would be interesting to see what you come up with, in regards to combining rag doll with protective falling. If it is simply too complex or counter to the purpose of rag doll physics, I understand.

I agree that what I want most from a rag doll physics tool would be along the lines of setting rotational limits for joints so that the figure rag dolls in a more human-like manner.

17. danielo

danielo

thanks!

18. artician

artician

Hello,

My project needs the main character to pop back to his regular animation after ragdolling, is this possible with URG? Basically I want to toggle the ragdoll on when the character is knocked down, and then toggle it back off so the character can play his "get up" animation, and then return to player control.

Thanks.

19. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hello, and thanks for your interest in URG!

What you are trying to achieve can be done in several ways.
    The easiest one is 'just good enough', but will require at least one specific animation for your character, plus a standard URG! kinematic ragdoll.

The animation requirement is based on the fact that once the character goes ragdoll, with a simple call to the URG! included ragdolling routine, it will fall into an animation free pose, where limbs are pushed around by the physics. You need an animation where the character is in a 'fallen down' pose, and gets back up on his feet.

Basically, what you do is:
    - turn the ragdoll into physic driven with URG!
    - when you need it (once the character has landed, once a specified amount of time has passed, etc. depending on the requirement), turn the ragdoll into kinematic again (it's very easy to do if you use the URGent classes, or just fetch the rigidbodies on the character)
    - play the 'fallen_down_get_up' animation.

This certainly is not perfect, since there will likely be a 'jump' between the physic pose and the animation, but it's a start.

As a matter of fact, we're working on the ragdoll poses routine, that should allow perfect transition between ragdoll and any animation, so hopefully we'll soon deliver the best looking variant of this utility.

20. artician

artician

That's fantastic, thank you very much. That should be perfectly functional for the project I'm doing. I look forward to playing with the poses routine later on as well!

Thanks again.

21. artician

artician

Hi again - I really appreciate the design you put into linking the Ragdoll to another Object. It's very clean and well implemented.

I have another question about turning the ragdoll off and on. I have a Player Object, and a Player Ragdoll which is linked to it. When I turn the ragdoll on, my Player Object is switched for the Player Ragdoll, which is great. When I turn the ragdoll back off then (by getting each rigidbody joint and setting it to isKinematic), I can't switch the Player Ragdoll back to the Player Object.

I might be mistaken (I have not tried it yet), but please let me know if this is correct.

If this is true, then would it be better for me to follow these steps instead:
    - turn the ragdoll into physic driven with URG!
    - when you need it (once the character has landed, once a specified amount of time has passed, etc. depending on the requirement), destroy the ragdoll and create a new Player Object in it's location
    - play the 'fallen_down_get_up' animation.

Does that make sense? Or am I making a mistake?

Many thanks for this fine tool and your helpful support!

22. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Given your chosen approach of having an actual ragdoll (instead of a ragdolled character with kinematic rigidbodies), your alternative steps with ragdoll destruction and player replacement would work.

Ideally however, you would not destroy the player object, but rather disable it, so that all control scripts remain in their predetermined state.

Alternatively, the use of a ragdolled character could be beneficial, since you'd not need to instantiate and destroy the gameobjects, and the cpu cost of the game character which has been ragdolled by URG! is practically irrelevant!

23. artician

artician

I will try this approach then, and not link the ragdoll to another object. The linking between ragdoll and object was well implemented and it made me think it would be easier.

Thank you!

24. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

We're very happy to announce that the Animation States Manager has entered our Q.A. phase, and will be delivered soon to Standard and Developer edition.

We've put up a teaser to showcase its incredible potential:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheArcGamesStudio/featured

25. artician

artician

You guys are seriously on top of things. Congratulations. This is fantastic looking.

About how long until release? (sorry, it makes me impatient). :)

26. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

this is realy great !!

27. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for the kind words.
    We're aiming to release by the end of next week. We're currently at work to achieve the best user code and performance possible.

28. artician

artician

I have a problem I hope you can help me with.

When my player is hit by the enemy, the player character enters the ragdoll state to flop to the ground, and after a predetermined amount of time it switches back to kinematic player control. That is the desired result anyhow, however the result I'm really getting is that, when enabled, the ragdoll will shake up and down rapidly as though it's colliding with itself, the parent charactercontroller, or some other physics.

I have the ragdoll objects on a separate, non-colliding physics layer than the rest of the player objects physics.

I have a kinematic rigidbody on the root player object which I use for triggerEvents. Even though it's on a separate layer from the ragdoll objects (and shouldn't collide with them anyway), I tried enabling useGravity whenever the ragdoll was enabled. There was still no difference in ragdoll behavior though.

It seems like the ragdoll has normal behavior when the character controller is off the ground, but I can't understand the connection.

Does this scenario sound like a common mistake, or something you could suggest a fix for?

When a character enters the ragdoll state, what do you do with the Character Controller? Freeze it until a certain time, and then move it to the new location? Follow the ragdoll dynamically in space?

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2012
  29. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

These are interesting questions!

Regarding the ragdoll shaking, that might happen if your input controller keeps performing some sort of 'charactercontroller.Move' when the character is in ragdoll state. In fact, you should 'enable = false' your character controller input scripts whenever you get into ragdoll state.

What you ideally should do though, is to put the actual single 'charactercontroller.Move or SimpleMove' statement enclosed in a boolean, like

Code (csharp):
    1. if (can_move == true) {
    2.   mycontroller.Move(myvector);
    3. }
    so that whenever the character goes into ragdoll mode, you just
    Code (csharp):
    1. can_move = false
    and don't need to worry about the 'normal' operation of the input script (that can perform any other required input actions)

This suggestion should make your charactercontroller behave properly :)

30. artician

artician

Ah! Not controller, but animations ! Some were still playing on the character, and those were interfering with the dynamics.

I have more questions but I will PM them to you. Thank you for the help.

31. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

My characters are already fully rigged with colliders, attached components, rigid bodies and joints. I'm just looking to get the constraints and axes for the joints set up to produce good-looking, jitter-free results. Can URG help me out with that? Just setting up joint constraints without messing up the rest of the rig?

32. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks for this question: the answer is Yes, it can help solve the issue, in a couple of ways.

1) You easiest option is to use basic ragdoll swap technique: your character needs to become ragdoll => instantiate ragdoll in its place.
    This way your original character is untouched, and you can have your ragdoll behave exactly as needed, without need to interfere with the character.

2) The alternate approach is the "physic element preservation" option toggle during ragdoll creation. If you access the options, you can toggle the "Clear Existing Physics" checkbox at the bottom of the list, but this will preserve all physics in place, so it's normally useful only if you have 'sensor' physics in place, rather than 'bodypart' physics in place.

33. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I'm using the free version and trying to drop an auto-created ragdoll onto a terrain. I can't really figure out what sort of shape or position the collider should have. The default one would cause the ragdoll to hover above the ground; trying to change the shape results in it clipping through the ground or coming to rest in weird standing or upside down positions. It also never seems to really come to rest; it's always swaying back and forth a little bit. What kind of settings should I use to get it to look a little better? It doesn't have to be perfect and a little clipping through terrain is fine but right now I can't seem to wrap my head around what it expects.

34. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

The free version of the tool does not install the right colliders on the body parts, it just crates a generic box collider for the whole model, so that's what you're experiencing.

What you need to do is to basically add colliders by hand. For example, the torso uses box colliders, while the arms and legs use capsule colliders, and the head uses a sphere collider.
    The nasty job of joint and rigidbody setup gets done, though!

35. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

Ah ok that makes sense. I wasn't clear on how the rigid bodies and the colliders work together but now it makes sense. I just fixed it and got it to look decent enough just using a small box on the chest and two on the shins, since the rest generally doesn't bend enough to sink through the floor. Thanks!

36. Acelondoner

Acelondoner

I bought the developer version on the sale the other day and I have a question.

I have successfully added a ragdoll to a character when he dies, but it always seems to be the same. How would I go about varying it?

37. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi and thanks for choosing URG!

The ragdoll behaves based on which forces are applied to it, and there's at least a couple of easy ways to alter the default physic behavior.
    Basically, it's Unity's (and by extension the nvidia physix libraries) default behavior to "re-produce" a physic interaction based on forces, so if you leave a ragdoll in its idle state, and press play, you'll often see very similar physical interactions between the rigidbodies and their colliders.

To differentiate the ragdolls, you simply need to apply different forces to the underlying rigidbodies:
    A) using the URGent classes. You can easily inject the URGent actuators with the relevant checkbox in the URG panel options. After this, you'll have the clsurgent class that hosts transforms of all ragdolled objects, so you can simply make a for cycle on them.
    OR
    B) extract all the rigidbodies from the gameobject root (eventually excluding those that don't pertain to the ragdoll)

C) apply a random force to the rigidbodies

This way you'll ensure that physical interaction is randomized and thus definitely more impredictable.

Attached you find two scripts to do what you need.
    Just attach them to the ragdoll root and you should be all set!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  38. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I'm still on 3.4.2 and can't upgrade. If I buy the latest version of URG, can you supply me with the last version that worked on 3.4.2, or at least give me some pointers on the bits I'll need to fix if I want to backport it?

We're trying to do final polish; URG looks like it will help us tune our ragdolls but if we're going to use it then we need it pretty quickly...

39. Rico21745

Rico21745

I developed my own basic ragdoll system, but I'm curious about URG. Did you ever implement blending of ragdolls and animations? For example, can you have a character stand back up after he goes into ragdoll?

Any other nice features I could take advantage of perhaps?

40. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

The current developer version of URG! is backwards compatible with 3.4.2. We upgraded to 3.5 to comply with the introduced Skinnedmeshrendeder root bone and the improved project path system, but URG!s AI doesn't benefit from the root bone, and the project paths are simply compatible.
    We did not introduce 3.5 only functionality so it's expected to work, albeit we don't have a 3.4.2 right now, we're downloading it so we'll be able to assist fully should the need arise.

We have two great additions in preparation:
    1) The blending of animation and ragdoll is a feature that we called Animation States, which we expect to release soon (we froze the project because of Mecanim, until we could be sure that Unity 4 offered a sensibly different, and in our opinion more complicated, solution than the one we're bringing forward again).

2) The dismemberator:

This utility has proven to be a real challenge, but we're very satisfied with the beta results: can dynamically cut any animated character and its ragdolled bones with an arbitrary plane in space, and provide for triangulation and material mapping of the interested sections of the resulting meshes.
    Both the original character model and the resulting stump retain all original skinned mesh renderer features.
    It's not very clear in the picture, but the material mapping of the cut sections is based on a dynamic material applied with cut-dependent remapping of the texture!

Thanks for your interest in URG!

41. elias_t

elias_t

Ok. I'm sold. I bought it for the dismemberator and waiting patiently for it.

42. Xeir

Xeir

A gruesome yet fascinating update, chuckle. Love the features, both existing and upcoming, that's what prompted me to take the plunge and buy it even though I didn't have a need for it just quite yet. I remember futzing with ragdolls in the past a bit, I figure anything that can make it easier is worth it.

Certainly looking forward to making use of it in the near future. Nice work!

43. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Thanks both!

We're working on the rough edges to make sure both applications work flawlessly.
    Performance wise, the Animation States manager introduces a negligible overhead, despite creating dynamic animations. And the dismemberator can cut an unoptimized ~10000 triangle model in half, in ~0.05 seconds on a 3GHz dual core.

44. CoreVelocity

CoreVelocity

What about ios, say i have like a robot or something and i want his arms and legs to pop off or something like that. would that work for ios?

45. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

The dismemberator works on ios, too, yes. The algorithm is entirely math and unityengine based, in fact. The only suggestion is to use ios suitable models in terms of polycount, to obtain performance comparable to pc and achieve single frame separations!

46. dansav

dansav

Two questions.

I'm trying the free version on a cow and a penguin. For the cow it stretches out his back legs so it looks odd. The penguin looks good however.
    For the penguin and the cow I notice there are no capsule colliders.

I'm trying to find something that could automatically generate the colliders without the ragdoll setup for quadrupeds and other animals. I need the colliders but not the ragdoll although I might use both. Could I use URG for that setup?

Thanks,

Dan

47. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

For a start, quadrupeds are supported as long as they're put in a t-pose for the sole purpose of creating the ragdoll. This can be done easily in the editor, by manually rotating the bones of the four legs, and orienting the spine vertically. You can even prefab it this way, since animations and the transform copy routines can instantiate the model in the correct position afterwards.

Regarding colliders only, that's an utility we're planning to implement after the next update, but right now you can achieve a very similar result by creating a 'kinematic' ragdoll, by just checking the relevant option during creation.

Lastly, even if the free version only injects a basic box collider into the root, it creates all other physics components as the other versions, since this is the best compromise we found between free functionality and ragdoll awesomeness.

So basically the answer is yes. Standard and Developer versions install all colliders, other than the first one of the free version. So you could just use kinematic ragdolls and the effect would be the same as having the colliders only. You just need to set the quadruped model in a T-pose in the editor to create a proper ragdoll.

48. dansav

dansav

Thanks for the detailed and clear explanation. I'll try both of your suggestions.

Dan

49. RonHiler

RonHiler

Hi Arc,

Sorry if this is blatantly obvious from the docs or whatever, I haven't had time to properly research your addon yet, but I'm quite interested given that I've run into limitations with Unity's built in system. Am I to understand this can handle non-bipedal characters as well? I have a fair number of animals I'd like to ragdoll. I have bipedal characters with tails. I have spiders. I even have a model with no limbs at all!

Can models like this be handled by your system? Would there be a lot of manual tweaking I'd have to do to accommodate them?

BTW: The dismemberment ability looks great! That could be quite useful to me as well!

50. The-Arc-Games

The-Arc-Games

Hi and thanks for your interest in URG!

Regarding non bipeds, there's a few ways that the AI can help you ragdoll them.
    For a start, limbless characters are ragdolled as a 'spine'. As long as they're set up vertically and facing along the z axis, they'll become a ragdoll.
    For multi legged characters, there's not properly tweaking needed, but setup, rather. In the worst case (character not remotely resembling a t-pose), you'd need to create linear ragdolls, and attach them together with the specific function available.

So for example, regarding unusual models:
    - Worm model: automatically ragdolled
    - Armless, Legless, headless (and combinations thereof): automatically ragdolled
    - Atypical limb positions, or multiple legs or arms: can require creation of one-click separate linear ragdolls (using the limb start bone as URG source, and orienting the limb upwards in the editor), and connection of these linear ragdolls to the character spine, via URG!s "Connect ragdoll" function.
    Do note that since all unusual model ragdolls are created in the same manner as the 'normal' models, they're equally fully tweakable!