Search Unity

[Release] UModeler : Do you still use ProBuilder? - Model and Prototype Easily within the Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by UModeler, Mar 23, 2017.

1. WinterboltGames

WinterboltGames

Thanks!

I have another question, is there any plans for more unwrapping options? (ex: smart unwrap) currently, the box and plane projections sometimes result in overlapping islands, also, can you increase the UV Editor window zoom in/out speed? Because currently, it feels sluggish.

2. Dickie

Dickie

np, awesome thanks :)

there's a mention from a couple of years ago in this thread about vertex snapping, akin to unity's default behaviour. Did this ever make it in? not seeing a mention of it other places

3. UModeler

UModeler

Implementing smart unwrapping something like that isn't easy but I'll add this request to the todo list.
    Okay, I'll add the camera zoom in/out speed parameter to the settings in UV Editor in the upcoming update.

Thank you for the feedback!

WinterboltGames likes this.
  4. UModeler

UModeler

I think the vertex snapping mentioned at that time is 1D snapping like this. right? This works by moving the gizmo holding CTRL and taking the cursor to the other vertex.

5. redoxoder

redoxoder

hello just buy your asset ...and it look not so easy to use ...:(
    i m real beginner and looking for tuto base ....
    and
    in 2.6 it is possible to set text based menu ??? it look to missed...
    thanks
    :rolleyes:

6. UModeler

UModeler

Thank you for purchasing UModeler.

The following document will help you to get started with UModeler.
    https://umodeler.github.io/overview.html

The following post says about tutorial videos for beginners like you.
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/rel...within-the-editor.462506/page-13#post-4496599

I'm going to make FAQ page sometime soon to help ppl who just begin to use UModeler.

And the way of switching the menu display to Text based is that you have to click Right Mouse Button on the empty space in the UModeler inspector to bring up the popup menu and toggle Icon Based Menu off or toggle Text Based Menu on as below.
    bandicam 2019-05-10 00-23-55-853.jpg

Willbkool_FPCS and redoxoder like this.
  7. redoxoder

redoxoder

thanks for your reply .
    i want use your tools for create soft mesh collider for existing 3d model.(house) etc ..

UModeler likes this.
  8. Dickie

Dickie

Aah, cool. This appears to only work on the model's own vertices? Is there a way to get it to snap to other model's vertices like pro builder?

9. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler couldn't be better than any other assets for the purposes. :)

10. UModeler

UModeler

Sadly the 1D snapping works on only an UModeler object
    But if what you were saying is about Vertex Snapping working by holding 'V', it works for UModeler objects as well because that is the default feature of Unity.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  11. UModeler

UModeler

Hello everyone

Recently there have been frequent updates for hotfixes because there were big code changes in UModeler 2.6 which made some problems that wasn't found when 2.6 was released. Fortunately some users found the issues and reported them. I managed to fix them through several updates for the last few days. The changes are as follows.

Version 2.6.4 - May.10.2019
    Hotfix : Fixed errors while UModelerizing.
    Hotfix : Fixed bug where the selected UModeler object disappearing when entering the game mode.
    Hotfix : Fixed bug where icons look a little bit whitish.

Version 2.6.3 - May.7.2019
    Hotfix : Fixed bug where Export Tool in UV Editor doesn’t work in the latest Unity.

Version 2.6.2 - May.3.2019
    Hotfix : Fixed bug where combine objects and boolean operation don’t work.

Version 2.6.1 - May.2.2019
    Hotfix : Missing sciprt in the existing UModeler component.
    Hotfix : Not displaying the cursor and overlays in Unity 2019.1.0f2

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  12. montenom

montenom

Weird question, but can you flip normals on this, and is it easy to use for creating interiors?

13. Falxo

Falxo

Hello, sorry for replying to an old post, but I figured asking you directly is a lot faster than blindly searching around.
    Was there any progress with that?
    Is UModeler utilizable in runtime now?
    There isn't a specific mention on the store page of that.

14. UModeler

UModeler

Yes, you can flip a polygon's normal by using Flip Tool. See the document of it here - https://umodeler.github.io/TweakGroup/FlipTool.html
    Of course, flipping polygon normal makes you build interiors easily. Or you can use draw 2d shapes and make them 3D using PushPull tool to create interiors. See this video.

Willbkool_FPCS likes this.
  15. UModeler

UModeler

Hello Falxo,
    There are two methods for runtime support.
    The first is the script-level support for procedural mesh. This is planned to be done when it's ready. but it'll take some time.
    The second is to provide runtime editing as in editor. This is not what UModeler seeks. If this had to be done, it would be another asset.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  16. Alic

Alic

Just a quick note for others, I had a project I'd upgraded to 2019 that wouldn't display the scene view overlay even after updating UModeler yesterday. The fix (after downloading the hotfixes) was reverting factory settings for my unity layout -- the overlay is back!

17. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Alic,
    Could you show me the screenshot to let me fix it?

Alic likes this.
  18. Alic

Alic

I don't understand -- the screenshot? Unfortunately I can't take a screenshot showing off the overlay being invisible anymore because it's working correctly now. But I'll let you know if the scene view overlay disappears again.

UModeler likes this.
  19. Alic

Alic

I had a quick question about Umodelerizing already created models:

Is there any way to keep the normal smoothing/smoothing groups from the original model? It's annoying to have to always set up smoothing groups to get lighting to behave correctly, when I just want to delete a small piece of a model.

Thanks for your awesome work on UModeler!

20. UModeler

UModeler

Unfortunately UModelerizing doesn't maintain the original normal vectors if a mesh has smooths surfaces. I'll fix this in the upcoming major update. Thank you for the report.

Alic and Willbkool_FPCS like this.
  21. Alic

Alic

Thanks, that sounds awesome! Being able to quickly edit a model built somewhere else without losing data will make UModeler jump from about 25% of my modeling time to over half. There are so many times I want to just quickly tweak something while doing level design, and the interface is so easy to use that it's often way faster than opening the model up in a separate program. Looking forward to it!

UModeler likes this.
  22. Saiga308

Saiga308

I have a feature suggestion. Option to Export Polygon Groups as submeshes when exporting to .OBJ. For example, I have a crate, I select all sides except the top and assign it to the group "main". I then select just the top and assign it to the group "top". When I export the .OBJ file, I would like to see the two meshes in the .OBJ, main and top.

Maybe a checkbox in the Polygon Group tool, something like "Include in export".

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Alic and UModeler like this.
  23. UModeler

UModeler

Hi Saiga308
    This feature sounds good. I have a plan to improve Polygon Group Tool in the upcoming major update. I'll add this by then. Thank you!

Saiga308 and Alic like this.
  24. Dickie

Dickie

hmm that's disappointing, I think I shall have to stick with pro builder for a lot of my use cases then. Thank you for answering

25. UModeler

UModeler

Today UModeler 2.6.6 for hotfixes have been submitted so I think it'll be available in a couple of days. And I found that 2.6.5 release notice has not been posted yet. Actually it was out 2 weeks ago. So I've added the 2.6.5 released note to the end.

Version 2.6.6
    Hotfix : Fixed bug where triangle count is not correct Hotfix : Fixed bug where the detached uv islands or polygons don’t move separately without holding CTRL+SHIFT. Hotfix : Fixed bug where blue cubes representing vertex positions and polygon center positions aren’t vanished when UModeler object is deleted.

Version 2.6.5
    Hotfix : Fixed bug where moving a vertex or an edge sharing two polygons that have different materials doesn’t work.

26. UModeler

UModeler

On second thought I think this can be implemented without difficulty. I'll make it possible to snap a vertex to another in both the same object and other object's mesh like probuilder in the upcoming update. :)

27. UModeler

UModeler

Two minor updates(2.6.7 and 2.6.8) for hotfixes have been done recently. Compatibility with ProBuilder 4.x has been improved and the UModeler prefab instantiation issue in code has been solved so now the instance of UModeler prefab is displayed in the scene after being instantiated. Lastly Meshfilter's mesh gets saved as .asset when you export UModeler as .prefab using Export Tool.

UModeler_with_ProBuilder.gif
    UModeler icons and ProBuidler 4.x icons are displayed with no overlap from UModeler 2.6.7
    For a more detailed breakdown of this update, check out the release note.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  28. Zeffi

Zeffi

2.6.8 definitely helps with the prefab issues! Though I do notice issues still. For example, whenever I create an Umodeler object, drag it into the hierarchy as usual, it seems to work, but when the next time I start Unity or click on the prefab, the Mesh Filter doesn't use ANY mesh (displays "none"), and the preview icons are blue boxes again. If I open the prefab, the mesh is used as expected.

This happens when I save the mesh (both with save and save as), too.

That causes a number of issues - it breaks the prefab usage in tools like Octave3D, for example. Is there a way to fix that? Should I use "export" to create prefabs instead?

29. UModeler

UModeler

Once you save a mesh as .asset, you'll be able to use it to restore a missing mesh in a prefab.
    If this does not work, can you try to export only an mesh as .prefab after deleting UModeler Component?

30. Zeffi

Zeffi

Thanks for looking at my comment! Indeed, if I restore the mesh by setting the asset again, it works until I start unity again or click on the prefab. Then the mesh gets unassigned again (and get me an error: "Setting the parent of a transform which resides in a Prefab Asset is disabled to prevent data corruption (GameObject: '__Modeler_HelperObjects__')" ).

Deleting the umodeler component and exporting the mesh does work, though - a prefab created without the script seems to work just fine.

31. UModeler

UModeler

I'll take care of this issue asap. Thank you for the detailed explanation!

Zeffi likes this.
  32. Zeffi

Zeffi

You're welcome. Thanks for being so on top of things when it comes to minor bugs like this :) That kind of attention is likely why Umodeler's so good.

(If I may, a small question to you or the users of the tool: Is there a way to use the global axis or the axis of the 3D cursor for movements, extrusions, etc?

Specifically, sometimes I would want to move a single face, or a bunch of vertexes, in an exact direction, but instead, what Umodeler wants me to move it to is a seemingly direction - based on a normal, I assume. I am pretty sure there must be an option to move in a more defined direction instead, I just can't for the live of me figure out how!

This comes up in the following situation:
    -Create box, 1x1x1 as usual, aligned to the world axis
    -Add inlay and bevel
    -notice you want to have the box as 1x1x1.5 instead, select the vertexes on that side, but instead of the world axis direction I want, it wants to move in a diagonal direction instead. It'd be super convenient for a way to just say 'screw the assumed direction, move in the world axis instead')

33. UModeler

UModeler

Actually I don't think that's the minor bugs because the prefab is used frequently. And the most issues associated with the prefab are tricky to be handled. Anyway I'll try to deal with the prefab issue asap.
    Hi Zeffi,

Local/Global in Gizmo handle position toggles at the top of the unity editor is interlocked with UModeler's gizmo.

Please check out if this is Global or not to move the selected elements in the global coordination

If you want to more info about that, please check out the following links.
    - https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/PositioningGameObjects.html
    - https://umodeler.github.io/overview.html

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  34. God-at-play

God-at-play

Thank you for UModeler! With my first object, I'm already having a big problem. How do you set the pivot to the center of an object? I just want to make a cube with beveled edges and a pivot in its center. It seems like a simple thing, but there aren't the pivot tools to do that...

And there's no source, so I can't seem to make this change myself.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  35. God-at-play

God-at-play

Figured it out! It's a little unintuitive, so would you be willing to put something in the documentation for future users? I searched for how to do this first and found no results in the docs nor in this thread.

I had to enable the 3D cursor, select the object's faces (verts or edges would work too I'm sure), and then in the UModeler component itself click "Move to Cursor" (i.e. not in the menu), then select the Pivot Tool, which sets the pivot to that spot.

Could you also move or add "Move to Cursor" to the Tweak menu? Seems like that button should be in the actual menu. I suppose that'd be an alternative to putting an explicit mention of how to set pivot to the center in the docs.

I dunno, maybe it still deserves it's own dedicated action, since it's pretty common. Anyway, I wanted to report here in case anyone was searching for this in the future and in case nothing is done to address it.

UModeler likes this.
  36. UModeler

UModeler

Hi God-at-play,
    Actually I've figured out how to do this from your upper description. But there is a tool called "Pivot To Center" in Tweak group. It makes the bottom-center a pivot, though.
    This works. The center of the selected elements will move to the 3D cursor location when "Move To Cursor" button is clicked as you said.
    This idea sounds good. I'll think about this. If I had an icon of "Move to Cursor", I would be able to add "Move to Cursor" tool in the Tweak menu easily.
    The tip you told has been added to FAQ page for people who would experience the same issue. Check it out here

Thank you for your feedback!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    twitchfactor likes this.
  37. DerFuchsartige

DerFuchsartige

Hello i really love UModeler but i can't find something like "World Snapping".
    E.g. If you have a vertice/Plane with an XCoordinate 1.348795... and i want it to be 1.5 , but when set the "Grid Size" to 0.5 than it is (+)1.848795... or (-)0,848795... but i want to snap it to (+)1,5 or (-)1.0.
    Or like in (slow) Probuilder when i enable "Togle Snapping" in ProGrid

38. UModeler

UModeler

Hello,
    Apologies for delayed reply. I put my answer to your question below.
    I agree that UModeler also must have this feature. I'll add this in the upcoming major update which is going to be done soon.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    DerFuchsartige likes this.
  39. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler 2.6.10 is available.

UModeler 2.6.9 and 2.6.10 have been released one after the other. These updates were triggered by feedback from a few users about broken lightmaps in play mode and disappearing mesh with smoothing group in play mode. I thought they were serious so decided to update UModeler for the hotfixes. Apart from them there are more improvements in these updates. Check them out below or here.

Version 2.6.10
    Hotfix : Fix bug where lightmaps are broken in play mode.
    Hotfix : Fix bug where the gizmo disappear when getting back to edit mode from play mode.
    Enhancement : Enhanced Tools > UModeler > Refresh All to fix invisible mesh and generate secondary uvs etc.
    Change : Changed Generate Lightmap UVs to Lightmap Static and added Generate UV2 channel for Lightmap button to Local Settings tool

Version 2.6.9
    Hotfix : Fixed bug of primitive shape group tools and pushpull tool where pushing or pulling a face sometimes causes unexpected sudden move when the mouse cursor points at somewhere in the background.
    Hotfix : Enables 3D cursor to be displayed in object mode.
    Hotfix : Fix bug where UModeler meshes with smoothing groups disappears in play mode
    Enhancement : Added Top Center, Center and Bottom Center buttons to Pivot To Center tool.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  40. UModeler

UModeler

Top Center and Center options have been added to Pivot To Center Tool in UModeler 2.6.10 so you'll be able to set the pivot to the center much more easily and quickly.
    See this - https://umodeler.github.io/TweakGroup/PivotToCenterTool.html

41. God-at-play

God-at-play

Thanks so much! That's really cool.

Just to confirm, there's no ability to flip edges, correct? i.e. look at polygons that share the selected edge and cycle through changing which vertices the edge connects to.

I'm trying to make a simple axe shape and just want to flip two edges since they're not the orientation I want. For example, in the attached image I want to flip the edge in that lower triangulated quad.

axe-mesh-flip-edge.png

Currently the solution is to remove the edge, which sometimes also removes polygons that edge divides and then bridge them back in, and then use the line tool to draw an edge connected to the desired verts. This can get pretty convoluted, though. Let me know if I'm missing a tool that does this already! Intuitively, I'd expect the Flip tool to support edge mode and flip edges.

42. AlphaTested

AlphaTested

Hello! I just recently purchased the UModeller and it looks very promising, but I already stumbled upon a bug. While in vertex, edge, or face editing mode using gizmo for scaling along Z (blue) axis does not seem to work, while gizmo for scaling along Y (green) axis does scaling along Z. More than that in vertex and edge modes while scaling that way selected vertices start to jitter along Z axis. I hope this gets fixed soon. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Just giving some more information: in my selection all vertices have same Y coordinates.

43. UModeler

UModeler

Hi AlphaTested,
    I've tried to scale vertices with the same y position using the scale gizmo. It seems to work as shown in the following .gif image.
    UModeler_Scaling.gif
    Is there something that I missed to reproduce the bug?

Thank you! :)

44. UModeler

UModeler

Is what Edge Flip would be expected to behave to flip two faces sharing the selected edge?

45. UModeler

UModeler

Hello guys,
    UModeler Discord server has been opened publicly on 8th.July.
    The server will provide the latest news and useful information about UModeler as well as a comfortable chat place. Moreover you can give feedback and report bugs via it. Please Join the Server here - https://discord.gg/Pfct3hf. Look forward to chatting with everyone!

discord-logo_3.png

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
  46. UModeler

UModeler

UModeler is 34% off on sale for 78 USD. Now it's time to get UModeler to save your time. Click here to get to the asset store.
    34pro_Sale_screenshot4.jpg

47. UModeler

UModeler

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  48. viktorkadza

viktorkadza

Hello! is it possible to use umodeller with scripts? For example making custom parametric shapes. Thanks.

49. Kaivaan

Kaivaan

feature request
    1) 3d text extrusion support
    2) SVG import
    3) existing 3d model modification
    4) custom shapes
    5) offset tool like in sketchup

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  50. UModeler

UModeler

Hello,
    In theory you could make a mesh procedurally using UModeler script if you hacked into the UModeler dll files. Sadly UModeler script isn't yet public, though. However I plans to expose some UModeler source codes so that users can use UModeler script at both runtime end edittime sometime soon. So please wait till it's done.