Search Unity

[Release] PDG - Procedural Dungeon Generator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jungleafk, May 3, 2022.

1. jungleafk

jungleafk

Hi! I've been working on dungeon generator for a while and finally released it.

The main idea is to separate layout from actual dungeon, so you can choose any structure generator you need and use it in combination with any builder(currently there are 2 - tilemap integrated, and gameobject builder that builds everything from prefabs) you need.
    t.jpg
    Currently it doesn't support any imaginable dungeon type, but you can create pretty big variety of dungeons with different setup(based on adjacent rooms, or random rooms distribuiton, or with some "routes" where you can surely get from one zone to another), spawn objects(obstacles and not) on certain places, select different room forms(like maze, coridors, turning coridors... - you can see them all in the video). Of course, custom walls and floor are supported.

Another feature which is harder to use(but was also one of my main initial ideas) is step-by-step layout generator, that allows you to setup layout by using special modifiers.

Main features:

Link: https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/pdg-procedural-dungeon-generator-220018
    Docs: https://github.com/roflseech/procedural-dungeon-generator-docs

Last edited: May 3, 2022
    StevenPicard likes this.
  2. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

I bought this and really like it! I had a question, is it possible to add random wall decorations like torches and banners? Also, any plan for roofs and multiple floors? Sorry, this may be answered in the documentation but I just started playing with it due to impatience. Lol

jungleafk likes this.
  3. jungleafk

jungleafk

I am glad you like it!

Currently nope, wall decorations are not supported, but i have an idea how to implement it in, kind of, universal way, i think i can add this feature somewhere around next week.

As for roof - right now the only way is to combine it with floor and adjust to the height for target room walls. Also i can add an option for custom roof that adjusts to walls mesh height automatically, or depending on some height parameter...

Yep, i have plans for multiple floors - i have a few ideas how to implement it, but i am honestly not sure which way would be the best. Like... connection right to the boss room next floor right from the start room would be bad lol, and in the same time if there is only one connection on the whole floor it is also not good for most of cases, so i need to think how to implement some limitations, that are easy to control and that dungeon still makes sense.

But not with the next "big" update(which is coming in naerby future, i think next month or even earlier) - i have some smaller fun ideas(incuding cube and hexagonal landscape where rooms will work as biom origins and tilemap "landscape" that you can combine with some other generetors that will place houses there, basically sort of like stardew walley, as well as some small features that just add more options for already existing things) that i really want to implement first, because i already have some prototypes and result seems fun!

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    StevenPicard likes this.
  4. StevenPicard

StevenPicard

Sounds really awesome. I am definitely planning on using it in my current game but the wall decorations would help (and if not too hard, it'd be nice to have the option of adding decorations in corners such as spider\cob webs, etc.) It really is an exciting asset because I really like how you implemented things so far. I can't wait for the planned improvements!!

jungleafk likes this.
  5. BubbaRichard

BubbaRichard

jungleafx wrote -- i have some smaller fun ideas(incuding cube and hexagonal landscape where rooms will work as biom origins and tilemap "landscape"

If you're interested, here is a link to my youtube tutorials on the same subject. They are 3D but they are cubical and hexagonal. I think you could still get some ideas out of them. They're still being developed, I hope to have both finished in the next two weeks.

BadProgrammer - YouTube

jungleafk likes this.
  6. jungleafk

jungleafk

Nice! I am going to implement both 2D and 3D.

7. w409544041

w409544041

Hi,will it support 2d tilemap,i want implement room like "Rogue Legacy 2".

jungleafk likes this.
  8. jungleafk

jungleafk

Something like rogue legacy 2 is impossible to implemeent now, because current 2d tilemap implementation wasn't intended for side-viiew, so you can't place objects on the floor and create a doors that are surely reachable from the floor(they will not necessary spawn at the bottom), and even more importantly there is no guarantee that all platforms will be reachable when player jumps.
    Basically, like i drawn here lol
    1235.jpg
    It's not that hard to implement though, and honestly i have no idea why i didn't seriously think of this use-case for generation, so i will definitely add some new "builder" that places objects on the floor and adds platforms according to player's jump height. Just check for updates(except minor update that coming soon), maybe one day(in early june?) you'll see that it supports what you need!

w409544041 and StevenPicard like this.
  9. w409544041

w409544041

Very Nice,i am looking forward with it.

10. UDN_165a1249-a0c9-4099-8ba0-53daf2789359

UDN_165a1249-a0c9-4099-8ba0-53daf2789359

HI, i just brought this package, does this work on mobile, and also how do i use the level once i have create something i like in my game, i know this sounds very silly question, iam very new to this, please help. thank you.

11. jungleafk

jungleafk

Yes, it should worlk, it just generates tilemap or gameobjects, there shouldn't be any performance problems i think.

The easiest way - add player to spawn list of some room, and you will be able to play on that level right away.
    For example if you use RouteDungeon - you can set tag for Start room.
    vv1.jpg
    And after that you can add player prefab to that room.
    vv2.jpg

If you need to do some initialization for your game once it's generated(attach existing camera to player for example?) - there is event on builders coordinator, you can call any fucntion you need there.
    vv3.jpg

Attached Files:

• vv3.jpg
      vv3.jpg
      File size:
      24.8 KB
      Views:
    StevenPicard likes this.
  12. brombs73

brombs73

Hi. The framework is great.
    I have a question, is it possible to set the cell size greater than one?