Search Unity

[RELEASE] Nuaj', the 3D clouds simulator

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Patapom, Dec 16, 2011.

1. TDH_DrThirteen

TDH_DrThirteen

Hey
    will particles that use the built-in particle shaders get overdrawn by the sky of this asset.
    I tried another cloud solution but my particles were overdrawn by the sky.
    So i would like to know if it is different with Nuaj'.

2. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I'm pretty sure it's no different with Nuaj.

3. TDH_DrThirteen

TDH_DrThirteen

it would be nice if someone could test this really quick

4. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

If you read back through these posts, you will see it mentioned.
    Scan each page for pictures and one of them shows this.

5. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Actually, I just did a quick scan and didn't find it myself (just looking at images),
    I have tried it myself and the rendering is as you found in other packages.
    There may have been a solution using more than one camera, but I never tried that.

6. TDH_DrThirteen

TDH_DrThirteen

Well thank you for your help :)

7. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Yeah, I know, not much help.
    It still might work with using a second camera in the scene rendering the particles separately.
    It is a very good looking sky/cloud package, though it can eat resources.

8. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I gave you some misinformation.
    In the latest beta of version 5 (Unity) there seems to be no problem rendering particles against the Nuaj sky.
    Getting ready to install the latest version of 4.6 beta to see if it works there. Will do screen movie to show results.
    What version of Unity are you using?

9. TDH_DrThirteen

TDH_DrThirteen

I am using Unity 4.5.3

10. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

OK, sorry for taking so long but I rebuilt my system from the OS up just a few days ago and still getting all my software back in use. Video showing particles against Nuaj sky with Unity versions 4.6b21 and 5.0b9.

11. TDH_DrThirteen

TDH_DrThirteen

Thank you for your effort.
    I guess I have to find another solution for my clouds then.:(

Don-Gray likes this.
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is it possible to have any cloud depth with the system ? Like a cloud cover that can extend from ground to space.

EDIT: Just read about the issue with particles, is it happening with every transparent item as well, or just particles ?

13. Quickfingers

Quickfingers

Bought this after trying the web player and it worked fine. Imported Nuaj into Unity 4.5 on a new project on my Mac, now when I try and use it the clouds display fine but there is no translation on the clouds as I move the camera around. They just stay where they are, rotation works, but translation does nothing. When I try to move up through the clouds they just start changing colour but do not move! Tried on a Windows PC and everything worked normally. Anyone experienced this?

14. The-True-Zap

The-True-Zap

Hello!

I am having the exact same problem as you, sky and clouds render in front of everything! I saw NO answer to your problem yet :( Did you have success in finding where the problem was? It seems it ignores the depth values completely and renders on top.

Patapom, do you have any idea what might be the cause? Fyi, We are using the new 1.2 version from the Asset Store.

Thanks in advance! :)

15. mittense

mittense

This is likely a month too late, but my issue was (after a painful night of debugging) in this order: one camera where particles would render into the sky and lose their opaqueness. Then a two-camera approach where the second camera had to be non-deferred (if the first one was, which for me it was). Then some miscellaneous weird workarounds. And then I tossed [ImageEffectOpaque] before OnRenderImage in EffectComposeAtmosphere and put that image effect at the top of my one camera's image effect queue.

16. mittense

mittense

Has anyone in this thread had any luck with writing particle shaders that take the fog for the area into account?

17. imtrobin

imtrobin

@mittense, I presume the particles are drawn on top of cloud always or did u manage to find a way to draw properly?

18. mittense

mittense

yeah, using [ImageEffectOpaque] for the composite script worked for me

19. zelmund

zelmund

hi there.
    is it possible to see correct cloud setup if i have 2-3 cameras in same place but watching in different rotation axes?

20. mradfo21

mradfo21

i too wonder this

21. guru20

guru20

Has anybody tested Nuaj on 5.1? Tempted to purchase it (although price at about half of what it is would be a lot more tempting), but want to be sure it works on newest Unity, though (a lot of my older assets broke upon upgrades around 4.6-5.0 timeframe)

22. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

I don't know if the developer is still working on Nuaj, could be in the background, he logged in to the forum on May 29.
    The last Asset Store update was 1/14. The 3D clouds and lighting are very nice, not sure if it works in 5.1, haven't imported it.
    My package of choice in this area (now) is Time of Day.

23. mittense

mittense

trueSKY Alpha is something more akin to Nuaj, and it's great.

24. zelmund

zelmund

difference in price and who knows, maybe developers of truesky Alpha will stop support they product too.

25. Patapom

Patapom

EvilFox and elbows like this.
  26. EvilFox

EvilFox

Patapom, thank.
    Maybe it makes sense on the assetstore page specify that unity5 supported (in text for search)?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  27. lazygunn

lazygunn

Hey patapom havent seen you in a bit (if you read this), good to see you updating nuaj, has it had any changes/improvements made relating to your further work in the field? I'm using tresky atm and liking it a lot but i am interested in what you're up to. Mebbe i should hound your repos again

28. SazanOFF

SazanOFF

Hi everyone. I recently bought nuaj. And i have many problems, Nuaj don't work with Transparent shaders. i have this bug:

Can help please?

29. Patapom

Patapom

Hi!
    Yep, rendering of alpha objects doesn't work with volumetric effects like clouds. This is simply because the volumetric objects use the values written in the depth-buffer to compute the atmospheric effects, and alpha objects and particles don't write in the depth-buffer.
    The simplest solution to somehow make your alpha objects render correctly is to draw them in a separate render target, and blend them on top of the Nuaj' post-process using that other render target's alpha.
    Of course, if you do that you'll find out that you're limited in your blending options like no multiply effects, or no additive depending on your choices. It's kinda hard to get working properly but it's doable... (a good example is the game "Shad'O" for which I wrote the volumetric fog that I managed to make properly behave with the numerous particle effects used in there) (and that was a long time before Nuaj', but Nuaj' uses the same process).

Regards,

. Pom .

30. Patapom

Patapom

Yeah, truesky is great. I have to admit these guys nailed it... I haven't been working on cloud effects or upgrading Nuaj' for more than 3 years now because I'm currently working at Arkane studios on Dishonored 2, and trust me this baby is gonna rock! (but it also requires a lot of attention, that's why I'm never here, sorry about that)
    Maybe when the game comes out (after I sleep for 6 months non-stop), I'll go back to making big fluffy clouds? :)

m4d and imtrobin like this.
  31. mittense

mittense

Oh man, hey Austin brother! Harvey and Raf are good friends of mine. :)

32. lazygunn

lazygunn

Dishonored was probs my favourite game of the last generation so forget clouds, they've been done! Share some of D2's magics

Oh and grats on the Arkane posting, they've been faves since arx fatalis

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  33. jobs

jobs

When switch to dx11 ,screen is black.how to solve this?I'm using unity2017.3,which have removed dx9

34. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Sorry to say, the developer hasn't been seen on the forums since July 2017.
    This is my package of choice now.
    EnviroSky