Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Release][Free] Unity Sprites And Bones - 2D skeleton animation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TheRealBanbury, Dec 29, 2013.

1. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

Thanks TheValar. I appreciate it very much. And I will merge it at soon as I can.

2. TheValar

TheValar

Another small addition. I added a create helper button to the IK component. I found the current way a bit tedious so I streamlined it.

Now you press the create helper button on the ik component to...

- create helper object named after the bone
    - set the skeleton as the parent
    - set the helper as the ik target
    - set the position of the helper to be the same as the bone

3. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

Nice! Can't wait to try it out :).

4. flithm

flithm

I'm trying this out for the first time and I'm attempting to create a mesh from a sprite. If I choose the included sintel_tpose sprite it works fine but if I choose one of my own sprites I always get zero vertices. Are the some constraints with the mesh generator I should be aware of? One of the images I'm trying is quite small, but I also tried the original non-scaled version and it produces zero vertices as well?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  5. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

Do you get an error message? The image needs to be readable. Switch the type of the texture to advanced and click 'Read/Write enabled'. It works for me at least.

6. flithm

flithm

Ahh thanks that fixed the problem! Sorry about the stupid question but I appreciate the quick response :).

I'm really loving Sprites and Bones so far... thanks for putting all that hard work out there for free!

7. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

There's nothing stupid about the question. I forgot to mention it in the tutorial. That was stupid :).

I hope you create something nice.

8. FunkyCoder

FunkyCoder

First things first thanks for the free asset! perhaps you can help a newcomer...im getting a conflict with Daikon Forge....the error is
    Assets/SpritesAndBones/Scripts/Utils/HSBColor.cs(9,15): error CS0101: The namespace `global::' already contains a definition for `HSBColor'

this script is already contained in Daikon Forge directory....i believe in examples....

9. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

I took the HSBColor code from the Unity wiki. So I'm not surprised, that other people are using it, too. The simple solution is to delete, one of the files. Another way would be, to surround the HSBColor class with a namespace and change the references within Sprites And Bones. I will add this to my todo list.

10. GeorgeMays

GeorgeMays

Hello. Thank you for this incredible plugin, but I've got some problems here with it.
    We've managed to work animations (If we press play button it works properly), but after I add rigidbody2d to it and trying to control it kinda 'flickering' or becomes working wrong.
    I can send you more information if you'd want help me.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  11. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

Of course I want to help you if I can. If you can upload a sample that shows your problem, I will have a look at it.
    But I have to say, that I'm not surprised, that Sprites And Bones doesn't work well with the Physics simulation. Both bones and IK scripts change the transformation directly, without any regard, what other scripts might do.
    If you could tell me more about, what you're trying to accomplish, I probably could be of more help.

12. TheValar

TheValar

What are you attaching the rigidbody to? I've used this plugin with a rigidbody controller with no issues. My layout was as follows

Character (with rigidbody)
    CharacterRoot(with skeleton)
    Bones
    IK Helpers

This way all of the bone transformations happen locally and you can manipulate the parent rigidbody without affecting them.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  13. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

I have uploaded a new version. Please redownload, if you have already dowloaded Sprites And Bones before.

New features:
    * Added ability to name poses
    * Streamlined the IK Helper creation process
    Both were contributed by TheValar. (Thanks a bunch!)

There are also some minor bug fixes.

14. flithm

flithm

I'm playing with the mesh creator to do mesh deformation again and for some reason all of my meshes come out larger on the x axis than they should. Anyone know what I might be doing wrong?

Here's an example of a mesh I created via Window->Sprites->Create Mesh and it's got the sprite material being rendered on it via the mesh renderer so you can see what it looks like.

$WeirdMeshSize.png

15. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

Did you change any settings on the texture?

16. flithm

flithm

I just created the texture as advanced with read / write enabled. I've tried a few different textures I created and I get the same results. Can you think of what setting might cause it?

Weirdly it's not every texture that this happens to. Some textures work fine but I can't see a difference between ones that work and ones that don't!?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  17. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

Have your textures any empty space on the edges? The algorithm to calculate the size of the mesh, uses the size of the texture.

18. flithm

flithm

Indeed they do! After adjusting the texture sizes all is well again.

Thanks for the help!

19. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

TheValar created a tutorial to show off the new features he added to the last version:

Also Sprites And Bones has now a homepage.

20. TheValar

TheValar

21. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

This is really great! It's a dream come true. Can't wait to try it.

22. Barbacamanitu

Barbacamanitu

I think I've found a bug with the new update. When creating IK automatically, the helper does not cause the pose to change in the editor. While debugging your code, I found that the Update isn't being called unless I run the game.

23. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

Well, that's strange. I just tried it, and it works quite fine. Could you tell me more, what you have done? Are there any error messages in the console window?

24. Kelde

Kelde

@TheValar: hats off to u sir, that game is insta downbload for me, looks very fun:D

25. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

I have uploaded version 1.1 of Sprites And Bones with the long awaited weight painting. For details visit my homepage.

26. TheValar

TheValar

Thanks a lot!

27. playemgames

playemgames

I think this is great! There are a couple of things I would add if I was technically proficient in doing, so I'll leave these suggestions here:

1) Instead of just bones for deforming the mesh in animation, there could be control points that you could vary the color for for better mesh deformation animation. Varying the colors would be for easy delineation of the points if they cross or overlap.

2) Export to PNG, spritesheet, or some external data format for porting or using for optimization. Would be great if you want to use Unity as an animation tool and use animations outside of Unity or if you want the smoothness of skeletal animation but want to make them into sprites for your game.

3)
    Some kind of Collider editor for the animation for changing up colliders. Adding and deleting colliders per frame and what not, as well as changing properties.

4) Having a point with rotation system where you can add weapons/items/effects ( I think 2DToolkit has this and I know Sprite Factory has this)

5) Integrating ragdolls somehow, or ragdoll physic like behavior to skeletons.

6) Not sure if this is something in terms of a Unity limitation, but PSD layer import, so you can have a PSD file and just have the layers turn to sprites already be in their corresponding positions. That way you can edit the PSD file and everything will just update and you only have to do minor tweaks to the sprites.

I think that just about covers the wishlist that would really put this tool way above and beyond the others. I'd be happy to help out with the design of it, I just don't have any of the technical prowess to make this stuff happen. I do know that animators and game designers would love this all in one clean package, and if it is open source then it is great and every one can contribute and make it better and better. Otherwise, great job with all the features you have put in, it's about time we have someone opening up something like this to the community as we had done in this forum before the Asset Store!

28. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

1) I'm not sure, what you mean by that. Do you know of an application, that does something similar?
    2) Spriter and Spline can do this already. I see no point in competing with them in this area. Spriter's basic version is free to use.
    3) Colliders are already part of Unity. I don't think I could offer anything better.
    4) Do you have an example for that? Is this different from attaching a sprite to a bone?
    5) I have thought about that and believe, it wouldn't be too difficult to implement. I might do it, if anyone really needs it.
    6) There's an asset for working with PSD files (http://u3d.as/content/magic-n-real/psd-layers-to-png-files/2F1).

Thanks for the suggestions and for the offer for help. Could I interest you, in creating a showcase video for Sprites And Bones? My own videos are rather appalling. I'm also interested in any idea to make the workflow and GUI better (within the limits of the default editor GUI).

29. TheValar

TheValar

While we're talking about possible improvements to features/workflow...

Feature:
    So far I haven't really used the mesh deformation portion of Sprites and Bones but as I understand if you want to do this you need one mesh for the entire skeleton. Previously I have used mesh deformation in Uni2D and I liked to have a mostly "non-deforming" skeleton but I would make the legs deform-able meshes. For some reason I'm having trouble describing this so hopefully that makes sense. That would be a nice feature.

Workflow:
    These are a couple things I was thinking about contributing at some point.

Automatic Parenting: This would parse through the sprites in the skeleton and try to make it the child of the appropriate bone.

Relative IK Helpers: I use IK helpers with the chain length of 1 to control the direction of knees and elbows, but it's annoying to have to move them when the leg swings forward and back to make sure there position is correct relative to the leg. It would be nice if (for example) you could make the ik helper for the knee a child of the thigh bone so that the knee helper would always be in front of the leg even when it rotated.

30. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

Nondeforming bones! I completely forgot about those. The checkbox is already there, but I forgot to implement it. D'oh! This is something I will add for certain.

Automatic parenting: Would this be name based? I'm not sure it's worth it. How many sprites do you usually have?

Relative IK Helpers: The problem is, that this would cause a kind of recursive loop in the IK calculation. The thigh bone would move towards the target. The target moves relative to the thigh bone. The thigh bone would follow the target. You get the picture.

31. TheValar

TheValar

So how exactly would you describe "nondeforming bones". I guess a better way to describe what I'm thinking is one skeleton with multiple meshes, some of which deform and some of which don't. Just trying to clarify to see if we're talking about the same thing.

Automatic Parenting: I guess it could be name based. I was more thinking that you get the central world position of the sprite and see which bone has the nearest central world position and then match them. Obviously this would not be perfect but it would probably work in most cases. As far as it being worth it or not I guess that's all just a matter of opinion. I usually just have like 6 to 8 sprites on a skeleton.

I may tackle the auto-parent thing at some point for kicks.

32. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

In Blender one can tell a bone not to deform the mesh. And one can mix deforming and nondeforming bones in the same skeleton. I think, that's what you're looking for, is it? That would be very easy to implement. If you want to have multiple deformable meshes, that would be more difficult. But you could use two skeletons and parent them together.

33. TheValar

TheValar

Yes parenting skeletons would certainly work. A bit more complex to setup but I suppose it would be fine once you got it established.

34. playemgames

playemgames

1) Stickman, it does this well, and it is comfortable to use. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15M3ocxS9I0 or Spline http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Dd2M8XBTo0
    2) Spriter and Spline are not elegant solutions, I have tried them both and neither tool is good enough for me to use in my workflow.
    3) It would be more of an editor window that allows to you assign and create colliders for the different frames of the animation, not rolling your own collision system. That would be ridiculous as you said :) Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FFQYUtAWZXs
    4) Yes it is different from attaching a sprite to a bone, let's say you want to have a grab point on a character, or effect point, we could set a point that has a rotation value and a local position that could attach the sprite/effect/whatever. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=69RT3g8HH3k
    5) Yes I think for any humanoid character it would make animations a lot smoother and easier to animate.
    6) Ugh yet another asset to deal with, and it's not an elegant solution. I could export them all if I wanted to, I would rather have everything just work using one file that would import and export the assets into Unity automagically.

Like I said as an animator and a designer, this is more of a wish list, I think a lot of animators would love to have this same control of things for 2D animating but there are no real good overall solutions out there. I've talked to the people at Spriter and was basically brushed off, and I saw a lot of people post similar things on Spline and saw the same results. They are making tools for their own workflow and needs, but not a general 2D animator who develops game art and animation. For the life of me I cannot understand why all these tools do not support PSD layers since it is something that would save an artist and animator loads of time setting up a rig or making alterations. I mean if they are coding in C# there are some solutions here:

http://psycodedeveloper.wordpress.com/2013/07/16/reading-psd-files-with-c/

Or even looking at the source for the PSD plugin from PAINT.NET http://psdplugin.codeplex.com/

Basically there are a lot of tools out there that do one or the other well, but not everything wrapped into one. Whether or not you can implement these type of features, since this is open source, maybe someone out there will see this list and go from here to make some of this possible for those of us out there that need some really easy to use 2D tools for general animation and game development.

As for helping out with showcase videos, I can see what I can do, if all these features can get implemented into this package and makes a good workflow for me I can definitely take videos to show the progress of the animations in my game and how I use it. Actually I was going to do that for Stickman, but hit a brick wall since it cannot handle zooming and large images properly I pretty much abandoned my quest of using it for my workflow. I'll see if I can make a small test project with it, and play around with it to give you some notes on the GUI and workflow. Just give me a few days to get everything compiled for you :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  35. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

1) I watched the Spline video. That's very impressive stuff. I could never hope to replicate this with the limited time I have.
    2) If Spline and Spriter aren't 'elegant' enough for you, don't hope for anything elegant in Unity :). The editor API of Unity is severly limited. Let's hope the next version of Unity will bring a better GUI.
    3) I will make a note of this. I won't promise anything, but if I can think of an easy way to do it, I might add something like that.
    4) I added the Helper object for that purpose. It's an empty gameobject with a gizmo. Just attach it to a bone and move it where you need it.
    5) I will see what I can do then.
    6) The code to read PSDs is seriously interesting. I will have a look at it. A free solution to work with PSD layers would be really nice. I just wish Unity had better support for custom importers.

I will create some issues on Github for your suggestions. That way they don't get lost. If you have more ideas feel free to create your own issues and tag them as 'enhancement'.

Let's hope that Sprites And Bones attracts a few developers over time. Disappointingly game developers aren't all that interested in open source. Developers of business software seem to be much more generous.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  36. piXXem

piXXem

Hi there,

I m a developper, making a small Unity game within a 5-persons team.
    After researchs, I ve tested Spine but it seems to be not optimized for Unity and... it's not free. Sprites and bones appears as a good solution, I ll give it a try. First of all, thank you for this open source project TheRealBanbury, what ever happens after on our skeletal system choice, it's a great initiative !

I never wrote an Editor addon before and maybe it ll be an occasion to participate to the project, if my needs push to it :)

One question : is it easy to switch clothes (sprites chunks) in game on a bone ?

37. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

The bones are just gameobjects. Sprites are parented to them like you would do with any other gameobject. So switching them by code or in an animation is quite easy.

I would be happy if you decide to use Sprites And Bones. I can assure you, that you won't find a better free solution. Because Sprites And Bones is the only free solution ;).

38. Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski

Excuse my noob question, but what is the advantage of a bones system on a classic - I mean animated empty gameobjet parenting - for a simple plateform game with just a running, jumping and firing with differents weapons ?

39. playemgames

playemgames

1) :D I wouldn't expect you to do this, but maybe there is someone out there that can. This is the beauty of open source is that someone out there may see this post and be like "Oh yeah I can do that!" and implement it.
    2) I'm not talking about elegant in terms of the GUI, it is more of the workflow. I've played around with both Spine and Spriter enough to know that they are still in-development tools and have enough quirks in the flow to turn a lot of animators off. The lack of PSD layer support in both is a major turn off, because managing a bunch of pngs is a real pain if you have hundreds of layers over several characters. Also setting up rigs in both programs are not exactly easy, Spine I find to be a bit easier than Spriter, but still a bit of a chore. Spine's deformation tools are pretty nice actually I have not tried Spriter's deform tools yet however. I know someone who has a Spriter Pro license that said that it is currently impossible to move several body parts at once and you have to do one at a time. The lack of physics in both is another turn off because that is another thing the animator has to emulate. As I said before, Stickman got a lot of things right, despite the wonky UI, it has ragdoll physics, deformation tools, setting up rigs via PSDs, setting up skeletons that could automate walk cycles, and a ton more, but it did not have some essential or familiar animator tools like a standard dopesheet or curve editor. Also the biggest turn off was it couldn't handle really large resolution images and its camera system lacked incremental zoom. So I am sure this can be implemented in Unity, it doesn't need a fancy UI to do these things, it just needs to have a clean workflow to create the animations.
    3) That would be awesome and extremely helpful to have a collider management system for the animations. Unity's native 2D tools are still lacking in this department.
    4) That will be nice, that is a simple solution really. I'm not sure at this point how much more involved it needs to be other than managed by the animation editor.
    5) Awesome, ragdolls will make it much easier on the animator to make some smooth animations.
    6) Great! I think that in itself might pull quite a few people to the tool since it will seriously make the workflow easier to set up a character rig. Yes I agree, Unity is really lacking in the custom importer department.

Thanks for putting them up in the Github. I think there are quite a few game developers that are interested in open source, but there is a stigma with it that most projects, unless they have active feedback, and work being done on them, die out pretty quick, and a lot of developers don't like the lack of support. Commercial software has the benefit of support, and expectations since money is being put into it.

Anyway, I'll share this thread in a few places as well as your blog to see if more people get interested. Thanks for the replies for everything, I'm still working on the write up of the tools, it's been a busy week here for me!

40. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

I had a look at the sources for the PSD plugin and they seem easy enough to adapt for Unity. I will have to remove all the System.Drawing stuff and find a way to convert the byte stream to a texture. If everything works out, I even might make a self-contained addon out of this.

41. playemgames

playemgames

Thanks for taking the initiative on this, soon as my plate is clear tonight, I'll throw up some mock-ups to help improve the workflow for Sprites N Bones!

42. playemgames

playemgames

OK here are some of my notes on the workflow so far:

Not sure why Poses are saved as .asset files instead of a text file, scml, or xml type file so they could be stored, edited, and read outside of Unity if needed. Seems like the poses should be kept in a more flexible format for editing. Even better, just have them added to a text file, scml, or xml file per skeleton. That way instead of tracking a bunch of files you have all the values you need in one nice tidy file.

So far for a simple workflow the GameObject>Create Other>Skeleton works nice enough, but I think you should just add it to Window>Sprites>Create Skeleton as well. Also I see you have some prefabs as well that work pretty nice to just drag and drop, maybe a Skeleton Wizard might be nice where you could set up a simple skeleton based on some bone length values or something. For example, the Skeleton Wizard could say something like:

This would generate a simple skeleton with the bones and sprites for those parts, maybe there could be a generic default value instead of 0, like relative to human average lengths in meters or something. Sprites should be set to None so the user knows they can assign a Sprite if they want to.

Adjusting colors for bones would be nice, and maybe default colors for Left and Right named bones or bones that contain Left, Right, .R, or .L. Also a default color for bones that are not labeled Left or Right.

When Adding IK on a bone, I think by default it should assume the length is the number of child bones and create a target helper. Keep the option available to change the Chain Length and Target, and when clicking on Create Target Helper, just have it retarget to the new chain length with an updated helper. Maybe make it instead of Create Target Helper change it to Assign Target Helper.

Add some buttons for the most used features:

The Edit button would switch between editing and animating mode. Edit mode is for editing the skeleton and rig, animating is for animation of course.

The Pose button would be for assigning a new pose, after clicking the button it could prompt for a pose name. If the name is already there it could overwrite the old pose.

The Reset button would be for resetting the skeleton and sprites to the default pose. I think this would be handy to start new poses and animations and would be used often.

This is about all I can think of for now in terms of it's current scope. Of course if the PSD layering, ragdolls, collider editor, or any of the other features come into play or you would like thoughts on them I'd be happy to share what I think would be a good set up and work flow for them.

43. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

Thanks for the suggestions. You're a veritable fountain of ideas :).

Poses: The poses are assets, because it's the easiest and most compatible way of doing it. Unity doesn't play well with custom file types. Until Unity gets a reasonable way to create custom importers, I won't change that.

Skeleton editor: I like that idea. It could work with skeleton prefabs. I'll put it on my todo list.

Buttons: I don't think, it's possible to create 2D buttons in the editor window like that. At least not without a lot of work.

44. TheValar

TheValar

Love the idea of a skeleton creation wizard! Especially if there was a way to save a skeleton you've created as a preset (just the bone information, not the sprites).

I agree with Banbury about the onscreen buttons. I don't think this is standard practice for Unity extensions and I feel like it would throw people off.

45. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

It's perfectly possible to save skeletons as prefabs. I have included two skeletons as a sample.

46. TheValar

TheValar

Good point.

47. playemgames

playemgames

For the poses, a text file isn't a custom file type, Unity can handle those perfectly well, look into System.XML and System.IO for file handling, I handle my save and load games this way as well as for saving and loading my config file for customizing the options for my game.

As for Buttons, it is most certainly possible, they have them in GameDraw, it is just extending the editor. However as you said, I am not sure how to do it exactly, but something to make the workflow easier would majorly help. Going back and forth between objects to make changes is a pain, having some method of simply clicking a button or hotkey would be much more preferable.

48. piXXem

piXXem

$ik_problem.jpg
    Starting toying with it, I have a problem :
    how could I stop the influence of an IK ? ie I put an IK on a hand, but I don't want it to propagate beyond the arm, I don't want to change the position of the body and the rest, just arm+hand.

I hope that was clear :D

49. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

The Inverse Kinematics component has a property 'Chain Length'. Set this to the number of bones, you want to be influenced. In your case the value should be '2'.

50. TheRealBanbury

TheRealBanbury

In a belated attempt to appear hip, I have created an account on twitter.

https://twitter.com/TheRealBanbury

So follow me into the rabbit hole, if you want to know the latest news about Sprites And Bones.

theANMATOR2b likes this.