Search Unity

Release Date of Unity 4.0

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by atmuc, Mar 14, 2011.

1. atmuc

atmuc

do you have any idea about release date of unity 4.0?

i found some dates about previous releases

1.2 12.2005
    2.0.2 02.2008
    2.6.1 12.2009
    3.2 02.2011
    3.3 03.2011

2. runevision

runevision

We have not announced any release date of Unity 4.0. If anyone pretends to have an idea of such a release date, they are only guessing blindly. ;)

3. Thetal

Thetal

Yeah, but we could try to get an estimate based on release dates of 1.0, 2.0, 3.0. Using linear approximation for example. I know only 3.0 - Aug or Sep 2010 :)

4. atmuc

atmuc

nowadays i will buy unity. unity iphone basic is must for me. i try to make a desicion to buy pro versions. if release date of 4.0 is recent it will be bad for me that i will pay for upgrade. then i will buy iphone basic and wait. if release date is about one year i will buy pro versions.

5. KnifeFightBob

KnifeFightBob

It does seem as if Unity 3 will stick around for a long time, considering the many and frequent heavy updates already in the last 6 months. Don't even try to expect Unity 4 before fall 2012.

Of course, these are my 2 cents, but I think they are pretty modest estimates.

6. n0mad

n0mad

There's a full 2D engine to come before any 4.0, according to Unity team announcements ;)

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Chances are that it will be summer to autumn 2012 in line with Unite 2012 as major enhancement versions and major announcements so far hit around that date, though I expect more like preorder beta to start then with the engine to hit for GDC 2013.

2011 is pretty unlikely out of my view as developing an all new engine core is pretty much impossible in 12 months, already 24 months is rather short with the 2 major fields where Unity is lacking heavily to completely which might require a widely new core: Multithreading and current 3D API and tech support instead of DX9 and OGL 2.0 (I blame apple due to their crawling back instead of finally releasing the OGL 3.x support)

Not even the 100 men dev team of crytek pulls that off and they have 3 platforms, UT has to care for 10+ platforms by now with half as many programmers or alike :)

But we will see, the fact that nobody was willing to confirm that the flash molehill targeting will come to Unity 3.x at made me a bit fishy as molehill likely will become production usable in autumn 2011 to winter - spring 2012 with the targeting likely being ready at launch due to the early availability of the whole platform due to Adobe Labs ...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  8. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

I'm in no rush for Unity 4.0. 3.2 works great, 3.4 will hopefully fix the issues in 3.3, 3.5 will probably be when we get the light probes (and other big thing they're working on which has only been hinted at, but isn't Flash related), 3.6 will probably fix the last few bugs and then a few months later 3.7 will bring the whole Flash thing to pick up a few more sales of v3 before v4 comes along. Mid 2012 we might start hearing the rumors of what 4.0 might have.

9. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

And I am looking forward to it immensely.

10. stimarco

stimarco

Unity Technologies tend to announce new releases at their annual "Unite" events, so I'd expect a 3.x release (probably 3.5) to be announced at this year's. That makes the "Unite 2012" event the earliest potential opportunity for a 4.0 announcement—I think a 4.0 release prior to 2013 is unlikely—with most of the year spent refining and consolidating the 3.x platform with a couple of additional point releases.

It's also possible that the 3.x codebase may be around even longer. Remember: the number after the dot needn't be within the range "0..9". It can go all the way up to 11!

11. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

I don't care about release date. I want to know what new toys we get in 4

12. Artimese

Artimese

But its Unity3D, not 2D, hehehe. Well I suppose its appropriate, given the fact that even I had trouble attempting a 2D game with sprites, its good that they are expanding on this.

13. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

Actually, its Unity! Therefore its a unification of 3D and 2D (well, soon to be anyways).

14. rasq

rasq

For me... it is more important to have DX10 or DX11 in Unity to have AntyAliasing in deffered rendering.

Maybe in Unity3D - 3.4???

15. Muzzn

Muzzn

Unity 5D?

16. fivearchers

fivearchers

I wonder...does Unity have a software maintenance subscription, so we could pay a smaller yearly fee and keep getting updates?

17. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

As far as I know it's always been the plan to skip DX10 entirely and move straight to DX11 when the time is right.

18. Artimese

Artimese

I don't think its possible to have AA in deferred rendering as i was told, the closest you can get is using the edge blur or a custom shader that all other AAA games use. But I cant wait for DX11 :p

19. Dreamora

Dreamora

No.
    You pay a flat fee per major version reduced fee for upgrades between major versions

20. rasq

rasq

Maybe not, but some better buildin solution is necessary.
    Now we have very... very bad solution... Unity have problem with far objects, this is sample: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/87405-Line-rendering-problem

21. Vert

Vert

To be honest the answer you got in the other thread is the direct answer you need to keep in mind. If there are not enough pixels to display the geometry, NO engine will display it properly. The only real way around that is to design levels that do not directly allow that to happen/be seen and to work with a higher resolution as your standard. Judging by the image in the other thread you are working in a low resolution, and that sort of thing can and will happen.

22. rasq

rasq

Hi,
    You are wrong. For that problems is one good solution: AA. I was tried this same scene with forward rendering and AA and it was good line rendering, but i must use Deffered and this is problem... UNITY we need DX11 support !!!!

23. Vert

Vert

I am curious to see a screen shot of using AA for comparison. Given the pixel information I am not sure how it could have cleaned up that well. From the image it appears that the resolution is too low that there will always be some choppy or missing pixels even after anti-aliasing. I see very large visible pixels viewing the image at 1920 x 1080 resolution.

24. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

How much is the upgrade for Unity Pro and iPhone Pro? Just wondering.

Judging from the past history - I think Unity is in a 2-3 year major version refresh cycle right?

I just wish it would be 2013 summer for 4.0 release... cause I just paid for this not long ago! Its too soon to pay for another upgrade!

25. Dreamora

Dreamora

50% of the full price

And I doubt the situation you describe is gonna happen unless "not long ago" is an unrealistic timeframe as "6 months"

26. networkZombie

networkZombie

But I thought it was possible to make 2D games with the current game engine o.0

27. ColossalDuck

ColossalDuck

It is, however its not the best. This new engine will bring Unity up to par in the terms of 2D... Well, I hope so at least.

28. rasq

rasq

29. carking1996

carking1996

That's seriously low.

30. rasq

rasq

Yes, i know. But tis is only for test purpose

31. Anthony85

Anthony85

Hm, I hope UT include Autodesk Kynapse in the 4.0 release.

I've never actually used it, but i watched a tech demo on Autodek's website, and I was very impressed by what i saw (and considering I have virtually no AI dev know-how, that's saying something), here's the link to the tech demo for anyone who wants a look.

Autodesk Kynapse AI Middleware, to view the demo, click on it's link under "Related Information"

Since Unity 3.0 added AD's Beast light mapping system, next logical step would be to add their AI system too.

32. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unity 3 didn't add Autodesks Beast Lightmapping system.
    At the time it was added, AD actually didn't have its rotting fingers even close to it unlike now unhappily.

Also the two things are totally unrelated so even if Beast were AD at the time of addition, there is no "next logical step" as its a whole different, distinct thing :)

33. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hoping there will be a 3.6, 3.7, 3.8 and 3.9 to justify the upgrade price of 4.0!

34. Pixelstudio_nl

Pixelstudio_nl

35. rasq

rasq

Iam waiting, now on this screen You have seen FXAA, this is very bad sollution.

36. Vert

Vert

@rasq

Thanks for the example of the difference.

I have to squint while on my large monitors, but I can see a slight difference there (I tried upscaling but things bot all fuzzy instead of pixelated). I suppose I haven't trained my eyes that well, its mostly indistinguishable between the two for me. I have trained my eyes to look for polygons previously, but never pixels. I can see how it would make a difference now though. Actually I now remember being upset about no AA for the grass on terrains with Unity 3 that made a large difference in quality. I stand corrected.

37. Santana George

Santana George

Hello,
    I want to know about Unity's support for Metro style c# apps

38. Democre

Democre

Are you a cleric? nice necro-bump.

There are other threads discussing metro apps. Nothing definitive from Unity from what I see. Try your own search. Start a new thread if you can't find your answer. Posting this question in a thread with an unrelated topic from over a year ago is something that probably should not have been done.

39. SevenBits

SevenBits

From what I understand from other threads, there will be none.