Search Unity

Question Reimporting a modified FBX directly to an existing object with altered mesh

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ferverence, Oct 9, 2020.

1. ferverence

ferverence

I am a bit curious if there are any methods for getting a Gameobject to re-recognize a mesh that had changed externally on it's FBX - If there is a way to access / reconfigure whatever identifiers it uses to map it to the original mesh -and instead of breaking that relationship, changing it to the new one.

Does anyone know what Unity is parsing on the FBX and whether this can possibly be refreshed on the gameobject via some debug parameter?

I tried to have this conversation on General but here might be more appropriate as it was closed.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

The linkages are indeed inspectable, and this can give you clues to relink things when they change.

When you import an FBX, Unity will chop it into lots of little key parts: the meshes, the materials, the animations, etc.

To see some info about this, you can either view the .meta file associated with it (bring it up in a text editor), or else you can right click on the "Inspector" tab while the FBX is selected, and from the drop-down select Debug.

Now you have a lot of extra info about the chunks that came in, how they were named, etc. If you know how you changed the FBX, this is usually enough to inform you how to reconnect the meshes, materials, anims, etc.

3. ferverence

ferverence

So I managed to salvage the model. I happened to make a backup a while back and was able to import into Unity and just swap the Mesh to that one... thankfully :D

I did start looking at the identifiers but hadn't found anything conclusive. Would be a cool asset though to put together.

4. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

You should start using source control... it's like making as many tiny backups as you want every minute of every day.

I use git with Unity, both professionally and as an indie, and it works great. Lots of tutorials out there for setting it up.

ferverence likes this.
  5. ferverence

ferverence

Thanks! Going to set it up today!

Kurt-Dekker likes this.