Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

regular website as client

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by nycucumber, Jul 7, 2019.

1. nycucumber

nycucumber

hi! before i spend days learning all about networking and multiplayer, I thought it is wiser to ask if this is the right way to go.

i have a game that users can play using their smartphones by simply visiting a website, the web app connects to Firebase and Unity fetch data from Firebase's realtime database. But now we are launching a version in China so firebase or any google service is out. I started looking into unity's multiplayer feature and seems like it is use-able in China. But my question is, do the clients have to be developed in Unity as well? or i can be be a web-app developed in html / css and javascript.

2. g_a_p

g_a_p

Hi. Your question is not so clear. Do you want to use Unity multiplayer (deprecated and new version is still in alpha I believe) without Unity? I don't think this is possible. I'd suggest to go with an independent networking solution for HTML5/JS development.

Joe-Censored likes this.
  3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

A regular website isn't going to work with Unet, and Unet doesn't have any database functionality anyway. I'd just roll my own MySQL solution.

4. nycucumber

nycucumber

we are developing a public game, there will be a super big screen in a museum and there will be visitors, visitors willl use their own smartphones to access a website, and use that website/web app to create their own avatars and all avatars will appear in the big screen.

the main game on the big screen is developed in Unity, we are trying to find a Chinese-Internet friendly way to hook the web-app with the main game.

5. g_a_p

g_a_p

I can suggest our own solution, SmartFoxServer. But maybe others can suggest something else.
    In SmartFoxServer you have both C# API (for Unity) and HTML5/JS API, so you can have independent clients to connect to your Unity game through a website.