Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Regular crashes on project in 2018.3 beta - regression from 2018.2

Discussion in '2018.3 Beta' started by Baste, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Baste

Baste

We're trying to update our project from 2018.2 to the 2018.3 beta. The upgrade process was pretty pain-free, but working in the 2018.3 version of the project gives pretty regular crashes. Updating from b6 to b7 didn't help - it maybe made it worse.

We've got the entire office working on 2018.2, except one programmer that's using 2018.3.0b6 for Linux, and me trying to get 2018.3 working on Windows. None of the 2018.2 people are getting crashes, and the 2018.3 guy on Linux are not getting any crashes either. I'm seeing pretty frequent crashes - I've already got two by 12:30, and I got to work pretty late!

Case 1095515 is an auto-generated crash report. If someone from Unity wants to look into this, I can upload a copy of the project.

2. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Any chance you could upload your project to the repository QA told you about in their reply? That way we could investigate these issues further.

3. Baste

Baste

Hi!

We ran into some issues where it became impossible for us to work with 2018.3 (1096124), so I never got around to figuring out a proper repro procedure. The crashes were all caused by "working for like an hour, making code changes, playing the game", which I know is super-unhelpful in figuring out what's gone wrong.

If you want to, I can upload a zip of the project anyway, but I have no guarantees that it'll in any way be easy for you to repro the crash. If looking at the files will help anyway, let me know and I'll send it over.

By the way, any chance 1096124 will get looked at? It's a very bad regression. tl;dr: the SerializedObject/Property API is "missing" the fields it's supposed to be targeting, so when I try to clear one array, it clears it and all the arrays later in the SerializedProperty iteration of the same SerializedObject. This meant that all our data about what things to populate the game world with was deleted, so working in 2018.3 meant never being able to edit the game world, which was... less than ideal.

4. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

I think in that case it's probably not necessary, I thought it would be more straight forward with the full project.

It will. Thanks for reporting it! I'll get back to you once I know more.

5. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Looks like 1096124 has been fixed in b10.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  6. Baste

Baste

1096124 was indeed fixed by b10, thanks a lot. Or did you also mean the crashes? I haven't gotten time to look at b10 any more than confirming that 1096124 was fixed.

7. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately not.