Search Unity

Bug [Regression] Packages - missing metadata and .csproj in recent Unity versions

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Kamyker, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Kamyker

Kamyker

I've upgraded project from 2019.3.11 to 2019.3.14 and noticed that packages are loaded/compiled differently than before.

1. Obvious bug - metadata is no longer available, simplest example:

File from package:

Summary description on longer shows up.

2. Next issue is tied to local packages - I'm using this for many packages that are in development but now it's broken. Basically a package could be copied (or created) from "\Library\PackageCache\" folder to "\Packages\". That way .csproj file was created and making changes to source files was incredibly easy. I could simply F12 (Go to declaration) change what was needed and carry on. Now F12 goes to useless metadata file that's readonly.

Additionally I'm using this method with git submodules - a package in "\Packages\" folder is a submodule making it very easy to commit changes and simulate almost exact behavior of someone using default packages installation (Library\PackageCache).

Working with packages is almost impossible, I'd have to remake all submodules in something like "Assets/Packages" and risk Unity changing meta files etc.

This change also goes against what's written in docs:
    In other words, packages in Packages folder are no longer handled the same way as those in Assets folder.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  2. Kamyker

Kamyker

2nd issue resolved with: