Search Unity

Bug Regression in 2021.2.[2-5] with HDRP shadows and large far clip planes.

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by sstixrud, Dec 7, 2021.

1. sstixrud

sstixrud

Bug/Case #: 1386436

Shadows become "blocky" in HDRP when using a very large delta between near clip and far clip planes (space simulations). This issue was introduced in 2021.2.2, in version 2021.2.0 and 2021.2.1 this issue did not exist. This may be related to the "HDRP: Fixed performance on PrepareLightsForGPU by burstifying light loop" change in 2021.2.2, perhaps related to a loss of double precision when converting to jobs.

To reproduce:
    Create a simple HDRP scene with a near clip of 0.1and a fearclip of 1e+07 or greater. Add a single sphere to the scene and then add a light source (in my test I used a high intensity point light). Shadows casted on the sphere will pixelate/boxify.

I have attached two images illustrating the issue, the "normal" looking one is from 2021.2.1 and the problematic one is from 2021.2.2

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
    PutridEx likes this.
  2. sstixrud

sstixrud

I just confirmed that this bug still exists in 2022.1b

3. sstixrud

sstixrud

This issue is still a problem in 2022.1b2 and is not listed as one of the known bugs.

4. iamarugin

iamarugin

I think the case need to be opened, so this bug will have a chance to be fixed.

5. sstixrud

sstixrud

I did submit a bug report, case id: 1386436. Is there something else I should do to get this on unity's radar?

6. iamarugin

iamarugin

Thanks!

7. sstixrud

sstixrud

This issue is sadly still present in 2022.1b3 and is not listed as a known bug, even though the bug has been report has been filed. Is there some other action that I need to take to get this acknowledged?

8. PutridEx

PutridEx

QA lately takes ages.. I have so many bug reports with no response filed a long time ago.
    Tech releases are usually pretty risky though, so for stability you'd need LTS -- which is what 2021.2 will be building to in the coming months.

Like you said, this is probably related to the light burst work backported in that version (which is awesome btw).
    I'd tag the developer who worked on it but I don't know his @ on the forums.