Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Regression bugs, how long is too long.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by koirat, Sep 7, 2019.

1. koirat

koirat

About a month ago (few versions of unit ago) I have submitted a bug.
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...r-size-in-the-initial-collision-of-a-particle

It's a bug with simple particles collision.
    It is a regression bug meaning it was working in a previous versions.
    Since the nature of this bug is very straightforward I was expecting for it to be resolved in the next version.

This problem is quite crucial to me, I don't know exactly what is the methodology unity team is using to order the issues for resolving.
    Is it voting ? Should I already start a campaign for it
    Well anyway if you find it important enough please vote. Just in case ;)

Best Regards.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Some bugs get fixed almost immediately, some may linger for years. A bug that impacts core functionality, a large percentage of the user base, with a relatively simple and low risk fix, will likely be addressed immediately. A bug which impacts rarely used functionality, not that many Unity users, is difficult to fix with high risk of causing additional bugs, will probably never get fixed.

Every other bug falls somewhere in between.

4. ColleenJBrewer

ColleenJBrewer

It takes days for a person to remove regression bugs. Have some patience as it is a difficult task.

5. This is simply false. The time it takes depends on the nature of the bug. There are bugs which can be fixed in a matter of minutes plus testing time, and there are bugs which take weeks or even months to track down and fix properly (although this extreme is adequately rare, luckily).

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2019
    frosted and Ryiah like this.
  6. Deleted User

Deleted User

On a related note: I had a professor who worked on some ASM code for about five weeks trying to find the source of a bug... I know of this because he told the class.

The bug was literally two lines in the wrong order... but can you imagine the H E L L that awaits you everyday for 1 month and 1 week as you seek to find this major bug?? Yet it turns out to be two lines?

Ryiah likes this.
  7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

If it were something large and obvious it would have taken less time to find. No, the nasty ones are usually subtle, sometimes to the point of near invisibility.

Ryiah, Antypodish and Metron like this.
  8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Also, there are bugs which are trivial to fix but may take days or weeks for QA to verify, and bugs which take weeks to fix but are trivial to verify.

Ryiah likes this.