Search Unity

Registered Callbacks Stop Working After Document is Reactivated

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by bugbeeb, Mar 20, 2022.

1. bugbeeb

bugbeeb

I created a fresh scene and added a UI document with a script. The script has Start, OnEnable, OnDisable. In Start I register a mousedown event and in OnEnable/OnDisable I register/unregister a mouseover event like
    ```
    doc.rootVisualElement.RegisterCallback<MouseDownEvent>(e => Debug.Log("Down"));
    ```
    These all work fine when the game starts up. After I disable either the doc or the parent game object and re-enable it, no events fire.
    Unity v2022.1.0b9

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  2. JuliaP_Unity

JuliaP_Unity

Unity Technologies

You should use OnEnable to get the reference to the root visual element of a UIDocument, as it's recreated every time its own OnEnable runs, so it stops working for you because the whole UI got recreated when you disabled/re-enabled the game object.

However, you should reconsider disabling/re-enabling game objects if possible, as with UI Toolkit it's possible to make the UI "disappear" by setting the
    style.display
    to
    DisplayStyle.None
    to make it go away, and then back to
    DisplayStyle.Flex
    to bring it back. That way you don't re-create the UI each time.

Hope this helps! :)

TheWanderingBen likes this.
  3. bugbeeb

bugbeeb

@JuliaP_Unity Thanks for your response. That does indeed fix my issue as I didn't realize the element tree was being recreated each time

JuliaP_Unity likes this.
  4. TheWanderingBen

TheWanderingBen

Wow, struggled for a few hours with this, did not realize that was my problem. Thanks for the thread all!

JuliaP_Unity likes this.
  5. Predulus

Predulus

Does this also affect event callbacks?

Propagant likes this.
  6. Propagant

Propagant

Same question here... Should I unsubscribe from the events or are they handled automatically somehow?