Search Unity

RegisterCallback for ChangeEvent - Dealing with enums

Discussion in 'UIElements' started by OtoriScorp, Jun 10, 2019.

1. OtoriScorp

OtoriScorp

Hi all, I am hoping someone can help me out with registering a callback for when an enum field is changed.

I have tried pretty much all listed control types listed on the UIElements manual with no luck, even tried RegisterCallback<ChangeEvent<EnumField>> and RegisterCallback<ChangeEvent<MyEnumType>>

I've managed to capture all my other controls but this one has me beat!

2. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

That would be
    ChangeEvent<Enum>

One hint that the API is give you is the
    RegisterValueChangedCallback()
    extension method if the
    INotifyPropertyChange<T> i
    nterface. This should always give an indication of the correct type T that acts as the underlying value of controls.

Hope this helps.

3. OtoriScorp

OtoriScorp

Hi Antoine, thanks for the reply :)
    I had also tried using ChangeEvent<System.Enum> as well as all enumField types I could find - nothing I have tried has worked.
    All other controls I am able to hook into such as strings, ints etc - but any enum fields I can't seem to be able to register a callback.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  4. antoine-unity

antoine-unity

Unity Technologies

Hello,

One last thing to try if you are using 2019.2 already : from the main menu open "UI > UIElements Samples" and then select "Choice Fields > Enum". This displays an example of using the EnumField and specifically how to register the change event callback.

If that doesn't help, can you create a simple script that exhibits your issue so we can look into it?

Thanks

5. OtoriScorp

OtoriScorp

Thanks for the reply Antoine.
    Also thankyou for the heads up about the UIElements window, that is very helpful!

I created a new field and initialized it in the C# script in the same way the example was shown - and success! This worked!

Previously, I created the field purely in the UXML file via a PropertyField and binding-path. Doing it this way did not register the callback, curiously though - it did for the other controls I have, just not enums.

Would this be a bug I should report, or just by design?