Search Unity

Regarding drawcalls, speed etc. in WebPlayer/Android

Discussion in 'Immediate Mode GUI (IMGUI)' started by kronholm, Mar 10, 2011.

1. kronholm

kronholm

So I've been reading up on the gui stuff, and it seems to be the concensus not to have more than 20 draw calls when you make Android/IOS games. But what about WebPlayer? I'm making a game, a casual for-fun slot machine, which is built up of pretty much just 2D elements. Yes it's pretty silly to do it in Unity, but I do not like working with Flash at all, and I want to learn more of Unity.

The game has a LOT of GUI items (over 400), which I've tried to offload a bit with spritemanager (the first), thinking that if it ran awesome on Android, with only 15 draw calls, it would run even better on WebPlayer. Wrong. So now, as a temporary solution to having the game run well in WebPlayer, I'm trying with a hybrid of spritemanager for the things UnityGUI can't do, and UnityGUI for stuff spritemanager can't do, such as long lines of text for highscores etc. If I use UnityGUI for displaying the highscore text lines on Android, it slows down immensily though.

Am I to use spritemanager for Android, and stick to UnityGUI with WebPlayer? Or am I doing the right thing for WebPlayer by making a sort of hybrid between spritemanager and UnityGUI?

This really bothers me, as I love to write very optimized code that runs great on low-end PC's, which is part of my target group with this game. It seems it cannot be done, am I wrong? Currently the game chucks along at 10FPS in WebPlayer on an old netbook, yet, another game I made with lots of 3D objects and a 3D animated character, around 3k tri's total in the scenes, runs at 30+ FPS.

Hoping someone has been in the same situation as me, and can give some pointers and tips :)

Ps. am only using one OnGUI() as people in other threads have suggested.