Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Regarding Displaying Data To a menu

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by limaoscar, Nov 23, 2016.

1. limaoscar

limaoscar

hello.
    I'm currently trying to display data that i have mapped into unity via a CSV from a structural engineering modeling software.
    What i would like to have working is a click on and object with a mousedown, and have the data show up in a menu is this possible? ,does anyone know of a way that would help me achieve this goal ?

I have tried using a Gui label, but cant get it to work.
    The data is placed into the "Meta Data" script from the "Scheduleparser" script.

Any advice or help on this matter would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. LeftyRighty

LeftyRighty

going to need more about the data structure you're using to store the data in unity... and how you want this to be displayed.

At a very high level (since we don't have the detail yet) it's usually a case of iterating over the data structure and instantiating UI elements to display the data... with a little formatting on the parent UI panel or whatever to get it to order/display as you need.

The basic tutorials and more one of the more advanced live training sessions on this kind of subject are here:
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/user-interface-ui
    https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/topics/user-interface-ui/intro-and-setup

limaoscar likes this.
  3. limaoscar

limaoscar

LeftyRighty,

thank you for your response, i will look at the tutorial when i have chance between lectures

The CSV is Comma dil just a txt file

ID,Cost,Fire Rating,Description
    294814,500.00,1 hour,burke
    294884,500.00,1 hour,burke
    294917,500.00,1 hour,burke
    294968,300.00,3 hour,luke

The data is then stored to "Data" Script Keys "that you can see in the PNG i attached" , Values. The Key being the headers eg ID, cost,Fire ,Rating,Description

and the values being the 294814, 500, 1 hour, burke. this is stored to each game object, i would want a menu GUI that shows the correct data when that Game object is clicked.

4. limaoscar

limaoscar

thanks for the link im going to try this today